PDA

View Full Version : windows update killed my Internet with ZoneAlarm?

spikejones
09-07-08, 20:48
Okay Peeps. There is a confirmed error with installing Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748) on a PC running Zone Alarm Firewall. After installing the update and rebooting, you will no longer be able to use the internet while zone alarm is running. The best solution is not to download it if you have not already - at least until a fix is made available.

If you have installed it, you can uninstall it by going to Add/Remove Programs in the control panel.

>check the box at the top to show updates
>locate the update and uninstall it
>reboot the PC

dox online
09-07-08, 20:54
Have you tried having a different firewall?

spikejones
09-07-08, 20:55
zone alarm is just fine for me - I see no need to change it. It has never given me a problem.

dox online
09-07-08, 20:58
A few things you should do

Look on the zone alarm website for awnsers
Look on the microsoft website for awnsers
Do that then report back

spikejones
09-07-08, 21:00
^oi vey... :rolleyes:

I know why I didnt see it now.. CCleaner doesn't show updates. Had to go to Add/Remove Programs.

dox online
09-07-08, 21:01
Is it fixed?

spikejones
09-07-08, 21:04
indeed it is..

I might just go file a bug report with MS. I wonder if the same happens with other firewalls though.

jamieoliver22
09-07-08, 21:06
Which update is it in particular?

dox online
09-07-08, 21:06
I think it was that firewall program that couldn't handle it.

St4r
09-07-08, 21:09
^ Otherwise millions would be without internet now. :D

spikejones
09-07-08, 21:10
Which update is it in particular?

Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748)

I just can't seem to find how to file a bug report on those updates now. One party or the other needs to make a fix for it though to be honest. In my opinion though, it should be MS as it is their update and not Zone Alarms!

^ Otherwise millions would be without internet now. :D
Depends if the millions have installed the update or not. I'm sure that there are millions of people who don't even know how to operate windows update, much less set it to automatic update!

Edit: what do you know.. I put that security update into google and the first result was this:
http://nicolask.wordpress.com/2008/07/09/security-update-for-windows-xp-kb951748-kills-zonealarm-firewall/

dox online
09-07-08, 21:13
It can come up with coded messages. Did it have anything on the message at all?

jamieoliver22
09-07-08, 21:14
Security Update for Windows XP (KB951748)

I don't have that one installed I don't believe. I was just wondering as I use ZoneAlarm also.

spikejones
09-07-08, 21:15
^I have not a clue what you are talking about now. Please explain that post.

dox online
09-07-08, 21:16
Who's?

spikejones
09-07-08, 21:20
edit: yeah... I've checked around and the problem is that the security updated alters some network files that Zone Alarm does not recognize. Of the fixes that I've seen:

>uninstall the security update
>set security slider to Medium rather than High.
>or:

If you wish to retain the MS updates and use the Internet Security slider at High (the default and correct setting), then do an uninstall of the ZA, after the required re-boot then manually remove the files found inside of these folders:

# WINDOWS\ Internet Logs folder
# Program Files\Zone Labs folder
# WINDOWS\system32\ Zonelabs folder
# any files in the Windows\Temp folder
# and any files found in the Temp folders found in the Document and Settings
# empty the Recycle Bin

Then re-install the ZA.

I can't verify the last two, but the second one would not be as secure firewall-wise.

dox online
09-07-08, 21:24
yours
I was talking about an error message that is just a bunch of numbers (coded).

spikejones
09-07-08, 21:27
there was no error code. did i mention an error code? - don't answer that!

Problem is solved and there are steps to take for others who come here with the same problem.

dox online
09-07-08, 21:28
there was no error code. did i mention an error code? - don't answer that!

Problem is solved and there are steps to take for others who come here with the same problem.
Yay!:jmp::hea::hea::jmp::jmp::jmp:

jamieoliver22
09-07-08, 21:29
And ironically, my mate just phoned me up saying his Internet wasn't working and I asked him if he had that update installed (as I just read about it on here). And funnily enough, he did, he unistalled it and now it works fine too.

I was talking about an error message that is just a bunch of numbers (coded).

There wasn't any errors, it just didn't work in general. Please don't offer pointless advice again, like you used to do before you were banned. It isn't really helpful.

spikejones
09-07-08, 21:32
glad to have been a guinea pig to figure out the cause and my own solution before I went searching for others with the same issue.

I'm good at that though. I hit a brick wall - cry for help. Then I figure it out, and realize that others had the same problem and the solution was just a search away.

dox online
09-07-08, 21:32
He didn't make it clear that there wasn't any error messages.

jamieoliver22
09-07-08, 21:34
He didn't make it clear that there wasn't any error messages.

If there were any, he would have said... :rolleyes: If you don't have anything else constructive to say, please don't reply any more - I know you are trying to help but you aren't helping matters.

spikejones
09-07-08, 21:42
I've changed the title of the thread to make it easier for people to tell what the thread is about now. Perhaps a MOD can sticky this for a while.

edit.. seems the title won't change in the index though. weird. come quick EscondeR.:)

Simulation
10-07-08, 19:15
Title modified.

The problem hit the BBC today

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7499260.stm

Which was one day too late for me. I spent an hour sorting it out.

All Zone Alarm user should update to the latest version and read their advisory notice.

http://download.zonealarm.com/bin/free/pressReleases/2008/LossOfInternetAccessIssue.html

Neteru
13-07-08, 06:29
Thanks for the warning.