PDA

View Full Version : Bird Website I Made

Melonie Tomb Raider
16-07-08, 02:41
Still under construction, but what I have so far.

The lady I got my little Dax from decided that instead of payment, she would rather have a website, so I'm in the process of designing one for her. She wanted something pretty colorful, so that's what I did. :p

Let me know what you think!

Website (http://ffaandrescue.110mb.com/index.htm)

Legend Killer
16-07-08, 02:49
Looking great so far! Love the colors here. :tmb:

I would definitely change the main area to text rather than one big image though for better load times. ;)

Melonie Tomb Raider
16-07-08, 04:04
I would definitely change the main area to text rather than one big image though for better load times. ;)

Good advice. It's what I did initially, but then I had problems with alignment. It would be different on IE and firefox, then my boyfriend said it was way off on his widescreen monitor.

But I'll try again though, because it would be a lot more effective, people could highlight text that way as well.

tlr online
16-07-08, 04:27
Easy to navigate, which is important. I like it. :tmb:

Melonie Tomb Raider
16-07-08, 04:40
Thanks, Justin. :hug:

Quasimodo
16-07-08, 04:48
I like all the cute little icons :tmb: the .png background takes a second to load, though - maybe changing it to a .gif or .jpg would make it load faster?

Melonie Tomb Raider
16-07-08, 04:52
I'll try saving it as a .gif and see if the quality stays the same. A jpg would make the background white though. :/

Fallen.Angel
16-07-08, 05:11
Simple but *very* effective. Looks great ^_^

Earthcane
16-07-08, 07:42
Love the page layout- cool, funky design, and accessible. :tmb:

Plus, the birds are so cute :p

Legend Killer
16-07-08, 09:39
Good advice. It's what I did initially, but then I had problems with alignment. It would be different on IE and firefox, then my boyfriend said it was way off on his widescreen monitor.

But I'll try again though, because it would be a lot more effective, people could highlight text that way as well.

I'm sure the coding experts here will be able to help you out with any browser alignment issues if they arise. ;)

What font is that you're using there? It looks familiar.

I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product here. :)

xXhayleyroxXx
18-07-08, 17:48
wow everyone on these forums are so talented! and you are no exception, im sure the person u made it from will be really happy! i love the birds :)
xxxxxxxx

Lavinder
18-07-08, 18:27

Jamie might kill me for this, but you could ask him for a little bit of help on that part - AFAIK he is rather good at making things work in both Firefox and IE ;).

Zebra
18-07-08, 18:42
I thought it isn't allowed to post a thread concerning your own website (or a website you've made).

just croft
18-07-08, 18:49
Looking good! Really an easy-going website theme, matches perfectly with the birds!

I thought it isn't allowed to post a thread concerning your own website (or a website you've made).

if she was publicizing the web site she would have probably posted it on Gen chat. she posted it for the web design, and of course on the art forums

Explorer
18-07-08, 20:44

Guess Justin is turning a blind eye if that's the case ;)

Very cute Melonie :tmb:

stereopathic
18-07-08, 20:56
crap. i'm not able to see it for whatever reason. it's prolly my fault. machine's on the fritz right now.

jamieoliver22
18-07-08, 22:21
The design is nice, but you really shouldn't have made it all out of images - I know it seems the easiest approach, but then you run into troubles of things not working correctly; it will make it harder to update the content of the pages; your pages will load much slower (especially when the images are in PNG format like yours are) and be less accessible. You should always try to substitute images with CSS where you can, to make it faster and efficient. And if you do choose to have an image only based site, you should at least have a text based equivalent so people who have images disabled can still see something (including the alttag on images). But yeah, just my two cents.

I always built my sites with a basic structure first, ensuring that I add CSS to make things are in place and then add the images and styles thereafter.

Jamie might kill me for this, but you could ask him for a little bit of help on that part - AFAIK he is rather good at making things work in both Firefox and IE ;).

I don't see much of a problem, apart from the top margin is slightly lower in IE than that of Firefox. Just add this to the 'body' part of your CSS:

margin:0px auto;

Melonie Tomb Raider
19-07-08, 00:21
Great advice Jamie, I'll do that. :tmb:

What do I do about widescreens though? When it's not all in one image (like I had it earlier), the alignment was off on my bf's widescreen monitor.

tombraiderluka
19-07-08, 00:24
It's great, I love those two cute little birdies kissing or whatever they're doing :D :hug:

jamieoliver22
19-07-08, 09:15
Great advice Jamie, I'll do that. :tmb:

What do I do about widescreens though? When it's not all in one image (like I had it earlier), the alignment was off on my bf's widescreen monitor.

You are probably using absolute positioning, which you shouldn't use. As long as you have margin:0px auto; in your body, that will make the main the main site centered.

Zebra
19-07-08, 09:44
if she was publicizing the web site she would have probably posted it on Gen chat. she posted it for the web design, and of course on the art forums

Well...I posted a thread here because of my forums because I wanted feedback for the design. But it was deleted...But that was months ago.

kryptonite23
19-07-08, 11:03
Nice work Mel :tmb:
I liked it ;)

stereopathic
19-07-08, 15:11
oh, Mel, it's going to break my heart to say this but i really don't like it. please understand i'm just trying to be a good friend and be honest with you, okay?

i find it flat and uninteresting. kind of generic-looking. it's very regimented--what i mean is that everything's kinda being cordoned off from everything else. like one of those food trays? with a compartment for main dish, beans, veggie, and dessert? so that nothing can touch anything else? man, i hope that metaphor makes some kind of sense.

and there seems to be some shadows below the "fancy feathers aviary and supplies" that don't correspond to anything so it muddies up the top.

i really like the flower in the upper right the best. it's the only thing on there that's violating the boundaries in any way, and it's looks wonderful doing it! that's the kind of thinking you should apply to the whole site.

but this is only my opinion and i'm only one person. please don't hate me or anything.

as for the more technical aspects of the site, you are a-ok with the PNG format. it's 144K with another 35K for the bg. there's nothing wrong with that. it's extremely managable for any type of connection.

jamie is right about the text. it makes a lot of sense for content to not be part of the image. it makes the site much easier for the client to update themselves. then there's stuff like a location which a visitor may want to copy-paste so they can bring it over to google maps or something. similar thing goes for the email...unless you just wanna make it a mailto link.

and while i have enormous respect for jamie and his abilities, i will have to disagree with him on several things here. he's thinking like a programmer and not like a designer. :D always always always start with the design and code it later.

and also on a site like this, don't muck it up with alt-tags. you don't want a little box popping up everytime the user pauses the mouse. it's extremely distracting. seriously, don't worry about people who browse with images turned off. they are an extreme minority and are fully aware that sites exist which use images almost exclusively.

anyway, a majority of the people on the interweb have broadband connections, for which you needn't worry about the amount of images you're using. so let your mind run wild.

i hope i was somewhat helpful here.

Angelx14
19-07-08, 15:19
I think it looks perfect. Such a cute website! I love it very much. :tmb: Good job on it Mel.

Melonie Tomb Raider
19-07-08, 15:50
stereopathic ain't my friend no more! :(

LOL! jk. :p No seriously, I see exactly what you're saying, and you're definitely right, I agree. I'm going to take a lot of time to revamp it, because I know I can make it better, and it's exactly what I'm going to do. :D

Thanks for the input, I'm serious, you were very detailed and helpful. I'm very appreciative of the fact that you've helped me out here instead of saying you liked it if you really didn't. Kudos, it shows you're my real friend! :jmp: Thanks. :hug:

stereopathic
19-07-08, 16:02
*sigh of relief* oh good, i'm glad you understand. i've seen your stuff and you're a fantastic artist. i know you'll do something really incredible. :hug:

jamieoliver22
19-07-08, 16:57
and while i have enormous respect for jamie and his abilities, i will have to disagree with him on several things here. he's thinking like a programmer and not like a designer. :D always always always start with the design and code it later.

Its alright having a site looking good, but you still have to make sure that it works efficiently, meets web standards and is easily manageable :p I do both web design and web programming, and I have had to deal with websites that have been made completely in Photoshop and it is a right ***** to make it functional.

I personally create the tables and div's ready to hold the content and create the shape of the site. Then I begin to add the basic CSS elements (for fonts, background colours and other such things), and then after that I create the images in Photoshop and include them throughtout. I don't always stick to this either, I just do things as and when I like.

And I personally use PHP and external CSS douments to use just one template page on all of my pages, to make it easier to manage and update.

But yeah, everyone does things differently - I aren't saying that my way is best, it is just best for me and I find it efficient. Just do it the way you feel comfortable. Whichever way you decided to do it, just please take some of my advice onboard. :wve:

Ilie_Fusarau
19-07-08, 17:00
Nice website! :tmb:

rowanlim
20-07-08, 08:18
Wow, Melonie, it's a great site! Interesting, colorful & simple to use! :tmb: ;)