PDA

View Full Version : Lost savegame file

exrae
18-07-08, 17:26
I'm playing on Windows XP and have unsuccessfully tried to download and install the savegame files (I have missed the laser sight and want to go back and get it). During my many attempts I think I have deleted the original TR4 savegame file to which I have to download the savegame files from the web. When I open the Core Design The Last Revelation files, there is no savegame file there.
Can anyone help, please?

Crimson Tears
18-07-08, 17:43
Did you try going into "my computer" icon and then click on the "Local Disc (C:) Icon" and go to all programs and find you'r game folder?

If not, follow these instructions to find your savegames:
These are steps on going into your game folder-
First go to: My Computer--->Local Disc (C:)--->All Programs--->Core Design--->Tomb Raider-The Last revelation.

Just follow these steps, you're savegames SHOULD be there.

The Great Chi
18-07-08, 18:20
Here are a lot of TR4 savefiles suitable for win XP onwards.

Just unzip and put the relevent level (which has lazer sight) into your TR4 game folder.

http://www.tombraiders.net/stella/savegame/TR4saves.html

Crimson Tears
18-07-08, 18:56
Here are a lot of TR4 savefiles suitable for win XP onwards.

Just unzip and put the relevent level (which has lazer sight) into your TR4 game folder.

http://www.tombraiders.net/stella/savegame/TR4saves.html

That's where I got my savegames from and it works great~! :D

exrae
19-07-08, 09:20
Thanks for your replies, but things have just got worse! I downloaded and extracted the savegames from Stella's site, as advised. I moved them to the Last Revelation file and sure enough they appeared on the disk when I inserted it. However, all my latest downloaded files (I had got a very[B][I] long way into the game) had disappeared and when I tried to open the Coastal Ruins Laser sight savegame first I got a cutscene which kept repeating itself and I couldn't move Lara and next time I tried to open the Coastal Ruins beginning I got a Microsoft error message (tomb4.exe has encountered a problem, etc) and the game wouldn't play at all. Help!!

Explorer
19-07-08, 13:24
hmmm, this may not have anything to do with your problem, but have you installed a patched TR4.exe ? Which operating system you got?

exrae
19-07-08, 14:58
When I first started the game I did download a patch, but I read yesterday that the savegames don't always work with the patched version, so I deleted the patch. I am on Windows XP. Before I downloaded the new savegame files from Stella my version was working well both patched and unpatched.
I would like to get back all my original saved games, plus the new ones from Stella to get the laser sight, which I am missing. Now I can't play the game at all!
Hope this makes sense, I am not very technical.

Explorer
19-07-08, 15:41
Hi, not sure about how to get savegames back or what's happened to them, but have you tried to reinstall the game? So uninstall the game, then delete the folders for TR Last Revelation (or move them somewhere else) that may be left over. Reinstall and see what happens...

exrae
19-07-08, 22:35
Thanks for all your help, but no success. I have uninstalled TR4, downloaded the savegames from Stella, and moved these, plus some saved games I had already put in another folder, to the Last Revelation folder, but when I reinstalled and started to play the game, there were no saved games at all. Will I have to start from the beginning?

exrae
19-07-08, 23:30
Just to make things worse, having uninstalled and reinstalled the game,I now get a message telling me that I can't play it because tomb4.exe is missing. What on earth have I done?
Core Design is not showing up on All Programs, either.

rr_carroll
20-07-08, 01:54
First, there is no All Programs folder. A normal install puts the Core Design folder in the Program Files folder.

It sounds like either you didn't complete the install, or you installed to an unusual folder.

How do you run the game? I click on My Computer and then double-click on the drive with the game disk.

I'm not sure what an uninstall does. If it removes the entire Tomb Raider - The Last Revelation (the spaces around the dash are part of the name) folder, you also removed any savegames that were in the folder. After a new install, there are no savegames. At that point, you must copy any savegames into the Tomb Raider - The Last Revelation folder.

Crimson Tears, in order to display Local Disk (C:) properly, edit your post and under Additional Options, check "Disable smilies in text".

Did you look at Stella's instructions for downloading & installing savegame files?
http://tombraiders.net/stella/savegame/ziphelp.html

Explorer
20-07-08, 08:45
I'm not sure what an uninstall does. If it removes the entire Tomb Raider - The Last Revelation (the spaces around the dash are part of the name) folder, you also removed any savegames that were in the folder. After a new install, there are no savegames. At that point, you must copy any savegames into the Tomb Raider - The Last Revelation folder.

An uninstall seems to leave remnants of the game - i.e the game folders, that is what I've had anyway. I suggested that because I sometimes do this if somethng weird happens such as not being able to play the game at all, as seems to have been exrae experience. A clean install seems to remedy this problem.
Anyway tell us what you've understood exrae :)

exrae
20-07-08, 12:25
Thanks everyone for all your help. FIY, and I'm sure you know this, All Programs is in the Start menu and before everything went wrong, Core Design was shown amongst all the items in this menu. This is what I have done. I have the Sold Out version.

As everything was in such a mess I uninstalled the game, first saving the games I had played, plus some from Stella's site as well into a separate folder. I then installed the XP/Vista Multipatch, reinstalled the game, and moved the saved games into the Last Revelation folder which is in C: Program Files/Core Design. They appear there as well as the TR4 update and something called binkw32.dll. Sold Out advised starting the game in Windows 98/ME compatibility, which I have done. When I open the game I get the MS error message "Windows is searching for tomb4.exe" and nothing happens. No tomb4.exe file appears in my Last Revelation folder. More advice, please.

rr_carroll
20-07-08, 14:36
It seems like this thread should be in the Technical Support Forum. I suspect some moderator will move it there by Monday.

When you download the multipatch from tombraiderchronicles.com, you should get an .rtf file also that explains that the multipatch, when you run it, looks at your installed Tomb Raider games to decide which ones to patch. So if you ran the patch, then installed TR:LR, it was not modified by the patch. If you have applied the patch, there should be a "backup" folder inside the "Tomb Raider - The Last Revelation" folder. This "backup" folder should contain the original version of tomb4.exe.

I'm not sure about this, but several people have said that if the patch is applied, you should NOT also use the Program Compatibility Wizard to modify the execution of tomb4.exe to Windows 98.

Mytly
20-07-08, 15:09
As rr_carroll, said: Install the game before applying the patch, and if you apply the patch, do not play in Windows 98/ME compatibility mode.

I suspect that this is not a technical issue at all, just mostly confusion. But I will move this to tech support anyway - they can probably give clearer instructions in any case. (rr_carroll, I moved it before Monday - does this mean I am very efficient, or that I have no life? :p)

exrae
21-07-08, 17:46
Thanks again, especially RR Carroll and Mytly. The game now runs, but there are no saved games in the 'load game' section. I did as you suggested: installed the game first, then the patch which I unzipped, didn't change compatibility, downloaded and unzipped the patched savegames from Stella's site and then ran the game. There is no .rtf file that I can see in my C: Program Files/Last Revelation file and again the text came up when I started the game 'searching for tomb4.exe.' I can't see this anywhere in my files. Sorry to be so hopeless.