PDA

View Full Version : The nanny state nazi's are at it again!

Scottlee
29-03-04, 11:39
From today onwards, it is now against the law to smoke in in the bars, pubs, and clubs of the Replublic of Ireland. Apparantly, this legislation is now inevitably going to reach England and the rest of the UK within 2 to 5 years. I find this news absolutely disgusting.

Ok, I'm a smoker. I'm biased. However, how the hell is a complete ban fair on everybody? We've got a pub near our house which has a smoking area and a non-smoking area contained within its walls. Why can't the the government just insist that all proprietors do something like that? Alternatively, why not give licences for some premises to remain as they are and others to fall foul of the new law? That way, EVERYBODY is happy. The smokers can die a slow death and the non smokers can avoid death by passive smoking.

Assuming we do get this ridiculous law, it will pretty much signal the end of my club-going life. I'm not spending 40-50 odd quid over the course of a night if I'm going to be trapped inside a nightclub for 3-4 hours with no chance of a cigarette. Pubs aren't so bad because you can nip outside once in a while, but don't take that as "well at least Scott might be coming around to the idea". I'm absolutely peeved off big time at this news. It's completely barbaric. Like the UK isn't medieval enough when it comes to pub licensing laws. Do any of our European forum members want to just snigger very loudly at us and our pathetic 11pm last order times? If you do then go ahead. I'll snigger along with you. New Labour is a joke.

--------------------------------

(This idea is taken from a newspaper. I think the concept is quite funny)

so, what else will our country ban before long?

Driving
There's too many car crashes in the world. Ban driving and the problem will be solved.

Walking
Walking has been known to lead to death-by-car, death-by-plunging-down-manhole, and a whole host of other nasty fatalities. We're better off banning it. People are much safer stood still on the spot.

Breathing in and out
Petrol fumes, passive smoke, and people farting. These are just some examples of what can hit you when you breathe in. Employ a government scientist to work out some other way we can function, then ban it.

People playing sport
It puts people off their school work, and can lead to nasty injuries. Forget all that **** about it keeping you fit. You can just as easily keep in shape by walking to places and stuff, like when you go shopping. Ban sport now.

Talking
Leads to rows. Besides, we've got text messags now. Ban it.

People raising money for charity
Diverts people from working and thus contributing to the economy. Ban it.

reading books
Causes too much damage to the rainforest. Ban it.

having sex
Sex is fun, and we as a nation don't like people doing things which are fun. Thus, sex should be banned.

claiming benefits
Ban it. Costs the country too much money. In biblical times you would have had to have fend for yourself if you had no job (going out hunting rabbits and what not).

eating
Food poisoning, fatty foods, excessive amounts of sugar. Ban eating and give us all pills to keep us going.

[ 29. March 2004, 12:58: Message edited by: Scottlee ]

the croft woman!
29-03-04, 11:55
Im for that law! At least in clubs anyway! Some of the clubs i go to your allowed to smoke, and the smoke makes me choke! It ruins the night!
I think they shouldnt ban it in pubs though, dunno why. But at least pubs aint as packed out as clubs are, im sick of choking on other peoples smoke in clubs! I go to a club to have a good time with mates and to get drunk until closing or at least until we get kicked out, not to choke on other people smoke.

Scottlee
29-03-04, 11:59
So you'd be in favour of my desire for smoking and non-smoking sections within the same club then?

Joseph
29-03-04, 12:00
Scottlee.
It is barbaric what smoking does to the body. Its a very bad habit. Should be banned in all public places. In my country it is since january forbidden to smoke in trains, and in the station its only allowed at few special points where the smoke is sucked away immediately.
I'm smoking one of my last cigarettes at this very moment... it is weeks now that i am trying to quit but is hard to stop a habit one had for 32 years.
You understand that when i actually will have succeeded in quitting, i don't like to be obliged to inhale the smoke of others...

Scottlee
29-03-04, 12:04
You wouldn't have to suffer in a non-smoking side of a club.

the croft woman!
29-03-04, 12:11
I'd be for that idea, IF the club was big. I go to this one club which is small and has the smoking and none smoking area, and the smoke sometimes drifts into the none smoking area and its nasty.
Your right that the government are going to far though! I've heard that they're thinking about raising the age to 21 for the legal age of drinking! Im only a few months away from being 18, I'll die if they do this!!! I dont like always having to go to others to get my alcy! Everywhere asks for ID now!! I can only get served in about 3 shops!!

Scottlee
29-03-04, 12:23
They've already raised the age limit to 21 in Wiltshire. I've heard they're also wanting to raise the price of beer to a compulsory minimum of 3 a pint to ward off binge drinking. It's outrageous. Why should everybody suffer because a smalll minority choose to go out throwing bricks through bus shelters post pub-time? If it wasn't for the early closing times those people wouldn't do that anyway

Regarding the 'smoke drifting over' thing. I'm sure most landlords wouldn't mind putting up thin plastic walls to overstep this small problem. It would cost very little and would also continue to bring their smoking regulars back to fuel their profits.

[ 29. March 2004, 13:26: Message edited by: Scottlee ]

the croft woman!
29-03-04, 12:27
Already?! And 3!!!! Like it aint enough already!!!! This is ridiculous! Most clubs I can get into no problem are only open Fridays and Saturdays, and thats only from 9 or 10pm till about 3am!!! This is ridiculous! Theyre not gonna stop binge drinking, theyre trying to take over our lifes as though we cant make our own decisions!!! http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/violent.gif

Scottlee
29-03-04, 12:38
Tomb Raider games
Encourage the use of firearms, increase the potential for epilepsy, depict a main character who is completely ignorant when it comes to the British education system, promote the stealing of priceless artifects belonging to foreign states, is a bad influence on kids' attitudes towards endangered species.......Ban them!

[ 29. March 2004, 13:55: Message edited by: Scottlee ]

Cato
29-03-04, 12:41
Heehee. http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

NatEcho
29-03-04, 12:52
Good point, Scott! :rolleyes:

Regardless of my feelings towards smoking I don't think it should be banned completly. Do the section-thing! Peace! :cool:

Phi Phi
29-03-04, 15:53
As a non-smoker, I'd like to be given the choice of not breathing in smoke. Being around smokers who chose to smoke in public places doesn't give me the luxury of choice... I agree with the moves made in Ireland. Smokers should use their own homes if they want to smoke, and not force others to breathe in their smoke when they are in public places.

Draco
29-03-04, 17:01
California has no smoking in public, not sure if it makes any difference with all the pollution though...

As for drinking being 21, anyone who goes out to get intoxicated shouldn't be allowed to drink anyway, stay home and ruin your day, saves the rest of us...

Phi Phi
30-03-04, 00:07
I heard on the news this evening that Norway are the next to join Ireland in June 2004 by outlawing smoking in public places. Since New York did away with smoking, some businesses reported drops in revenue, according to this one news report. This was then countered by figures stating 12,000 new jobs had been created as a possible result of no smoking in NY in the leisure sector.

gonga
30-03-04, 01:24
Look at it this way, Scottlee. Say there was a common affliction that 5% of the population had, whereby every 30 minutes or so they had to pass gas for 7 minutes. Continuously for seven minutes. You're eating in a restaurant, or sitting at a bar stool. Would the gas be OK with you? http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/whistle.gif

gonga
30-03-04, 01:26
Originally posted by Draco:
California has no smoking in public, not sure if it makes any difference with all the pollution though...

As for drinking being 21, anyone who goes out to get intoxicated shouldn't be allowed to drink anyway, stay home and ruin your day, saves the rest of us...I'll drink ta that! http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif

the croft woman!
30-03-04, 07:38
Originally posted by Draco:

As for drinking being 21, anyone who goes out to get intoxicated shouldn't be allowed to drink anyway, stay home and ruin your day, saves the rest of us...You wont find many people who go to clubs who dont drink to not get drunk ;)

Other times when it aint a party or a club I only have a couple and wont get drunk ... it's just a abit of fun, and its fine so long you dont go OTT and know when to stop, and dont make it a regular habbit.

As for smoking... I think everyone should have the right to smoke where and when they want to... This is NOT the governments planet, everyone lives on it not just them, they really do my head in with all these dumb rules! So long the smokers respect other members of the public smoking should be fine.

Scottlee
30-03-04, 08:34
For some reason 1 or 2 people (but not all) are choosing to ignore this part of my starter post......

We've got a pub near our house which has a smoking area and a non-smoking area contained within its walls. Why can't the the government just insist that all proprietors do something like that? Alternatively, why not give licences for some premises to remain as they are and others to fall foul of the new law?

[ 30. March 2004, 09:36: Message edited by: Scottlee ]

NatEcho
30-03-04, 13:50
Originally posted by the croft woman!:
As for smoking... I think everyone should have the right to smoke where and when they want to... This is NOT the governments planet, everyone lives on it not just them, they really do my head in with all these dumb rules! So long the smokers respect other members of the public smoking should be fine.There are some of us that are allergic to the smoke and don't want to pop pills every three steps just because a smoker needs his/hers fix.

I stand by my above post.

the croft woman!
30-03-04, 13:56
good point, never thought of that...

Draco
30-03-04, 18:14
Originally posted by the croft woman!:
You wont find many people who go to clubs who dont drink to not get drunk ;)

Other times when it aint a party or a club I only have a couple and wont get drunk ... it's just a abit of fun, and its fine so long you dont go OTT and know when to stop, and dont make it a regular habbit.Well in my opinion, if you drink enough to have a hangover, you shouldn't be in public doing it...

the croft woman!
30-03-04, 19:13
Im happy to say i've only ever had a hangover twice http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/wave.gif I stop drinking when I think I might throw up! A lot of my mates continue drinking even after throwing up! Which aint good http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/yuck.gif

gonga
30-03-04, 22:20
I agree with Draco.

Scottlee, since you're in the mood to whine, I'm gonna throw it back atcha!
http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/smilies/tongue.gif
I think it would be too expensive to segregate like that. Then what if there were'nt enough patrons (a year later) to fill your newly-segregated smoking room? Your idea to give the option of a smoking section was tried here in New York for a while, but the studies that were done determined that too many non-smokers were breathing second-hand smoke, even under segregated conditions. The most at risk were employees, children, people with health problems and the elderly. A lot of people were forced to work in the smoking section for fear of losing their jobs.

In your country and mine, most of these laws are passed when the rights of one group are being infringed by the actions of another. It's fair. Furthermore, I pay through the nose through taxes and insurance rates to take care of the millions of deadly sick smokers, and their asthmatic children. The indirect costs due to loss of productivity and downtime are incalculable. Of course the same is true for alcohol consumption, but that doesn't lessen the truth or force of the argument.

Every day when I walk to the mailbox, I find new butts on my driveway. I pick them up. Delightful! ;)

Scottlee
31-03-04, 11:35
GONGA
I think it would be too expensive to segregate like that
Wouldn't cost that much to put up thin plastic walls.

Then what if there were'nt enough patrons (a year later) to fill your newly-segregated smoking room?
Like I said in my starter post, there is one pub local to me which has a smoking and non-smoking area inside it. Whenever I go in there on a busy night, there are never any seats left in the smoking section. The non-smoking seats meanwhile are the last ones to go. I think it would be the non-smoking bars who would have to worry about business the most. Remember, there may be more non-smokers than smokers, but there are a great percentage of non-smokers out there who don't care about passive smoking

but the studies that were done determined that too many non-smokers were breathing second-hand smoke, even under segregated conditions
Studies carried out by whom, and with what agendas?

Furthermore, I pay through the nose through taxes and insurance rates to take care of the millions of deadly sick smokers, and their asthmatic children
No you don't. Smokers cover their own hospital bills about ten times over. Do you realise just how much tax is on every pack of cigarettes bought?

[ 31. March 2004, 12:38: Message edited by: Scottlee ]

Draco
31-03-04, 18:37
Not enough tax for me to breath it...

gonga
01-04-04, 02:16
Well, Scottlee, I have to hand it to you for keeping your posts to the topic and being cool...in spite of being harrassed by all us rabid, squeaky-clean non-smokers.

I hope you can at least enjoy some peace the next time you have to step outside for a smoke ;)

[ 01. April 2004, 03:18: Message edited by: gonga ]