PDA

View Full Version : pc advice..?

Lara_Zoz2006
21-07-08, 14:11
Hi guys just need a bit of advice, got my xps730 h2c and its staring to get really dusty around the fan, u know the one u can see through the little grating on the front panel, How can i possibly clean that i cant get to it at at all, its driving me nuts just staaring at the fan gatherung dust and fluff.

someone told me compressed air, is that safe to do and if so any kind of brand or one special type?

thanks in advance :jmp:

Eddie Haskell
21-07-08, 14:41
Hi guys just need a bit of advice, got my xps730 h2c and its staring to get really dusty around the fan, u know the one u can see through the little grating on the front panel, How can i possibly clean that i cant get to it at at all, its driving me nuts just staaring at the fan gatherung dust and fluff.

someone told me compressed air, is that safe to do and if so any kind of brand or one special type?

thanks in advance :jmp:

If you spray the dust into the pc using the compressed air that would be bad. I suggest that if you can see the dust in the front, use your vacuum cleaner with the brush attachment and pull the dust out.

Drone
21-07-08, 14:50
yup good ol' Dyson always helps

Lara_Zoz2006
21-07-08, 14:51
Its kinda hard to explain i just cant physiacally get to the fan, ioll try and find a picture of it online(my cams broken)

Drone
21-07-08, 15:04
you can open it and clean

Eddie Haskell
21-07-08, 15:09
Its kinda hard to explain i just cant physiacally get to the fan, ioll try and find a picture of it online(my cams broken)

If you do open the case then you can use compressed air. Blow all the dust out of the case and off of any surface that you see it. If you open the case it can be dangerous to use the vacuum on circuit boards if a static charge builds. You could ruin your motherboard or video card.

EscondeR
21-07-08, 17:07
The best way will be:

1. Power the whole thing off.
2. Open the case.
3. Use compressed air only inside the case to blow all dust out (from every tiny gap).
4. Detach the case fan.
5. Use compressed air to blow the dust from the fan grill from inside or the vacuum cleaner to suck it from outside.
6. Clean the fan itself, possibly grease the fan bearing.
7. Attach the fan back and close the case.

Eddie Haskell
21-07-08, 17:47
The best way will be:

1. Power the whole thing off.
2. Open the case.
3. Use compressed air only inside the case to blow all dust out (from every tiny gap).
4. Detach the case fan.
5. Use compressed air to blow the dust from the fan grill from inside or the vacuum cleaner to suck it from outside.
6. Clean the fan itself, possibly grease the fan bearing.
7. Attach the fan back and close the case.

Absolutely, and I would add do it outside if there is a lot of dust.

I have built hundreds of systems for myself and others over the past 20 years. When I first started building them, the cpu had only a heatsink, and now we have mega-cooling all over the pc. All of this air flow sucks in everything, and normally I only buy cases with an air filtration system. This way I only have to clean the filters once a week.

spikejones
21-07-08, 18:41
eskie has the right of it here. compressed air in a can is good to use for a few cleanings. Just pick up a can at wall mart - they are sometimes labeled as keyboard dusters.

^ im not sure if using an air filter is a wise idea though, it seems as though it would restrict the air flow and not be as effective at cooling the system.

Eddie Haskell
21-07-08, 19:04
eskie has the right of it here. compressed air in a can is good to use for a few cleanings. Just pick up a can at wall mart - they are sometimes labeled as keyboard dusters.

^ im not sure if using an air filter is a wise idea though, it seems as though it would restrict the air flow and not be as effective at cooling the system.

It would if you didn't keep it clean regularly. As I said, once a week. These filters are usually fine mesh steel screens (like a dryer screen).

I don't buy cheap cases, most of the well made and therefore expensive ones have some kind of filters. In the early days of case design (and after the advent of processors that required fan cooling) they sometimes used foam or fiberglass as filters but these proved to be a maintenance nightmare. Now the steel screens are the best and provide one with an almost squeaky clean interior without any air flow reduction.

EscondeR
21-07-08, 19:05
Yup. Filters are not as good as it seems... You can put fans blowing air out of the case rather than sucking it in, to reduce the dust intake, but better keep of those:

1. Keep your PC case as high from the floor as practically possible.
2. Keep the surface around the case clean.
3. Ensure the grounding is properly set to avoid extra static that collects dust.
4. Use the vacuum cleaner to clean the ventilation grills of the case (from outside) often, the less dust you have there, the less it'll appear inside.

Eddie Haskell
21-07-08, 19:11
Yup. Filters are not as good as it seems... You can put fans blowing air out of the case rather than sucking it in, to reduce the dust intake, but better keep of those:

1. Keep your PC case as high from the floor as practically possible.
2. Keep the surface around the case clean.
3. Ensure the grounding is properly set to avoid extra static that collects dust.
4. Use the vacuum cleaner to clean the ventilation grills of the case (from outside) often, the less dust you have there, the less it'll appear inside.

Certainly I respect your opinion. But there is more than one way to skin a cat. :)

I am running 5 total PC's at the moment. All have 3 case fans installed inside of them. All but 1 has screen filters. The one that does not allows dust to enter and every month I take out on my patio and spray it out. The others never have dust inside of them because the screens keep it out. Once a week I remove the screens (it takes 2 seconds to remove them) and clean them. It's far easier to clean a screen than blow out an entire pc.

Lara_Zoz2006
21-07-08, 21:16
I cant get the fan out coz its got like this h2c cooling unti in front of it which is all screwed on ill try and take some pics with my mobile.

The fan and grill
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb57/littlesusie_01/080721_221652.jpg

The h2c unit in the way
http://i209.photobucket.com/albums/bb57/littlesusie_01/080721_221739-1.jpg

I have the pc on my desk, i always polish the casing and the grill.
I cant physically get to the fan lol without pulling the whole h2c unit out i wouldnt know where to start lol

I opened it up no way i could fit my hand between the cooler and the fan

spikejones
21-07-08, 21:40
just unscrew the thing - its not that hard
whatever connectors are attached to it might need to be disconnected - again, not that hard. just follow the lines to where they connect and disconnect them.

If you have enough play room with the connections though, you should be able to just unscrew it and move it out of the way with out disconnecting it.

Lara_Zoz2006
21-07-08, 21:41
just unscrew the thing - its not that hard
whatever connectors are attached to it might need to be disconnected - again, not that hard. just follow the lines to where they connect and disconnect them.

If you have enough play room with the connections though, you should be able to just unscrew it and move it out of the way with out disconnecting it.

I will try sorry i just a bit scared coz i dont have much luck with computers especially one thats this expensive and for uni animations i dont wanna mess it up

spikejones
21-07-08, 21:47
if you have to touch the circuit boards to do it, just make sure you are touching part of the bare metal on the case first so that you are grounded and wont transmit a static shock to the board.

from the looks of the image, you should be able to take that cooling unit out no problem.

Lara_Zoz2006
21-07-08, 21:52
if you have to touch the circuit boards to do it, just make sure you are touching part of the bare metal on the case first so that you are grounded and wont transmit a static shock to the board.

from the looks of the image, you should be able to take that cooling unit out no problem.

Thank you :hug: Ill give that a try tommrow heheh, just got back from work to shattered to do it now lol