PDA

View Full Version : Official Fan Art Competition (OFAC) Idea

NightWish
22-07-08, 17:57
So I was thinking that since we regularly have OSC that we should also regularly have a an OFFICIAL FAN ART COMPETITION (OFAC)!

Each round the winner from the previous comp. to choose a theme. The 2nd option suggests more freedom.

Entries for this competition should be made particularly for the competition. Drawn either manually or digitally. NO MANIPULATIONS.Deadline shouldn't be more then 2 weeks.

EDIT: Now we need to decide which theme we want for the 1st round of teh competition. Please tell me what you want :)

Suggestions so far:
-Redraw a particular render
-Draw a level concept design
-Design a trap
-Draw a scene from Lara's childhood
-Draw how Lara dies
-Design a new outfit
-Design a new enemy
-Draw a new character
-Draw Lara and the Underpus!
-Draw Lara in a strange/funny situation.
-Draw a background (icy, jungle, desert, castle, underwater, etc)
-Draw a boss for a level could be an angry god, shapeshifting entity, etc.
-Draw your favourite TR character (excluding Lara)
-Draw angelina Jolie
-Create a storyboard
-Create a TR comic
....etc...

Zebra
22-07-08, 18:07
Nice idea. But I think simply redrawing is a bit...boring. And it would probably also limit the number of entries as not everybody can draw well enough. I think we could just use the render as a base. And than you can redraw it, manipulate it, etc., etc...

NightWish
22-07-08, 18:16
And what do you think about the idea: let the winner decide what needs to be done in teh competition? :) Could be anything

Zebra
22-07-08, 19:01
I like that idea.

Quasimodo
22-07-08, 19:17
I like this idea :tmb:

Would the OFAC always be Tomb Raider-related, though? Even if it were always TR-related, there's plenty of challenge ideas to keep OFAC interesting:
-Draw a level concept design (this cold be used more than once - city, tomb, home, other...)
-Design a trap
-Draw how Lara dies
-Design a new outfit
-Design a new enemy
-Design a sinister trap....

just croft
22-07-08, 19:35
I like the Idea, but I have to agree with Zebra that re drawing renders can become quite boring.

Quasimodo's post gave me and idea, based on his post and the osc, oh and not forgetting the renders, nightwish.
The competition could run arround drawing anything...
-Draw a render
-Draw a level concept design (this cold be used more than once - city, tomb, home, other...)
-Design a trap
-Draw how Lara dies
-Design a new outfit
-Design a new enemy
-Design a sinister trap....
... having to do with a especific Tomb Raider level. (Ğlike the osc) then the winner would choose another level.

What do you think?

NightWish
22-07-08, 20:12
YES! this is what I mean - the winner says what needs to be done. It could be absolutely anything TR related :)

So what do you suggest for the 1st edition? ;)

Quasimodo
22-07-08, 20:20
YES! this is what I mean - the winner says what needs to be done. It could be absolutely anything TR related :)

So what do you suggest for the 1st edition? ;)

Level/trap design would be challenging and interesting, but I'm afraid a lot of people would think it'd be an intimidating thing to draw. Unless the criteria for winning were based on creativity as much as aesthetics.

NightWish
22-07-08, 20:23
Level/trap design would be challenging and interesting, but I'm afraid a lot of people would think it'd be an intimidating thing to draw. Unless the criteria for winning were based on creativity as much as aesthetics.

hmmm I say this is a bit too challenging for the 1st edition. Therefore I don't think that many people will enter. It should be something easier and at the same time fun! For example draw Lara and the Underpus! :vlol: hahahah

i suggest we leve more challenging stuff when the competition has gotten a bit more popular :)

As for teh criteria - we cant really pick one since the voting should be like the OSC. People vote on their different criteria...

EDIT: draw Lara in a strange/funny situation can also do!:)

Apofiss
22-07-08, 20:28
Level/trap design...

Sounds good to me :D

Quasimodo
22-07-08, 20:35
Sounds good to me :D

Ancient Egyptian Man-Grinder 3000! :cln:

Apofiss
22-07-08, 20:39
Ancient Egyptian Man-Grinder 3000! :cln:

Too sweet of you, actually I was thinking of an agonizing acid bath with an extra burn :-D

GlAssBOx
22-07-08, 20:48
I stink at drawing, but this could be fun.

Blue_light
22-07-08, 21:14
I love the idea :tmb:

NightWish
22-07-08, 21:31
ok. So do you guys agree the main rule to be - The winner determines what the following competition will be? :)

And if a couple of more poeple want the very 1st comp to be 'make a trap/level' I say we do it then! more ideas are welcome of course.

And what about a deadline? 2 weeks?

Quasimodo
22-07-08, 21:35
ok. So do you guys agree the main rule to be - The winner determines what the following competition will be? :)

And if a couple of more poeple want the very 1st comp to be 'make a trap/level' I say we do it then! more ideas are welcome of course.

And what about a deadline? 2 weeks?

I think the competition theme should be discussed each time - what if the winner chooses something unpopular and people lose interest in OFAC? Instead of having the winner choose the next theme, maybe there could be a stickied thread which has a gallery showcasing the winners from all the OFACs.

xxitsxnadyaxx
22-07-08, 21:36
ooo this sounds excellent :]

2 weeks for a deadline... i guess it's alright
considering that it's summer and everyone's bored :D

Apofiss
22-07-08, 21:38
I'd give one week and one day or 2 weeks as max. The more time you give the more lazyness grows on ya :-p

GlAssBOx
22-07-08, 21:39
If the subject is traps, I think someone's going to steal mine.

NightWish
22-07-08, 21:47
ooo this sounds excellent :]

2 weeks for a deadline... i guess it's alright
considering that it's summer and everyone's bored :D

then it should be less then 2 weeks! :p
I'd give one week and one day or 2 weeks as max. The more time you give the more lazyness grows on ya :-p

you are right! :vlol: ok lets say 10 days and will be extended if there aren't that many entries ;)
I think the competition theme should be discussed each time - what if the winner chooses something unpopular and people lose interest in OFAC? Well discussing it every time would be too much trouble :(

I doubt it will be that big of a problem anyway because sometimes teh OSC has had like 5 entries and its still going as strong as ever ;)

Instead of having the winner choose the next theme, maybe there could be a stickied thread which has a gallery showcasing the winners from all the OFACs.
Yes it would be nice to have a gallery like that- 'hall of fame' buts till what would the winner get from winning? I think its the best to let the winner shoose and hope for the best :p

GlAssBOx
22-07-08, 21:50
The winner gets a prize of a drawing you made, of lara's ass.

NightWish
22-07-08, 21:54
The winner gets a prize of a drawing you made, of lara's ass.

wont that tend to get a bit old? :p

GlAssBOx
22-07-08, 21:56
It would be fun if you drew her dead, then her arse would jiggle :mis:

So have you decided on a topic, cause I want to draw :jmp:

Even though I stink at it

NightWish
22-07-08, 21:59
It would be fun if you drew her dead, then her arse would jiggle :mis:

So have you decided on a topic, cause I want to draw :jmp:

Even though I stink at it

draw a bum, yous eem to be fond of them aswell :p

haha! here is a new idea! draw a TR-related ass! :vlol:

GlAssBOx
22-07-08, 22:02
Can I really?

Can I post it here!?

NightWish
22-07-08, 22:05
Can I really?

Can I post it here!?

*looks at mods* :pi: I dont know..*slowly backs away in a corner*

GlAssBOx
22-07-08, 22:08
nahhh, I won't, I'm juts a year younger than you though.

Quasimodo
22-07-08, 23:44
then it should be less then 2 weeks! :p

you are right! :vlol: ok lets say 10 days and will be extended if there aren't that many entries ;)
Well discussing it every time would be too much trouble :(

I doubt it will be that big of a problem anyway because sometimes teh OSC has had like 5 entries and its still going as strong as ever ;)

Yes it would be nice to have a gallery like that- 'hall of fame' buts till what would the winner get from winning? I think its the best to let the winner shoose and hope for the best :p

You're right, and if each round only lasts a week or two, it shouldn't matter much if only a few people enter one or two unpopular rounds. OSC has managed, maybe and official fan art competition can survive as well.

young Lara Croft
23-07-08, 08:13
I'm in ! I like the idea of an extended far thinking ! everytime a competition started on the forums , it was like : draw Lara this draw Lara that! excuse me but some people draw Lara for fun , and the repetitive idea of standard drawing Lara in her position with her pistols in her hands , it's kinda common.
Nightwish I think your start was a great spark , and I agree to have a longlasting competition loke the OSC. :tmb:
I also apreciate Quasi's extended thinking with the many options! :tmb:
could I sugest you to add this to your list:
- draw a background (icy, jungle, desert, castle, underwater, etc)
- draw a boss for a level could be an angry god, shapeshifting entity, etc.
in other words I'm in!

NightWish
23-07-08, 08:47
OK GREAT! :) So I think the only thing left is to pick with which theme we will start! :)

GlAssBOx
23-07-08, 08:50
i'm for background :)

NightWish
23-07-08, 09:10
EDITED my 1st post! now I need you to tell me which theme you want for the1 st competition :)Lets make a small voting on this. Whichever gets teh most votes will be teh 1st competition's theme ;)

Blue_light
23-07-08, 10:28
My vote for: Draw your favourite TR character :D

Quasimodo
23-07-08, 10:38
I vote for "Draw your favorite character, excluding Lara". It'd be cool to see how everyone draws their fave characters as they see them :)

McGloomy
23-07-08, 11:07
I'm also for "Draw you favourite character". :)

young Lara Croft
23-07-08, 11:19
I vote for "Draw your favorite character, excluding Lara". It'd be cool to see how everyone draws their fave characters as they see them :)

ok I AGREE! > Draw your fave character! no Lara ! good choice!

NightWish
23-07-08, 12:05

janice! :cln:

WOW I put that idea to draw your fav TR character just so that it looks there are more options to pic from! :vlol:

Ok a couple of more votes and the thread will be ready to go ;)

Lara_Zoz2006
23-07-08, 12:10
ohhhh draw something froms laras childhood

just croft
23-07-08, 12:14
WOW alot happened whille I was gone.... anyway, my vote goes for fav char aswell, and like quasimodo said: excluding lara, that would be even better :D

NightWish
23-07-08, 13:23
WOW alot happened whille I was gone.... anyway, my vote goes for fav char aswell, and like quasimodo said: excluding lara, that would be even better :D

the title of teh competition says excluding lara but ok! :)

just croft
23-07-08, 13:34
the title of teh competition says excluding lara but ok! :)

oh... :o LOL
Ok I admit I didn't read that part of the first post just all the other posts while I wasn't here.... :p

Zebra
23-07-08, 13:48
My vote goes to "Design a new character".

young Lara Croft
23-07-08, 17:12
My vote goes to "Design a new character".

OMG! I think this sounds good too! but I'mm stick to what I choose in the first place!

Quasimodo
23-07-08, 17:14
OMG! I think this sounds good too! but I'mm stick to what I choose in the first place!

Designing a new character does sound fun, or at least 'updating' an existing one, like how we'd imagine they'd look like if they reappeared in TRU.

young Lara Croft
23-07-08, 17:39
Designing a new character does sound fun, or at least 'updating' an existing one, like how we'd imagine they'd look like if they reappeared in TRU.

can we do that?
cause if it was possible , it would be my second option!

Zebra
23-07-08, 18:11
can we do that?
cause if it was possible , it would be my second option!

The "options" in the first post are just examples. If you have an idea what could be done just say it.

NightWish
23-07-08, 18:24
ok. How about this for a inal term? Draw your favourite TR character either with referance or how you would liek him to appear in current gen :)

Quasimodo
23-07-08, 18:28
ok. How about this for a inal term? Draw your favourite TR character either with referance or how you would liek him to appear in current gen :)

Sounds good to me :tmb:

NightWish
23-07-08, 18:29
So will everyone be happy with this? A couple of more opinions and we will be ready to go! :D *aches to draw Janice*

young Lara Croft
23-07-08, 18:37
So will everyone be happy with this? A couple of more opinions and we will be ready to go! :D *aches to draw Janice*

OK! let's roll!

McGloomy
23-07-08, 21:37
Everything OK with that! :tmb:

GlAssBOx
24-07-08, 03:03

:cool:

Jedd Fletcher
24-07-08, 05:31
I remember there was one competition where we had to draw a screenshot of TR 1-4 Lara in the newer style. I'd love a costume design competition, I have several Lara costume concepts on my DevArt page that I'm quite proud of.

Quasimodo
24-07-08, 10:50
Can't wait til the first OFAC starts :jmp:

NightWish
24-07-08, 11:04
:) Just one last question: how many entries per person? 3?

GlAssBOx
24-07-08, 11:07
1, more than that's going to be had to do under a week

Quasimodo
24-07-08, 11:16
1, more than that's going to be had to do under a week

1 entry per person seems to work best for the OSC, too - it makes people try to do/select their best work.

young Lara Croft
24-07-08, 11:42
1 is enough, and besides people can get confused when voting !

just croft
24-07-08, 13:30
I'd say just one aswell, we don't want to make each ofac too long do we?

OMG! has anyone tried to read out loud ofac?

Blue_light
24-07-08, 13:33

I did the first time I saw it :D :vlol:

NightWish
24-07-08, 20:35
I'd say just one aswell, we don't want to make each ofac too long do we?

:D Actually this is wht its not just AOC because OFAC sounds better! :vlol:

:mis:

BTW I am starting making teh thread now and I already created teh banner :D

just croft
24-07-08, 21:51
Great, nightwish :tmb: so I guess this can be closed.

I think we all should be happy already shouldn't we?