PDA

View Full Version : ISP prevent wireless connection?

lararoxs
22-07-08, 21:35
I have a wireless router connected to the computer, its all set up and ready to go. All lights are green except from the internet light which is red. I contacted my uncle, who is good with computers and we ran through the set up again to make sure the router was set up correctly, it was.

I have tried everything I can think of, but could it be that the ISP is blocking the connection so it cant be accessible by wireless? I could be talking utter rubbish but any help is greatly appreciated!:) Thanks in advance!

Info: Netgear 54 Mbps Wireless ADSL2 + Modem Router DG834G v4

spikejones
22-07-08, 21:40
nah... ISP cannot possibly block wireless connection. There is an issue with the connection between the router and the modem it seems.

can you provide a diagram (drawing) of how you have things set up? What device you have connected to what.

edit... look here: ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/DG834Gv4_RMsrc_13Sep07.pdf

i am guessing now that you have an all in one device (switch + router + wifi access + modem) - dealing with the ADSL connection can be tricky and might need to be manually configured. I recommend starting at section 1.4 and read thoroughly. You may need to get the ISP on the line to get the required info to configure it manually if the auto detect does not work.

lararoxs
22-07-08, 21:50
On the back it has got 6 places to plug things in:

ADSL
LAN 1-4
POWER Cable

We have got an ADSL Filter, plugged in to the wall, the wire connected to the ADSL point on the back of the Router, is connected into the filter.

The powercable is plugged in to the router and is plugged in to the mains.

The LAN wire is plugged in to the back of the router and the other end is plugged in to the back of the hard drive.

http://www.netgear.com/upload/product/dg834g/enus_diagram_dg834g.jpg

^Might help

spikejones
22-07-08, 21:56
Okay.. that appears to be the proper setup then.

1. is that the network you are currently on as you are posting?
2. which devices do not connect? wired/wireless/all?

lararoxs
22-07-08, 21:58
Im using the modem that was sent by Tiscali(ISP) the router isnt being used as I cant get a connection at all. Tell me if Im not making any sense!:p

spikejones
22-07-08, 22:05
okay then... you should definitely run through the first chapter of the pdf i sent you. ADSL connection is not plug and play like cable is (i can swap out modems with no issue - not so with ADSL) that guide should tell you what you need to do to get the internet connection working on the new device.

like i said though, if you cant get the auto detect part to work - get your ISP on the line and say "I just got a new wifi router/modem combo device and I need the following info in order to get it to connect to the internet: (and read off the stuff that the manual configuration utility asks you for)".

ftp://downloads.netgear.com/files/DG834Gv4_RMsrc_13Sep07.pdf

lararoxs
22-07-08, 22:07
OK, thats great thanks!:hug:

You will soon hear if I have more problems!:p Thanks again!

spikejones
22-07-08, 22:12
No problem..

If no joy with that though, get one of these: http://www.linksys.com/servlet/Satellite?c=L_Product_C2&childpagename=US%2FLayout&cid=1149562300349&pagename=Linksys%2FCommon%2FVisitorWrapper&lid=0034939789B02

you can connect that wifi router/switch to your modem with an ethernet cable - and then connect you wired and wireless devices to it

lararoxs
22-07-08, 22:24
Thats great! I will keep that in mind!:D