PDA

View Full Version : Someone is using my internet connection!

TombRaiderTim
24-07-08, 15:46
As mentioned above someone is using my internet connection for their own ***ing use!

Does anyone have a solution cause this is urgant and i heard it can damage your own computer!

I have run the scan and some files were ridden of but the computer is still the same, please help guys! :(

rowanlim
24-07-08, 15:51
Is your network security-enabled?

TombRaiderTim
24-07-08, 15:52
like, firewall?

Larson_1988
24-07-08, 15:58
like, firewall?

No, password encryption. Take a look at the wireless router manual. :) And if that doesen't help you wait for spikejones or Esconder to come online. :)

stereopathic
24-07-08, 16:03
^yeah, you need to set up security on your connection. the set-up disc that comes with your wireless router can guide you through this process.

TombRaiderTim
24-07-08, 16:06
i am with Bt Broadband and they said nothing more than to use the following scans listed below in the email they sent me and i did but still, nothing.

my internet security is enabled, i looked under internet options then clicked on the tab of security and all are at default levels. as for the encription, i have WPA-PSK for my Network authentication and TKIP for my data encryption and i use a wireless network key. i do not use WEP as i heard it is easily hacked.

if i were to do the encryption would it get rid of the person using my wireless network router?

Lara_Fan
24-07-08, 16:50
I had the same problem. This happened because someone had understood our IP address. So we called our I-net host and they gave as a new IP address.

Bellacima
24-07-08, 16:52
Dont you have to put the setup disk in and when you go threw the whole setup process doesnt it give you the option where u can put a password on it????

spikejones
24-07-08, 17:40
you can enable mac address filtering
go to commandline and type the command
ipconfig /all
write down the string of characters following the heading "physical address"

enter the addresses for all the devices you allow to use the wireless network into your Routers MAC filter.

ALSO.. you can change your network name - disable the broadcast of it
change the Encryption key

following all that, you'd need to manually configure the connections with the new infos (since it wont see the network without it broadcasting)

Larapink
24-07-08, 17:42
my internet security is enabled, i looked under internet options then clicked on the tab of security and all are at default levels. as for the encription, i have WPA-PSK
I think you should change to WEP. :)

spikejones
24-07-08, 18:08
^ WEP as stated is not as secure as WPA. :rolleyes:

Change WPA key
Change local IP range - 192.168.1.0 to 192.168.254.0 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0)
Change network name - disable broadcast
enable MAC filtering for ONLY the devices you want on the network

make sure that ICS is turned OFF on all the wireless laptops/pc's

Eddie Haskell
24-07-08, 18:16
I never worry about this problem since I wired my whole house when I had it gutted (all CAT 6). No wireless for me, all in the wall wired connections in every room (even all of the bathrooms!) and being in the middle of a big city neighborhood there is a whole lot of potential for theft.

EscondeR
24-07-08, 20:44
TRT, follow spikejones' advice, but moving to wired connections is indeed a radical solution to prevent easy intrusions (as MAC filtering is hard but possible to overcome).

spikejones
24-07-08, 22:00
indeed, wired is more secure and FASTER (lan connection).

Larapink
24-07-08, 22:03
^ WEP as stated is not as secure as WPA. :rolleyes:
I didn't know I have WEP 128 on my wireless it is a long key so is that not WPA. Because now I am worried. :(

spikejones
24-07-08, 23:26
WPA in general is stronger encryption than WEP.

there are different encryption/decryption algorithms used between the two. WPA is a more complex algorithm than WEP and thus is harder to crack.

Eddie Haskell
25-07-08, 02:36
TRT, follow spikejones' advice, but moving to wired connections is indeed a radical solution to prevent easy intrusions (as MAC filtering is hard but possible to overcome).

I was not making any suggestions as to what anyone should or should not do, simply stating that a wired connection is far more secure and is something that I had done. But actually unless the person has a laptop and travels all over the house than a wired system is far superior and easy to install.