PDA

View Full Version : TRF should implemet the thanking system

Muhammad
25-07-08, 21:49
You know the one where people thank other people for their posts or threads by clicking a little thanking button at the bottom of the appreciated post, a lot of forums have it, bot vBulletin and PHPsomething. It would also weed out a lot of SPAM, especially for news threads in the TRU forum.
Who agrees?

toxicraider
25-07-08, 21:51
I do, that's a good idea.

Muhammad
25-07-08, 22:00
I do, that's a good idea.

---

See this is a useless short post, that would have been saved by the thanking system. Don't get me wrong though, I really thank you :D

GlAssBOx
25-07-08, 22:00
modthesims2 has it, and the forums are vbullitin, so why not here> :)

jackali
25-07-08, 22:05
I can see how it might be useful, but I don't think it's really a necessary or particularly good thing.

After all, pointless posts will still appear, irrespective of a thanking system. And if you can mark some as spam then won't people simply abuse the system and mark posts they disagree with as spam?

I just don't think it's a very practical system.

Muhammad
25-07-08, 22:08
I can see how it might be useful, but I don't think it's really a necessary or particularly good thing.

After all, pointless posts will still appear, irrespective of a thanking system. And if you can mark some as spam then won't people simply abuse the system and mark posts they disagree with as spam?

It would also encourage people to make good useful posts, that is if the number of thanked posts appears under their Nickname and Avatar.

jackali
25-07-08, 22:10
It would also encourage people to make good useful posts, that is if the number of thanked posts appears under their Nickname and Avatar.

However, it would have the possibility of it simply turning into a popularity contest, like any other rating system.

People will thank their friends, and so people will make more posts in order that more of their posts are thanked by their friends. In which case, the number of silly posts will increase dramatically.

I'm not saying that it's a terrible idea. I really can see how it could be good. Unfortunately it could also end up terrible.

SamReeves
25-07-08, 22:13
Oh I dunno. I think it might be interesting. It's a positive only forum stat as far as I know. Nobody would be able to subtract a thank you from you.

Quasimodo
25-07-08, 22:15
Then you'd get spam like "what is this button?" "how come I didn't get any thanks?" "why did you thank this post?" etc. etc.

patriots88888
25-07-08, 22:16
I understand what you are saying but I happen to appreciate those who reply with a well thought out answer and this would eliminate that. Part of belonging to a forum or discussion group is just that, discussing and sharing opinions and things in detail. ;) :)

Drone
25-07-08, 22:17
Then you'd get spam like "what is this button?" "how come I didn't get any thanks?" "why did you thank this post?" etc. etc.

and pms with titles "can you thank my thread'

Larapink
25-07-08, 22:17
Well I think it might be pretty pointless here, it might turn out a competitve thing. Quick thank me for my well written post, etc...

Quasimodo
25-07-08, 22:21
and pms with titles "can you thank my thread'

lol!

I've seen button responses implemented in other forums, and it just causes loads of squabbling because people don't know why someone clicked such-and-such a button on their post, or people will simply abuse the buttons, then there's threads to get rid of the buttons, and more threads telling people to suck it up...meh. Button-press responses would make the forum too impersonal - tell the poster your opinion right then and there, or PM them, or keep it to yourself if it isn't kind or if it isn't important. Nooo buttons/thanking systems please:o

Muhammad
25-07-08, 22:22
All these problems don't occur in the forums I visit, usually people don't even talk about it at all, it is there and people notice it nonetheless. It is also a good motivation in my opinion. I think people would also not feel obliged to reply to another member's post to prove to that memeber that they did notice their post, they could simply "thank" them.

I also think trying it for a few weeks wouldn't hurt, would it?

Drone
25-07-08, 22:26
lol!

I've seen button responses implemented in other forums, and it just causes loads of squabbling because people don't know why someone clicked such-and-such a button on their post, or people will simply abuse the buttons, then there's threads to get rid of the buttons, and more threads telling people to suck it up...meh. Button-press responses would make the forum too impersonal - tell the poster your opinion right then and there, or PM them, or keep it to yourself if it isn't kind or if it isn't important. Nooo buttons/thanking systems please:o

yes lol I agree more buttons more problems

Muhammad
25-07-08, 22:29
lol!

It is not an actual rating system, you can't mark a certain post as bad.

See? It is a positive thing at heart!

jackali
25-07-08, 22:31
All these problems don't occur in the forums I visit, usually people don't even talk about it at all, it is there and people notice it nonetheless. It is also a good motivation in my opinion. I think people would also not feel obliged to reply to another member's post to prove to that memeber that they did notice their post, they could simply "thank" them.

I also think trying it for a few weeks wouldn't hurt, would it?

I can see how they'd work on a forum, but the problem is that most forums probably get this feature quite early on and so it is an integral part of the forum system. This forum, on the other hand, has been running for a long time without these functions. Therefore the act of trying it out would cause a disturbance in the running of the forum. New members wouldn't have too many problems with it, but people who have been here for some time would require time to adjust.

Not only that, but I'm sure that a lot of people find it far more satisfying to have someone respond to their post agreeing with them than they do getting a digital and effortless thank you. If someone takes the time to write a response then it really is worth a lot more than a number under your avatar.

Cochrane
25-07-08, 22:35
I like text. I like to read text, I like to write text, generally longer than useful in an internet context. Replacing that with simple counters, or lists of who thanked what, is not exactly my dream feature for this forum.

I'm interested in the reasons behind an opinion, and that would completely destroy that. And a post without reason behind it why the hell would the forum need such a post in the first place, let alone made easier?

A secondary point: Why thanking? Do so many people thank each other here every day? Isn't that kind of pointless? It could be just as well marking a post as "I like it", which would make it more useful in the general case. Second secondary issue: Should thanking, if it is necessary, not be something personal instead of just a button press?

patriots88888
25-07-08, 22:39
Not only that, but I'm sure that a lot of people find it far more satisfying to have someone respond to their post agreeing with them than they do getting a digital and effortless thank you. If someone takes the time to write a response then it really is worth a lot more than a number under your avatar.

Exactly. Not only do they show their appreciation for something but they also explain why they appreciate it. And they may have something important to contribute to it as well. ;) :)

Quasimodo
25-07-08, 22:39
I like text. I like to read text, I like to write text, generally longer than useful in an internet context. Replacing that with simple counters, or lists of who thanked what, is not exactly my dream feature for this forum.

I'm interested in the reasons behind an opinion, and that would completely destroy that. And a post without reason behind it – why the hell would the forum need such a post in the first place, let alone made easier?

A secondary point: Why thanking? Do so many people thank each other here every day? Isn't that kind of pointless? It could be just as well marking a post as "I like it", which would make it more useful in the general case. Second secondary issue: Should thanking, if it is necessary, not be something personal instead of just a button press?
Exactly.

The button-loving forum I mentioned earlier has tabs under each post:
|educational||interesting||agree||disagree||love|
When people click on those tabs, it tallies up next to the button, for example:
|educational||interesting||agree||disagree (8)||love|

So 8 people disagreed with your post, you just don't know why the heck they did it, cos it's anonymous. Doesn't really contribute much to the discussion other than frustration :p

Muhammad
25-07-08, 22:42
I can see how they'd work on a forum, but the problem is that most forums probably get this feature quite early on and so it is an integral part of the forum system. This forum, on the other hand, has been running for a long time without these functions. Therefore the act of trying it out would cause a disturbance in the running of the forum. New members wouldn't have too many problems with it, but people who have been here for some time would require time to adjust.

I can't say I'm an old member or a very active poster(I am an active lurker however), but I think such feature would certainly give older members a renewed experience, who knows maybe the non-active old members might become active inspired by this rewarding feature.

I can't argue much with that second point, except that people would still be able to give a proper thank you post, also a lot of good posts are viewed but not appreciated (Perhaps for time concerns?)...
Take a look at Justin's thread that he posted today in TRU Forum, it is filled with SPAM "Thank You" posts, if the Admins believe that such posts are not considered SPAMs then the Thanking System is worthless here, and shouldn't be implemented.

jackali
25-07-08, 22:42
So 8 people disagreed with your post, you just don't know why the heck they did it, cos it's anonymous. Doesn't really contribute much to the discussion other than frustration :p

Gosh, I can see how that would be really irritating.

In fact, it would probably make more useless posts: "Who disagreed with my post?!" and "WHY DON'T MORE PEOPLE LOVE MY POSTS???????".

I can't argue much with that second point, except that people would still be able to give a proper thank you post, also a lot of good posts are viewed but not appreciated (Perhaps for time concerns?)...
Take a look at Justin's thread that he posted today in TRU Forum, it is filled with SPAM "Thank You" posts, if the Admins believe that such posts are not considered SPAMs then the Thanking System is worthless here, and shouldn't be implemented.

They still could give a proper thank you post... but would they? In this day and age plenty of people make use of the things which are there to make our lives more convenient rather than doing the best thing. Wouldn't people just rate the post instead of replying merely because it's easier?

Now, I can't really speak for the TRU forum, I don't really go there, but whatever the thread was, surely Justin would have locked it after posting it unless he wanted the responses? Of course, I don't know what Justin's motives are, but it would make sense that if he really did not wish people to reply with "thank you" then he would just lock the thread?

Muhammad
25-07-08, 22:46
I'm interested in the reasons behind an opinion

See this is exactly what I'm typing about, if a certain thank you post lacks a reason, it shouldn't be posted in the first place and should be considered SPAM.

Back to Justin's thread in TRU Forum, I personally had to scroll through all those "Thank You" posts to find posts which actually commented on the new HD screens.

Muhammad
25-07-08, 22:48

A thanking button is not an Agree/Disagree button, it is not a rating system IMO.

EDIT: Oops, double posted again...

Now, I can't really speak for the TRU forum, I don't really go there, but whatever the thread was, surely Justin would have locked it after posting it unless he wanted the responses? Of course, I don't know what Justin's motives are, but it would make sense that if he really did not wish people to reply with "thank you" then he would just lock the thread?

It was a "Update Thread" about a few all new HD screenshots from E3, I figure Justin didn't lock the thread because he wanted people to discuss the actual screens. But then again, I'm not Justin, so I should probably ask him. His thread is here (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=130596)

Cochrane
25-07-08, 22:56
See this is exactly what I'm typing about, if a certain thank you post lacks a reason, it shouldn't be posted in the first place and should be considered SPAM.

Back to Justin's thread in TRU Forum, I personally had to scroll through all those "Thank You" posts to find posts which actually commented on the new HD screens.

I agree that such a thank you post shouldn't be written. My point is that if the post isn't needed, then the much less informative "thank you button" is unlikely to be necessary as well.

Besides, I think many people would both use the button and write a post consisting mainly of smileys and an oversized "thank you". And let's be honest: If I were a mod I'd be very reluctant to tell someone off for doing that.

Now, I wouldn't mind such a button being introduced, but I don't see it as a problem that actually needs fixing. It's single threads, not the entire forum, where this is an actual problem.

Muhammad
25-07-08, 23:00
I agree that such a thank you post shouldn't be written. My point is that if the post isn't needed, then the much less informative "thank you button" is unlikely to be necessary as well.

Besides, I think many people would both use the button and write a post consisting mainly of smileys and an oversized "thank you". And let's be honest: If I were a mod I'd be very reluctant to tell someone off for doing that.

Now, I wouldn't mind such a button being introduced, but I don't see it as a problem that actually needs fixing. It's single threads, not the entire forum, where this is an actual problem.

That is why I believe it should be implemented for a few weeks, and then judged ;)
Also that less informative thank you would actually save the thread from being spammed.

Lara's Backpack
25-07-08, 23:08
I think its a horrible idea. It would take trf's down the first steps to people being judged based on their post count, and number of "thanks" or "karma" or whatever, and not on the quality of their posts.

I like Trf's just the way it is :]

jackali
25-07-08, 23:10
It was a "Update Thread" about a few all new HD screenshots from E3, I figure Justin didn't lock the thread because he wanted people to discuss the actual screens. But then again, I'm not Justin, so I should probably ask him. His thread is here (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=130596)

Ah, thanks for linking me, but I'm not going there. Way too many spoilers. :p

Agreed, in most of the forum one can find plenty of quality posts. Of course, there are threads which are basically existing solely for people to get their spam fix, like most of the forum games. :p

That is why I believe it should be implemented for a few weeks, and then judged ;)

I don't see anything wrong with a trial period for this, I just don't really think it's necessary. But I still think it could turn into a popularity contest for people trying to get the most thanks. That's just my guess though, since it hasn't happened and I can't tell the future (fortunately, I should hate being able to do that, or at least I think I would. It would take all the fun out of life. :p).

I mean, it's quite easy to see how a lot of this forum is popularity based anyway. People who are popular are more likely to get their posts replied to, or even read, whereas the people who aren't popular won't necessarily get their posts read by people on the forum, and will often simply have their point posted by someone else as if it had never been raised before anyway. But the point is that it's how most people work, most people care what other people think of them, and as such they're more likely to respond to the posts of the popular people. If that really is the case, and isn't just a pessimistic view point, then only the people who are popular would get thanks from other members, irrespective of the content of their posts.

At any rate, that's my point of view. I can't say I'm right, but I'd hate to be proved right.

Cochrane
25-07-08, 23:15
Ah, thanks for linking me, but I'm not going there. Way too many spoilers. :p

Agreed, in most of the forum one can find plenty of quality posts. Of course, there are threads which are basically existing solely for people to get their spam fix, like most of the forum games. :p

I don't see anything wrong with a trial period for this, I just don't really think it's necessary. But I still think it could turn into a popularity contest for people trying to get the most thanks. That's just my guess though, since it hasn't happened and I can't tell the future (fortunately, I should hate being able to do that, or at least I think I would. It would take all the fun out of life. :p).

I mean, it's quite easy to see how a lot of this forum is popularity based anyway. People who are popular are more likely to get their posts replied to, or even read, whereas the people who aren't popular won't necessarily get their posts read by people on the forum, and will often simply have their point posted by someone else as if it had never been raised before anyway. But the point is that it's how most people work, most people care what other people think of them, and as such they're more likely to respond to the posts of the popular people. If that really is the case, and isn't just a pessimistic view point, then only the people who are popular would get thanks from other members, irrespective of the content of their posts.

At any rate, that's my point of view. I can't say I'm right, but I'd hate to be proved right.

I have a suggestion: The username of posts wouldn't be shown until you replied to a thread, and even then only to the point where you last replied. People would be assigned automatically a randomly generated name, different for each thread, so you can follow the conversation. It's easy to subvert, of course, but in theory it would mean that user reputation would not have any impact on how the posts are received.

Disclaimer: I don't actually think this is a good idea.

Muhammad
25-07-08, 23:19
*Muhammad thanks jackali*

:p

Larson_1988
25-07-08, 23:21
I like Trf's just the way it is :]

You got it! ;)

Simple, and that's really the way it should be. :)

Mr.Burns
25-07-08, 23:27
An interesting idea that will no doubt be abused as a misguided attempt to increase one's popularity. People need to understand that it's not HOW OFTEN you post, but HOW WELL you post that really counts here. Now, I personally don't see a need for this option but I'm all for discussion. To that point, don't let this thread descend into a spam fest or this will end right now.

AmericanAssassin
25-07-08, 23:31
I don't really like the idea of a thanking system. Another forum I've used in the past had such a thing and it was just a big popularity contest. :rolleyes:

maximum_123
25-07-08, 23:33
I agree with Mr. Burns and AmericanAssassin. It's just pointless and Another popularity contest.

Muhammad
26-07-08, 00:23
People need to understand that it's not HOW OFTEN you post, but HOW WELL you post that really counts here.

Exactly my point Mr. Burns, sir.
The thanking system promotes good posts, if you make a good post, you would get thanked for it, and the thanks number would increase. If you don't, you don't then you won't get any. People would start doing their best to post good posts!

Also the number of posts in members' profile already are a part of some sort of popularity contest over here, I remember a forum I used to attend where they removed post counts entirely :D

Heckler
26-07-08, 01:34
I dont know....I dont wanna get banned for abusing that feature....:D

Camera Obscura
26-07-08, 01:39
I don't think we need it. Sure it would be a nice feature but I can live without it. Besides, many good things in life go unthanked. ;)

Punaxe
26-07-08, 01:57
In my opinion the thanking system is best suited for forums where individuals can make their own contributions that all people would benefit from. Here, mostly all we contribute is just our reaction as part of the discussion at hand. Did you want to thank everyone after every post?

Elysia
26-07-08, 07:08
They have this system over on Gateworld... and all you get are loads of people begging for 'free green' (your 'rating' is measured by little green boxes under your name). You can also give people 'red' if they say something you think is particularly bad, but obviously, trolls LOVE this feature. Sadly, for some people, gaining 'green' becomes the be-all and end-all of everything. I would rather see people contributing effectively to the forum because they want to, not because they might get a little pat on the back from other members.

When it comes down to it, if you need people 'thanking' you for your contribution to an online forum, you need to get out in the fresh air a bit more. It's just another thing to be competitive about; I can see the 'how many thank you points have you got' threads now...

Conway
26-07-08, 07:42

I'm interested in the reasons behind an opinion, and that would completely destroy that. And a post without reason behind it why the hell would the forum need such a post in the first place, let alone made easier?

This.

Muhammad
26-07-08, 08:34
They have this system over on Gateworld... and all you get are loads of people begging for 'free green' (your 'rating' is measured by little green boxes under your name). You can also give people 'red' if they say something you think is particularly bad, but obviously, trolls LOVE this feature. Sadly, for some people, gaining 'green' becomes the be-all and end-all of everything. I would rather see people contributing effectively to the forum because they want to, not because they might get a little pat on the back from other members.

When it comes down to it, if you need people 'thanking' you for your contribution to an online forum, you need to get out in the fresh air a bit more. It's just another thing to be competitive about; I can see the 'how many thank you points have you got' threads now...

It is not a rating system Elysia :) , also it is not so much as "Thanking" as it is "ABOVE NORMAL POST DUDE!"

Trigger_happy
26-07-08, 09:56
I think we've lasted long enough without one to need one now. Theres loads of problems that it would bring up and I feel that it would actually increase spam levels: look at all the post asking how to become a Mod!

Angelus
26-07-08, 10:00

However, it would have the possibility of it simply turning into a popularity contest, like any other rating system.

People will thank their friends, and so people will make more posts in order that more of their posts are thanked by their friends. In which case, the number of silly posts will increase dramatically.

I'm not saying that it's a terrible idea. I really can see how it could be good. Unfortunately it could also end up terrible.

An interesting idea that will no doubt be abused as a misguided attempt to increase one's popularity. People need to understand that it's not HOW OFTEN you post, but HOW WELL you post that really counts here. Now, I personally don't see a need for this option but I'm all for discussion. To that point, don't let this thread descend into a spam fest or this will end right now.

I think we've lasted long enough without one to need one now. Theres loads of problems that it would bring up and I feel that it would actually increase spam levels: look at all the post asking how to become a Mod!

I agree with all of these posts. :D

NOW THANK ME!

Muhammad
26-07-08, 11:18

It would decrease the level SPAM, people would actually use it instead of posting a pointless Thank You post. I've just experienced a Deja Vu wtf?

kryptonite23
26-07-08, 11:21
Nice idea but it will be a spam if too much thank you's are not prohibited.

Dakaruch
26-07-08, 11:27
The problem is that there always be some members that will thank someone independently of the posting quality. Obviously some members will thank people that they like, instead of valuing the overall post quality.
And then it can work the other way around too. Imagine that you make a controversial post that a certain member doesn't like. With this system you would probably get a negative rating for it, independently if it being a good post.
Then again there is also the problem of turning the system into a popularity contest as almost everyone already mentioned.
Sincerely i think that this feature would bring more problems than benefits to the forum...

Trigger_happy
26-07-08, 11:49
It would decrease the level SPAM, people would actually use it instead of posting a pointless Thank You post. I've just experienced a Deja Vu wtf?

I think the opposite would happen: we'd get hundreds of threads from people complaining that they aren't being thanked, or that people aren't thanking them enough, or that they're leaving because they weren't thanked enough etc. etc.

If you really agree with someone, or they helped you etc, just drop them a PM or reply in a thread- its much nicer than a horrid +1 to your "thanks level". Gah, its so impersonal it hurts.

now thank me...Angelus, I'll trade thanks with you :D

Muhammad
26-07-08, 11:59
Gah, its so impersonal it hurts.

Hypocrisy! You are on a message board goddamn! ;)
I personally feel that the phone is such an impersonal device, but then again, maybe it is just me...

But it looks like people are already planning to abuse the system, so I'm beginning to have second thoughts.

I'm still for that trial period, who is with me!?

Elysia
26-07-08, 12:25
It is not a rating system Elysia :) , also it is not so much as "Thanking" as it is "ABOVE NORMAL POST DUDE!"
It is absolutely a rating system. The 'thanking' system at Gateworld was intended to be a way for people to express agreements etc - you leave little messages with your green, saying why you've left it - but at the end of the day, it's all just a big popularity contest. People worry about how much green they get more than contributing to the community, and ironically, spam is actually UP due to this - people post more and more useless rubbish in the hopes of being 'thanked' for it (and, you know what? They are as well - they have little friendship groups and basically green everything their clique posts).

I can see it now - it'd be like the faving system on DA, with people fretting that they aren't getting thanked enough, people whinging that the more well-known members get 'thanked' more than they do, people getting sniffy because 'so and so got thanked for this more than I did...' - in all intents and purposes, no matter what its initial intention is and no matter how noble is is, it will end up as a yard stick in how people measure their popularity and will become the most important thing, like faves are on DA; forget the art and people faving work they actually think is good - I saw a STICK MAN get over 500 faves the other day because it was drawn by a 'popular' artist: no kidding. I can see it now - every single time (for example) Justin or Keir posts, he'll get 2,500 'thank yous', because people will use it as a way to get 'noticed' by the Admin / popular members.

Crayons
26-07-08, 13:47
It is absolutely a rating system. The 'thanking' system at Gateworld was intended to be a way for people to express agreements etc - you leave little messages with your green, saying why you've left it - but at the end of the day, it's all just a big popularity contest. People worry about how much green they get more than contributing to the community, and ironically, spam is actually UP due to this - people post more and more useless rubbish in the hopes of being 'thanked' for it (and, you know what? They are as well - they have little friendship groups and basically green everything their clique posts).

I can see it now - it'd be like the faving system on DA, with people fretting that they aren't getting thanked enough, people whinging that the more well-known members get 'thanked' more than they do, people getting sniffy because 'so and so got thanked for this more than I did...' - in all intents and purposes, no matter what its initial intention is and no matter how noble is is, it will end up as a yard stick in how people measure their popularity and will become the most important thing, like faves are on DA; forget the art and people faving work they actually think is good - I saw a STICK MAN get over 500 faves the other day because it was drawn by a 'popular' artist: no kidding. I can see it now - every single time (for example) Justin or Keir posts, he'll get 2,500 'thank yous', because people will use it as a way to get 'noticed' by the Admin / popular members.

You are absolutely correct,
How about that chat thing though? :p It is like a little chat box above all of the threads.

Lara Croft!
26-07-08, 13:59
Yes, we would definitely reduce the spamming with that! And I bet the biggest amount of thanks will go to a penguin for his Friday Goodies!!!

Capt. Murphy
26-07-08, 14:12
Thanks. Like 'Kudos', and/or star rankings....

As for 'rankings'.... All that does is show an average of the 1 mark ranks and the 5 mark ranks. Because, usually people will either love a post and give it 5 or hate it and give it a 1. In rare cases someone might give it a 3.

Like if someone made an overall awesome post, then blew it at the end with some pervy remark.

remote91
26-07-08, 14:23
Hmm, I don't really see the need for it. I like the forums exactly the way they are :D

Muhammad
26-07-08, 14:24

Could you at least give it a chance? TRF is not like other forums, it is unique. Therefore, we can't predict or compare.

I, for one, believe that the thanking system would certainly improve TRF! And SPAM would be reduced to nothing, trust me.

Capt. Murphy
26-07-08, 14:28
....And SPAM would be reduced to nothing, trust me.

Would you care to make a wager on that? :mis:

Spam in this forum is as common as salt in the ocean.

Elysia
26-07-08, 14:48
Could you at least give it a chance? TRF is not like other forums, it is unique. Therefore, we can't predict or compare.

I, for one, believe that the thanking system would certainly improve TRF! And SPAM would be reduced to nothing, trust me.

*shrugs* It wouldn't be my decision to implement it (although, if it was put to some kind of vote, I would vote against it. Moderating this place is sometimes a task and a half as it is now - last thing I would need as a mod is something else to keep an eye on!). All I'm saying is on all the sites that use some kind of thanking / faving system, it is abused in some way... and I can't see it being any different here. People are people, after all - we're not some mythical bunch of uber-minds!

Drone
26-07-08, 14:52
"thank" button will bring some automation. People would push "thank" button like robots.
And soon "bash" "I agree" "ditto" "seconded" "get a life" "x2" buttons will come

remote91
26-07-08, 14:57
"thank" button will bring some automation. People would push "thank" button like robots.
And soon "bash" "I agree" "ditto" "seconded" "get a life" "x2" buttons will come
Yeah, it kind of takes away the human touch of the forum.

rowanlim
26-07-08, 15:52
Hm I don't think such a system is necessary. I rather post a thank you myself than push a button :)

jackali
26-07-08, 16:20
Yeah, it kind of takes away the human touch of the forum.

Well, since this is a forum, you have to admit that most of the personal aspect of it is removed anyway, that's simply the nature of a forum. But I do agree with you, what little there is that could be considered to be somewhat more personal might simply... disappear.

Muhammad
26-07-08, 21:41
*shrugs* It wouldn't be my decision to implement it (although, if it was put to some kind of vote, I would vote against it. Moderating this place is sometimes a task and a half as it is now - last thing I would need as a mod is something else to keep an eye on!). All I'm saying is on all the sites that use some kind of thanking / faving system, it is abused in some way... and I can't see it being any different here. People are people, after all - we're not some mythical bunch of uber-minds!

By you I mean the staff of course ;)

I wonder what the Admins think of this idea...

I personally wouldn't want to become a mod even if I was payed to do so.

Also I agree with what jackali said