PDA

View Full Version : Difficulty Preferences?

Glass
26-07-08, 01:17
Firstly, I haven't really been checking the other threads, so apologies if this has already been mentioned.

How hard do you think this game should be/is going to be? Do you want it to be easier than the previous TR games, do you prefer a challenge, or would you like it to be about the same difficulty as the last ones?

pizzabob18
26-07-08, 01:29
I want it average to hard difficulty.

Not as hard as the great pyramid shaft climb in TRA, and not so hard that I throw my computer against a wall. I just don't want it as easy as Legend where I know exactly where to go and I can complete it in little time

Dakaruch
26-07-08, 01:38
Personally i would like to have a hard game, somewhat similar to TR:Last Revelation. Full of intricate puzzles, and few human enemies.
Imo TRL was a joke in terms of difficulty, and sincerely i hope that CD doesn't make a game like that again.

Laras Lil Bro
26-07-08, 02:02
Personally i would like to have a hard game, somewhat similar to TR:Last Revelation. Full of intricate puzzles, and few human enemies.
Imo TRL was a joke in terms of difficulty, and sincerely i hope that CD doesn't make a game like that again.

tr4 was the best tr game in terms of length and difficulty. CD shud really be lookin to this game for puzzle/fighting/exploring/difficulty and game length. altho CD have really hit the nail on the head as far as looks go. the new lara is more stunning than ever

ben croft
26-07-08, 02:09
Hard is the best choice for me. Always.

:mis:

The1andOnlyTR
26-07-08, 02:09
I want CD to bring back the "easy, medium, hard" thing.

Easy
~~~~~~
Tons of enviromental objects to work with
Enemie go down easier
Zip and Alistar are more talkative
Hint icons
Reticulates and Targets

Medium
~~~~~~~
Enough environmental objects to work with
Average enemie strenghth
Zip and Alistar only talk when needed
No Hint Icons
No Reticulates (or optional)

Hard
~~~~~~
Barely any environmental objects
Strong enemies
Zip and Alistar dont talk
No hit Icons
No reticulates (no option)
Limited bullets

ben croft
26-07-08, 02:12
What? Boyfriends Zip and Alister are coming back?!!

Noessssssss

:eek:

CalCooChi
26-07-08, 02:43

And the Innuedo strikes again.

:tea:

Kento
26-07-08, 02:46
Not as hard as the great pyramid shaft climb in TRA, and not so hard that I throw my computer against a wall.

Yeah! that was quite distressing though I enjoied it even more :cln:
I would like TRU to be really hard, I love adjusted jumps against time .:jmp:

Tombraiderx08
26-07-08, 04:18
I want the level diffuculty brought back, easy medium hard etc. I want more collapsable ledges (those things are old you know) and collapsable floors in someplaces would be great (ooh like traps!!! ^_^) i want it to be more difficult and full of gameplay surprises.

EmeraldFields
26-07-08, 04:26
something that makes me pull my hair out, but not ends in suicide:D

Immortalis08
26-07-08, 04:53
The most difficult setting. Furthermore, I suggest unlocking a new game mode (after beating the game in all difficulty settings) in which a Nightmare-ish mode is unlocked in which enemies are near invincible, limited uses of medipacks, and your health starts off in critical condition.

Tombraiderx08
26-07-08, 05:31
The most difficult setting. Furthermore, I suggest unlocking a new game mode (after beating the game in all difficulty settings) in which a Nightmare-ish mode is unlocked in which enemies are near invincible, limited uses of medipacks, and your health starts off in critical condition.
:eek: that difficulty can be on your copy of the game, its not going on mine :ohn:

Immortalis08
26-07-08, 05:32
:eek: that difficulty can be on your copy of the game, its not going on mine :ohn:

Whats wrong with a little suicide mission? :whi:

Tombraiderx08
26-07-08, 05:35
nothing really, just that its SUICIDE and like, impossible!!!! id totally scream if i saw that mode on the game!

just*raidin*tomb
26-07-08, 05:53
What? Boyfriends Zip and Alister are coming back?!!

Noessssssss

:eek:

Have you seen a headset?:pi:

Fallen.Angel
26-07-08, 05:57
I obviously want it to be harder than Legend :tea: That's for sure. But not extremely difficult either. Then again I liked the settings that Legend had.

Easy, Medium, Hard... that's what I'm expecting for this game

rowanlim
26-07-08, 06:03

I totally agree :tmb: ;)

toxicraider
26-07-08, 10:33

Easy
~~~~~~
Enemie go down easier
Hint icons
Reticulates and Targets

Medium
~~~~~~~
Average enemie strenghth
No Hint Icons

Hard
~~~~~~
Strong enemies
No hit Icons
Limited bullets

i'd rather the difficulty was more optional, on the first play i don't want hints or reticules or z&a but i dont want the enemies too hard or barely any objects around, i can do that on a second run through.

I do want hard puzzles and jumps though.

Drone
26-07-08, 10:38
difficulty = puzzle + acrobatic difficulty to me. I don't care about enemeis health and strength I'll put them down anyway. The meaning of difficulty should be in puzzles and locations not enemies. I remember tr4 when I was stuck in some levels for 2 or even 3 weeks in a row.

da tomb raider!
26-07-08, 10:44
I want TRU to have a difficultly that's similar to Tomb Raider 1. It starts off fairly easy, but gets considerably hard near the end.

Muhammad
26-07-08, 11:15

Oh God I lol'd! :vlol:

Shark_Blade
26-07-08, 11:24
Hard all the way. :) Maybe there should be a Super Hard mode where all the enemies are extremely difficult to kill.

Death Mask
26-07-08, 17:29
I want the difficulty to be like Core's Tomb Raider games, I love to get stuck in different parts of the game, and really use my brain to solve the really hard puzzles, there should be just one hard difficulty setting like the classics, the hell with the easy, very easy, light medium, medium, medium hard, hard etc... crap.

coolaideonfire
26-07-08, 17:32
It should be a progression - easier, or a more average difficulty, at the start of the game and as we progress it becomes much, MUCH, harder. I think CD are probably afraid of alienating some gamers, so having a progression will ease people into what the game expects of you.

thevman
26-07-08, 17:37
I don't like the easy, normal, hard setting nonsense. I prefer the old way of the gameplay difficulty ramping up as you advance level after level. Something CD games seem to lack. They just feel as easy or hard from the first level to the last. :hea:

georgehr
26-07-08, 17:50
So long as there are no more shaft type stages in TRA - hated that :mad:

silver_wolf
26-07-08, 18:03
Didn't CD already tell us the difficulty is fully customizable, i.e, # of enemies?

thevman
26-07-08, 18:09
Yes, yes they did... ;)

ben croft
26-07-08, 18:53
And the Innuedo strikes again.

:tea:

Oh God I lol'd! :vlol:

:D :whi:

remote91
26-07-08, 19:38
It should be solid as a rock, with no other settings :D

Just like the old days.

silver_wolf
26-07-08, 19:40
sounds good! btw, Dexter is awesome!:D

TRLegendLuver
26-07-08, 20:24

Easy
~~~~~~
Enemie go down easier
Hint icons
Reticulates and Targets

Medium
~~~~~~~
Average enemie strenghth
No Hint Icons

Hard
~~~~~~
Strong enemies
No hit Icons
Limited bullets

Agreed with everything on that list! :)

Dakaruch
26-07-08, 20:36
Sincerely i think that the "Easy,Medium,Hard" system is just not what you're looking for in a game like TR.
That type of difficulty setting don't help you're learning curve for the game at all. Imagine that the first level of TR:U has the exact same difficulty as the last one due to that kind of difficulty settings... It would make hard for you to understand how to play it at all, especially if the system would be as the suggested by The1andOnlyTR. If the game was to use that system, i would need to play at least in Medium difficulty in order not to hear Z&A constantly and in order not to have hints spoiling the game difficulty to me, and i can say to you that it would be hard for me to adapt to a complicated first level. Plus it would be a major disappointment that when i was actually completely adapted to the game difficulty the final level would be as hard as the first and therefore would be too accessible for a final level.
That's why i think that we should get a game without those kind of difficulty settings, and instead we should get one where you actually have a learning curve where the game gradually improves it's difficulty.
Or in case that we have the normal system, then at least i would like them to mix the both in order to always have a learning curve.

Lara Croft Fan Joe
26-07-08, 20:38
CD are obviously going to make it as flexible as possible, which is good for reaching out to a bigger audience, but I'm going to stick to the hardest mode.

ben croft
26-07-08, 20:39
When I like a game, I want to finish it 100%. Always.

:tmb:

Kento
26-07-08, 20:55
CD are obviously going to make it as flexible as possible, which is good for reaching out to a bigger audience, but I'm going to stick to the hardest mode.

I was a bit disapointed when I heard TRU won't be difficult as a punishment,( or something like that , sorry ,bad english :o ), because I really was expecting a very hard game to get stuck with the puzzles and a lot of "adjusted to the limit" jumps . But I understand that many people don't want it to be so hard , because they just want to have fun without :hea: moments .

Lara's home
26-07-08, 20:58
I want it to be hard, but I know it wont be. They have stated that it's for everyone, and in other words, that means just as easy as the past 4 Tomb Raider titles and almost all the other games out there.

*sigh* :(

revelations
26-07-08, 20:59
I think they should give us option of removing Hints and white ledges.

silver_wolf
26-07-08, 21:02
or just say "To hell w/ the wussies!" and remove 'em all together.

CalCooChi
26-07-08, 21:25
Agree with everyone who said about removing them.

MoonSword
26-07-08, 21:46
I would say medium to hard, but not excessively or artificially hard (such as this annoying adrenaline dodge)!

Crimson Tears
26-07-08, 22:21

Agree :D
I love hard games.
Makes it more...challanging...:mis:

ben croft
26-07-08, 22:45
I love hard games.

Yeahh :mis:

toxicraider
26-07-08, 22:47
Too hard and you can't change it, that would suck but optional without making it too much of a breeze and it is fine.

Wana b like Lara
26-07-08, 22:53
Um ... i think it's going to be like the previous two games :confused: , oh and remember they mentioned that you could set amount of enemies follow you :cln: ... so yeah don't forget that! :D

x :hug:

Wana b like Lara
26-07-08, 22:56
I love hard games.

I don't! -*Angry/Upset Face*- It makes me not want to play! :(

BTW Sorry for double posting

CalCooChi
26-07-08, 23:05
You can always use a walkthrough if it gets too difficult.

Poke Warrior
26-07-08, 23:24
Super Easy to Super HARD!!! XD

Death Mask
26-07-08, 23:24
Tomb Raider has always been a hard game to beat, that is of course until Crystal Dynamics took over and Core got fired, back in the day nobody had the option to change the difficulty setting to medium, easy, very easy or any of that garbage, the games started with a learning difficulty and they just kept getting harder as you spent more time playing.

The beauty of the classics is that people had to think and use their brains to get through the game, I don't want to have the option of turning down the difficulty setting if I get stuck somewhere, I want to think my way through, there is no better feeling than to get through that hard challenge that didn't let you continue with the game using your brain, turning down the difficulty just to advance further in the game kills the joy and the pride of getting through something challenging.

I believe Crystal Dynamics should get rid of the different difficulty settings and just implement the difficulty style of the classic Tomb Raider games in Underworld, and if people who get stuck in the game get frustrated and definitely need a hand making their way through, they can always check out the walkthroughs.

Caldwin
26-07-08, 23:35
I don't mind a challange. But at the same time I don't want the danger of hurling my controller at the screen in frustration or stopping playing all together because one single part is like banging my head against the wall. I think that's always been the hardest sweet spot to hit with me personally.

In the first Tomb Raider, the torso monster had me frustrated so many times when I played through. I always either ran right off the side of the ledge, or he'd just pummel me to death. Never fun.

I also don't like the hard parts where it's hard because I'm aiming my grapple at the lever to drop the cage on the serpents head and the grapple goes in a completely differant direction...or I miss a jump several times but make it that one time that takes me throught to the next checkpoint...and I have no idea what the heck I did differantly. That was even more annoying than the torso monster.

But I do agree that I want to feel like I've accomplished something by the end of the game. So many games today I go through and it's like...so...what...that's it? That was too easy.

Like I said, it's a hard sweetspot to hit.

Tomb-Dude
26-07-08, 23:55
I like the easy, medium and hard.

One because it helps out with the "older" player who can't do difficult games and the newer players and also gaves the classic "old school" gamers a chance to work their way up though difficults if they where drasticly different.

VonCroy360
27-07-08, 01:02
I agree that we should have customisable difficulty. All of us TRFers like it hard, but Eidos can't only think about the fans - TRU will hopefully be the first time playing TR for a lot of players, so they should leave an easy option as well.

Tear
27-07-08, 02:53
I don't mind a challange. But at the same time I don't want the danger of hurling my controller at the screen in frustration or stopping playing all together because one single part is like banging my head against the wall. I think that's always been the hardest sweet spot to hit with me personally.

In the first Tomb Raider, the torso monster had me frustrated so many times when I played through. I always either ran right off the side of the ledge, or he'd just pummel me to death. Never fun.

I also don't like the hard parts where it's hard because I'm aiming my grapple at the lever to drop the cage on the serpents head and the grapple goes in a completely differant direction...or I miss a jump several times but make it that one time that takes me throught to the next checkpoint...and I have no idea what the heck I did differantly. That was even more annoying than the torso monster.

But I do agree that I want to feel like I've accomplished something by the end of the game. So many games today I go through and it's like...so...what...that's it? That was too easy.

Like I said, it's a hard sweetspot to hit.

I couldn't have summed it up better.:tmb:

Dia2blo
27-07-08, 04:01
I want it HARD!!! (jeez that sounded sexually incinuating... or maybe thats just my sick mind)

KC Mraz
27-07-08, 04:54
I want it HARD!!! (jeez that sounded sexually incinuating... or maybe thats just my sick mind)

Yes, hard and long :mis:. [/innuendo]

Tombraiderx08
27-07-08, 05:26
Yes, hard and long :mis:. [/innuendo]
wowzah! yea like yall said hard and long...tehe:D

Lara's home
27-07-08, 12:26
Tomb Raider has always been a hard game to beat, that is of course until Crystal Dynamics took over and Core got fired.

Tomb Raider was hard to beat until Tomb Raider Chronicles. Only reason AoD was hard to beat was because of bugs.

Angelus
27-07-08, 12:38
The innuendo in this thread is corrupting my poor innocent mind... :p

I don't like the easy, normal, hard setting nonsense. I prefer the old way of the gameplay difficulty ramping up as you advance level after level. Something CD games seem to lack. They just feel as easy or hard from the first level to the last. :hea:

I wholeheartedly agree with this! :tmb:

Xaine05
27-07-08, 12:46
Think of puzzles within the Myst series! Goddamn some of those were so hard. So hard that in some instances you actually had to take some notes. I remember in Riven I actually had to learn the numerical system in order to progress in the game. But some of the puzzles definetely required revisiting a particular location and sometimes small things like when you entered a room and the doors opened you walk round and round the room thinking what the hell until days later when I realised if I'd only closed the doors behind me that I would have seen passageways that the open doors were blocking, simple really but had me stumped.

CalCooChi
27-07-08, 12:48
The innuendo in this thread is corrupting my poor innocent mind... :p

I wholeheartedly agree with this! :tmb:

I agree on your agreement.

On both. :p

moodydog
27-07-08, 12:52

Easy
~~~~~~
Enemie go down easier
Hint icons
Reticulates and Targets

Medium
~~~~~~~
Average enemie strenghth
No Hint Icons

Hard
~~~~~~
Strong enemies
No hit Icons
Limited bullets

yer i agree except for enviromental objects. Its not a matter of 'the more objects the easier the game is', basically, objects within the levels are good to create the feeling of exploration and puzzle solving and definately more diversity. (the more objects, obviously the more flexability and free choice we have in the levels). We dont want to take away the sence of exploration. If anything, as the hardness of the game increases, soo should the amount of objecs.

As for Reticulates, hints, and voice (Z&A) they proberbly would just have an option: on/off regardless of the difficulty. :)

:)

Sir Croft
27-07-08, 13:12
I want TRU to have a difficultly that's similar to Tomb Raider 1. It starts off fairly easy, but gets considerably hard near the end.

Yeah, I agree. :D