PDA

View Full Version : managed to come up with a good error this time

spikejones
27-07-08, 19:17
hopefully Im not saying nevermind too soon. I just decided to throw everything out and just go straight up Mandriva One. Used the partitioner to auto allocate the OS to one partition, swap to another, and a third that I changed from /home to /var/www. Turned my whole slave drive into the /home partition. Hope it runs well cause im still on the live disc.

EscondeR
28-07-08, 06:28
^ This default partitioning never failed for me, so it'll run well for you most likely :)

spikejones
28-07-08, 15:32
all works well except i am having issues sorting out the permissions for the apache server. i changed the document root to /var/www from the default location and changed the group and owner infos to in httpd.conf to correspond to the group and owner of the folder and files but I still get a 403 error. So i decided to take the partition out of /var/www and i need to figure out how to resize the root partition to take up the rest of the 27 GB that i cleared out - any ideas?

ive also not messed with the permissions on the server since last night when i failed at it so if you have any other ideas there. One complaint about mandriva is that they are so nOOb friendly that you really have to search for the devel tools to compile apache2. They don't even include apache2 in the repos.

EscondeR
29-07-08, 05:08
So i decided to take the partition out of /var/www and i need to figure out how to resize the root partition to take up the rest of the 27 GB that i cleared out - any ideas?

Is that partition on system drive?

Well, generally I must dig up my Mandriva VM to remember the details, but if you haven't installed much, you can always repartition "unsafely" (for data) from LiveCD ;)

spikejones
29-07-08, 06:01
oh... forgot to nevermind that part too. got the permissions figured and reformatted/mounted it back where it was. Anywhoo.... see if you can beat me in a race to a solution of this issue:

apache2 was not in repos like it was for ubuntu and mint - so i had to compile myself (yippe)

anyhow, the issue i have now is that apache2 does not start automatically because there is no httpd file in the /etc/rc.d/init.d/ folder (which is where the services go) - instead I have to manually start the server by issuing the command /usr/local/apache2/bin/apachectl start

How to execute that at boot time?

EscondeR
29-07-08, 06:35
Look for "apache=YES, apache_start="start"" variables in /etc/rc.conf file :)
I'll dig further...

spikejones
29-07-08, 18:32
ive found a file called /etc/rc.local which states that commands in it are executed after all others so I assume that i just put in my apachectl start command string into that file?

current uneditied rc.local

#!/bin/sh
#
### BEGIN INIT INFO
# Provides: rc.local
# X-Mandriva-Compat-Mode
# Default-Start: 2 3 4 5
# Short-Description: Local initialization script
# Description: This script will be executed *after* all the other init scripts.
# You can put your own initialization stuff in here if you don't
# want to do the full Sys V style init stuff.
### END INIT INFO

touch /var/lock/subsys/local

i dont even feel like sorting through the massive rc.sysinit file :O

EscondeR
30-07-08, 05:06
ive found a file called /etc/rc.local which states that commands in it are executed after all others so I assume that i just put in my apachectl start command string into that file?

i dont even feel like sorting through the massive rc.sysinit file :O

Yup.

:D