PDA

View Full Version : Connecting Phone to Computer using bluetooth

maximum_123
31-07-08, 17:42
I want to send a file from my iMac to my Samsung F700. However, whenever I click send file on my iMac nothing happens, no menu loads or anything. I've paired my phone with my iMac and all that. I don't know if it matters but in the bluetooth menu it says Connected : No. I assumed it would auto-connect.

Thank You in advance.

EscondeR
31-07-08, 18:09
1. Both devices must have Bluetooth turned on.

2. Both devices or at least one of must not be hidden. You perform search from another device and confirm connection on "visible" (another) device.

3. After that you can send files from "hidden" to "visible" device. Must confirm recieving also.

maximum_123
31-07-08, 18:24
1. Both devices must have Bluetooth turned on.

Check

2. Both devices or at least one of must not be hidden. You perform search from another device and confirm connection on "visible" (another) device.

Check

3. After that you can send files from "hidden" to "visible" device. Must confirm recieving also.

Can't get to this stage...

Everything is discoverable and on just when I click send file no menu on my iMac comes up like it's supposed too.

EscondeR
31-07-08, 18:38
1. You perform device search on iMac.
2. If you find your F700, you must confirm connection on F700.
3. On your iMac you just choose "Send file".
4. On F700 you confirm the reception. No choice is made on iMac.

maximum_123
31-07-08, 18:44
I watched a video on YouTube where a menu is meant to come up and you select the file you want to send. Also, if I click on the file and click send to... F700. Nothing, on the iMac or my mobile comes up.

EscondeR
31-07-08, 18:53
Just make sure both devices have Bluetooth enabled and set to discoverable.
On the Mac, go to the Bluetooth icon on the Finder Bar or in System Preferences, and find the "Set Up Bluetooth Device" menu. This will open the Bluetooth Setup Assistant.
Select the device type, in this case a mobile phone, it will appear after a minute in a list. You'll then be prompted to pair the device by tying a passkey on the phone, the Mac will then identify what functions the phone can do.

maximum_123
31-07-08, 18:58
I went through this before and again the only result it came up with is: Use The 3G Internet Connection.

Does this mean, even though object/file transfer are under my phones name in the bluetooth menu. It won't work?

spikejones
31-07-08, 22:45
what carrier are you with? I believe that certain carriers lock down the blue tooth and USB transfer features (verizon for one). You may be able to find some good support related to your phone/firmare combination over at HoFo (http://www.howardforums.com).

maximum_123
01-08-08, 07:54
I can send files phone to phone and AFAIK VodaFone doesn't limit its bluetooth. Thanks for the link to the forums, I'll register there and see what they can tell me as well.

Another thing, USB transfer worked with windows so is there any way to get that working with Mac? I think I have a CD but I'm not sure if that's Samsung Studio or Drivers. I never really payed much attention to it as before it used to work fine in USB.

maximum_123
01-08-08, 14:42
No one has replied on those forums so I'll just leave it at the conclusion that it's not possible.

Thank you for your help Alex and SpikeJones. :wve: :hug:

spikejones
01-08-08, 15:20
Is VodaFone CDMA or GSM?

If CDMA try BitPim (http://www.bitpim.org/#download)
If GSM try p2kcommander (http://www.el-co.hu/smf/index.php/board,33.0.html) (you will most likely have to compile this one from source code - but the directions to do it should be in the download. But, it is always best to try to find a package that is already built for your OS. Self compiling is always the last resort.

FYI incase you don't know - GSM used a sim card.

Out of curiosity, what kind of installer does Mac OS X use? Being that it is unix based, I assume it might use DEB or RPM packages, but its just an assumption.

EscondeR
01-08-08, 16:10
You can use RPM System for Mac OS X (http://mac.softpedia.com/get/System-Utilities/RPM.shtml) :)