PDA

View Full Version : ZIP File???

The1andOnlyTR
07-08-08, 22:11
Can anyone tell me what the program for opening ZIP files is? When ever I try to open ZIP files they open with Windows Media Player...

I only need to use a ZIP file if that is what you need to upload a mod onto the fourms!

Thanks in advance!!

Drone
07-08-08, 22:15
download and isntall winrar

http://www.rarsoft.com/download.htm

and associate all archive types with that

toxicraider
07-08-08, 22:17
Winzip or 7Zip are good, right click and say extract as you may already have winzip

The1andOnlyTR
07-08-08, 22:23
Thanks!! Ill try it!! Is a ZIP file nessacary for uploading the outfit to the web tho?? Or can u just use a folder??

spikejones
07-08-08, 22:34
Lolz. Windows XP comes with its own program for opening and compressing files into a .zip archive. It is called "compressed folders". You should be able to right click the zip icon and tell it to extract here. You may be prompted to restore MIME association of Zip files to compressed folders - agree to that. I find it strange that you have associated zip files with windows media player. Lol.

toxicraider
07-08-08, 22:35
You need to pack it into a zip file to upload, I'm not sure about winrar but 7zip you can use many different formats and create password protection as well.
Uploading as a folder won't be allowed everywhere.

^^ but he might as well get 7zip as then it opens RAR and 7z as well ;)
but yes you can just right click and say extract.

spikejones
07-08-08, 22:47
You need to pack it into a zip file to upload, I'm not sure about winrar but 7zip you can use many different formats and create password protection as well.
Uploading as a folder won't be allowed everywhere.

^^ but he might as well get 7zip as then it opens RAR and 7z as well ;)
but yes you can just right click and say extract.

yeah... they do support other formats but i was simply stating that "hey theres no need to download additional software when you are just trying to extract a zip archive"

what really annoys me is when people compress files using a proprietary format and then want to share it with the world. It is almost like a marketing scheme. Meh...

toxicraider
07-08-08, 22:50
what really annoys me is when people compress files using a proprietary format and then want to share it with the world. It is almost like a marketing scheme. Meh...

hmm well zip's used so much nowadays, followed by rar probably, it's pretty useful though.

Edit; also you cannot just upload whole folders i think, if you were remotely accessing files then you would have to create a folder and upload all the individual files, as far as uploading for others to download, you rarely see any that aren't compressed.

The1andOnlyTR
07-08-08, 23:17
Thanks ppl!! I have the files in a WinRAR ZIP archive!!! Ima get my mod online soon!!