PDA

View Full Version : A Clockwork Orange

xMiSsCrOfTx
13-08-08, 20:45
I just started reading this book today for a literary analysis project I was supposed to do over the summer. I've wanted to read it for a long time now, since I've heard a lot of good things about it (particularly here :p). School starts in a few weeks, and sadly, procrastination got the best of me, so I'm only starting now (currently on chapter 4), and I can only say three words... What the hell?! I can't understand a word they're saying in this book so far. Sounds like a bunch of gibberish to me. If I can't understand what they're saying, how am I supposed to write up a lit analysis on it? I'm going to have to resort to using Sparknotes as a reference pretty soon. The only thing I've gathered so far is that Alex and his "droogs" are pretty violent people... Am I insanely ignorant, or is this how everyone who read it felt?

:confused:

AODdigger
13-08-08, 20:48
I haven't read it, sorry... :( Sounds pretty confusing... Though I am recently into philosophy... Post modern anyways, some classical, but I'm in love with Nietzsche for now :p It does sound confusing...

Foamy
13-08-08, 20:49
I read it and started out feeling like this but after a while of reading the same weird words, you start to grasp what they are due to the context they're used in and you just readd it as though it were the most normal thing in the world. Trust me, don't give up. It's an amazing book once you get your head around the writing

xMiSsCrOfTx
13-08-08, 20:50
after a while of reading the same weird words, you start to grasp what they are due to the context they're used in and you just readd it as though it were the most normal thing in the world.

That's a little creepy. :D I won't give up, I can't give up or I'm screwed as far as my grade goes, but this is strenuous. :ton:

Geck-o-Lizard
13-08-08, 20:52
Lol. My sister decided to read it for her English project and gave up about two chapters into it. She did 1984 instead. :p

xMiSsCrOfTx
13-08-08, 20:56
Lol. My sister decided to read it for her English project and gave up about two chapters into it. She did 1984 instead. :p

Hahah. I couldn't do that one because I've already read it. >_<

jackles
13-08-08, 20:56
Read the explanatory notes enough times to get the gist and keep trying. Once you get the hang of it it will be okay. :) Just try to think of it as slang words for normal things....no different than most teenagers use....it is just different words and you will get there quicker.

Foamy
13-08-08, 20:57
To be fair, I've read it so many times I could tell you what all the slang words meant anyway lol :o

TombRaiderLover
13-08-08, 21:02
Awesome book. ;)

I actually understood the slang words very well, but then I watched the film before I read the book. If you haven't seen the film, I strongly recommend it.

Lara Croft!
13-08-08, 21:11
I haven't read the book, but I saw the movie about 3 weeks before. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066921/
Many people had told me that it was psychotic and made them sick, but they were exaggerating. At first it had some shocking scenes of violence... ( but irreversible is faaar worse!!! http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0290673/ >only perverts can like this movie...ewww:mad:)
...Then the movie became boring but overall it made you think about important issues like imprisonment and reforming of criminals. I guess that as always the book will be different, but the gist will be the same, so you can try watching it. If that doesn't work, Sparkonotes.com or 123helpme.com will do the work!:D

Angel666
13-08-08, 22:04
I hate that book. I'm still reading it after about six months. It's not the violence that bothers me, it's how it's written. It gives me a headache and is really annoying. :hea:

Lew
13-08-08, 22:06
aww alyssa ill give you a hug :D

FourBalls
13-08-08, 22:10
All this has really made me want to read the book for some reason.

xMiSsCrOfTx
13-08-08, 22:12
Awww, thankies Lew *hugs* :ton:

All this has really made me want to read the book for some reason.

Think about your decision long and hard... It's madness! :vlol:

FourBalls
13-08-08, 22:17
Think about your decision long and hard... It's madness! :vlol:
XD
Ah well, at least I know what I'll get myself into :p

Angel666
13-08-08, 22:23
Think REALLY hard. lol I think that I will make a vow to finish the book before I go to college in 09. Maybe. :p

Encore
13-08-08, 23:15
I'm guessing the book might be easier to understand after watching the movie.

remote91
13-08-08, 23:42
Watch the film, it's awesome and it will most likely help you understand the book and its language. I really want to read the book, myself :p

Lew
13-08-08, 23:50
Watch the film, it's awesome and it will most likely help you understand the book and its language. I really want to read the book, myself :p

how do you know that it makes it easier then? :/

remote91
13-08-08, 23:57
how do you know that it makes it easier then? :/
Because I am guessing it would be easier to follow the story better by watching the film. It would make it more accessible because you can put the visuals to what the characters are saying and doing.

Encore
14-08-08, 00:03
Because I am guessing it would be easier to follow the story better by watching the film. It would make it more accessible because you can put the visuals to what the characters are saying and doing.

Exactly. Specifically, misscroft seems to be having a lot of trouble with the weird language the book uses, something that will not be problematic when you have a visual description instead of a written one.

Forwen
14-08-08, 00:44
I read it and was unimpressed. Also, the translator lambasted the author for his completely misguided and clumsy incorporation of Russian into the book's language.

xMiSsCrOfTx
14-08-08, 01:09
something that will not be problematic when you have a visual description instead of a written one.

Good point. I'll have to go see if they have the movie at Blockbuster.

marla_singer
14-08-08, 13:18
Watching the film will definately put certain words into perspective, though the book uses a lot more "Nadsat" words than the film :p

Personally I loved the book and found the language quite easy to follow, but the version I have actually has Burgess' own dictionary of the language in the back haha. If you keep reading though, you will grasp it :tmb:

touchthesky
14-08-08, 15:30
My boyfriend has read it but I've only seen clippits of the movie.

It's one weird bugger of a thing.