PDA

View Full Version : The Media Industry.

Nausinous
16-08-08, 10:38
I'm really into escapism and movies are one of my favourite ways of escaping but lately I'm seeing a lack of innovative films. The only film I've watched this year was The Dark Knight and that was simply because of how gritty and different it was but it seems as if the industry has dried up of ideas. Where did all the fantasy movies by Disney go? Where did all the action epics go? I feel like the industry is wasting its money on films like 'You don't mess with the Zohan' and 'Disaster Movie', when the big earners should be investing in more original titles. Though I guess the movie industry followed that of all industries, it started off small, anyone with some cash could produce something available to everyone, it was unique, each property had a personality and then people with the money came along, the properties personalities didn't matter as long as it produced money and everything became stale and generic.

In fact I've changed the thread title because I think there hasn't been a lot in the media industry (Games, Music, Movies and Books) that has really caught me like some of the classics that were released when I was younger. What do you think about the way the media industry is going? Do you think the money is influencing the industry too much?

Discuss :D

MiCkiZ88
16-08-08, 10:51
Media industry = money greedy. There are few artists (be it directors, musicians, producers - though not really artists, and what not) left who do it just for the fun of it or creating something brilliant. Movies repeat the same formula over and over again and there aren't that many new films that have left me in awe. It's better to play safe and repeat something that gains money. It's funny how some amatuer artists can create something much better than those in the business.

Nannonxyay
16-08-08, 10:54
I liked "Don't Mess With The Zohan" it was quite original, actually.

Nausinous
16-08-08, 10:57
Media industry = money greedy. There are few artists (be it directors, musicians, producers - though not really artists, and what not) left who do it just for the fun of it or creating something brilliant. Movies repeat the same formula over and over again and there aren't that many new films that have left me in awe. It's better to play safe and repeat something that gains money. It's funny how some amatuer artists can create something much better than those in the business.

Like some of the creations with the level editor look ten times better than anything Core Design ever made and they are amatuers just like you said. Its definately dissapointing.

Cochrane
16-08-08, 10:59
Well, making a movie costs a lot of money, and that is certainly our fault too: Most of us tend to prefer movies with well-known actors, cool special effects and the like. So of course, what they do is copy what already works, because a failing movie (which happens often enough) is something nobody likes.

At the end of the day, that is the problem every creative professional (as opposed to artist who does it only for the art) has: Creativity and safety, especially income safety, are directly opposed to each other, but we need both to get great movies.

There has been the theory that the internet is helping against this, because internet audiences are more forgiving of new things. Doctor Horrible's Sing-Along Blog (http://drhorrible.com/) would, if it had only been released (longer, of course) in cinemas likely not found as huge a fan base, since cinema goers tend to be more reluctant to try something completely new and odd.