PDA

View Full Version : NTL cable broadband modem

illuminati30
16-08-08, 17:20
Hey folks

I have Virgin media, and they provide my internet service. They took over ntl. I still use the ntl cable broadband modem, but the thing is, i have never been able to use the ethernet port on the modem and have always used the USB. This is causing a problem now as i am trying to install a wireless router which connects via the ethernet port, so i can have a wireless connection at home for laptop and online gaming.

Any advice on how to get this port working on the modem, or even to test it?

Any help offered is much appreciated.

Thanks

Kev

demonslayer
17-08-08, 16:27
ive got one of NTL's old modems and i have no problem using my router with it, is it the blue one or the old grey one you have?

spikejones
17-08-08, 18:32
curious if you have ethernet drivers installed for your computer, and if the IP addressing scheme is set properly ie. for dynamic assignment. There should be no reason that Ethernet does not work with the modem UNLESS you are trying to run both the usb and ethernet at same time - that way will NEVER work on a modem. It may also be that the ethernet port on either device is faulty. No way of knowing for sure without connecting to it and testing.

illuminati30
17-08-08, 18:49
curious if you have ethernet drivers installed for your computer,

I think I do, its a laptop computer that i bought in 04, and it has an ethernet port at the side.

and if the IP addressing scheme is set properly ie. for dynamic assignment.

Not sure about that, don't know what it means or how to check.

UNLESS you are trying to run both the usb and ethernet at same time -

No, not trying to do that.

It may also be that the ethernet port on either device is faulty. No way of knowing for sure without connecting to it and testing.

I think the computer one is fine, as the pc will connect to the router and it will light up to show a connection via the ethernet socket. The ethernet light on the cable modem has never lit up though, not even when i was trying to install the software, it never worked, and my solution was to use the USB instead. I phoned Virgin about it, and they are going to send me a new Cable modem.

Hopefully that will fix the problem, as we have 2 computers now, and a PS3 and Wii, both of which I would really like to connect online.

Thanks Spike.

spikejones
17-08-08, 19:01
you shouldnt need any software to create a connection from ethernet to ehternet - except for drivers for the ethernet card on the laptop. must you use some sort of connection helper application for your internet?

try this:
disconnect USB cable from both devices
Restart the modem (unplug / replug)
connect ethernet cable
test ethernet connection and see if you get connection to internet

if nothing:
go to start menu -> run
type "cmd' w/o quotes and press enter
in the new window type "ipconfig /all" w/o quotes and press enter

you should see a listing of all infomation associated with your network device(s)
look for the one listed as ethernet card and check the line that says "DHCP enabled......"
does that line say YES?

illuminati30
17-08-08, 19:15
Nope, didn't work, and when i type:

cmd i get a window which looks like dos, saying c:\documents and settings\my name

and when i type
ipconfig /all

all i see is the words "Windows IP Configuration" and nothing else.

:(

spikejones
17-08-08, 19:36
I forgot to mention that your ethernet card should be enabled in network connections.

Right click "my network places" desktop icon -> choose properties
look at the icons there - there should be one for your ethernet card. make sure it is enabled.

matter of fact, while you are there:

- go ahead and right click on (LAN connection) and choose properties.
in the window that comes up, there is a list of different networking protocols such as "client for microsoft networks", scroll that list down until you see "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" - highlight that one by clicking once on it. Then click the button for properties. You will now be presented with a window asking you to either specify an IP address or to use automatic address. Choose the option to use automatic address. Make a screen shot of the three windows you should now have open (network connections, LAN properties, TCP/IP properties window). Apply all the changes and exit.

illuminati30
17-08-08, 19:58
I forgot to mention that your ethernet card should be enabled in network connections.

Right click "my network places" desktop icon -> choose properties
look at the icons there - there should be one for your ethernet card. make sure it is enabled.

matter of fact, while you are there:

- go ahead and right click on (LAN connection) and choose properties.
in the window that comes up, there is a list of different networking protocols such as "client for microsoft networks", scroll that list down until you see "Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)" - highlight that one by clicking once on it. Then click the button for properties. You will now be presented with a window asking you to either specify an IP address or to use automatic address. Choose the option to use automatic address. Make a screen shot of the three windows you should now have open (network connections, LAN properties, TCP/IP properties window). Apply all the changes and exit.

Yeah i have changed it to enabled, but it says 'network cable unplugged'. When you say click on LAN properties, i take it you mean for the ethernet? Automatic addresses was already selected. Can't do screen dumps right now, i don't even have any software to paste them to, not even paint, or anything.

I really do feel it is the modem. Even when i tried to connect my Xbox to Xbox live, quite a while ago, it was saying there was no connection, and the ENET light on the modem has never lit up.

spikejones
17-08-08, 20:07
Yeah i have changed it to enabled, but it says 'network cable unplugged'. When you say click on LAN properties, i take it you mean for the ethernet? Automatic addresses was already selected. Can't do screen dumps right now, i don't even have any software to paste them to, not even paint, or anything.

I really do feel it is the modem. Even when i tried to connect my Xbox to Xbox live, quite a while ago, it was saying there was no connection, and the ENET light on the modem has never lit up.

okay..
are you using the same ethernet cable then for both devices? If so, try a different cable as the cable may be the faulty one.

why dont you have mspaint?

get GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/) you can do a screen capture and import to that application (plus efficiently resize the image):
File -> Acquire -> paste as new (after doing print screen)
or simply: File -> Acquire -> Screenshot

illuminati30
17-08-08, 20:12
okay..
are you using the same ethernet cable then for both devices? If so, try a different cable as the cable may be the faulty one.

Yeah mate, but the cable is fine, in fact it has never been used because of this. Apart from yesterday, i connected the pc to the wireless router with it, and low and behold, the light on the wireless router light up to show that the router had acknowledged the ethernet connection, but this has never happened on the modem.

why dont you have mspaint?

I don't know. I know everyone says a PC comes with Paint installed, but mine honestly didn't.

get GIMP (http://www.gimp.org/) you can do a screen capture and import to that application (plus efficiently resize the image):
File -> Acquire -> paste as new (after doing print screen)
or simply: File -> Acquire -> Screenshot

Thanks I will do.

You are a star :tmb:

spikejones
17-08-08, 20:20
sounds to me like youve got it understood then. one suggestion for getting to paint if you have no option for it in your start menu.

start -> run -> mspaint

illuminati30
17-08-08, 20:23
start -> run -> mspaint

Oh yeah, there it is lol

:o

Thanks!

illuminati30
17-08-08, 20:26
ive got one of NTL's old modems and i have no problem using my router with it, is it the blue one or the old grey one you have?

Sorry, i didn't even see your post, it is the old grey one.

spikejones
17-08-08, 20:26
:tmb::whi:

EscondeR
18-08-08, 05:23
Try one thing, there must be an option in modem settings via HTTP to reset to defaults, or a small reset button on the modem itself. So try reverting to factory default settings, then try using Ethernet port.

spikejones
18-08-08, 06:14
ah yes wize one. did not think of that as a possibility on a modem. i dont think my modem has a reset button on it though. Matter of fact, this new one ive got ever since the power surge a couple weeks ago killed my old one (and messed up my monitor ... no more high resolution over 1024x768) does not have even a power button now that ive actually looked at it. :O

demonslayer
18-08-08, 10:27
Try one thing, there must be an option in modem settings via HTTP to reset to defaults, or a small reset button on the modem itself. So try reverting to factory default settings, then try using Ethernet port.

not on the old NTL modems im afraid... only the new Virgin ones :(

Sorry, i didn't even see your post, it is the old grey one.

i know there are some issues with the ethernet port on these old grey modems, i used to have one. then i phoned NTL at the time and they gave me a replacement blue one with an improved ethernet port that allows you to connect the modem to a router with ease. this is why the installation cd reccomends that you install your modem through USB to avoid using the dodgy ethernet ports

This is the one i have at the mo:

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/images/ntl250a.jpg

and you have this one illuminati30:

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/toolsservices/tiermigration/img_cablemodem.jpg

did you ever have your internet connection comming from a set top box?

illuminati30
19-08-08, 22:55
i know there are some issues with the ethernet port on these old grey modems, i used to have one. then i phoned NTL at the time and they gave me a replacement blue one with an improved ethernet port that allows you to connect the modem to a router with ease. this is why the installation cd reccomends that you install your modem through USB to avoid using the dodgy ethernet ports

Ah that explains it! I guess I sit tight until it gets here! Who knows when though! Grrrr! I want my wireless now, I hate waiting lol

and you have this one illuminati30:

http://www.virginmedia.com/images/toolsservices/tiermigration/img_cablemodem.jpg

That's the one!

did you ever have your internet connection comming from a set top box?

Defo not lol!

Thanks!

illuminati30
20-08-08, 22:03
Thanks for all your help folks. My new broadband modem came from Virgin today, and I now have my desktop, my laptop, my Wii and PS3 all on-line.

:jmp: :yah:

spikejones
20-08-08, 22:14
wootness. wanna take a shot at encrypting everything for security?

illuminati30
20-08-08, 22:38
wootness. wanna take a shot at encrypting everything for security?

I think it is already, using WPA2?

spikejones
20-08-08, 22:40
good deal then:tmb: