PDA

View Full Version : Can't account for large part of C drive

illuminati30
16-08-08, 21:17
Hi folks

Recently my computer has been running really slow. I decided to do a right click on my C drive to see how much is in use. In total it is 55.8 GB. I was shocked to see that it said I was using 51.1 GB with only 4.6 left.

I don't understand this. When i open the C drive, I have various folders, with contents only in KB, my documents and settings folder 11 GB, a couple of other folders no greater than 30 Mb, a 1GB video game, program files of 9 GB, and windows folder of 7. That only adds to approximately 30 GB.

I have no idea what the other 20.2 are being used for? Any ideas?

Titanium
16-08-08, 21:21
System Restore can take huge chunks out of your hard drive.

illuminati30
16-08-08, 21:23
System Restore can take huge chunks out of your hard drive.

I don't do that though. Any way of getting them back?

Titanium
16-08-08, 21:33
I don't do that though. Any way of getting them back?

Yeah theres a way, but if you dont use System Restore then we need to find whats taking out so much of it. Have you used Cleansweep/Disk Cleanup or Crapcleaner?

We ideally need Esconder (Mr know it all. :D) to be here.

illuminati30
16-08-08, 21:48
Yeah theres a way, but if you dont use System Restore then we need to find whats taking out so much of it. Have you used Cleansweep/Disk Cleanup or Crapcleaner?

We ideally need Esconder (Mr know it all. :D) to be here.

I have used it system restore in the past, but on a different PC, never needed to with this one. I did wonder if some kind of back up utility might be running without me knowing, but I can't think of anything.

No, i have not tried them, but i will give it a go :tmb: Thanks.

Titanium
16-08-08, 21:50
Cleansweep/Disk cleanup will be under accessories and system tools.

Now just need to wait for Esconder or Spike. ;)

spikejones
16-08-08, 22:05
you dont necessarily need to be using system restore for it to be taking up space on your drive. What actually happens is (depending on how your system is set up) the computer will make back ups of your entire registry - these files are super deeply hidden where no one ever notices them. Depending on how old the machine is (or how often a system restore point is made) That location can become very large taking up masses of space on your drive.

Check into the above first by looking at the troubleshooting section on this page: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb490854.aspx. After that, run CCleaner (http://www.ccleaner.com/) to clean out junk as well as your registry. Finally, defragment your hard drive.

Failing that, something along the lines of what is below may be the issue:
Ive experienced not long ago on my phones transflash card that when I deleted about 800MB worth of stuff that the files were gone but somehow the space was still being occupied. The only way I could fix that and reclaim the space that I knew should be on there was to fully reformat the card.
(but i'd wait for eskie to put some more though into this first before reformatting the drive)

illuminati30
16-08-08, 23:19
Managed to free up about 6.5 GB, with the clean up of old system restore data, and a few MB from CCleaner. The PC is actually running disc defrag, which it has never done before, without coming up some error message, so my fingers are crossed it will finish it!

PC is running a bit faster which is the main thing, and at least I am getting somewhere, but I still feel puzzled by how much memory is in use. Anyway, i will see how i get on.

Thanks for the help guys :wve:

spikejones
17-08-08, 00:05
when you say memory, do you mean RAM memory, or do you mean hard disk STORAGE?

memory and storage are different things so its confusing that you mention memory when your thread is about storage. please explain

illuminati30
17-08-08, 00:17
when you say memory, do you mean RAM memory, or do you mean hard disk STORAGE?

memory and storage are different things so its confusing that you mention memory when your thread is about storage. please explain

Sorry, i mean storage space, and not RAM.

illuminati30
17-08-08, 13:07
Have installed a trial version of tuneup utilities 08. Its really good actually. Even helps you with start up, and tells you exactly what each item is, how useful it is, and whether it is really needed, and if you want to turn it off on start up. Much easier to understand than msconfig. Different ways of improving performance, and freeing up disk space. It's recommended, although, i dunno if i will buy it after the trial is over, but it's possible!

illuminati30
17-08-08, 20:59
Thought I would let yous know the outcome. Using tuneup utilities 08, i have created 18.4 GB of free space :tmb:

Is really is a helpful package.

EscondeR
18-08-08, 05:24
Just ensure you haven't (and won't further) kill something that you may need later ;)

illuminati30
19-08-08, 22:51
Just ensure you haven't (and won't further) kill something that you may need later ;)

lol i will thanks.

Andariel
20-08-08, 02:14
Permanently erasing the System Restore Points every blue moon is good. Also permanently erasing files you don't need and wiping the free disk space every blue moon is good in case you emptied a lot of junk into the Recycle Bin. Wiping free space can take a full day whereas erasing big files can take a few minutes.

That's what I do with East-Tec Eraser. You'd have to read the instructions booklet to change the settings to your preference first and know how to use it. The way to regain the most disk space is with a program like that. Cheaper than buying another hard drive and easier than reformatting. :wve:

JonnyT
31-08-08, 00:00
Also, (Don't know if you do or not), in Vista I've recorded all the Friends Episodes (No.. Not sad atall...), and it's used up around 100GB. So another reason could be recorded TV programs (If you do that and if you have Vista).

spikejones
31-08-08, 01:53
:rolleyes:
recording a tv show doesnt matter what OS you are on, it will always take same amount of space for same file at same quality. also, this thread is 10 days old and was no need to post in it again as a solution was found.

JonnyT
01-09-08, 20:01
*Hands Up* My bad