PDA

View Full Version : Future TR games - "stand-alone" or connected to previous games?

paulwork
17-08-08, 18:23
I have been thinking abou this today.

Would you prefer that TR games are self-contained / stand-alone games in their own right? Or do you think they should connect with storylines and characters in previous games?

I think there should be a few constant characters e.g. Lara, Winston etc... A few temporary cameo appearances for the fans (e.g. Pierre) but the main TR games are self-contained and don't connect with previous TR games/villains/plots etc...

Mad Tony
17-08-08, 18:23

Would you prefer that TR games are self-contained / stand-alone games in their own right? Or do you think they should connect with storylines and characters in previous games?

I think there should be a few constant characters e.g. Lara, Winston etc... A few temporary cameo appearances for the fans (e.g. Pierre) but the main TR games are self-contained and don't connect with previous TR games/villains/plots etc...I agree completely :tmb:

I'd love to see the old formula back. I doubt it'll ever happen though.

TombRaiderLover
17-08-08, 18:28
I'd rather they were stand-alone. :wve:

Kerrigan
17-08-08, 18:53
Yes, I think they were better when they were stand alone.At least if they don't have a good, reliable story (unlike AOD, IMO, which did deserve a trilogy) they should definitely stop trying to make it seem "epic".

TombRaiderCool
17-08-08, 18:57
I will settle for either, may it be stand-alone or connections. :)

pEhouse
17-08-08, 19:00
I prefer stand-alone. Because I rather have new enemies and stories than dragging the same things through 2 or more games. It's too boring for me.

patriots88888
17-08-08, 19:42
IMO every TR game should have its own identity. No remakes, no previous connections. ;)

rickybazire
17-08-08, 20:26
It would be nice if they were slightly related, but obviously not completely related. The thing about the characters would be cool.

thecentaur
17-08-08, 20:29
i don't like absolutely connected storyline because if you miss one game, you're screwed :S

however i like the idea of easter eggs in games that refer to previous ones like if somehow lara finds a dagger in thailand that looks similar to the dagger of xian or somehting :)

spikejones
17-08-08, 20:49
i don't like absolutely connected storyline because if you miss one game, you're screwed :S

however i like the idea of easter eggs in games that refer to previous ones like if somehow lara finds a dagger in thailand that looks similar to the dagger of xian or somehting :)

thats the developers way of getting you to go back and buy the older games. can anyone pronounce "marketing":ton:

Personally I think the tr games are boring as crap without an enthralling storyline. BUT there are certain characters that are just unnecessary to the story IMO (zip and alister) and should be left out of the games. TBH, Ive not played all the games so I can't honestly say as if Lara has showed a true progression of being a 3 dimensional character by growing from one game to another. The games should definitely have a continuing storyline in my opinion. There is nothing worse than a two dimensional character - that makes the game boring. Lara, in my opinion, should grow and change as the events in each game affect her personality and actions.

Larapink
17-08-08, 20:53
I think there should be a few constant characters e.g. Lara, Winston etc... A few temporary cameo appearances for the fans (e.g. Pierre) but the main TR games are self-contained and don't connect with previous TR games/villains/plots etc...
I agree with you. :tmb:

Watch this space. :D

SamReeves
17-08-08, 20:54
I guess TRU would complete the "trilogy" that CD has proposed, so wouldn't they be able to go into a totally different storyline?

In any case Lara Croft's biography has already been too polluted by CD, Core and Paramount. It frankly doesn't matter whose version it is, as long as there's something to do or see in the future.

TRexbait
17-08-08, 23:23
Maybe a two or even three part storyline (ie. Aod trilogy, Legend storyline). As long as all of the games from here on out have the aelia storyline. Connected storylines are good, and stand-alones are better.

Encore
17-08-08, 23:32

After the incredibly worn out plot they're using now, I'm seriously hoping for stand alone adventures. :mad: And I also hope that they start coming up with their own characters too. Good ones that is. (Amanda + Rutland = fail).

Besides like Sam said Lara's been way too messed up and inconsistent. I hope they stop exploring her deepest emotions and motivations because otherwise people will start getting sick of her (I know I already skip a lot of cutscenes). Shift the focus to the adventure instead of LaraLaraLaraLaraLara!

dream raider
17-08-08, 23:38
thats the developers way of getting you to go back and buy the older games. can anyone pronounce "marketing":ton:

Personally I think the tr games are boring as crap without an enthralling storyline. BUT there are certain characters that are just unnecessary to the story IMO (zip and alister) and should be left out of the games. TBH, Ive not played all the games so I can't honestly say as if Lara has showed a true progression of being a 3 dimensional character by growing from one game to another. The games should definitely have a continuing storyline in my opinion. There is nothing worse than a two dimensional character - that makes the game boring. Lara, in my opinion, should grow and change as the events in each game affect her personality and actions.

I agree!

Watch this space. :D

Why? :)

EmeraldFields
17-08-08, 23:40
Make it connected for two games at the most. I hate having to wait a couple years to finally figure out the story.:)

AmericanAssassin
18-08-08, 00:02
Hmmm... This is a difficult question for me to answer. I love stand-alone games, but I'm also excited that TRU ties in with TRL and TRA.

I'm a sucker for trilogies, so I guess I think a plot should span across three games. One HUGE game would be ideal, though. :whi:

Neteru
18-08-08, 16:52
I suppose it makes little difference to me as I don't care a jot for any storyline. All I'm bothered about is good gameplay.

rowanlim
18-08-08, 17:08
I'd like a mix of both. I don't mind having connected games because I kinda like the idea of continuity. I also would like Lara to have some stand-alone adventures :) :tmb:

Lara Croft!
18-08-08, 17:18
I would like each game to have a brand new scenario, bad guys, style, locations etc. If they want to keep a continuation, they can bring up characters from time to time. For example having Zip helping her, but in one level only, or as she raids a tomb to find a box of Natla industries, like in Legend. Brief character comebacks and Easter eggs for me.