PDA

View Full Version : Bodies revealed!

EmeraldFields
18-08-08, 00:05
So, last weekend I went to this exhibit in Kansas City called Bodies Revealed. Read the following Info about it and then I want to know if you think that this is morally right for science to do.

Bodies Revealed is a traveling exhibition of preserved human bodies and body parts that are prepared using a technique called plastination to reveal inner anatomical structures. The exhibition's developer and promoter is a German anatomist named Gunther von Hagens, who invented the plastination technique in the late 1970s at the University of Heidelberg.

The exhibit states that its purpose and mission is the education of laymen about the human body, leading to better health awareness. All the human plastinates are from people who donated their bodies for plastination via a body donation programme.

Each Body Worlds exhibition contains around 25 full body plastinates with expanded or selective organs shown in positions that enhanced the role of certain systems. More than 200 specimens of real human organs and organ systems are displayed in glass cases, some showing various medical conditions.

Some of the bodies include prosthetics such as artificial hip joints or heart valves; a liver with cirrhosis. The lungs of a smoker and non-smoker are placed side by side. A prenatal display features fetuses and embryos, some with congenital disorders.

All exhibits are accompanied with detailed descriptions and audio guides with the option of beginner or advanced, for laymen or medical professionals respectively.

HERE IS HOW PLASTINATION IS PERFORMED

http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/plastination/method_plastination.html

PICTURES OF EXHIBIT

(THESE ARE REAL HUMAN SPECIMENS!!! IF GROSSED OUT BY WATCHING DOCTORS PERFORMING SURGERY, THIS WILL PROBABLY GROSS YOU OUT TOO!)

http://i35.************/2rpwqy8.jpg
http://i36.************/2cn77kl.jpg
http://i37.************/t9fccp.jpg
http://i34.************/33o4nli.jpg

Encore
18-08-08, 00:07
I think it's pretty cool. The last picture is awesome. :eek:
This exhibition was here in Portugal but I didn't go to see it (too expensive :whi:).

As for morally wrong, I don't think it is at all, because of this:

All the human plastinates are from people who donated their bodies for plastination via a body donation programme.

amiro1989
18-08-08, 00:07
We had this exposition in Montreal, as well.

thecentaur
18-08-08, 00:09
wow this kind of stuff is astounding :eek:

Punaxe
Damn I so wanted to see that exhibition when it was in Amsterdam some years ago. Unfortunately I missed it. :(

And, these people consented to giving our dead bodies up for science... Nothing wrong there.

KC Mraz

A naked chick! Woho!! :cln:

j/k. She's a little bit too naked

Tombcool
18-08-08, 00:10
That not really new, here in Toronto, Canada, there is a science exhibit called "Body Works" that does the exact same thing. Went to go see it twice, but yeah, the people donated their bodies.

EmeraldFields
18-08-08, 00:11
I think it's pretty cool. The last picture is awesome. :eek:
This exhibition was here in Portugal but I didn't go to see it (too expensive :whi:).

As for morally wrong, I don't think it is at all, because of this:

The reason I ask is b/c my Grandpa was totally freaked by it and said that it was wrong to "gauk at corpses" (his words).

AmericanAssassin
18-08-08, 00:14
Honestly, I find the idea of the "Bodies" exhibit to be very disturbing. :(

patriots88888
18-08-08, 00:15
I really don't have much of a problem with it. They voluntarily donated their bodies and it seems like it's for all the right reasons: Better health awareness. :)

Not sure about the prenatal display though, from a moral standpoint.

Thanks for posting this. Most interesting. :)

AmericanAssassin
18-08-08, 00:19

Oh. My. God. :mad: There's a dead baby inside of that woman. That's horrible! They shouldn't have done that. :cen:

jackali
18-08-08, 00:33
I remember when this came over here. It really was fascinating. :)

Weird, but fascinating.

Death Mask
18-08-08, 00:37
lol I don't see anything gross about this.

Shrantellatessa
18-08-08, 00:41
OMG :yik: Very disturbing, yet very fascinating!

AnthonyShock1515
18-08-08, 00:47
lol I didn't bother reading the actual post and looked at the pics. I thought: "Hmm, some plastic bodies....oook" then I found out...

...they were human:confused:

lol

Nitro Typhoon
18-08-08, 00:54
Oh. My. God. :mad: There's a dead baby inside of that woman. That's horrible! They shouldn't have done that. :cen:

What's wrong with the people of this forum?

Can't they see that they are not real bodies but just plasticine, and that nobody has 'donated' their dead corpses so some people could learn something new? :confused:

EmeraldFields
18-08-08, 00:59

Can't they see that they are not real bodies but just plasticine, and that nobody has 'donated' their dead corpses so some people could learn something new? :confused:

READ THE FIRST POST!;)

THEY ARE REAL HUMANS!!!

Here is how the process is performed.

http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/plastination/plastination_process.html

And here in more detail

http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/plastination/method_plastination.html

READ!!:)

AmericanAssassin
18-08-08, 00:59

The article says that they are real bodies and that they are from people who donated their bodies. And, this isn't the only place I've read that. :confused:

Nitro Typhoon
18-08-08, 01:02
READ THE FIRST POST!;)

THEY ARE REAL HUMANS!!!

Here is how the process is performed.

http://www.bodyworlds.com/en/plastination/plastination_process.html

READ!!:)

OMG, I must have misread the word plastinates as plastacines! :cln:
I'm so sorry :o
I'm such an idiot.

You're right.. that is quite disturbing :pi:

EmeraldFields
18-08-08, 01:09
OMG, I must have misread the word plastinates as plastacines! :cln:
I'm so sorry :o
I'm such an idiot.

You're right.. that is quite disturbing :pi:

No harm done! :D LOL

Shrantellatessa
18-08-08, 02:02
After a second reflection, I find this scary and very degrading to humans (open brains, abdomens, wombs...WTH), even with their consent. That's my personal point of view, so no offense.

Ward Dragon
18-08-08, 02:08
I saw a similar exhibit and I was extremely uncomfortable about it. Some of the poses were just grotesque and I felt extreme revulsion all throughout the exhibit. I don't want to go anywhere near such an exhibit again.

Encore
18-08-08, 02:12
Ya know... I find it pretty fascinating and when I started reading other members' opinions about this I started wondering: "wow.. I must be one extremely sick person". :vlol:

Ward Dragon
18-08-08, 02:15
Ya know... I find it pretty fascinating and when I started reading other members' opinions about this I started wondering: "wow.. I must be one extremely sick person". :vlol:

Nah, it's not a moral objection on my part (provided that the people actually did donate their bodies -- there are rumors to the contrary :(). I just have this intense physical revulsion to being near dead animals. I could barely even handle doing dissections in biology lab because I freak out when I touch dead things, so being that close to actual dead people made my skin tingle as I made extra sure not to bump into anything (the individual organ exhibits are in display cases, but the complete bodies are just standing there open to the air).

Quasimodo
18-08-08, 02:16
Ugh. Can you imagine how these were made? Now there's a disturbing thought!

Shrantellatessa
18-08-08, 02:21

I've just made a little research starting from Wikipedia & ending at bodyworks.com and I saw a pic of some bodies inside some vacuum thingy, really disturbing :(

Ward Dragon
18-08-08, 02:23

I'm still trying to figure out how they got a person's entire circulatory system out and floating in a tank. I found references to "corrosion casting" but I'm not sure what that is and couldn't find a definition for it.

Quasimodo
18-08-08, 02:24
Ohhhh whatever happened to just painting bowls of fruit :(

Encore
18-08-08, 02:26
Ohhhh whatever happened to just painting bowls of fruit :(

:vlol: Sorry that just made me LOL, literally!

You HAVE to admire this artist's preserverance. :eek:

Ward Dragon
18-08-08, 02:26
Woo hoo, google likes me today! I finally found out what it means.

Corrosion casting

a tissue preparation technique that involves the injecting of plastic (acrylates) into blood vessels or other hollow viscera and treating the tissue with a caustic substance. This results in a negative copy or a solid replica of the enclosed space of the tissue that is ready for viewing under a scanning electron microscope.

http://www.biology-online.org/dictionary/Corrosion_casting

Tihocan9
18-08-08, 02:59
Personally I think it is wrong for there to be exhibits like this..it isn't my religion saying that it is my morals. I beleive the human body should be treated with respect, especially our dead. And showing their bodies in front of millions of people in museums is not respectful, even if they donated their bodies.

Tyrannosaurus
18-08-08, 03:28
Having my own remains on public display is good for my publicity, so I have nothing to say in objection to those humans who would wish to achieve immortality through this end.

spikejones
18-08-08, 04:13

yeah.... naked baby too. wonder if the waver applied to the baby as well? or is that a fake baby in there?

At any rate, I find it pretty cool to be honest. Many people donate their bodies to science. Many people donate their organs to people who need them. I think it is great to be honest. It's very educational. I'd love to see something like this close up (as long as it didnt stink of formaldehyde or w/e) Saying that this is wrong is like saying that you would have your surgeon operate on you having only a minor assumption of what does what and where it goes. The original autopsies that were the beginnings of our modern understanding of the human anatomy were performed by exhuming dead bodies and cutting them open. Some may call that defecation, but really - the person is dead they don't care. And had that not been done, we may not know today as much as we do.

EmeraldFields
18-08-08, 05:57
yeah.... naked baby too. wonder if the waver applied to the baby as well? or is that a fake baby in there?

At any rate, I find it pretty cool to be honest. Many people donate their bodies to science. Many people donate their organs to people who need them. I think it is great to be honest. It's very educational. I'd love to see something like this close up (as long as it didnt stink of formaldehyde or w/e) Saying that this is wrong is like saying that you would have your surgeon operate on you having only a minor assumption of what does what and where it goes. The original autopsies that were the beginnings of our modern understanding of the human anatomy were performed by exhuming dead bodies and cutting them open. Some may call the defecation, but really - the person is dead they don't care. And had that not been done, we may not know today as much as we do.

Nope, No smell! I got really close too. I also agree with what you said about doctors learning from dead people. Without this knowledge we would all have a life expectancy of around 40 and doctors would have made a lot of mistakes!:)

kthnxbai
18-08-08, 06:52

she's a little bit too pregnant as well...

I remember seeing a tv series like this...

Think it was the same guy

It's all very interesting, albeit slightly disturbing

Angelx14
18-08-08, 07:00
This reminds me of one German film, where they killed people(new students in the surgery uni, to be precise) to use for a purpose like this.

Feather Duster
18-08-08, 07:36
If the people are dead, how are their bodies donated wit their consent?:confused:

ChingKong
18-08-08, 07:39
O yeah ive heard of this my dad went and brought me a t-shirt from the place....and a dvd...fraky but AWESOME!

EmeraldFields
18-08-08, 07:44
If the people are dead, how are their bodies donated wit their consent?:confused:

LOL, they consent before they die by signing a contract:)

You can sign up here to donate your body here!

http://www.bodymobil.de/en/body_donation/faq.html?edit#How

scion05
18-08-08, 07:56
My friend wanted us to go and see this recently, but it's ended now :(

Feather Duster
18-08-08, 09:00
I heard they got closed down cause of killing inmates for bodies.

AODdigger
18-08-08, 09:03
Beautiful.

Angelx14
18-08-08, 09:04
LOL, they consent before they die by signing a contract:)

You can sign up here to donate your body here!

http://www.bodymobil.de/en/body_donation/faq.html?edit#How

=O! Ew! I would never donate my body to do some freaky experiments on it! They will play with my guts! EW! How cruel :rolleyes:

digitizedboy
18-08-08, 09:05
Having my own remains on public display is good for my publicity, so I have nothing to say in objection to those humans who would wish to achieve immortality through this end.

That's a good way of thinking about it.

My own personal feelings towards these exhibits are that I don't really care for it, or neither does it disturb me. Its quite good though I suppose in the sense that it displays how certain lifestyles can affect the human body through time. Maybe it might scare some people enough to encourage themselves to take care of their bodies more better.

Lara Croft!
18-08-08, 17:22
Very interesting! It's so weird trying to think that underneath our skin it's all muscles, tissues and bones...

star-dust
18-08-08, 18:11
The human body is amazing...
I don't find how it is disturbing at all,
that is the human body and that is life.

There was a Body World Exhibit not too far from where I live, but I never got the chance to go. :(

Maybe oneday! :D

Thanks for sharing!

remote91
18-08-08, 18:20
My college had a free trip to the Manchester exhibit.

I didn't get picked to go..

jarhead
18-08-08, 18:22
Gunter creates the most educational material. Never thought we were that complex.

Nannonxyay
18-08-08, 18:23
I saw this on Johnathon Ross. Truly fascinating. But not something I'd like to see. Lol. Going to a Roman Mueseum and seeing skeletons was bad enough. *shudder*

Naomichi
18-08-08, 18:41
I actually have been to this, and it was truly facinating.

Almost as interesting as watching the variety of reactions from the other people there, raging from amusement to outright nausea and everything in between.

pEhouse
18-08-08, 19:02
This exhibition was also in Germany a few years ago, but it was very expensive and I heard you have to wait in line for several hours to get in, so I didn't go.

I don't see nothing wrong about this, it's actually quite good to learn about our bodies. When I'm dead I will donate my body and organs to science and people who need them more than me ;)

This reminds me of one German film, where they killed people(new students in the surgery uni, to be precise) to use for a purpose like this.

The movie you are referring to is called "Anatomie".