PDA

View Full Version : High School Musical - why the hate?

TR freak
18-08-08, 18:30
I absolutely love High School Musical. That's right, I'm an 18 year old male that loves High School Musical. When I tell my friends I like HSM they all just laugh at me. They say the only people that like it are little kids and 13 year old girls. I dont see how you cant love High School Musical. It's great fun and a really good film that has some really awesome songs in it. It's one of the few movies that truly makes me smile when I watch it and its one of the few films that makes me want to sing and dance along with it, whether someone else is in the room or not. In fact I'd go as far to say it's my favourite musical of all time. Cant wait for HSM3.

Is it wrong for someone my age and sex to enjoy High School Musical? According to everyone I've spoken to about it, it is. Are there any High School Musical fans on here? I'm guessing yes, but I wonder how many of you are men around my age. Whats so bad about cheesy fun music nowdays?

Naomichi
18-08-08, 18:34
I can get that YOU like it.

But it's when you say 'I dont see how you cant love High School Musical.' that you lose me.

I sat through it at the behest of a niece of mine, and by the end I was eyeing the remote control and wondering if I could choke myself to death with it.

However, I pretty sure I watch stuff you'd hate, so to each their own.

Tina Croft
18-08-08, 18:35
i hate it, it's sorta *** and annoying :mad:

Angelus
18-08-08, 18:36
It's what all the cool kids are doing nowadays.

TombRaiderLover
18-08-08, 18:36
The acting is incredibly bad - the delivery of lines is so forced and unrealistic, and Zac Efron looks like an idiot when he tries to look sad - and the songs are cringe-worthy. Still, at least it can be unintentionally hilarious sometimes.

:wve:

oocladableeblah
18-08-08, 18:41
It's a bunch of high schoolers dancing and singing making an idiot out of themselves. I'm going by the commercials btw, and it just doesn't interest me I don't care for musicals period. I'm sick of seeing it everywhere like Hannah Montana and it's just a way for Disney to cash in more money.

xMiSsCrOfTx
18-08-08, 18:48
Simple. One word - obnoxious.

It's funny when I compare movies and shows that were on Disney back when I was 10/11 and then look at things like HSM. The intelligence of the movies has clearly been dumbed down to an alarming level. Aside from the fact that I hate most musicals, this makes me hate them even more. I laughed out loud when I saw the trailer for HSM3 last week at the movie theater, particularly the scene where Vanessa Anne Hudgens' character stands up in the middle of the stands during Zac Efron's character's basketball game, spotlights hit her and she starts singing. It's unrealistic, it's corny, it's lame, those words just begin to describe the atrocity that is HSM. :rolleyes:

Of course, that's just my opinion. There's nothing wrong with liking HSM, I just don't see how anyone could. :s

touchthesky
18-08-08, 18:52
I like both HSM's and I will be going to see the third.

I don't LOVE it like a lot of people do but I can see why it appeals to kids, and to adults even (though some won't admit it.)

It's fun. It's musical. It's very DISNEY CHANNEL.

ajrich17901
18-08-08, 18:53
Acting is hurrendous and the songs are fairy boppin, enough said lmao

Wana b like Lara
18-08-08, 19:00
It's the constant outbreak to a song! And the weird throwing your arms in the air and bringing them down like the gravity's suddenly switched on! =/ Meh ...

It's has a weird storyline aswell .. like Troy? and Gabrielle? are constantly on and off! Blahh! It's just annoying!

Lew
18-08-08, 19:04

It's funny when I compare movies and shows that were on Disney back when I was 10/11 and then look at things like HSM. The intelligence of the movies has clearly been dumbed down to an alarming level. Aside from the fact that I hate most musicals, this makes me hate them even more. I laughed out loud when I saw the trailer for HSM3 last week at the movie theater, particularly the scene where Vanessa Anne Hudgens' character stands up in the middle of the stands during Zac Efron's character's basketball game, spotlights hit her and she starts singing. It's unrealistic, it's corny, it's lame, those words just begin to describe the atrocity that is HSM. :rolleyes:

Of course, that's just my opinion. There's nothing wrong with liking HSM, I just don't see how anyone could. :s

Agreeing! haha Yeah but seriously I think its aload of **** and so unrealistic, if people in High School got up and started singing we'd probably all weirdoes on drugs or something.

touchthesky
18-08-08, 19:06
It's Disney, of course it's unrealistic.

Nobody gets upset/annoyed about other Disney films being unrealistic.

Bambi
Lion King
Enchanted
Rescuers.

It's cool to hate HSM.

TR freak
18-08-08, 19:07
The acting isn't that bad. Definitely not the worst I've ever seen, not even close. It may be corny but corny isn't bad. I wasn't actually expecting to like HSM before I saw it. It looked pretty crappy but when I saw it I couldn't help but enjoy it. It has a great story and fantastic songs imo. I get why people wouldn't like it, I just dont get why it gets so much hate.

Candee Sparks
18-08-08, 19:13
Over-hyped. Obnoxious. 'Disney' acting.

High School does not need to be interpreted as a fun experience to the masses as if there's problems, no hardship or struggle and it completely creates a lie. It completely over-looks race, gender, sexuality and Disney had no right to create something like that and create a false reality for kids and I stand by that.

Nannonxyay

Bambi
Lion King
Enchanted
Rescuers.

It's cool to hate HSM.

I'm sorry, Vicky. You know I love you, but those films are meant to be unrealistic. They're cartoons. And Enchanted is a fantasy movie.

Over-hyped. Obnoxious. 'Disney' acting.

High School does not need to be interpreted as a fun experience to the masses as if there's problems, no hardship or struggle and it completely creates a lie. It completely over-looks race, gender, sexuality and Disney had no right to create something like that and create a false reality for kids and I stand by that.

:tmb: Agreed 110%. :D

Noodleboy

Bambi
Lion King
Enchanted
Rescuers.

It's cool to hate HSM.

That's because those movies are intended to be overly unrealistic. But since HSM is set in such realistic places, it just makes it very unrealistic that everybody bursts out into song when someone lets a fart :p

TR freak
18-08-08, 19:20
What about Grease? How realistic is Grease? Why does that not get hate? The acting is no better than HSM. They burst out into song in a high school all the time. Thats pretty unrealistic. In fact the actors are supposed to be playing teens yet they look like they are in their late 20s and 30s so its even more unrealistic than HSM. Grease is pretty corny as well yet it doesn't get hate. Why?

Survival
18-08-08, 19:24
What about Grease? How realistic is Grease? Why does that not get hate? The acting is no better than HSM. They burst out into song in a high school all the time. Thats pretty unrealistic. In fact the actors are supposed to be playing teens yet they look like they are in their late 20s and 30s so its even more unrealistic than HSM. Grease is pretty corny as well yet it doesn't get hate. Why?

Because Grease has good acting, direction and itīs script is not overly retarded? Not to mention it didnīt take itself seriously.

HSM has bunch of very bad actors, very very very bad direction and brain destroying script and of course is full of so called "cool" things for kids.

rickybazire
18-08-08, 19:30
I just hate it because of it's cheesy songs, rubbish acting and pretty much a similar storyline to many other American High School films except with uneccessary dancing and singing...

That's my thought...:D

TR freak
18-08-08, 19:31
Because Grease has good acting, direction and itīs script is not overly retarded?

HSM has bunch of very bad actors, very very very bad direction and brain destroying script and of course is full of so called "cool" things for kids.

HSM acting is not that bad. HSM's script is great imo. Grease's script is no better. Imagine if HSM was released back when Grease was released. I would bet money on it not getting anywhere near as much hate as it does now. Or lets put it another way. If Grease was released today instead of back then, I bet Grease would get the same hate HSM gets. I think it's just that nowadays its "cool" to hate ton cheesy stuff like HSM. Still despite the hate it gets, it also gets a lot of love and is very popular.

Lenochka
18-08-08, 19:37
Why is everyone comparing it to actual High School? Its a Disney movie lmfao, they can't make it realistic and add teenage pregnancy and drug dealers hanging about. Its got to be clean cut and catchy enough for the target audience to pay attention and they obviously must be doing something right due to the huge success and all the franchise has achieved in such a short period of time. The films aren't really made the older crowd which is why I usually laugh when older people rate it so harshly and get so worked up over it (Since thats obviously what all the cool kids are doing :p)... I mean come on, Its a ****ing kids movie xD

I myself don't really mind it, I have sat through both films and was a little interested (only because Ashley Tisdale is in it :3 ) but thats only because it was on Disney Channel which is free... I doubt I will be paying money to go see the 3rd one.

Jamie18
18-08-08, 19:37
I think for me because it partly represents the degradation of many forms of culture into something as mass-market as possible at the expense of any kind of cultural or artistic integrity.

I mean first off, you have the 'Disney movie' which is a blatant money-making exercise aimed at appealing to and manipulating kids in order to milk as much money out of them as possible, through the movie itself (which is cynically written, directed, acted, produced etc. etc. in order to hit all the right notes and appeal to as many people as possible), as well as merchandise (and I don't need the lecture on how everything is based on making money, I fully understand the intricacies of modern capitalist life, it doesn't mean I can't lament the sacrifice of artistic integrity).

Similarly, it also typifies the decline of the music industry, and how music is being cynically produced to again hit all the right notes (pun intended), packed full of hooks and engineered not through creative means, but in order to draw in the biggest possible audience. Along with Hannah Montana and the like, this has been a really disturbing trend over the past couple of decades and is in large part (IMHO) why the music industry is as depressing as it is now - when songs are written and marketed solely for maximum profit rather than any kind of love of the medium or desire to create good music.

On top of all this is: sequels. There is really no focus on any kind of over-arching meaningful storyline - like a lot of franchises in Hollywood, again in particular over the past couple of decades, this is simply a cash cow that will be milked until it is dry.

All of these factors have been present since basically pop culture as we know it has existed, however I believe the reason High School Musical is deemed so 'offensive' in some quarters is because it contains pretty much every example of these 'degradations of culture' possible, and in that sense completely typifies it.

Behind the cheery laid back mood it portrays is a seriously cynical and ruthless network of machinery that is designed to manipulate as much money out of people as possible, through as many means as possible, and in that sense the franchise has been successful beyond probably anyone's wildest dreams.

However, in saying all that, in all seriousness - if you really love the movie, then that's your decision, and I don't think you should be hassled about that, because we all get different things out of different places, and just because something was created cynically doesn't mean that people can't get some element of happiness out of it, as I guess you are testament to.

Mad Tony
18-08-08, 19:40
I dont see how you cant love High School Musical. Well you see, there's this thing called opinions and somebody else's opinion may not neccessarily be the same as yours. The reason HSM gets so much hate is because a lot of people don't like it, me being one of them.

TR freak
18-08-08, 19:47
Well you see, there's this thing called opinions and somebody else's opinion may not neccessarily be the same as yours. The reason HSM gets so much hate is because a lot of people don't like it, me being one of them.

This was just a way of me expressing how much I like it. I wasn't being literal. I figured people would get that. Apparently not. Apologies for the misinterpretation I caused.

AmericanAssassin
18-08-08, 19:47
I actually kind of like HSM. I find them to be quite entertaining. (Hannah Montana is another story. Yuck!) :D

TR freak
18-08-08, 19:59
Jamie18 I'll reply to that when my PC is free. Im using my wii to type this btw. Americanassassin I dont like Hannah Montana either btw.

TR93
18-08-08, 20:01
I don't like the movies of HSM, the songs are just so cheesey,
I really don't like the acting,Zac Efron wasn't bad, but it's just another love story with songs, and with bad lyrics aswell;)

marla_singer
18-08-08, 21:01

Y'know, I think Grease is a very realistic story if you take out the song bursts and made the cast look a lil' younger :p

erosan
18-08-08, 21:04
why the hate? Because some people straight out hate it.

Tombcool
18-08-08, 21:06
What ticks me off is that at my school people think that HSM has way more creativity and "artistic value" than Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera, which is disgusting. :cen:

Lara's home
18-08-08, 21:08
Bad actors, annoying songs, terrible script and annoying plot.

ThatNorskChick
18-08-08, 21:19
I don't like it...at all.

It was made for the Disney channel, and that's fine. It was good...for the Disney channel and it should be left there. I cannot for the life of me, understand how it became so huge.

Musically, I don't find it to be that amazing. All the songs sounded exactly like the rest of the droning Disney channel songs. I also hate the way they are coached to sing....their voices make me cringe. I'm sure that if they were coached properly, they might actually sound good, but that's not the case here.

The acting isn't awful, but I did find the script to be....blah, but like I said, it was made for the Disney channel. It doesn't have to be an A+ , movie. :p

TR freak
18-08-08, 22:11
I don't like it...at all.

It was made for the Disney channel, and that's fine. It was good...for the Disney channel and it should be left there. I cannot for the life of me, understand how it became so huge.

Musically, I don't find it to be that amazing. All the songs sounded exactly like the rest of the droning Disney channel songs. I also hate the way they are coached to sing....their voices make me cringe. I'm sure that if they were coached properly, they might actually sound good, but that's not the case here.

The acting isn't awful, but I did find the script to be....blah, but like I said, it was made for the Disney channel. It doesn't have to be an A+ , movie. :p

Yes it does. If it's Disney then I expect an A+ movie. Most disney films are imo and thats exactly what I think of HSM. Not so much with HSM2 though. HSM2 was ok but nowhere near as good as the first. I guess I'm just a little kid at heart. I love disney.

ThatNorskChick
18-08-08, 22:21
Yes it does. If it's Disney then I expect an A+ movie.

What I was saying is that it wasn't a major film. It was never in the theatre....it was a made for TV movie.

By the way, I do like Disney movies.

TR freak
18-08-08, 22:29
Jamie18, as for the decline in the music industry I agree there's a decline. But I think its because of a serious lack of the kind of music thats in high school musical. Last year on the X factor the biggest breath of fresh air was Same Difference. Same Difference were absolutely fantastic and I think they should have won. There aren't enough singers like them nowdays. They were just really fun to watch and listen to. Fun is the big word here. They are fun. Thats something I miss from the music industry. I miss the time when cheesy pop was big. I miss groups like S club 7 and Steps. Thats just my personal preference. Same Difference made me smile and made me want to get up and dance and sing along. I'll be getting Same Difference's album when it comes out. The same thing goes for HSM for me. HSM is fun to me just like Same Difference were at the X factor last year.

ThatNorskChick, its true it was for the disney channel and not the big screen but I still think it's as good as any disney movie that was on the big screen. Is it my favourite disney movie ever? Well it's definitely one of them. Just my preference. I get why people dont like HSM. It just annoys me when I get laughed at and taken the **** out of just because I like it.

dcw123
18-08-08, 22:56
OK... I'm 17 and love Alvin and the Chipmunks, but at least their songs and 'acting' made them famous for over 50 years and over 20 albums lol:D
HSM though, had BAD of both acting and singing skills...no offence

Oh and heres proof of how famous the singins trio really are..(even if the site aint da best) LOOK @ ALL THEIR ALBUMS!:ton: And several grammys too:p
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_and_the_Chipmunks

remote91
18-08-08, 22:57
Not everyone can like everything, especially when that thing is paraded around everywhere and has brain washed the minds of kids across the globe.

oocladableeblah
18-08-08, 22:58
OK... I'm 17 and love Alvin and the Chipmunks, but at least their songs and 'acting' made them famous for over 50 years and over 20 albums lol:D
HSM though, had BAD of both acting and singing skills...no offence

Oh and heres proof of how famous the singins trio really are..(even if the site aint da best) LOOK @ ALL THEIR ALBUMS!:ton: And several grammys too:p
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvin_and_the_Chipmunks
I love their christmas song it's just awesome.

TR freak
18-08-08, 23:02
Not everyone can like everything, especially when that thing is paraded around everywhere and has brain washed the minds of kids across the globe.

How so? Kids are brainwashed because they enjoy High School Musical?

peeves
18-08-08, 23:05
Well I wondered why #3 was called senior year but #2 wasn't called Junior year I don't get it?:confused:

remote91
18-08-08, 23:14
How so? Kids are brainwashed because they enjoy High School Musical?
Kids are having this High School Musical stuff rammed down their throats. Movies, CD's, dolls, toys, video games, clothes, backpacks..

Frankly it's hard not to get ****ed off when it is everywhere you go.

violentblossom
18-08-08, 23:16
Kids are having this High School Musical stuff rammed down their throats. Movies, CD's, dolls, toys, video games, clothes, backpacks..

yeh.

i agree.. never even seen it, and it annoys the everloving hell out of me.

TR freak
18-08-08, 23:29

Thats what happens when somethings popular with kids. If its popular then lots of merchandise will be made out of the name. It happens with every kids show thats popular. Its the way the world works. That doesn't explain why it should get hated on so much. If you dont like it ignore any HSM products. You'll find there's CDs, dolls, games, clothes, backpacks and things of just about every kids show on TV. Should every kids TV show get hated on for this?

Encore
18-08-08, 23:33

I can... If they're kids. I personally don't hold this type of grudge other people do, against it, 'cause I just see it as something for the kids and pre-teens to enjoy. When I was 12 I liked Dragon Ball... There were all sorts of merchandise for that too and I liked it. So what? I didn't grow up dumb and kicking people around because of it..

18 years old and liking it, well, I must say it's a first. I worked at a video store and the only people who rented this movie was girls between 12-14.

ThatNorskChick
18-08-08, 23:55
Yeah, I understand kids liking it. My sister (who is 12) loves it...well, she loves the Disney channel in general. Perhaps that's partially what's fueling my hate for it...I have to listen to it everyday. :p

I know a lot of people my age who like it (19 year olds). When I was still in high school, they did the play at my school. I couldn't understand that.

Legend 4ever
19-08-08, 00:03
I absolutely love High School Musical. That's right, I'm an 18 year old male that loves High School Musical. When I tell my friends I like HSM they all just laugh at me. They say the only people that like it are little kids and 13 year old girls. I dont see how you cant love High School Musical. It's great fun and a really good film that has some really awesome songs in it. It's one of the few movies that truly makes me smile when I watch it and its one of the few films that makes me want to sing and dance along with it, whether someone else is in the room or not. In fact I'd go as far to say it's my favourite musical of all time. Cant wait for HSM3.

Is it wrong for someone my age and sex to enjoy High School Musical? According to everyone I've spoken to about it, it is. Are there any High School Musical fans on here? I'm guessing yes, but I wonder how many of you are men around my age. Whats so bad about cheesy fun music nowdays?
I love HSM.:jmp: Ashley Tisdale is a goddess and Vanessa is OK. HSM is fun to watch to me, really.

EmeraldFields
19-08-08, 02:14

Testify Sista!:D

Death Mask
19-08-08, 03:30
IMO High School Musical is garbage.
http://bestsmileys.com/rude/3.gif

Benguitar
19-08-08, 03:38
It's what all the cool kids are doing nowadays.

From ages 5 to 10..