PDA

View Full Version : PS3 HDD swapping...

Genocide
19-08-08, 15:06
Righty folks, I want to swap my PS3's HDD but i know sod all about what drive to replace it with, so if you would be so kind to tell me which drive specs would be best suited for the job and where i could get one from
I live in the UK by the way
Thanks

LegenDarY
19-08-08, 15:41
Excellent thread, cause I've been wanting to do the same for some time, but like you I know 0 about HDD's and which one will work for the PS3.

Even if I knew which one to buy, I wouldn't even know how to replace it, but that shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

oocladableeblah
19-08-08, 15:41
I was watching this video that showed you how to switch it and they were using a laptop hdd. So I guess you could use one of those. They tell you what type of drive and step by step on how to replace it.
Edit- Here is the video http://reviews.cnet.com/Upgrade_a_PS3_hard_drive/4660-10165_7-6766756.html

toxicraider
19-08-08, 15:45
2.5 inch SATA internal.

either 5400 or 7200 rpm, it won't make much difference.
it should say in the safety and support handbook with your ps3
Maplins sell them cheap but you can also buy them online

thanatos
19-08-08, 15:48
You use a laptop serial ATA hard drive. Changing it is incredibly simple, you take out one screw and the old HDD pulls out and then you just slot the new one in.

EDIT: nevermind, beaten to it ^^

Genocide
19-08-08, 15:58
ok, thanks alot, much aprreciated :)

Agent Dee
20-08-08, 03:19
and the best part of the HDD swap you only loose the game saves. all the settings and any changes like the background image, clock/date settings are stored on the console not the HDD.

Genocide
20-08-08, 12:53
Nope, I won't even lose them, I store all my gamesaves on our lasses external drive... but she complains about it which is why i want a bigger PS3 drive

Agent Dee
21-08-08, 01:39
Nope, I won't even lose them, I store all my gamesaves on our lasses external drive... but she complains about it which is why i want a bigger PS3 drive

wait, you can save games to an external HD? if so that is so cool!

Genocide
21-08-08, 01:54
Yes you can, just plug in your drive, bring up the side menu and click copy and it will transfer to the ex HD, and vice versa

Agent Dee
21-08-08, 21:53
Yes you can, just plug in your drive, bring up the side menu and click copy and it will transfer to the ex HD, and vice versa

neat, now if i ever get a bigger capacity HD drive i can transfer my saves to my external drive for my PC and then transfer them to the bigger HD :jmp: