PDA

View Full Version : Apophis: The Meteor

TombRaiderTim
19-08-08, 20:45
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2005/12/07/comet256.jpg

It is unpredictable wheather this is true or not but this meteor may spell D.I.S.A.S.T.E.R to the human race in the coming 21 years from now.

But in any case, it can really **** people up huh? If this is my fate and no one can change the orbit of the meteor, then so be it cause we cannot do a thing about it if it all fails can we?

Share Your Thoughts

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2005/dec/07/spaceexploration.research

dizzydoil
19-08-08, 20:53
The percentage of this hitting the earth is very low. Although, scientists are sending a space ship or something to nudge it onto another course, just INCASE it doesnt pass Earth, and hit it. :p

Interesting subject.. I love everything like this. :tmb:

stereopathic
19-08-08, 20:54
well, now... that sucks.

it's seems like it's pretty unlikely that it will happen. the article reads like, "in the unlikely even that -blah- happens, then that could cause -blah- to happen which could kill us all."

i guess if the right people are monitoring it and technology is being put into place to deflect it, then we should be okay. no use worrying about it now.

on the other hand, can we have a big vote to see who has to stand right at the impact site? i can think of a couple people i'd like to see smacked with a 390km-wide asteroid. :D

tombraider123
19-08-08, 20:54
These stories never scare me anymore, because I'm sure there is a new threat everyday yet nothing EVER happens.

dizzydoil
19-08-08, 20:55
These stories never scare me anymore, because I'm sure there is a new threat everyday yet nothing EVER happens.

Things happen all the time :tmb: Just not world-wide disasters or end-of-the world scenarios. :p

stereopathic
19-08-08, 20:57
and aren't we only tracking something like 20% of the asteroids in our solar system? we might all die in a fiery explosion before Apophis here ever gets his dirty paws on us. :D

tombraider123
19-08-08, 20:59
I don't think it will be an asteroid that will be the end of the world, I think it will be our fault like WW3 or something.

Things happen all the time :tmb: Just not world-wide disasters or end-of-the world scenarios. :p

While I have been alive I am sure there has not been an asteroid hit the earth, yet I always hear stories "We will be hit in 2 years" and never have been. There was apparently a big chance of one hitting us on June 21st I'm sure, yet we are still here.

I really don't think we have anything to worry about.

Drone
19-08-08, 21:01
woohoo nice thingy!

Dakaruch
19-08-08, 21:01
Once more we are victims of the media alarmists. We don't have to constantly live with the fear of being hit by a meteor. Earth is hit by meteors everyday, and yet it never caused us all to death. Why? Most of those meteors are disintegrated on Earth's atmosphere, and divide into small pieces, others hit the Oceans, and others hit the actual surface of the Earth, and leaves a crater.
This is a far bigger meteor, although it is very easy for a meteor to change it's course. Meteors are not like a planet, they don't have a constant orbit, a constant route, they suffer route alterations.
And in 21 years lot's of things can be developed. Even a missile system to destroy the meteor, far before it beginning to be a threat! :p

MrBear
19-08-08, 21:02
I don't think it will be an asteroid that will be the end of the world, I think it will be our fault like WW3 or something.

I'm pretty sure there won't be a WW3 :) the world has become too intertwined.. But like you said in your first post, I'm not scared about meteors either..

Only one thing to say to the thought of sudden death: carpe diem.

xxitsxnadyaxx
19-08-08, 21:30
i remember hearing something about this.
i believe they said that it'll come very close to hitting earth [closer than our satellites] but will not hit us and simply pass by. on the day that this happens everyone should be outside watching this!!!
anyway
once it passes it'll get sucked into one of the orbits which will make it change it's course and a few years after later it'll be on another collision with earth and THAT'S when scientists will use those magnetic instruments/spaceship thingies to get it out of the way for us.

patriots88888
19-08-08, 21:30
"While people worry about the risks of flying or bird flu, an asteroid strike is far more likely."

I do not agree with this. The context of it is unclear also. Far more likely in what respect? That I will see one in my time on Earth or that one will happen at any random time of Earth's existence?

Very misleading way to start off the article. No worries from me. What is to be, will be. :)

irjudd
19-08-08, 21:33
It is unpredictable wheather this is true or not but this meteor may spell D.I.S.A.S.T.E.R to the human race in the coming 21 years from now.Is this an acronym or are you just trying to be cute?

Shrantellatessa
19-08-08, 21:49
That looks cool :yah:

stereopathic
19-08-08, 21:57
i'm selling my hybrid and buying a monster truck! no need to worry about oil or pollution anymore! :p

Titanium
19-08-08, 21:58
Sheesh, why do so many people love to predict when we die?

Meteors, Global Warming, Alien invaisions, Justins penguin invaision etc.

Shrantellatessa
19-08-08, 22:06
Sheesh, why do so many people love to predict when we die?

Meteors, Global Warming, Alien invaisions, Justins penguin invaision etc.

:vlol: :vlol:

Nausinous
19-08-08, 23:49
Death is coming at some point in your life no point worrying when.

tranniversary119
19-08-08, 23:59
Eh ya know what I'm not letting it bother me. The media tends to hype things up I remember when the bird flu was supposed to hit America..never did. I'll use that old saying everybody uses, "you're world could end any day."

Dakaruch
20-08-08, 00:01
Oh, and look on the positive side, if you're hit by a gigantic meteor, you will probably have a painless death! :) :p

Tihocan9
20-08-08, 02:10
I am sure I heard that this was disproved. And really why worry about it, for one, it is years away and really at the moment nothing can be done about it, and secondly not really many people can do much about it so if it is going to come and hit us then we can either scream and swarm in mass chaos like ants or we can work together to find a solution and prove to ourselves that the human species is but one race and we can united in times of crisis...ok I went a little bit over board but you get my point..just live your life and stop worrying about death so much because if you think about death your entire life all you will do in death is regret that you missed out on life.

rowanlim
20-08-08, 02:13
Interesting article. I personally am not that worried. Death lurks in every corner, you could be gone in an instant. I try not to worry so much :)

Immortalis08
20-08-08, 03:17
If my fears are right (which i pray to God aren't), I may be dead long before that. So have fun you guys! :wve:

That aside, it will be interesting to see where this meteor will end up.

Melonie Tomb Raider
20-08-08, 05:11
Apoffis! :mad:

LOL! jk :p

Drone
20-08-08, 09:39
maybe it'll fall in los alamos and set natla free?

Draco
20-08-08, 15:07
I'm sure by the time it comes for Apophis to show up, we won't even remember or care that he will.

interstellardave
20-08-08, 15:23
I like to imagine what kinds of creatures will exist after the next great extinction...

If 70-90 percent of species are rendered extinct what forms will develop to fill all the evolutionary niches that are left empty? It's fun to imagine the kinds of fantastic creatures that may be around thousands or millions of years from now.

Nannonxyay
20-08-08, 15:28
Oh ****. We need to build an underground base so the human race can reproduce. Beautiful people only, naturally. :p

Nah, I agree with everyone here. It's highly doubtful.

Melonie Tomb Raider
20-08-08, 15:37
maybe it'll fall in los alamos and set natla free?

:vlol: :vlol: :vlol:

Zelda master
20-08-08, 17:29
Well if it does happen we atleast get to see a nice lightshow:)