PDA

View Full Version : GCSE Results 2008!

Chocolate
20-08-08, 12:36
I don't think anyone has been discussing it here lately...I know that from my search results there are some outdated GCSE threads, but it's no good reviving threads that already have many posts!

Anyway, just to explain to non UK residents, GCSEs are exams in which some of us make a huge deal out of and some of us don't. But basically it's the final exam of finishing highschool (we call it secondary school).

So, who else here is waiting for the dreaded day? How many of you revised and studied? Do you think you'll do well? What grades are you expecting? Are your teachers and parents expecting you to get straight A's for every single subject? What do you want to do after getting your results?

Right now I feel like I'm the only one asking these questions to myself, so I hope SOMEONE out there on the forums is also there to understand! And should there be any other members waiting for their results, you can obviously post them here once you get them.

Nausinous
20-08-08, 12:38
I'm well past my GCSE days but I remember going to get mine, I got three B's :D

Voni
20-08-08, 12:39
I remember doing my GCSEs and it was a bloody nightmare, I wish everyone who did them good luck!

Bonez
20-08-08, 12:40
I'm crapping myself for tomorrow. :( I hate thinking about it. :(

stranger1992
20-08-08, 12:40
oh god its tommorow! I'm really nervous right no because if I don't get 4 A*-C grades then I cannot get into college to do a "BTEC National Diploma: E-media and games devlopment" which I really have my heart set upon to go to.

I just hope that my mock exam results are close to the real thing. I got ok grades in my mocks (C's and B's mainly).

Good luck everyone! Whatever happens: TRF still loves you ;):):D

Chocolate
20-08-08, 12:43
I'm crapping myself for tomorrow. :( I hate thinking about it. :(

oh god its tommorow! I'm really nervous right no because if I don't get 4 A*-C grades then I cannot get into college to do a "BTEC National Diploma: E-media and games devlopment" which I really have my heart set upon to go to.
Oh, so someone out there DOES understand the worries of waiting! :(
I'm worried because my school has set standards for me to get all A's and stuff - I only need a B grade for English, Maths and Science to do the A-levels I want. But even so I have parents who want me to get straight A's! :(

But thanks for your words of wisdom, everyone! :hug: I feel better already!

Voni
20-08-08, 12:43
Good luck everyone! Whatever happens: TRF still loves you ;):):D

That's good to know! :p

Honestly guys, don't panic too much over your grades. I know the schools tend to talk them up AS THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS YOU'LL EVER DO SO FOR GOD'S SAKE DON'T SCREW THEM UP, but it's really not that bad. Yes, they're important, but as long as you can say to yourself that you tried your best, you're not going to have any problems.

And if they aren't as good as you are hoping, well, that's why the great Education Overlords invented resits! :D

Chocolate
20-08-08, 12:45
The thing about resits is that I don't think all Universities will accept those who DO decide to retake GCSEs. I want to go into Medicine, and as far as I'm concerned you need all A's the first time you do things until you get there. Oh gosh, I'm starting to dread the letter A just by typing it! :p

Voni
20-08-08, 12:53
The thing about resits is that I don't think all Universities will accept those who DO decide to retake GCSEs. I want to go into Medicine, and as far as I'm concerned you need all A's the first time you do things until you get there. Oh gosh, I'm starting to dread the letter A just by typing it! :p

So no pressure then? Bloody hell.

stranger1992
20-08-08, 12:59
With all these high grades we've been expected, who's finding it bloomin hard to find a part time job? grrr

This thread will turn into a happy thread hopefully tommorow!

Titanium
20-08-08, 13:01
With all these high grades we've been expected, who's finding it bloomin hard to find a part time job? grrr

Sadly with the current conditions of the UK business area. Getting a job will be pretty hard, best place to ask will be in small privately owned shops, or the massive superstores.

Bonez
20-08-08, 13:07
Sadly with the current conditions of the UK business area. Getting a job will be pretty hard, best place to ask will be in small privately owned shops, or the massive superstores.

Yeah, I'm glad I got one a few months ago. I have friends who seem to be struggling to get one at the moment.

Argh... I really don't want tomorrow to come. :( I hope I get an A in something. And A* in Music or Geography would be awesome! But I'm doubtful. I'll be so nervous when opening them tomorrow.

Are you all opening them with your friends at school, or on your own?

Chocolate
20-08-08, 13:10
I'm opening them as soon as I get them at school, so with my friends it is.

But you know, I've had a lot of nightmares about opening my GCSE results only to find the most awful grades. :D Maybe I'm just subconciously paranoid about it, but is anyone else having this as well?

stranger1992
20-08-08, 13:21
Interesting question, because i have no idea. We have to go to school to get them but I'm tempted to go earlier then everyone (everyone going at 11 though they are there from 9am) and open them in my own time, in my own mind if you catch my drift.

As far as exams go i think i buggered mine up. I'll take English for this one. My coursework was all A* or A (darn Romeo and Juliet!) which puts me high anyway in English. However, I think I went to pieces during the exam. Not that I couldn't do it mind. It was down to the pressure of it all. I dislike pressure and I feel thats what may of put me down.

The R.E exam was a load of :cen: because of the sheer amount of writing involed! The same with the citizenship exam

Music GCSE was cool. It had Harry Potter 5 music for question 1 and I felt I did okay. I played a Grade 6 piece (name has escaped me now!) on the Violin and it was marked as an A apprently according to my teacher.

ICT (DIDA) will be funny for me. I was only ever doing "CIDA" which is unit 1 and any other unit. However, 'she' told me she'd enter me for DIDa which is incorrect I never did that! So, I can expect: 1 Distinction and 1 Pass yeah...ICT coursework+exams=:cen:

Maths will be funny also. I did the higher tier papers and on the non calc I found it so easy it was unbelieveable. However, we had only 2.5 weeks to do BOTH pieces of Maths coursework. Our maths teacher spontaenously human combusted left and the head of Maths assumed we'd all done the coursework. It wasn't untill he put down his Whisky bottle that he saw we had'nt.

Science (single science for me) is my only concrete subject. I know I'm getting a B but if my last module test was 'that' good then I could get an A.

Graphic products was the biggest joke ever. The teachers were fabulous but...the department wasn't. It had no money sadly. All the money seems to be going to the music department. HOw on earth do they keep being able to buy new stuff constantly while the DT department are struggling to buy a dye sublimination kit? I got a D in the coursework and I sat the foundation tier. That was too easy for me so I hope I get a C in Graphics.

Art is going to be a bit funny. As much as I did the work I did not enjoy it. I can draw and express myself through Art fine but when it comes to being told what I have to draw then...me being rebblious me, didn't. I'll be lucky for a C in Art.

:o

But you know, I've had a lot of nightmares about opening my GCSE results only to find the most awful grades. :D Maybe I'm just subconciously paranoid about it, but is anyone else having this as well?

OMG it was yesterday morning. I just imagined a single piece of paper with the grades and subjects listed in black with really poor grades!

remote91
20-08-08, 13:23
Good luck everyone :D

You're an intelligent bunch, you'll be fine :)

Titanium
20-08-08, 13:24
You're an intelligent bunch, you'll be fine :)

Definately way more intelligent then me. :p

Angelus
20-08-08, 13:36
Good luck to everyone! :tmb: It's not the worst thing in the world if you don't pass everything, because there are a lot of options for you to take.

Voni
20-08-08, 13:40
If it makes any of you lot feel better, I'll relate this story from when I did my GCSEs.

I was doing my English exam, which I had an hour and a half for. I'd been given a choice of three essay questions, so I picked one and scribbled merrily away. I finished half an hour early, so I had a flip through it for 15 minutes or so to check it over, and then I was done. With a few minutes to spare, I was flicking through the question paper, and guess what I found out?

I missed another essay question out.

It was a two part paper. I'd chosen my question for part one, but then totally forgotten about part 2. I walked out when it was over thinking I'd totally blown it, but when I got my results I found out I'd still managed a C (and a high C at that). So the message is there's hope for everyone!

AnthonyShock1515
20-08-08, 13:49
I'm picking them up tomorrow too.

I'm quite scared but I'm trying my best not to think about it and tell myself that they are not that much of a big deal.

Is anybody staying in Further Education after they get them?:)

Naz2000
20-08-08, 13:59
I should get my Maths GCSE results 5 days before I go back to school, they are the ones I did throught Year 10.

Bonez
20-08-08, 14:18
Is anybody staying in Further Education after they get them?:)

I'm hoping to go to Sixth Form. :D Studyin Music, English Lang, History and Geography.

What about you?

stranger1992
20-08-08, 14:19
College for me :D

When i applied for 6th form i picked the same things as you Bonez :)

Angelus
20-08-08, 17:16
I'm already in Sixth Form, and it's great. :tmb:

corey01
20-08-08, 17:39
AHHH im really nervous!! ive done well in most of my coursework, but i mucked up lots of my exams.. i really hope ive done well :confused:

Forwen
20-08-08, 17:42
But basically it's the final exam of finishing highschool (we call it secondary school).

I thought that was A Levels?

jarhead
20-08-08, 17:50
I'm sure you will all be fine, usually if you think you didnt do brilliantly generally means you did ok.

Plus local colleges usually except most students so long as you arn't a trouble maker, thats what my friends found out.

Lew
20-08-08, 17:52
I'm absolutly ****ting it, if I don't get 5 Cs and above then i cant do A levels :( so that means ill be in college for 3 years instead of 2.

Lara Croft Fan Joe
20-08-08, 17:52
I feel sick, I'm getting my results tommorrow :(

Chocolate
20-08-08, 18:48
That's College/Sixth Form, and that's what most people do after GCSEs. ;)

jackali
20-08-08, 18:49

A levels aren't compulsory, but the GCSEs are. Of course, you now need to stay in full time education until you're eighteen, meaning that some sort of further education after the GCSEs is obligatory, but they don't have to be A Levels. Back in my day though, leaving at sixteen and finishing after GCSEs was an option, not one I took, but it was there. :p

AnthonyShock1515
20-08-08, 18:57
AHHH im really nervous!! ive done well in most of my coursework, but i mucked up lots of my exams.. i really hope ive done well :confused:

Mine is vice versa lol. I didn't do my best in coursework but I worker my arse fof for exams and felt pretty confident about them afterwards. So I don't know how things are gonna work out tomorrow.

As for my options, I'm taking Chemistry, Biology, English Language, German and Art.:) Pretty excited to start them because I just love those subjects and I get to do them everyday without doing subjects I don't like (namely Mathas and History.):D

corey01
20-08-08, 19:07
Mine is vice versa lol. I didn't do my best in coursework but I worker my arse fof for exams and felt pretty confident about them afterwards. So I don't know how things are gonna work out tomorrow.

As for my options, I'm taking Chemistry, Biology, English Language, German and Art.:) Pretty excited to start them because I just love those subjects and I get to do them everyday without doing subjects I don't like (namely Mathas and History.):D

Cool, im hoping to do Art, english language and maybe geography

Jo269976
21-08-08, 01:12
Good luck everyone if you still haven't recieved them. We got ours on the 5th of August (Scotland) and trust me, you think you've done a lot worse than you actually have, your imagination will get the better of you until that piece of paper is in your hands :)

Bonez
21-08-08, 06:43
The day has arrived XD Ahhh!

Voni
21-08-08, 07:16
GOOD LUCK EVERYONE!

*crosses fingers*

corey01
21-08-08, 07:28
Im aiming to be in shool around 10ish....AHHH! ive never been so scared in my life!!

stranger1992
21-08-08, 07:42
:jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp::jmp: :jmp::jmp::jmp:

Todays the day!

(using smileys to cover up terror Daniel...really?!)

scion05
21-08-08, 07:48
Im scared too, and it's only my first half :( But I can always resit :D

Lara Croft Fan Joe
21-08-08, 07:52
:vlol: In around and hour a dissapointed look will appear on my face

Bonez
21-08-08, 08:07
I'm going to school in 20 minutes! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

I'm really nervous... and watching people open theirs live on GMTV didn't help. :(

stranger1992
21-08-08, 09:32
Eeek leaving now! OMG so nervous!

Bonez
21-08-08, 09:40
Got my results. I am happy with some and disapointed with others.

I got 2 Ds aswell. :( But atleast it doesn't affect the subjetcs I'm doing next year.. and I got into Sixth Form.

ClareT
21-08-08, 10:21
Good luck to everyone who hasn't opened their's yet, and well done to anyone who has =]

stranger1992
21-08-08, 10:44
:(:(:(:( I wanna die!

1-A*
1-B
4-C
1-D
2-E's
2 F's

:(

sjam_raider
21-08-08, 11:35
I did one of my GCSEs two years early (my french)
I got a B but was nine marks off of an A!! I'm really pleased!

stranger1992
21-08-08, 11:58
:( My life is actually over :(

marla_singer
21-08-08, 12:02

But you did really well!...don't you have enough passes to enroll at college/sixth form?

findme
21-08-08, 12:11
:(:(:(:( I wanna die!

1-A*
1-B
4-C
1-D
2-E's
2 F's

:(

better than mine last year. They're really good actually, at least you have your 5 C's or above

stranger1992
21-08-08, 12:13
well i feel bad. The laughs i got from my brother :( Because of my grade in Art.

He rang me from work (PCworld). I told him I got an A* in ICT and he said "okay" then i told him what i got in Art and he laughed his face off calling me stupid and pathetic :(

jackali
21-08-08, 12:13

You've got more than 5 A*s-Cs, isn't that enough to get in? Anyway, a D is still a pass, it's not counted in requirements for getting into sixth form, but it's still a pass.

marla_singer
21-08-08, 12:14
well i feel bad. The laughs i got from my brother :( Because of my grade in Art.

What was your grade in Art?

I remember I only got a C, but that was coz I didn't answer the question at all. I hate drawing things that I HAVE to if you get me :p

So, you'll still get to college?

scion05
21-08-08, 12:19
Well, I'm in Year 10, so I've only got my modulars

Science P1 : B
Science P2 : B
Science Ideas : A
Maths : B ( 2 marks off an A! )
RE : B

Im gonna resit those sciences, so it will hopefully go AAA :D

jackali

In the grand scheme of things... does it really matter what he thinks? Not really. What matters is that you passed, you got through your GCSEs and you're still alive. :p

If he laughs at you for getting through your GCSEs without at least twelve mental breakdowns then there's something wrong with him. It's an achievement to get through them at all.

stranger1992
I got an E in Art:

1-A*<<ICT unit 1 (computers ;))
1-B<<English Language
4-C<<Maths,English Literature ,Music (grr), Science
_______________________The Pass/Fail line ___________________________________________
1-D<<C.T (politics)
2-E's<<Art and graphics
2 F's<<R.E, ICT unit 2 (lol)

I have got into college but i really feel bad because he way my brother laughed his face off. He actually put me on speakerphone to his staffroom!

scion05
21-08-08, 12:21
I got an E in Art:

1-B<<English Language
_______________________The Pass/Fail line ___________________________________________
1-D<<C.T (politics)
2-E's<<Art and graphics

I have got into college but i really feel bad because he way my brother laughed his face off. He actually put me on speakerphone to his staffroom!

A D is a pass, just not for sixth forms :wve:

Dark Lugia 2
21-08-08, 12:22
Wrong thread :p

Haha XD :o

God luck to all gcse students btw. You'll be fine :p

stranger1992
21-08-08, 12:23
I've got into college because i needed 4 A*-C's and I got 6. I'm going to an advice day tomorrow to talk to them about what i'm doing.

I just feel so bad because my brother has been so mean to me on the phone and he is always comparing stupid stuff on me. Now he has something that is concrete and evident that he will not let me escape from :(

findme
21-08-08, 12:23
I got an E in Art:

1-B<<English Language
1-D<<C.T (politics)
2-E's<<Art and graphics

At least you done well in science, I got double U's.

Chocolate
21-08-08, 12:26
I got an E in Art:

1-B<<English Language
1-D<<C.T (politics)
2-E's<<Art and graphics

I think you did well; don't let yourself down! I kinda know the feeling though; my parents are bashing me for getting one C in a subject. :D Anyway, my results...

English Language - A
English Literature - A*
Maths - A
Science - A, A
IT - A*, A*
Textiles - A
Religion - A*
Music - B
Spanish - C
Art: Merit (Which is about two B's)

It's ok. :p

Nannonxyay
21-08-08, 12:27
Bloody hell, Chocolate. You're an intelligent one, aren't you? :yik: Congratulations.

findme
21-08-08, 12:33
I think you did well; don't let yourself down! I kinda know the feeling though; my parents are bashing me for getting one C in a subject. :D Anyway, my results...

English Language - A
English Literature - A*
Maths - A
Science - A, A
IT - A*, A*
Textiles - A
Religion - A*
Music - B
Spanish - C
Art: Merit (Which is about two B's)

It's ok. :p

Holy crap well done.

jackali
21-08-08, 12:43
Congratulations Chocolate! Those are some solid grades there!

The thing I hated most about it back in the day was that all you've done to that moment was for the GCSEs, the most important exams in the world.

Then there's the A levels (or equivalent) and they're even more important, and make the GCSEs seem completely pointless, at the end of the day.

All that hard work for... nothing really. :p

Lavinder
21-08-08, 12:49
Level 2 pass in Adult Literacy (worth 1 GCSE)
Merit Level 1 Award in Digital Application (worth half a GCSE)

Art - A
English Lit - A
English - B
Maths - C
Religious Studies : Christianity - C, Sikhism - B, Media and Entertainment - C: Overall C
ICT - C
Additional Science - C
History - D
French - D
Science - E (I don't know where that came from =/ )

Even though they aren't the best results in the world, I'm still really happy with them seeing as I've done well in all the subjects I will need at college.

:jmp:

Chocolate
21-08-08, 12:56
Thanks guys...:o And well done Lavinder! You going to college too then, girl? :D
What subjects do you guys plan to take for A-levels then?

I want to do Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Media. I'm just happy I got decent grades to take on those subjects. :p

Angelus
21-08-08, 13:20
I got a C in my Science resit! A very good C, too. :jmp:

Congratulations to everyone! :D

corey01
21-08-08, 13:26
Just got back and iim really pleased:jmp: OK so its not as good as chocolate but come on hehehe

Art- B
English- C
English lit- B
Welsh- B
Welsh lit- C
geography- C
History- C
IT- C
R.E- C

Lets not discuss the D in maths haha

jamieoliver22
21-08-08, 13:28
Thanks guys...:o And well done Lavinder! You going to college too then, girl? :D
What subjects do you guys plan to take for A-levels then?

I want to do Biology, Chemistry, Maths and Media. I'm just happy I got decent grades to take on those subjects. :p

I'm taking English Literature, Art Design, Film/Media Studies and ICT - hopefully a photography course on the side :).

(Still Lavinder, only just noticed that Jamie logged back in)

remote91
21-08-08, 13:28
Congratulations everyone :D

stranger1992
21-08-08, 13:29
Wow well done Chocolate, Lavinder and everyone else. I've calmed down from my hysterics now. If its so bad then why can I get in college? I am going to a gcse results advice at my new college tomorrow to just talk to them a bit. Perhaps i may change my course and do a BTEC in Television production? Who knows? The world's our oyster.

Angelus
21-08-08, 13:33
Wow well done Chocolate, Lavinder and everyone else. I've calmed down from my hysterics now. If its so bad then why can I get in college? I am going to a gcse results advice at my new college tomorrow to just talk to them a bit. Perhaps i may change my course and do a BTEC in Television production? Who knows? The world's our oyster.

Exactly. You've got 5 A*-Cs and that's all you need. Good luck. :tmb:

Jacob x5
21-08-08, 13:38
Seven 'B's, four 'A's and an A*. Oh yes. :D

:p I'm so arrogant. XD

rickybazire
21-08-08, 13:40
IT - D
French - C
Religious Studies - C
Humanities - B
English Literature - B
English Language - B
Science - B
Additional Science - B
Resistent Materials - B
Geography - A
Maths - A
Music - A*

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Well done everyone else.

findme
21-08-08, 13:53

yer seriously you're more than fine. I only narrowly escaped not getting in college with 4 and a half GCSE

Chocolate
21-08-08, 14:12
Thanks guys, and well done to everyone else! ^__^

stranger1992, that's the spirit! You know that most people don't usually make it as far as college, so you should be super proud of yourself if you ask me! :hug:

You serious, findme? Based on everything I've seen you post on the forums, you seem like a very intelligent individual. But then again there are lots of clever people I know who don't necessary get good GCSE results, and some other silly people who do surprisingly good. Like me. o.o Well, at least you're in college. ;)

AnthonyShock1515
21-08-08, 14:28
I got mine this morning! Nerve-wracking t'was, but I had some pineapple juice to calm myself.

English Language - A
English Literature - A
Maths - C
Biology - A
Chemistry - A
Physics - B
History - A
German - B
Art - A
Business Studies - A
Food Tech - A*

I'm very happy with them! I couldn't have wished for better. The only one I'm disappointed with was German, it was my best subject and I was predicted an A but baaah, it's still a pass. I'm mostly chuffed about History! I was predicted a D for it and my coursework was naff.:p

The atmosphere in school was absoloutely horrible! There were a lot of people who were upset from failing and that so I got my results and left ASAP. Then I sat on a nice quiet bench, in the park, alone, and read my results.:)

Gianni Bartoli
21-08-08, 15:18
A* for English!!!!! w0000000000000t!!!!11!!1!11111!!

Don't ask me about my other grades. :o

petujaymz
21-08-08, 15:25
Don't get too excited guys.

Five years down the line half of you will be working in call centres or for gay quangos like the Boundary Commission for Scotland and the British Potato Council.

EDIT - Do not, I repeat, DO NOT listen to a school careers advisor.

They're soooo detatched from the real world. They're full of **** basically! XD

:wve:

-DEBUG
21-08-08, 15:26

Five years down the line half of you will be working in call centres or quangos like the Boundary Commission for Scotland and the British Potato Council.

:vlol:

Haha that's encouraging...

Media - C
German - C
English - C
English Lit - B
Graphics - C
Science - C
Additional Science - D (lol)
RE - D (lol)
Maths - C
AiDA - C
CiDA - C

Titanium
21-08-08, 15:28
Five years down the line half of you will be working in call centres or gay quangos like the Boundary Commission for Scotland and the British Potato Council.

Petu... never... EVER... diss the BPC!

marla_singer
21-08-08, 20:07

Five years down the line half of you will be working in call centres or for gay quangos like the Boundary Commission for Scotland and the British Potato Council.

:vlol: Four years down the line I am a call centre employee...

Just while I further my education/train though, phew :whi:

ClareT
21-08-08, 20:47
I got 4 A*s (French, English Lit, English Lang & Additional Science)
And 6 As (Maths, Business Studies, History, Core Science and ICT x2)

So I'm happy :D
No idea how I managed to pull it off.

Well done to everyone else as well. I'm just glad they're over with.

Titanium
21-08-08, 21:52
Congratulations to everyone. :tmb:

If you didnt do so well as hoped, dont worry about it. Most colleges give plenty of options for people who didnt get the grades they expected. Whether its a re-take, alternative course or an apprenticeship, just keep your chin up and keep on going. :)

rickybazire
21-08-08, 22:00
I got 4 A*s (French, English Lit, English Lang & Additional Science)
And 6 As (Maths, Business Studies, History, Core Science and ICT x2)

So I'm happy :D
No idea how I managed to pull it off.

Well done to everyone else as well. I'm just glad they're over with.

Congratulations. :tmb:

It's always funny to think 'how on earth did I do that?' That was me with my Geography. :D

stranger1992
21-08-08, 22:14
Well that's me all beer'd up!

I hope, after all emotion, you are proud of any achievement you got today. :)

Seb_01225
21-08-08, 22:39
^ looking at your results on previous pages i gotta say you did great considering all the stress GCSE's put you under!
you got 6 PASSES!
thats a great achievement be proud don't be upset

Lew
21-08-08, 22:47
Well thats me ****ed for colelge haha
time to drink myself into oblivion tomorrow night

rickybazire
21-08-08, 22:48
Well thats me ****ed for colelge haha
time to drink myself into oblivion tomorrow night

Sorry to hear it.