PDA

View Full Version : The official Braid thread!

thanatos
21-08-08, 08:49
After doing a search I couldn't find a single mention of the XBox live game Braid and frankly I can't believe it!
After playing through the demo the night before I decided to blow 1200 of my points on downloading the full game and I'm glad I did. After getting something to eat after work I decided to sit down and have a go and I didn't stop playing it all night, finishing the first five worlds and finding all hidden puzzle pieces in that one night until I literally couldn't keep my eyes open any more. Then when I woke up this morning I finished the final world, disappointed that such a wonderful experience was already over.

The first thing that hits you is how beautiful the game is, especially on a HDtv, as all the backgrounds and animations are hand drawn, you truly can't appreciate the game until you've seen it in motion.

http://images.google.co.uk/url?q=http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1169/535979408_79ab3e2564.jpg&usg=AFQjCNGJ5kHk2duK2SG78yn3vD2Y6Ktd7w

To start with it feels like your playing a Mario game, and contains many homages to that series, but like Portal it is actual a far more complex puzzle game hidden in a usually far more simplistic genre.

The story, while initially confusing and eventually abmiguous, is moving and the way the final level is set out and the end of the story is told is something to behold.

http://darkzero.co.uk/asset/2008/03/braid3.jpg

Every level has a different structure, all revolving around the manipulation of time, which has to be understood and manipulated to solve all the games puzzles.

The only things that let it down are the price (Microsoft obviously know they have something special) and the length of the game, like I said it took me pretty much one night to solve every single puzzle in the game. The way I look at it is that it cost the same price to go and have two games of bowling and that is over within an hour and a half and with Braid I can go back and enjoy the experience again at no extra cost, not to mention those hidden stars I have yet to find...

http://www.davidhellman.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/04/aob05_08-s.jpg

violentblossom
21-08-08, 13:45
LOL, i thought this would be a thread about Lara's hair. :vlol:

**LARA LOVER**
21-08-08, 14:14
Ha ha me too!

stereopathic
21-08-08, 14:58
thanatos i also recently played the demo and was blown away. i love the art direction and the choice of going with a peaceful background music. the effect is actually kind of stimulating instead of mind-numbing like most old side-scrolling platformers.

and it seems so simple on the surface, and i admit, i was only trying it out at first because i was bored. but i was immediately struck by it's beauty, and like you said, the complex nature of the game hidden w/in such a classically simple genre.

as you said, it's totally mario+portal.

i also like that there's no penalty for dying because of the Prince of Persia SoT-style rewind which also makes missing jumps and whatnot no big deal at all, when it typically can grow to be frustrating in other side-scrollers.

i got some XBLA points for my bday last week and i plan on blowing some of them on this game. i'm glad you like the full version because i'm really excited to experience it.

Blue_light
21-08-08, 15:00

Thirded :vlol: :vlol:

thanatos
21-08-08, 15:21
thanatos i also recently played the demo and was blown away. i love the art direction and the choice of going with a peaceful background music. the effect is actually kind of stimulating instead of mind-numbing like most old side-scrolling platformers.

and it seems so simple on the surface, and i admit, i was only trying it out at first because i was bored. but i was immediately struck by it's beauty, and like you said, the complex nature of the game hidden w/in such a classically simple genre.

as you said, it's totally mario+portal.

i also like that there's no penalty for dying because of the Prince of Persia SoT-style rewind which also makes missing jumps and whatnot no big deal at all, when it typically can grow to be frustrating in other side-scrollers.

i got some XBLA points for my bday last week and i plan on blowing some of them on this game. i'm glad you like the full version because i'm really excited to experience it.

The demo is actually far more simple than the other worlds as each world has its own time based theme, for example one world will move time forward when you move to the right and backwards when you move to the left, another world has a ring which you drop to slow down time around it. Because of this you are constantly thinking how to solve the puzzles and no two puzzles are the same, even Portal doesn't have so much variety.

While I did find the way the story was told to be a bit pretentious (read incredibly) the way it all comes together in the end is brilliant and when you realise what it was all about you can re-read all the story books that lead up to each world and it gives a whole new meaning to them.

It's currently the highest rated XBox live game and incredibly the tenth highest rated XBox 360 game. I know ratings aren't everything but it does show the quality of the title.

stereopathic
21-08-08, 15:34
The demo is actually far more simple than the other worlds as each world has its own time based theme, for example one world will move time forward when you move to the right and backwards when you move to the left, another world has a ring which you drop to slow down time around it. Because of this you are constantly thinking how to solve the puzzles and no two puzzles are the same, even Portal doesn't have so much variety.

While I did find the way the story was told to be a bit pretentious (read incredibly) the way it all comes together in the end is brilliant and when you realise what it was all about you can re-read all the story books that lead up to each world and it gives a whole new meaning to them.

It's currently the highest rated XBox live game and incredibly the tenth highest rated XBox 360 game. I know ratings aren't everything but it does show the quality of the title.

*salivating*

wow. that sounds very cool.

about the story, did you find the ending made it less pretentious, or more so? i guess i mean that, were you thinking the story was pretentious (or the story-telling) while you were playing, but the end made it seem necessary in hindsight? or did it feel even more pretentious after you'd completed it?

it'd be pretty interesting if they intentionally used pretension as a story-telling device.

thanatos
21-08-08, 15:49
*salivating*

wow. that sounds very cool.

about the story, did you find the ending made it less pretentious, or more so? i guess i mean that, were you thinking the story was pretentious (or the story-telling) while you were playing, but the end made it seem necessary in hindsight? or did it feel even more pretentious after you'd completed it?

it'd be pretty interesting if they intentionally used pretension as a story-telling device.

It was the story-telling that I felt was overly pretentious, almost as if the developer was saying "if you think you're smart enough to solve my puzzles you're smart enough to understand my story." Although if I'm honest I do feel the same about many media developments that are artistic or trying to be, Donnie Darko being a prime example, I love that film but it has its fist firmly up its own backside.
Personally I loved the revelation at the end and the theme of the story, but I feel if it was less intentionally confusing it could have been more enjoyable. It is nice to have something to think about though after you've finished playing the game and because the story is open to interpretation it does make it a more personal experience. It's an experience not commonly found in video games and it's incredible to experience it in a Xbox live title.

fuzzycroft
12-05-09, 11:00
I thought I'd resurrect this thread, since this game only just became available on PC from last month. Rarely does a game this beautiful, unique and challenging come along. It's an experience well worth the $15. Anyone who missed out due to a lack of Xbox, or whatever else, do yourself a favour and check it out :tmb:

^I don't really agree with what was said up there about the pretentiousness. It uses poetic language as another facet of its artistry, along with the aesthetic design and the music. It's kind of the point to go on the journey, and piece things together as you go. Why would you want another spoon-fed story? Braid is beautiful from head to toe.

thanatos
12-05-09, 13:04
I thought I'd resurrect this thread, since this game only just became available on PC from last month. Rarely does a game this beautiful, unique and challenging come along. It's an experience well worth the $15. Anyone who missed out due to a lack of Xbox, or whatever else, do yourself a favour and check it out :tmb:

^I don't really agree with what was said up there about the pretentiousness. It uses poetic language as another facet of its artistry, along with the aesthetic design and the music. It's kind of the point to go on the journey, and piece things together as you go. Why would you want another spoon-fed story? Braid is beautiful from head to toe.

Good to see someone else loves it (as you can see this thread was never the hive of activity like the ones for Resi Evil and Final Fantasy.)

I do love the story and it's multi-layered meanings, I just feel that the way some of it was presented was a bit up it's own arse (for want of a better term) giving the impression Jonathan Blow was trying a bit hard. It just comes across as if he is looking down on those who can't work out what he's on about, tainting it with the feel of an angsty teenager who has just discovered poetry.

fuzzycroft
12-05-09, 13:19
Good to see someone else loves it (as you can see this thread was never the hive of activity like the ones for Resi Evil and Final Fantasy.)

lol, yes. But we can still do our part to spread the word ;)

I do love the story and it's multi-layered meanings, I just feel that the way some of it was presented was a bit up it's own arse (for want of a better term) giving the impression Jonathan Blow was trying a bit hard. It just comes across as if he is looking down on those who can't work out what he's on about, tainting it with the feel of an angsty teenager who has just discovered poetry.

Heh, well okay. Personally I didn't feel that at all, but I guess it's always a fine line between being poetic and sounding wanky :p
Either way, he's to be commended for trying something fresh and new :)

Tony9595
12-05-09, 19:10

Ha ha me too!

Thirded :vlol: :vlol:

I think Im fourth :p

:eek:!! 1,000 posts :yah:

x2crazyidiot
12-05-09, 19:26
I think Im fourth :p

:eek:!! 1,000 posts :yah:

fifth :p I expected it to be a thread about characters with braids

but on topic, this game looks decent! Might download it

Atlantisfreak666
12-05-09, 20:13
fifth

Sixth...
:p

Dia2blo
13-05-09, 21:04
Ooh i forgot! I need to get a walkthrough so i can get all the puzzle pieces and find the "princess"! I'm dying to know what really happened.

thanatos
14-05-09, 09:06
Ooh i forgot! I need to get a walkthrough so i can get all the puzzle pieces and find the "princess"! I'm dying to know what really happened.

Walkthrough? It's a puzzle game, if you are just told the solutions there's no point in playing it! Ah well, each to their own.

Lee croft
14-05-09, 09:11

Ha ha me too!

glad im not the only one!!! :vlol:

LaraRules81
14-05-09, 13:51
Sixth...
:p

Seventh!!

Godlikesweeper
14-05-09, 14:09
Fantastic game. Game of the 2009 for sure, I allready know it.:)

Alex Fly
14-05-09, 14:10
This game looks nice and I've read a lot of positive reviews from websites and the players too but I don't know... I've always hesitated to try it. I'm not sure if it's a game of my tastes...

Dia2blo
14-05-09, 15:11
Walkthrough? It's a puzzle game, if you are just told the solutions there's no point in playing it! Ah well, each to their own.

I suppose :( It's just so damned confusing! I do have most of the pieces though, there are just a few that i gave up on. Maybe i'll give it another try.

thanatos
14-05-09, 15:30
Fantastic game. Game of the 2009 for sure, I allready know it.:)

Doubtful, it came out in 2008 :)

fuzzycroft
14-05-09, 21:12
This game looks nice and I've read a lot of positive reviews from websites and the players too but I don't know... I've always hesitated to try it. I'm not sure if it's a game of my tastes...

No harm in trying the demo :)
Besides, Tomb Raider players are supposed to like challenging puzzles ;)

Godlikesweeper
14-05-09, 22:00
Doubtful, it came out in 2008 :)

in 2009 for the PC....;)

Kiss-Bite
15-05-09, 04:52

That is what I thought as well.:vlol:

Tony9595
15-05-09, 04:56
To keep the chain...

Lee Croft 7th

And Kiss-Bite 8th :p

---------------------------------

I dont know why but the character of that game, reminds me of a tiny Winston :vlol:

Godlikesweeper
15-05-09, 08:14
Please, stop spaming the thread. No, its not about Lara's hair, its about one of the best games in recent gaming history.:)

Kiss-Bite
15-05-09, 09:19
Please, stop spaming the thread. No, its not about Lara's hair, its about one of the best games in recent gaming history.:)

Oh really, I've never heard of it?:D I'm going to check it out & now it has a lot to live up to!:)

Godlikesweeper
15-05-09, 09:42
That game is just art. Visuals were made a profesional painter, they are georgeus, the music is briliant and fits the mood of the game perfectly, the gameplay is verry original, inteligent, and requires you to THINK!(remember that?). Story is great, deep, filled with allegory and connected with level design and gameplay elements...

This game has it all. All.

Alex Fly
15-05-09, 12:07
No harm in trying the demo :)
Besides, Tomb Raider players are supposed to like challenging puzzles ;)
I didn't even know there was a demo. I'll try to find the time to try then, thank you. :tmb:

irjudd
15-05-09, 12:29
Now that it's on my platform of choice I'll certainly give it a whirl. :tmb: