PDA

View Full Version : Best animations you've seen?

Anajrob
22-08-08, 14:05
So what do you think? Which game has the best animations? :)

Tbh, I haven't seen any game with animations that are realistic enough. But maybe I'm just too picky :p

Lara Croft Fan Joe
22-08-08, 14:09
TRU :vlol:

Seriously, with some tweaking, I think they could be brilliant.

Minty Mouth
22-08-08, 14:10
Uncharted had some pretty good ones. Probably the best in a game to date when its at its best.

mmm...cookies
22-08-08, 14:19
Gta4 ftw

Cog
22-08-08, 14:22
Street Fighter III

No, serisously, what kind of anims - 3D or 2D?

Anajrob
22-08-08, 14:22
Street Fighter III

No, serisously, what kind of anims - 3D or 2D?

Character animations :)

Cog
22-08-08, 14:23
Errr...still Street Fighter III.

thanatos
22-08-08, 14:24
Assassin's creed, easily. Those climbing animations are so fluid and realistic it makes me want to head down the local wall.

Ratchet and Clank is a close second, they may not look very realistic but if furry Lombaxes were real that is definitely how they would move!

tranniversary119
22-08-08, 14:31
Even though TRU's animations are still kind of buggy I can just tell they're going to look amazing in the final game.

Forwen
22-08-08, 14:43
Jennifer Tate from Primal (mocapped) and Ling Xiaoyu from Tekken series are the ones that popped into my mind on instant. There are loads of other brilliant ones out there though.

Not As We
22-08-08, 15:19
Assassin's creed, easily. Those climbing animations are so fluid and realistic it makes me want to head down the local wall.

Ratchet and Clank is a close second, they may not look very realistic but if furry Lombaxes were real that is definitely how they would move!

Agreed

:tmb:

especially with the Ratchet & Clank comment,

I thought that Drake's animations in Uncharted were really quite special

:)

Larapink
22-08-08, 15:23
Assassins Creed has great Animations fluid and realistic movements, but the gameplay sucks.

Underworld needs have fluid and realistic movements.

Zebra
22-08-08, 15:26
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: the Angel of Darkness - There are more realistic ones. But these were not just realistic but beautiful.

Heavenly Sword - The animations were not realistic. But like in AoD awesomely beautiful. All those fighting animations and the special combos and so on. Absolutely beautiful (and deadly) :tmb:!

petujaymz
22-08-08, 15:30
Errr...still Street Fighter III.

The Street Fighter IV (www.capcom.co.jp/sf4/ac1.html) character animations are supposed to be incredible.

People have been raving about M.Bison's in particular.

I'm just itching to see the game for myself.

Neither youtube or the Gallery Section of www.capcom.co.jp/sf4/ac1.html do the game justice.

:wve:

oocladableeblah
22-08-08, 15:40
Uncharted, Assassins Creed, and Ratchet and Clank like Thanatos said.

Encore
22-08-08, 15:48
I thought AoD Lara's animations were so amazing, fluid and realistic. It was strange to see them take one step back when Legend came out.

thanatos
22-08-08, 15:59
I thought AoD Lara's animations were so amazing, fluid and realistic. It was strange to see them take one step back when Legend came out.

I hope you're being ironic, AODs animations were barely any different from TR1-5.

trXD
22-08-08, 15:59
Uncharted and assassins creed comes to mind.

:vlol:
Was that some kind of joke?

nickless
22-08-08, 16:04
all the games i've played.meaning Runaway,Syberia,Black mirror ect.cuz i'm not really into action games.

Rivendell
22-08-08, 16:14
Probably Assassin's Creed from the current gen. There's some really nice work in there. :tmb:

From last gen, probably AoD. Aside from the combat, it had some top notch animations with really smooth, fluid transitions. I won't say they were 'realistic' though, not even olympic medalists can long-jump that far!
Nothing bad about those jumps though, they were among my favourite moves in the entire series. I'm glad TR:U has brought back the sprint-jump.

I want to say Shadow of the Colossus too, but I remember there being some weird glitches when climbing that made him look like he was twitching.

thanatos
22-08-08, 16:24
Probably Assassin's Creed from the current gen. There's some really nice work in there. :tmb:

From last gen, probably AoD. Aside from the combat, it had some top notch animations with really smooth, fluid transitions. I won't say they were 'realistic' though, not even olympic medalists can long-jump that far!
Nothing bad about those jumps though, they were among my favourite moves in the entire series. I'm glad TR:U has brought back the sprint-jump.

I want to say Shadow of the Colossus too, but I remember there being some weird glitches when climbing that made him look like he was twitching.

Forgot about SotC, they were amazing animations, just like ICO, especially considering the time they came out.

MiCkiZ88
22-08-08, 16:26
Well I only just now played Uncharted demo and I was rather impressed with the animations and fluidity. And tbh, AoD did have gorgeous animations. Just the controls were crap and she responded too late. Gun fighting was utter crap as well.

Can't really think of any game that has impressed me so much with animations. The only current gen games I've played are MGS4 and Uncharted demo.

the morningstar
22-08-08, 16:42
The horse animations on "Shadow of the Colossus" where pretty good

Samsdad
22-08-08, 16:43
Crysis had some of the best that I have seen. The game could be buggy at times.

Heavy Rain looks very realistic, but I am not sure about the game play.

Battlefield: Bad Company was also very good in animations and game play.

oocladableeblah
22-08-08, 16:44
Crysis had some of the best that I have seen. The game could be buggy at times.

Battlefield: Bad Company was also very good in animations and game play.
Forgot about bfbc yes that game has good animations.

Hybrid Soldier
22-08-08, 16:52
I thought Splinter Cell: DA for the 360 had nice animations that looked rather fluid.

US1bo39t0s4&feature=related

dream raider
22-08-08, 16:55
This games look to have great animations:

Assassin's Creed
Uncharted Drakes Fortune

And a personal fave...:D

Tomb Raider Underworld. :cln:

Agent 47
22-08-08, 17:04

i don't think ANYBODY is sure about the gameplay, lots of assumptions about it though....

i thought Heavenly Sword facial animations were pretty cool, even the new Socom animations look good :D

Zebra
22-08-08, 17:43
I hope you're being ironic, AODs animations were barely any different from TR1-5.

No. The jumping and shymmying (sp?) was very similar to TR1-5. But the other animations were a lot better than in TR1-5 (not saying jumping and shymmying was bad) and the movements were so fluid!

Cog
22-08-08, 17:58
The Street Fighter IV (www.capcom.co.jp/sf4/ac1.html) character animations are supposed to be incredible.

People have been raving about M.Bison's in particular.

I'm just itching to see the game for myself.

Neither youtube or the Gallery Section of www.capcom.co.jp/sf4/ac1.html do the game justice.

:wve:
Don't care about 3d animations personally. 2d ftw.
And i know what people are raving for - that would be Chun, not Dictator.

Tombreaper
22-08-08, 18:51
Uncharted has the best animations.

FF VII: Crisis Core's Zack has some very impressive animations too.

Gothlegend
22-08-08, 18:54
the silent hill series is always realistic with their character's animations

Tombreaper
22-08-08, 18:59
the silent hill series is always realistic with their character's animations

I agree, except for 'The Room' (in-game cutscenes look very good)

Anajrob
22-08-08, 19:50
I agree that Assassin's Creed animations look very good. :tmb:

Hmm.... Most were good and some really bad: for example jumping and climbing the stairs - very annoying, IMO

da tomb raider!
22-08-08, 19:55
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness

Angelus
22-08-08, 20:32
Assassin's Creed - Xbox 360
Tomb Raider Anniversary - PS2 and Xbox 360
Tomb Raider: Angel of Darkness - PS2
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - Xbox
Primal - PS2

That's all that spring to mind at the moment. :)

MadCroy101
22-08-08, 20:34
Guitar hero has okay animations, but its Tomb raider Angel of Darkness all the way;) Trust me, if you haven't played yet

dcw123
22-08-08, 20:35
Silent Hill 2 and 3 definately...they used Motion capture too (that was in 2002 BTW):D
Except they did a better job than TRU:ton:

Zebra
22-08-08, 20:38
Hmm.... Most were good and some really bad: for example jumping and climbing the stairs - very annoying, IMO

That has nothing to do with the animations. That has something to do with the controls and their responsiveness.

Anajrob
22-08-08, 20:41
That has nothing to do with the animations. That has something to do with the controls and their responsiveness.

No, I didn't like the jump and stairs animations, weren't realistic at all. :D

Angelus
22-08-08, 20:44

Erm... yes it does. The animation when Lara was climbing stars was terrible.

Raziel66
22-08-08, 20:52
Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Angel of Darkness

I must agree with you.Anims in AOD were amazing.

Then I like all of the Primal animations,escpecially the Jennifer ones.They have the Tomb Raider feeling,that both Legend and Anniversary don't have.Jennifer's not desinterestly "sliding" the environments,she "uses" them and you can somewhat "sense" the environments,the weight of the character along with the difficulty of the move.I don't know how to say it better :o Old Tomb Raiders have the same feeling as well.I don't care how slow the animation is,for me it depends on the feeling that animation reflects on you.
For example the Legend climb from the hanging postition is just hideous.Lara uses only one hand to climb a ledge.For a perfect climb,she should be using her whole body,not only a hand.Jennifer uses her whole body to climb a ledge,it's realy slow even if the games is soooo huge,her moves are still slow,but who cares how many time it will take to finish a level?I am playing a game to enjoy it,I am not playing the game to get to the end!

Zebra
22-08-08, 20:54
I must agree with you.Anims in AOD were amazing.

Then I like all of the Primal animations,escpecially the Jennifer ones.They have the Tomb Raider feeling,that both Legend and Anniversary don't have.Jennifer's not desinterestly "sliding" the environments,she "uses" them and you can somewhat "sense" the environments,the weight of the character along with the difficulty of the move.

That's because some of the movements were motion-captured.

Erm... yes it does. The animation when Lara was climbing stars was terrible.

It was very realistic. Perhaps you didn't notice it but many people go/run like that on stairs. I think epecially the animation where she goes downstairs is very realistic.

Angelus
22-08-08, 21:01
That's because some of the movements were motion-captured.

It was very realistic. Perhaps you didn't notice it but many people go/run like that on stairs. I think epecially the animation where she goes downstairs is very realistic.

I've never seen anyone run up stairs like that.

Encore
23-08-08, 01:01
No, I didn't like the jump and stairs animations, weren't realistic at all. :D

I had no problems with how they looked. Guess it's a matter of taste.

TripOpt55
23-08-08, 06:55
I'd say Uncharted has the best. Both in cutscenes and in-game had some awesome animations. Second I'd say Assassin's Creed, particularly Altair's movements. Last generation, I'd say maybe Jak 3 (or II, but 3's were better) or the Prince of Persia games. They had some great animations.

jarekhanzelka
23-08-08, 08:17
For previous generation, Mafia had and still has pretty good animations, both in cutcenes and real-time. Fahrenheit had some of the most amazing animations I've ever seen.

For current generation, Mass Effect has very realistic animations. And I always loved some of the animations Devil May Cry had, so I say DMC4 has also some incredible animations.

RAID
23-08-08, 08:28
TRU are mo-Capped, but still too fast.

SO far, I'll go with AOD.

irjudd
23-08-08, 16:49
Mass Effect and Half Life 2 Episode 1 & 2.

Conway
24-08-08, 15:00
Devil May Cry and Xenosaga.

Yuna´s Wish
25-08-08, 00:02
Except for some things that simply shouldn´t be (like the gun posture and the combat animations), AOD has the best animations ever :p

croft94
25-08-08, 07:09
AOD Had the best.:)

Dia2blo
25-08-08, 07:21
I'd have to say Mass Effect... has the most realistic animations to date. Great movement, and subtle features like twitching of fingers or subtle eye movements make it the best i think!

other than that, it may be ancient but shenmue had some pretty detailed animations- not so much the movement, but the fighting and character facial details etc. were pretty good.