View Full Version : A Good Pc RPG?

Not As We
23-08-08, 17:39
Heya guys,

I've been looking for a good single player RPG for the Pc,
I'm not a fan of strategy games or anything like that,

something like Final Fantasy would be great,
I've tried FFXI but didn't really like it,

So is there a good alternative out there?

Thanks

:)

Tombcool
23-08-08, 17:41
It's nothing like Final Fantasy but...

VAMPIRE THE MASQUERADE: BLOODLINES. :jmp:

I beat it 7 times.

*Where are you Paperdoll?!* :ton:

IceDragon
23-08-08, 17:51
I can't say from personal experience, but I've heard that The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is good.

Not As We
23-08-08, 17:59
It's nothing like Final Fantasy but...

VAMPIRE THE MASQUERADE: BLOODLINES. :jmp:

I beat it 7 times.

*Where are you Paperdoll?!* :ton:

Ah, see I'm not really a fan of FPS games,
so that may prove a problem,
but I've been looking around and it's received really good scores from everywhere,
So i might check it out =]

I can't say from personal experience, but I've heard that The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion is good.

I used to have that for 360,
I couldn't for the life of me get into it,
so I think I'll give it a pass

but thanks for the suggestion

jarekhanzelka
23-08-08, 18:02
Mass Effect, if you like sci-fi.
Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines, if you like something more "rude" and dark.
Arx Fatalis, if you like something more historical.
System Shock 2, if you like sci-fi creepy stuff.
Diablo 2, if you like...well, hard-hitting action and very stylish foes.
And then there is Fallout, Deus Ex, Morrowind, Gothics, Sacred, Baldurs Gate, SW:KOTOR, Planescape: Torment, Jade Empire... Too many of them, really...

Tombcool
23-08-08, 18:02
Ah, see I'm not really a fan of FPS games,
so that may prove a problem,
but I've been looking around and it's received really good scores from everywhere,
So i might check it out =]

I've never played the game in 1st person, always in 3rd, you can choose. :D

I promise, you won't be disappointed.:jmp:

Not As We
23-08-08, 18:05
Mass Effect, if you like sci-fi.
Vampire: The Masquerade: Bloodlines, if you like something more "rude" and dark.
Arx Fatalis, if you like something more historical.
System Shock 2, if you like sci-fi creepy stuff.
Diablo 2, if you like...well, hard-hitting action and very stylish foes.
And then there is Fallout, Deus Ex, Morrowind, Gothics, Sacred, Baldurs Gate, SW:KOTOR, Planescape: Torment, Jade Empire... Too many of them, really...

I've heard great things about all of these games,
I'll make sure to check them out

I've never played the game in 1st person, always in 3rd, you can choose. :D

I promise, you won't be disappointed.:jmp:

Ohhh, now that makes it 100 times more interesting

:D

Elysia
23-08-08, 18:11
I'll be honest - you're unlikely to get an RPG like FF on the PC because, on the whole, they aren't that popular on that platform (I play a lot of PC RPGs and the general consensus is that console RPGs like FF aren't 'real' RPGs and more just like interactive stories - which, to be fair, is pretty true! For example, I think it was FFVII that got 10/10 for console reviews, but only 6/10 for PC reviews, because compared to most PC RPGs, it is terribly restrictive). Most PC RPGs are a lot more in depth and take much more effort to get to grips with at first - but tend to be far more satisfying in the long run due to the fact that you get a lot more in the way of choice as to what you can do and say.

My favourite RPGs are the Baldur's Gate games, Planescape: Torment, Neverwinter Nights (basically, anything by Bioware is a pretty safe bet when it comes to quality), Fallout, Morrowind, Oblivion... these are pretty much the standard.

And why do you think Vampire is an FPS?! :confused:

Not As We
23-08-08, 18:17
I'll be honest - you're unlikely to get an RPG like FF on the PC because, on the whole, they aren't that popular on that platform (I play a lot of PC RPGs and the general consensus is that console RPGs like FF aren't 'real' RPGs and more just like interactive stories - which, to be fair, is pretty true! For example, I think it was FFVII that got 10/10 for console reviews, but only 6/10 for PC reviews, because compared to most PC RPGs, it is terribly restrictive). Most PC RPGs are a lot more in depth and take much more effort to get to grips with at first - but tend to be far more satisfying in the long run due to the fact that you get a lot more in the way of choice as to what you can do and say.

My favourite RPGs are the Baldur's Gate games, Planescape: Torment, Neverwinter Nights (basically, anything by Bioware is a pretty safe bet when it comes to quality), Fallout, Morrowind, Oblivion... these are pretty much the standard.

And why do you think Vampire is an FPS?! :confused:

I didn't mean, FPS,
I meant FP,

I just associate FPS with every first person game,
due to most first person games being shooters

Elysia
23-08-08, 18:19
I didn't mean, FPS,
I meant FP,

I just associate FPS with every first person game,
due to most first person games being shooters
Ahh, I did wonder!

There are a few FP RPGs, but you can invariably swap to 3rd person if you want to. I'm not a fan of FP games on the whole, either (they tend to make me feel queasy).

Endow
23-08-08, 18:26

Sedge
23-08-08, 18:44
In a desperate attempt to stop the prophecy, the Daughters of Light send you, a young but powerful magic wielder, on a difficult quest to unlock the secrets of the prophecy and hopefully, learn how to stop it.

If you enjoy classic RPGs like Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger, you're going to love Ahriman's Prophecy.

It can be downloaded for free (http://www.amaranthia.com/modules/ahriman/).

..I recommend to try, at least I enjoyed it a lot! ^_^

Naomichi
23-08-08, 18:51

This is pretty much your answer right here...;)

Except Neverwinter Nights, which I couldn't get into. :pInstead of that try Knights of the Old Republic.

Ward Dragon
24-08-08, 03:37
I'll repeat the suggestions for Kotor 1-2, Jade Empire, and Bloodlines. The gun mechanics in Bloodlines are really bad, but if you focus on melee weapons like I did then the game is very fun and you never have to use first-person mode :D (well, maybe once or twice when the game makes you shoot something, but really nothing to worry about).

I'll add Nox and Septerra Core because I absolutely love those games, although they are kind of old so I don't know if they run on newer PC's.

Sacrifice is a really interesting cross between an RPG and an RTS (your guy learns new spells based upon which missions you choose, but within each mission you have to summon troops and lead attacks).

Diablo 1-2 and Dungeon Siege are very action oriented with a few RPG elements. They might be fun or they might be boring depending upon your gaming preferences.

Deus Ex is very good, but might be too much of a FPS for your tastes.

Edit: I just remembered Fable. Fable: the Lost Chapters is a fairly fun RPG type game. It's not as heavy as the Bioware RPG's but I enjoyed it :)

Edit 2: Vampire: the Masquerade: Redemption was also a decent RPG type game (is the title long enough? :p). It took me a while to figure out the interface, but once I got past that it was fun, although you don't have anywhere near as much choice as Bloodlines in terms of making decisions and affecting the story (your morality or whatever they called it adds up by the end of the game and then you get a different ending based upon how good or evil you are).

Dakaruch
24-08-08, 10:47
Well, pretty much as almost everyone said, any RPG from Bioware is a good bet. Every single game made by it is well worth the while.
Try Kotor, Jade Empire, Mass Effect(which is really good, i enjoyed it a lot more than many of the RPG's i've ever played), Neverwinter Nights is also a good game.

I do personally advise you to get The Witcher aswell, because that game, despite of being made by an almost unknown gaming company, is one great RPG. It uses Bioware 2007 aurora engine, so it is pretty much a Bioware game when it comes to make choices and all.
Every quest one it is very complete, and complex, with many investigations, and the story is full of twists.

Elysia
24-08-08, 11:04
I do personally advise you to get The Witcher aswell, because that game, despite of being made by an almost unknown gaming company, is one great RPG. It uses Bioware 2007 aurora engine, so it is pretty much a Bioware game when it comes to make choices and all.
Every quest one it is very complete, and complex, with many investigations, and the story is full of twists.
Hmmm... be careful of The Witcher if you don't identify easily with slightly misogynistic sweaty-palmed males. It's a good RPG, but the 'I'm a virile male whom all females find irresistable' angle *really* began to wear me down after a while. At first, I found the fact that I could essentially charm any woman I wanted into bed by buying her a gift quite funny (made even more amusing for me because I insisted on calling the main character Gerald rather than Geralt... :p), but after a while I found it embarrassing, juvenile and faintly irritating that every single buxom wench out there wanted to jump on my hobby horse and go for a ride whether I liked it or not - just do their little mission for them and they're so grateful (no matter how menial the task) they turn into ravening nymphomaniacs after your man-flesh. Because I'm basically a nice person, I tend to be nice to NPCs and so found that I was groin-deep in girls within a few hours of gameplay - something that might appeal to some people, but not to me, and meant that I essentially stopped playing the game (I haven't finished it yet) because it left me feeling ever so slightly sordid... I kind of wanted a response that said 'look, you're a nice lass and all, but, uh, maybe not, eh?'. The fact that you gain an oddly smutty playing card (yes, that's a playing card!) depicting your conquest in an alluring pose once you've bedded them also just cheapens everything further - maybe it's because I am female, but I found it all oddly demeaning after a while, I must admit :/

Forwen
24-08-08, 11:32
Morrowind.

Dakaruch
24-08-08, 18:43
Hmmm... be careful of The Witcher if you don't identify easily with slightly misogynistic sweaty-palmed males. It's a good RPG, but the 'I'm a virile male whom all females find irresistable' angle *really* began to wear me down after a while. At first, I found the fact that I could essentially charm any woman I wanted into bed by buying her a gift quite funny (made even more amusing for me because I insisted on calling the main character Gerald rather than Geralt... :p), but after a while I found it embarrassing, juvenile and faintly irritating that every single buxom wench out there wanted to jump on my hobby horse and go for a ride whether I liked it or not - just do their little mission for them and they're so grateful (no matter how menial the task) they turn into ravening nymphomaniacs after your man-flesh. Because I'm basically a nice person, I tend to be nice to NPCs and so found that I was groin-deep in girls within a few hours of gameplay - something that might appeal to some people, but not to me, and meant that I essentially stopped playing the game (I haven't finished it yet) because it left me feeling ever so slightly sordid... I kind of wanted a response that said 'look, you're a nice lass and all, but, uh, maybe not, eh?'. The fact that you gain an oddly smutty playing card (yes, that's a playing card!) depicting your conquest in an alluring pose once you've bedded them also just cheapens everything further - maybe it's because I am female, but I found it all oddly demeaning after a while, I must admit :/

Oh yeah, i already forgot about those ones. It is true that that aspect of the game is quite annoying, although it didn't ruined the gaming experience for me at all, mostly because i just stopped being nice and all that crap to the NPC's, and therefore my character was not that much of a slut.
I tend to ignore that, and try to focus more on the main quests, and on the gameplay that is quite good.
What i find more annoying is the fact that you have to get laid with some girls, as there is no other option.
Despite that i find the game very good, and with a well thought plot, that makes it really interesting.
:p

Not As We
27-08-08, 19:14
Well thanks for all of the suggestions guys,

I ordered Vampire Bloodlines 2 days ago,
and I saw Oblivion for cheap, so i thought that I'd give it another shot,
it arrived today and it's excellent!

God knows why I didn't like it before