View Full Version : Replay Value

Quasimodo
24-08-08, 21:42
What gives a game replay value for you?

Endow
24-08-08, 21:44

Mad Tony
24-08-08, 21:44
Good storyline. The Metal Gear Solid games are good examples. The storylines are very good and the way they're told is even better. It's like watching a well scripted movie.

Twilight
24-08-08, 21:45
lotsa areas/places to explore and things to find. :)

also if the game is very long (and the story is good), then i'd replay it just to take in the full experience.

VonCroy360
24-08-08, 21:49
An overall good game. The story, the levels, the design etc.

I don't consider unlockables and secrets a good enough reason to replay a game that isn't that good itself. I hardly ever go for those.

:)

coolezpunk
25-08-08, 20:31
For me, it's the epic storyline, and wonderful levels, along with the suspense and new characters you meet along the way. :)

Ward Dragon
25-08-08, 21:53
First of all, the game needs to be good :p I usually only end up replaying a game immediately after finishing it if it's an RPG in which I can choose a different path the second time through the game. Otherwise, I usually leave games alone until I forget them enough to enjoy playing them again :)

Anajrob
25-08-08, 22:35
An overall good game. The story, the levels, the design etc.

I don't consider unlockables and secrets a good enough reason to replay a game that isn't that good itself. I hardly ever go for those.

:)

Ditto :D :p

Though, I rarely replay games XD

Dia2blo
26-08-08, 00:47
Tomb Raider (doy)
Shenmue
Knights of the old Republic
Mass Effect
Pokemon

and probably more

CroftScionGuard
26-08-08, 17:19
First of all, the game needs to be good :p I usually only end up replaying a game immediately after finishing it if it's an RPG in which I can choose a different path the second time through the game. Otherwise, I usually leave games alone until I forget them enough to enjoy playing them again :)
Same here! I love when I can replay and try something new. However Replay value doesn't stand only for new pathways in-game, but also the difficulty, the challenge it provides, and the special factor I also love: the fact that we don't know what exactly will happen. Even replaying and knowing that something will happen when we get in that part of the lvl, we don't know exactly if we'll be able to reach the objective. This applies to RTS games (meaning my fav game: Warcraft III)

I'm going to give an example and so I'll spoil a bit (in white, of course)
In the Human Campaign (Reign of Chaos), Chapter Five (Defending Heartglen), I know that an Optional Quest will activate when the countdown timer till Uther's Arrival gets 22:30 left. I generally use only Arthas to destroy the Caravan, but I don't know exactly if I will destroy the entire caravan in one strike, because there are a lot of factors: Mana, if the necromancers will use Raise Dead, Hero lvl, Hero abilities lvl... Also, it's and Optional Quest, and I know I am well rewarded by completing it, but I'm not forced to complete it. Let's say that every time I play that lvl, I never play it like the last time, though I know its secrets.

I think that my opinion about replay value is explained

yesrushdt
28-08-08, 17:05
lotsa areas/places to explore and things to find. :)

also if the game is very long (and the story is good), then i'd replay it just to take in the full experience.
Agreed. The classic TR games personally hold the most replay value for those very reasons. I would still come across secrets (not previously found) years after initially completing the games. I hardly ever use a walkthrough (only 2 instances in the entire series....TRLR- Khufu's Queens Pyramid maze & AOD- Brother Obcsura boss) so it was cool to find those "new" little areas on my own. Still occasionaly get lost too replaying 'em.:p

Survival
28-08-08, 17:35
Story and characters :tmb:

robm_2007
28-08-08, 17:59
different endings, paths, missions to choose, secrets, unlockale goodies, etc.

a perfect example is

Fable
Star Wars:KOTOR
Deus Ex: Invisible War

etc.

Larapink
28-08-08, 18:09
Story, Characters and thier story.
Locations and a challenge.