PDA

View Full Version : General Hellboy Thread

Elysia
26-08-08, 16:38
:D I've just come back from seeing Hellboy 2 - anyone else seen it yet?

I thought it was great! Not as Lovecraftian in nature as the first one (it's a bit more mainstream fantasy), but still a wonderfully imaginative film. Ron Perlman has long been one of my heroes, and his portrayal of Hellboy is just fantastic - he is such an appealing character. One thing that did surprise me (considering my age and all... that comment will make sense in a minute!) is how good Luke Goss is as Prince Nuala - I mean, he was in BROS!! The shame of it all! He was kind of like a cross between a pre-wraithified Raziel and a Blood Omen 2 era Kain from LoK with a dash of Tolkeinesque elf and Stargate Atlantis Wraith... my inner fangirl was yammering madly away whilst my own self of self disgust at my inner fangirl just kept on shouting back 'NOOO! HE WAS IN BROS! STOP IT!!!', but I cannot deny that he was fab in this film. Luke Goss, my dear, for Prince Nuala, I might just be able to forgive your Bros years... :p. The Angel of Death character was also a triumph of character design - looking forward to seeing more of him if there is another Hellboy film (which I am sure there will be, even if Ron Perlman is 58!)

Guillermo Del Toro really is fast becoming my favourite director, you know... :D

Anyone else seen it?

James_Rutland
26-08-08, 16:39
I've seen the first one, i liked it. :tmb: Second one sounds good!

Elysia
26-08-08, 16:44
The first one is one of my favourite films - it's got such a wonderfully self-deprecating, tongue in cheek attitude to it that really appeals to me. The second one is different, but that attitude is still there - this time, it's a bit more personal to the characters, though. I really recommend it if you like fantasy films with a good sense of humour and well rounded characterisation :tmb:

remote91
26-08-08, 18:17
I have the first film on DVD in some boxset thing.

I have never watched it though, but the hype surrounding the second one is encouraging me :p

Nannonxyay
26-08-08, 18:22
I bloody love Hellboy, it's brilliant. I've seen both movies and they are amazing. My favorite character has always been Abe Sapien, he's just...awesome. :D All the creatures are so gorgeously designed and detailed. They're visually appealing in a creepy fantasy type of way. The angel of death was magnificent. In fact, it's my desktop. :p

Elysia
26-08-08, 18:26
I have the first film on DVD in some boxset thing.

I have never watched it though, but the hype surrounding the second one is encouraging me :p
Seriously - if you have the first film, watch it. Watch it tonight! :D

I bloody love Hellboy, it's brilliant. I've seen both movies and they are amazing. My favorite character has always been Abe Sapien, he's just...awesome. :D All the creatures are so gorgeously designed and detailed. They're visually appealing in a creepy fantasy type of way. The angel of death was magnificent. In fact, it's my desktop. :p
Abe Sapien is without a doubt one of the most interesting (and strangely adorable!) characters I've ever seen in a film. He's great!

What got me was the amount of detail that was put into the background characters in the Troll Market... just scary! Del Toro really is an absolute visionary.

remote91
26-08-08, 18:29
Seriously - if you have the first film, watch it. Watch it tonight! :D

I'm gonna put it on the laptop now and I'll give you my feedback :D

Veronica Ma
26-08-08, 18:35
:D I've just come back from seeing Hellboy 2 - anyone else seen it yet?Yup. :D

He was kind of like a cross between a pre-wraithified Raziel and a Blood Omen 2 era Kain from LoK with a dash of Tolkeinesque elf and Stargate Atlantis WraithI thought exactly the same thing... it was like watching Kain from Blood Omen 2, and I'm a huge LOK fan, so I think that's why I thought it was probably the best part of the movie. :D

Nannonxyay
26-08-08, 18:49
Abe has always been rather cute. I don't know why. :D

Tyrannosaurus
26-08-08, 19:30
I loved it myself. What a fantastic, richly imaginative world! Plus, it has a sense of humor about itself, and in the best possible way. I think it's a strong contendor to eventually be found on the list of the best fantasy movies. It's like a breath of fresh air in a summer of silly comic book movies that either take themselves too seriously (The Dark Knight), exhibit contempt for their audience (Wanted), or don't know what to do with themselves (Hancock).

All the characters grew on me. I found Abe to be especially endearing. His innocence and awkwardness in the matters of love was quite relateable, for me at least. But this is further proof that a character's background is less important than his or her personality. If we love the characters, we'll follow them anywhere, and I can't wait to see what Del Toro has in store for the third one.

Nannonxyay
26-08-08, 19:31
I loved it myself. What a fantastic, richly imaginative world! Plus, it has a sense of humor about itself, and in the best possible way. I think it's a strong contendor to eventually be found on the list of the best fantasy movies, along. It's like a breath of fresh air in the midst of silly comic book movies that take themselves seriously, or exhibit contempt for their audience.

All the characters grew on me. I found Abe to be especially endearing. His innocence and awkwardness in the matters of love was quite relateable, for me at least. But this is further proof that a character's background is less important than his or her personality. If we love the characters, we'll follow them anywhere, and I can't wait to see what Del Toro has in store for the third one.

Yay. Another Abe lover. :D

Angelus
26-08-08, 20:04
Still haven't seen the first one, unfortunately. :(

Greenkey2
26-08-08, 20:06
I saw it last night :tmb: Absolutely loved it. You're right Elysia: Del Toro has a way of bringing richness - to the characters, the backgrounds, the detailing - that no other filmmaker seems to have.

He has the twisted darkness of Tim Burton and Neil Gaimen, but there's no malice or hatred there. Even the most evil of the evilest of his evil creations just reeks of the love and devotion of those who helped bring them to life. The Angel of Death could have stepped off the set to Pan' Labyrinth and not looked out of place... but the humanity, the humour and the heart to Hellboy is a work of genius.

HAVE to see it again :jmp:

remote91
26-08-08, 20:29
Okay just finished the first one, it was pretty good in my opinion, but the sequel is supposed to be much better, so I look forward to seeing it at some point.

Amboo
26-08-08, 20:32
I've always liked Hellboy, although my mom is the real fangirl when it comes to him.:p

Neteru
27-08-08, 07:32
I'm planning on taking my nephew to see it this week.

tomb raider 22
27-08-08, 10:49
I Love The Hell Boy Films :D
I Seen Hell Boy 2 3 weeks ago Its My faverite movie so far :D
my faverite character is Liz Sherman She Acts And Dresses Abit like lara :)http://i38.************/ifdcux.jpg
And Its So funny in some parts of the movie
i like hell boy and abe 2 :D
http://i37.************/k3pq2v.jpg :D
http://i34.************/do9a82.jpg:D