PDA

View Full Version : Wii to be beaten at its own game?

silver_wolf
26-08-08, 22:09
http://www.gamespot.com/hardware/blogs/hardware-insider/909185655/26562803/motus-ceo-talks-darwin-motion-control.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=picks&tag=picks;title;2
According to this article, the 360 and PS3 may soon be getting a motion-sensitive controller that's even better than the Wii's . Hopefully this means we'll get some decent games that take full advantage of this technology, like sword fighting and FPS instead of the Wii's kiddie games.

irjudd
26-08-08, 23:16
Neat idea, but I don't like the estimated price point. I also don't own a Wii basically because I don't care about motion controls. Novel idea, but I'll take standard controls.

Larapink
26-08-08, 23:21
Thats a great idea. :jmp:

I don't like the Wii much, anyway.

amiro1989
26-08-08, 23:23
I'm not really interested in motion-sensitive controller, honestly...

Forwen
26-08-08, 23:32
I'd check it out, maybe. Wii puts me off precisely because of its aggressively Nintendoish game library - if I don't get to blow **** up as a space marine or hack goblins into pieces in medieval Europe I cease to function properly.

Angelus
26-08-08, 23:38
Neat idea, but I don't like the estimated price point. I also don't own a Wii basically because I don't care about motion controls. Novel idea, but I'll take standard controls.

I fully agree. :tmb:

ajrich17901
27-08-08, 03:41
Honestly the reason i play ps3 is because i dont wanna look like an idiot wavin my hands around, i dont care about this technology leave it for the wii

Crayons
27-08-08, 04:02
One thing to say: LOL

Twilight
27-08-08, 04:09
irony

Crayons
27-08-08, 04:10
irony

haha exactly.

trtrailerman
27-08-08, 04:20
Honestly the reason i play ps3 is because i dont wanna look like an idiot wavin my hands around, i dont care about this technology leave it for the wii

agreed :tmb:

dizzydoil
27-08-08, 04:44
Huh? The PS3 has six-axis, so if you don't want to be moving your hands at all.. go with the 360. :p

I like the idea, ofcourse if it's optional. :p

Immortalis08
27-08-08, 05:32
...it looks clunky and unappealing. Of course its probably a prototype. I really don't care of course since Im buying a 360 and already have a Wii, so using the motion sensor on either one matters not to me.

If there is a game that can implement motion sensing tech and still be a good game, I would gladly buy it for the 360.

Quasimodo
27-08-08, 05:35
I'm imagining simulated light saber battles. Probably because it looks like the handle of one.
voomVOOOMvoomvrrrrrrmVOOMvoomVOOM

thanatos
27-08-08, 08:51
I can honestly say the motion control in the Wii is a gimmick, and just because its convinced a load of non-gamers to buy crap Wii "games" doesn't make it a good idea. Nothing is more frustrating than being forced to use an imprecise control method, it is the main reason my Wii sits covered in dust in the shadow of my PS3 and 360. I actually got so sick of twitching my wrist every two seconds to slash at enemies I eventually stopped playing Twilight Princess. The only reason Microsoft and Sony want any part of this tech is because they want the same sales figures as trash like WiiFit.

Ward Dragon
27-08-08, 09:12
I don't know how I feel about this. I guess I'd have to see how precise the Darwin controller is before I made a decision. The Wiimote is a bit imprecise (I don't know how much better this Wiimotion Plus add-on will make it, or even if I could use that at the same time as the nunchuck since it apparently plugs into the same slot :confused:).

But anyhow, I feel more comfortable controlling games with the keyboard/mouse or even a gamepad as compared to relying on motion-sensing so I feel like PC/360/PS3 games should stick to their respective controllers. I guess there could be alternate control systems for people with the Darwin controller, but then would the motion sensing just feel tacked on? I'm probably over-thinking this :p

toxicraider
27-08-08, 09:19
^ Same, i'd like better motion controls with current gen graphics, but I couldn't care less if it will be like wii. I do not want a complete drought of hardcore games.

Also it won't be very successful as the success of the wiimote is that it's the standard controller, therefore it HAS to be used and every wii owner has one. If it goes the way of the eyetoy/ps eye and has little support i'd not bother. Sony really need to work on getting more for the ps eye which tbh is probably much more cabable than motion controls.
The wiimote is not good control, if you've ever played any game other than wii... then the controls revolve around 'swing up and down to do this, swing left to right to do this' so the actual control you have is limited.

btw that news is quite old, and I worry if sony or M will pay much attention to a 3rd party controller, good if used properly, but in the UK where the ps3 is 300 and the 360 is still pretty expensive, I don't see non gamers being that interested.

interstellardave
27-08-08, 10:52
I can honestly say the motion control in the Wii is a gimmick, and just because its convinced a load of non-gamers to buy crap Wii "games" doesn't make it a good idea. Nothing is more frustrating than being forced to use an imprecise control method, it is the main reason my Wii sits covered in dust in the shadow of my PS3 and 360. I actually got so sick of twitching my wrist every two seconds to slash at enemies I eventually stopped playing Twilight Princess. The only reason Microsoft and Sony want any part of this tech is because they want the same sales figures as trash like WiiFit.

You comment is similar to what I've been saying about the Wii as well. Many games just don't work with motion sensitive controls. They are NOT intuitive, NOT precise enough, NOT necessary.

Can someone make any argument at all as to how Super Mario Galaxy would be any worse if it used the old-fashioned controls? I don't think it would be--and that's a major Nintendo title, we're not talking 3rd party here. The best use for motion sensitive controls that I've seen are minigames and other simple games like Carnival Games. Fun for a few evenings w/friends... but a dust collector in the long run. :(

toxicraider
27-08-08, 10:56
You comment is similar to what I've been saying about the Wii as well. Many games just don't work with motion sensitive controls. They are NOT intuitive, NOT precise enough, NOT necessary.

I know! Play a normal game on wii, and you constantly have to move the wiimote, not to have the character do the movements, but you must move to certain combos instead which is less fun than button mashing as your input can fail more, good analysis of galaxy, same for mario kart, i use the analogue stick controls as I find the tilt awful.

badboy70
27-08-08, 14:19
Wasn't there going to be an addition for the Wiimote to make it even more precise ?

trXD
27-08-08, 14:39
Wouldnt that just make the wii completley useless? Apart from its exclusives it would just be the 360 and ps3 with worse graphics.

interstellardave
27-08-08, 14:41
Wouldnt that just make the wii completley useless? Apart from its exclusives it would just be the 360 and ps3 with worse graphics.

That is what it already is, IMO, and I'm sad to say it.

RAID
27-08-08, 15:01
That would make games with manual aim much easier to control :)

Mad Tony
27-08-08, 15:11
That is what it already is, IMO, and I'm sad to say it.I agree. Personally I think the Wii is holding this generation back.

toxicraider
27-08-08, 15:15
Wasn't there going to be an addition for the Wiimote to make it even more precise ?

Yh the wii mote plus, but not being standard with the console means it's not standard with games so I worry if that, like this Darwin, it will be used much.

well its low price point will help it with the casual market still but yes it could lose it's biggest advantage.

I agree. Personally I think the Wii is holding this generation back.
So do I, it kinda upset the balance, last few gen the lead console was never really the most powerful, but it wasn't the almost (if not a whole) generation difference this gen, now devs can make a game cheaply for many people, or with current gen graphics, they have to make the choice, i can kinda see why pc gaming seems to be on the rise.

thanatos
27-08-08, 15:16
I agree. Personally I think the Wii is holding this generation back.

What are you talking about, WiiFit and WiiMusic are pushing this generation forward with constant innovation! :rolleyes:

remote91
27-08-08, 15:18
Well, can't say I didn't see this one coming.

toxicraider
27-08-08, 15:27
Well, can't say I didn't see this one coming.

It's kinda 2 months old,:)

and it's 3rd party, so nobody can actually say it had anything to do with S or M, but i did think that Darwin was being developed by Microsoft and not third party :confused:

petujaymz
27-08-08, 15:29
Let me guess...

When Sony introduce a motion sensitive controller many Wii-bashers will buy into it without question.

That's odd. :confused: I thought the Wii-mote was a 'gimmick'.

Nintendo Forever!

:wve:

thanatos
27-08-08, 15:32
Let me guess...

When Sony introduce a motion sensitive controller many Wii-bashers will buy into it without question.

That's odd. :confused: I thought the Wii-mote was a 'gimmick'.

Nintendo Forever!

You know Sony does have motion control in its controllers already.

toxicraider
27-08-08, 15:40
You know Sony does have motion control in its controllers already.

Indeed, and i don't like it much just as I rather play wii without having motion control forced on me, as both are dreadful,

also wii bashers generally aim for the graphics and if these are for 360, ps3 and pc, then they won't be able to complaign about those graphics.

Also it's not sony introducing it, it's 3rd party, besides, is buying into it without question any worse than buying into the playstation brand, nintendo consoles or xboxes without question?

thanatos
27-08-08, 15:45
Indeed, and i don't like it much just as I rather play wii without having motion control forced on me, as both are dreadful,

also wii bashers generally aim for the graphics and if these are for 360, ps3 and pc, then they won't be able to complaign about those graphics.

Also it's not sony introducing it, it's 3rd party, besides, is buying into it without question any worse than buying into the playstation brand, nintendo consoles or xboxes without question?

Yeah I agree, Ratchet and Clank used it sparringly which added a bit of extra fun, but it would have been fine using the left stick instead. Thankfully PS3 games give you the option not to use the motion control (from what I've played anyway.)

toxicraider
27-08-08, 16:53
Yeah I agree, Ratchet and Clank used it sparringly which added a bit of extra fun, but it would have been fine using the left stick instead. Thankfully PS3 games give you the option not to use the motion control (from what I've played anyway.)

Pretty much, and the ones that don't also use it sparringly, ratchet and clank was good but i actually cannot get it to work right with driving games, and the log balancing in uncharted doesn't work at all.
Some driving games on wii are ok, but I prefer mario kart with the analogue stick, it just feels so much more natural, plus you can't play as well upside down :)

McGloomy
27-08-08, 18:04
I don't like the Wii much, anyway.
You make McGloomy sad. :(

Lara Croft Fan Joe
27-08-08, 18:20
Bleh. I'd rather sit in a comfy chair and play a game. Not wave my arms around like a lunatic.

Not As We
27-08-08, 19:00
I love how people make comments about 'waving theirs arms around'

when infact, with most Wii games,
you don't have to wave your arms around at all,

If you really want to then you can,
but not one Wii game forces you to,
a simple flick of the wrist works just as well,

anyway,
I don't think that this will really take off,
due to it being a 3rd party thing,
not a lot of games, if any will use it

thanatos
27-08-08, 19:15
I love how people make comments about 'waving theirs arms around'

when infact, with most Wii games,
you don't have to wave your arms around at all,

If you really want to then you can,
but not one Wii game forces you to,
a simple flick of the wrist works just as well,

anyway,
I don't think that this will really take off,
due to it being a 3rd party thing,
not a lot of games, if any will use it

True, but the only games that are actually more fun using motion control than without are ones like WiiSports, which DO involve you waving your arms about like a lunatic (which personally I find fun even without the excuse of a motion controller!) Games such as zelda which merely offer an alternative to pressing a button are often far less intuative or precise than using a regular controller.

illuminati30
27-08-08, 19:16
Seen something similar like this before. I think for this gen the Wii is safe, until MS and Sony come up with their own style of motion control.

tizerist
27-08-08, 19:40
Personally i think nintendo should have followed sega out the door and just become a games developer. their last three consoles, while looking pretty, have simply trailed behind their rivals and wasted developer time by having to convert existing games to the various nintendo consoles.

give it up nintendo. then you can spend time and money on projects that really matter, like bringing out Killer Instinct 3 and StarWing 3 on serious platforms and we'll all be better off.

toxicraider
27-08-08, 19:47
Personally i think nintendo should have followed sega out the door and just become a games developer. their last three consoles, while looking pretty, have simply trailed behind their rivals and wasted developer time by having to convert existing games to the various nintendo consoles.

give it up nintendo. then you can spend time and money on projects that really matter, like bringing out Killer Instinct 3 and StarWing 3 on serious platforms and we'll all be better off.
I'd agree, but with the success of the wii, they're hardly going to give up now, although i expect they will defo need the graphics next gen to match s or m.

ajrich17901
27-08-08, 20:09

couldnt have said it better myself!:tmb::tmb:

toxicraider
27-08-08, 20:13
i just noticed i've been calling sony and Microsoft; S&M, not good.

Sony use the bloody ps eye that can do motion sensing and tracking, why they don't use what they already have is a mystery to me, and a pity.

tranniversary119
27-08-08, 20:26
I have the wii and I think I've played it maybe 10 times. It's not that fun really and when these controllers release goodbye Nintendo wii.

toxicraider
27-08-08, 20:27
i love this does anybody know if this is actually coming out?
L17O43X39cg

Crayons
27-08-08, 20:29
i love this does anybody know if this is actually coming out?
L17O43X39cg

The eyetoy has been out.. how is this on-topic? :confused:

toxicraider
27-08-08, 20:30
The eyetoy has been out.. how is this on-topic? :confused:

it can be used for motion sensing, i was refering to the actual software, that isn't out.

nickp364
28-08-08, 01:48
I mostly hate the Wii because of WiiFit. How cheap is it to cash in on the fact that people say kids aren't exercising because of video games so they make a board that's going to magically get in shape. What a load of crap. The sad thing is, people waste money on this.

interstellardave
28-08-08, 02:03
I have the wii and I think I've played it maybe 10 times. It's not that fun really and when these controllers release goodbye Nintendo wii.

Me too, and several people I know. I've heard a lot more, like you, say this as well. The "success" of the Wii will not stand IMO. It's a bubble that has grown very large, very quickly, but there's no substance to it... nothing to really keep it going. They've sold a lot of systems through hype and keeping supply just below demand for a long time. The word is getting out though...

silver_wolf
28-08-08, 02:27
This sounds a lot less gimmicky than the Wii, what with the more advanced tech and such. I cannot wait for the first lightsaber sim. :D

toxicraider
28-08-08, 10:50
Me too, and several people I know. I've heard a lot more, like you, say this as well. The "success" of the Wii will not stand IMO. It's a bubble that has grown very large, very quickly, but there's no substance to it... nothing to really keep it going. They've sold a lot of systems through hype and keeping supply just below demand for a long time. The word is getting out though...

Yes lot's of people play it with a friend then want one, but once you get it, you realise your missing out on the majority of games this gen, graphics, nintendo basically defect to making casual crap. I only use my wii and ds for internet browsing, except for maybe if i'm very bored.

Mad Tony
28-08-08, 11:50
I too hardly ever play my Wii. Heck, I bought it in February last year and I only have three games and I rarely ever play it. I agree with Dave, there's nothing to keep it going.

interstellardave
28-08-08, 12:58
There is literally only 1 game that might keep me from selling my Wii... and that's Pikmin 3. Still, I'm thinking of selling the Wii and everything I have with it, then buying it more cheaply in 2-3 years when Pikmin 3 finally comes out. I know, with Nintendo, that I have at least that long to wait for the game.

Samsdad
28-08-08, 16:25
We use our Wii for social gatherings mostly or if several of us just want to kill a small amount of time and don't really want to get into a more involved game.

My wife runs the young adult section of our local library and they have weekly gaming nights where the Wii is used extensively, mostly the Guitar Hero or the Wii sports games.

petujaymz
28-08-08, 17:23
For ****'s sake! :rolleyes:

Two things...

- In terms of unit sales, Nintendo's machine has beaten the competition hands down.

- Nintendo is the best games developer. You know it.

Why do so many people have a hard time admitting that Nintendo have scored?

Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft are in the market to make money, not out of the goodness of their hearts; that's one point for Nintendo. Oh, and it just so happens that Nintendo is the best games developer around.

silver_wolf
28-08-08, 21:53

:vlol: yes, of course, I forgot! That's the Wii games are sooo much better than what you can get on the 360 or PS3. Seriously, like 90% of Wii games are crap. They have crap graphics, crap gameplay, and crap controls. Someone sees Nintendo through rose-tinted glasses. Did you not see their E3 conference?

Tombreaper
28-08-08, 22:06
Wii = moneywasting, so don't waste your money, and buy a decent console (X360, PS2, PS3)

Sir Croft
28-08-08, 22:41
That's when people start regreting for taking fun over graphics, like the Wii owners have stated like thousand times. Now the 360 and the PS3 have both fun and graphics. :)

Encore
28-08-08, 23:14
We use our Wii for social gatherings mostly or if several of us just want to kill a small amount of time and don't really want to get into a more involved game.

My wife runs the young adult section of our local library and they have weekly gaming nights where the Wii is used extensively, mostly the Guitar Hero or the Wii sports games.

Nice. :tmb: It's what I saw as its main advantage. Changes things a bit from the old video game nerd sitting in his couch all day.

Ward Dragon
28-08-08, 23:30
I've had my Wii since April and I only have two actual Wii games for it so far (Twilight Princess, and I just got TRA the other day). I've mainly been using it to catch up on all of the GameCube games I missed out on. I'm sure I'll find more Wii games I like once the prices drop. I just hope that the Wiimotion Plus thing is actually high quality and not too expensive because I would very much like the Wiimote to be more precise (I honestly don't know if the imprecision is a hardware thing, a software thing, or just me sitting too close to the TV and sensor bar since I can't see very well from far away :o).

toxicraider
28-08-08, 23:36
I've had my Wii since April and I only have two actual Wii games for it so far (Twilight Princess, and I just got TRA the other day). I've mainly been using it to catch up on all of the GameCube games I missed out on. I'm sure I'll find more Wii games I like once the prices drop. I just hope that the Wiimotion Plus thing is actually high quality and not too expensive because I would very much like the Wiimote to be more precise (I honestly don't know if the imprecision is a hardware thing, a software thing, or just me sitting too close to the TV and sensor bar since I can't see very well from far away :o).

I think it's hardware, i'm not sure if the wiimote can pick up exact movement, just the general direction

Ward Dragon
28-08-08, 23:47
I think it's hardware, i'm not sure if the wiimote can pick up exact movement, just the general direction

Okay, that makes sense. Since this Wiimotion Plus thing is an actual hardware add-on to the Wiimote, I wonder if it will improve the Wiimote's performance in games that were made before the add-on came out since it would be feeding more accurate data into whatever program the game uses.

yesrushdt
29-08-08, 06:09
I can see where everyone is coming from on the Wii. I've had the system since launch and to date have only bought 3 games for it. Guess I'm just getting pickier the older I get and the more and more the video games industry is catering their titles for the casual gamer. I don't really see it as a waste of money though as the 3 games that I have (Twilight Princess, Metroid Prime 3 & Super Mario Galaxy) are some of the best I've ever had the pleasure of playing. Heck, I bought the original X-box just so that I could play Toby Gard's Galleon (which turned out to be a wise investment too considering how great that game is).

Those 3 Wii games, especially Metroid, work very well with the remote. I couldn't imagine playing Twilight or Metroid any other way as intuitive as the aiming controls are. I have the sensor on top of my plasma and the controls for those titles work great sitting 10 feet away from the tv.

Definitley wish Nintendo would release more for the hardcore gamer. Their E3 conference was an absolute joke though and it shows they're willing to just rest on their laurels and make the crappy casual games. I'll be lucky to get 1 or 2 more titles before they stop making games for it (especially considering ALL of the games I'll be getting this fall/winter will come out on PC and the new gen consoles).

I still use it though, like Ward Dragon does for Gamecube titles lol.:D I've been replaying through Wind Waker, RE1, 2, Zero and 4 over the last few months, having a blast.:tmb: Sadly those games will probably be light years better than anything else Nintendo releases for the Wii.

toxicraider
29-08-08, 09:38
Okay, that makes sense. Since this Wiimotion Plus thing is an actual hardware add-on to the Wiimote, I wonder if it will improve the Wiimote's performance in games that were made before the add-on came out since it would be feeding more accurate data into whatever program the game uses.

I read somewhere that wiisports 2 would be one of the first games to use it so i doubt it because it would have to work with the extra hardware, and because the wii works out the movements not the remote, i think the game would need to be patched, but if it's anything like dualshock3 then the games released now will be already compatible i suppose.

maximum_123
29-08-08, 11:26
I thought there was already an (unofficial) add on thing to make the 360 motion sensitive. And Isn't the PS3 already sensitive of motion :confused:

toxicraider
29-08-08, 11:29
I thought there was already an (unofficial) add on thing to make the 360 motion sensitive. And Isn't the PS3 already sensitive of motion :confused:

It has tilt sensing but not full motion and this is the thing for the 360, the news is about 2 months or more old ;)

petujaymz
29-08-08, 15:43

:vlol: yes, of course, I forgot! That's the Wii games are sooo much better than what you can get on the 360 or PS3. Seriously, like 90% of Wii games are crap. They have crap graphics, crap gameplay, and crap controls. Someone sees Nintendo through rose-tinted glasses. Did you not see their E3 conference?

Erm... I said that Nintendo is the best games developer.

Metroid Prime: Corruption, Wii Sports, Super Mario Galaxy, The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess, Wii Play, Mario Kart Wii, Super Smash Bros Brawl, Wii Fit...

100% of the 90% you refer to are games by third party developers.

EDIT - Let's face it, most developers out there are one franchise wonders.