PDA

View Full Version : Are you ready for the Large Hadron Collider?

Pages : [1] 2 3

tlr online
27-08-08, 13:46
Large Hadron Collider

http://i35.************/117zrir.jpg

The Large Hadron Collider (LHC), a 27 kilometer (17 mile) long particle accelerator straddling the border of Switzerland and France, is nearly set to begin its first particle beam tests. The European Organization for Nuclear Research (CERN) is preparing for its first small tests in early August, leading to a planned full-track test in September - and the first planned particle collisions before the end of the year. The final step before starting is the chilling of the entire collider to -271.25 C (-456.25 F). Here is a collection of photographs from CERN, showing various stages of completion of the LHC and several of its larger experiments (some over seven stories tall), over the past several years.

http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2008/08/the_large_hadron_collider.html

Conspiracy Theory?

This is not only the largest particle accelerator ever built, it's the largest anything ever built. Originally set to come online in 2005, then delayed until September 2008, the LHC will fire very small objects around its 17-mile circumference at close to the speed of light, before smashing the **** out of them and watching what comes out.

The problem, of course, is that even the eggheads don't really know what's going to happen, which is sort of why they're doing it in the first place. That's also why a lawsuit was filed to put a stop to it. Scientists on the LHC project insist there is no danger, and predict that the resulting observations could revolutionize science and send us into a golden age of knowledge, in the event that we actually survive.

http://www.cracked.com/article_16583_5-scientific-experiments-most-likely-end-world.html

The end of the world as we know it?

The media is correctly reporting that some physicists believe that the Large Hadron Collider might produce mini black holes in its collisions, and that black holes are in general so powerful that they can swallow up not just the Earth, but whole star systems. The media also correctly reported that physicists, when pressed, cannot completely dismiss the chance of being eaten alive by these mini black holes from the LHC.

This in turn has sparked some rather sensational headlines, leading up to a lawsuit filed in the US District Court in Hawaii in March, where seven people are asking for a court injunction to stop the experiments at the LHC, stating that the mini black holes it produces could grow by swallowing matter until they become large enough to swallow up the entire Earth. Although the equipment is based in Europe, and is hence outside the jurisdiction of US law, many of its large magnets and key components come from the US. The lawsuit could, theoretically, cripple the project.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/jun/30/cern.particlephysics1

Rivendell
27-08-08, 13:51
:D I wonder, in the event that if they did somehow accidentally create a black hole, how long it would take to swallow up everything?

DREWY
27-08-08, 13:53

Why does "The world is flat, if you explore you'll drop off the edge" come to mind here?

Goose
27-08-08, 13:53
Isnt that like splitting atoms but worse?

disneyprincess20
27-08-08, 13:54
:D I wonder, in the event that if they did somehow accidentally create a black hole, how long it would take to swallow up everything?

Seconds, I should imagine. Definitely not long enough to go hide, plus where would you hide? It's just gonna swallow up the solar system!

tlr online
27-08-08, 13:55
The Guardian article gives a pretty good argument on how the media has been responsible for hyping the scaremongering. Trouble is, no one really knows what's going to happen. Which leads to rampant speculation.

When pressed by journalists to flatly declare that the worst case scenario cannot occur, physicists shy away, not because we think the event might occur, but because of a loophole in the quantum theory. Because of Werner Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, there is a tiny chance that anything will occur. There is a chance that firebreathing dragons will be produced by the LHC. But the probability of this event is so small, one can show that it will not happen in the lifetime of the universe.

toxicraider
27-08-08, 13:55
:yik:

Is that the whole thing? it doesn't look very big in the photo :confused:

I want to be in it when it's on :rolleyes:

There is a chance that firebreathing dragons will be produced by the LHC.

Oh cool :)

Wana b like Lara
27-08-08, 13:56
Call me stupid but what does it do? :o

Geck-o-Lizard
27-08-08, 13:56
Let's get on with it!

In nature, dangerous black holes form when STARS implode, not when minute particles collide. The black holes that might possibly be produced in this wouldn't last long enough to start devouring things. Remember, black holes are only as powerful as their mass. If a black hole forms with the mass of less than one atom, what chance do you think it has against the entire planet? It would just flicker out almost as soon as it was made.

Also, we're under a constant stream of particles from outer space. If catastrophes could form as easily as bashing a few atomic particles together, we'd never have come to exist.

But man. Firebreathing dragons born in the LHC would be friggin awsome.

disneyprincess20
27-08-08, 13:57
The Guardian article gives a pretty good argument on how the media has been responsible for hyping the scaremongering. Trouble is, no one really knows what's going to happen. Which leads to rampant speculation.
When pressed by journalists to flatly declare that the worst case scenario cannot occur, physicists shy away, not because we think the event might occur, but because of a loophole in the quantum theory. Because of Werner Heisenberg's uncertainty principle, there is a tiny chance that anything will occur. There is a chance that firebreathing dragons will be produced by the LHC. But the probability of this event is so small, one can show that it will not happen in the lifetime of the universe.

So can we all turn into knitted people like in Hitch-hikers guide to the Galaxy?! Sweet!

toxicraider
27-08-08, 13:58
Call me stupid but what does it do? :o

It kinda fires atoms at each other, like marbles but smaller :)

So can we all turn into knitted people like in Hitch-hikers guide to the Galaxy?! Sweet!

Ooh we can be sack people, yay :)

digitizedboy
27-08-08, 14:05
The problem, of course, is that even the eggheads don't really know what's going to happen.

That's nice to know we're in safe hands then. :D

dream raider
27-08-08, 14:07
Bring it on!

But is this utterly pointless, stupid, or what? I find no purpose for it whatsoever.

tlr online
27-08-08, 14:10
According to Wikipedia, the lawsuit was dismissed (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Large_Hadron_Collider#cite_note-NYT2008.2F06.2F27-32).

Rivendell
27-08-08, 14:10
there is a tiny chance that anything will occur

Roll on opening a gateway to another dimension! :p

Drone
27-08-08, 14:14
ok, I call Gordon Freeman now :wve:

toxicraider
27-08-08, 14:15

avalon and the underworld :)

violentblossom
27-08-08, 14:18
That's nice to know we're in safe hands then. :D

"What does this button do?"

toxicraider
27-08-08, 14:21
^:vlol:

BBC4 Radio will be broadcasting "Big Bang Day" on September 10 to coincide with LHC being switched on. Included in this event will be a radio episode of the BBC show Torchwood with a plot surrounding the LHC.

lol that will make people feel really secure [/sarcasm]

digitizedboy
27-08-08, 14:22
"what does this button do?"

lol

interstellardave
27-08-08, 14:24
Based on the sheer fact that scientists admit they don't know what will happen--and that they don't know everything about what they're messing with (the whole reason behind this project) it is prudent to have concerns. Every prediction--and every reassurance, btw--is based on guesswork; scientific guesswork, but it's guessing nonetheless.

violentblossom
27-08-08, 15:03
Based on the sheer fact that scientists admit they don't know what will happen--and that they don't know everything about what they're messing with (the whole reason behind this project) it is prudent to have concerns. Every prediction--and every reassurance, btw--is based on guesswork; scientific guesswork, but it's guessing nonetheless.

its pretty scary, how technologically advanced civillization as whole is.. the fact that this thing was built is quite a testament to that, along with atom bombs, and the like.

rickybazire
27-08-08, 15:07
I saw the documentary on this, really amazing. Let's just hope good, and only good comes out of this.

nicola1986
27-08-08, 15:15
I don't know why but it reminds me of Half-Life... and we all know what happened there :cln:

What exactly is this thing supposed to do? I got the firing atoms at each other part but for what purpose? :o Sorry I'm an idiot you see :D

Shrantellatessa
27-08-08, 15:27
Youpiiiiiiii :jmp: We're finally gona live some interesting horror movie (reminds of The Black Hole, the movie) :yah:

Draco
27-08-08, 15:31
The LHC was built just to see what happens when it was turned on.

Kerrigan
27-08-08, 15:32
I'm really curious about how will this experiment turn out.It may cast a new light on Physics, but I guess the concern towards it has a basis.
Maybe it's childish to assume that LHC will create a strangelet or other anomalies that could endanger life on Earth, but it's natural to have a certain fear of the unknown.
I don't really believe in all the stuff that's been written about 2012, but I can't help thinking that maybe LHC will bring us some answers about time and Universe that could equal the spiritual and intellectual revolution which is supposed to take place at that time.

M.A.
27-08-08, 15:44
It may not generate black holes but I bet it can open a portal to Xen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xen_(Half-Life) ! :D (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xen_%28Half-Life%29)

I think we'll be fine as long as the person who handles the samples to be used in the experiment don't wear black rim glasses and and grow a goatee. :D

Anyway, starting from tonight, I'm sleeping with a crowbar by my side.... :D

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xen_%28Half-Life%29)

TombRaiderCool
27-08-08, 15:49
It might not generate black holes, but I still wouldn't like to risk an entire universe just to find out. Some questions are better left unanswered.

interstellardave
27-08-08, 15:52
It would be almost cool, in a way, if it did generate a small black hole--one that didn't live long, mind you--that would devour part of the apparatus or something, before winking out. Just imagine every scientist in the place ****ing their pants simultaneously! It would be shut down the next day too. :p

Forwen
27-08-08, 15:52
This makes me so frickin' awed. Do they let tourists in?

Thought not.

kthnxbai
27-08-08, 16:01
Isnt that like splitting atoms but worse?

It's splitting atoms...

taking those pieces

Making them go in circles REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY quickly and smashing them back together.

And possibly more dangerous.

It's got to do with the whole E=mc^2 thing.
that means that energy can change into matter and matter into energy.
But there must always be enough of both (or either) to satisfy the equation.

so when you split the atom, you get lotsa little tiny bits (hadrons, leptons, muons, things with funny names) and a whole load of energy.

BUT, a small amount of mass goes missing (that's where the whole load of energy comes from)

So, scientists hope to get all the little bits back together, which could potentially make vast amounts more energy that taking it apart

It's nuclear fusion instead of nuclear fission

So kinda the same but the complete opposite

It's actually quite fascinating

M.A.
27-08-08, 16:03
It would be almost cool, in a way, if it did generate a small black hole--one that didn't live long, mind you--that would devour part of the apparatus or something, before winking out. Just imagine every scientist in the place ****ing their pants simultaneously! It would be shut down the next day too. :p

I've been thinking, if a little tiny black hole do emerge, it will immediately suck up the space which it occupy at the time. If it then, err... "winked out"..., what will fill this void?

The space in the near vicinity! Then what would fill the new void?

It's like a domino effect....

Meh, maybe my imagination just running wild... :D

Kerrigan
27-08-08, 16:04

I read that they had already managed to generate small black holes, but they could only be maintained for a short time.Anyway, as soon as you think of a black hole on Earth, you can think of a few scenarios, like matter trapped in an endless cycle.

remote91
27-08-08, 16:04
*Stares with mouth open*

It's pretty..

kthnxbai
27-08-08, 16:07
I've been thinking, if a little tiny black hole do emerge, it will immediately suck up the space which it occupy at the time. If it then, err... "winked out"..., what will fill this void?

It's pretty much impossible for a black hole to be 'winked out'

It's an unstoppable chain reaction and the forces involved are faaaaaar beyond anything that humans could ever control.

But this hypothetical situation is quite interesting.
I'd imagine the space-time fabric would just be distorted and fill in the gap

Nitro Typhoon
27-08-08, 16:10
That's nice, but... what exactly does it do? :p

rowanlim
27-08-08, 16:10
I'm just gonna hope that nothing bad will come out of this. Too terrified to get paranoid bout this :p

interstellardave
27-08-08, 16:23
It's pretty much impossible for a black hole to be 'winked out'

It's an unstoppable chain reaction and the forces involved are faaaaaar beyond anything that humans could ever control.

But this hypothetical situation is quite interesting.
I'd imagine the space-time fabric would just be distorted and fill in the gap

Black holes do "turn off" when there's nothing to feed on. And they do need mass to feed, that's why they theorize that a microscopic black hole would only exist for a millionth of a second or something like that.

There's always a fatalistic part of me that wants to see something more happen though... :p

Larapink
27-08-08, 16:26
:yik:

Is that the whole thing? it doesn't look very big in the photo :confused:
Are you so sure about the scale of it?

It looks massive! :eek:

Drone
27-08-08, 16:28
Are you so sure about the scale of it?

It looks massive! :eek:

whole that lhc structure is set inside a 27 km tunnel :wve:

Larapink
27-08-08, 16:32
whole that lhc structure is set inside a 27 km tunnel :wve:
:eek:

That's huge! :eek:

Drone
27-08-08, 16:37

That's huge! :eek:

Yup. That tunnel is a big ring (torus). They will send 2 beams of particles. One to one direction and other to the opposite. In the middle of the ring they collide and they'll see what happens there then :wve:

kthnxbai
27-08-08, 16:40
Black holes do "turn off" when there's nothing to feed on. And they do need mass to feed, that's why they theorize that a microscopic black hole would only exist for a millionth of a second or something like that.

There's always a fatalistic part of me that wants to see something more happen though... :p

true, but for practical purposes, anything big enough to have ANY effect on us can't be stopped...and, like you said, they only stop when there's nothing more there...which pretty much means the end of the universe, so I'm not really too bothered by what they do then

btw, they need either mass or energy.... and mass can be energy and energy can be mass etc etc

Elysia
27-08-08, 16:40
Cthulhu called - the shoggoths are getting fractious and he wants his ball back...

:D

interstellardave
27-08-08, 16:42
true, but for practical purposes, anything big enough to have ANY effect on us can't be stopped...and, like you said, they only stop when there's nothing more there...which pretty much means the end of the universe, so I'm not really too bothered by what they do then

It doesn't mean the end of the universe... just the end of whatever is w/in the even horizon. I don't know all the facts about it; and part of it is theory anyway, but... maybe we'll find out first hand! I'd like something scary and shocking to happen--but not something that would endanger the world, of course. I just think science needs a good punch in the mouth! :p

kthnxbai
27-08-08, 16:45
It doesn't mean the end of the universe... just the end of whatever is w/in the even horizon. I don't know all the facts about it; and part of it is theory anyway, but... maybe we'll find out first hand! I'd like something scary and shocking to happen--but not something that would endanger the world, of course. I just think science needs a good punch in the mouth! :p

Yeah, I get what you're saying

I'm talking more in the here and now and what we know of kinda aspect. Not sure this is the place and time to get into the nitty gritty of theoretical physics cause I would get sooooo very much off topic

It would be nice to observe a controlled one from a distance.....safely....

M.A.
27-08-08, 16:49
Any specific date on when the collision will take its course? I know it will be the coming September but what day?

So that I'll know how many days left to prepare..... :D

kthnxbai
27-08-08, 17:12
Apparently, according to CERN's website

13 days!

doesn't give us a lot of time, does it?

rickybazire
27-08-08, 17:24
Apparently, according to CERN's website

13 days!

doesn't give us a lot of time, does it?

Haha lol. 13 days to build a bunker to hide in when disaster strikes more like...:D

IceColdLaraCroft
27-08-08, 17:26
it reminds me of the ship from event horizon

Sir Croft
27-08-08, 17:27
The world being swallowed by a black hole? [CD moment] Ain't that EPIC? [/CD moment] :cln:

Seriously, I don't think anything bad is going to happen, but I'm quite shocked that they'd risk the whole solar system.
And damn, that thing is huge, I can see a tiny door in the end of that hole! :eek:

kthnxbai
27-08-08, 17:48
The world being swallowed by a black hole? [CD moment] Ain't that EPIC? [/CD moment] :cln:

Seriously, I don't think anything bad is going to happen, but I'm quite shocked that they'd risk the whole solar system.
And damn, that thing is huge, I can see a tiny door in the end of that hole! :eek:

That's the thing about physicists........ there's probably only a tiny minute chance that something cataclysmic will happen, but since they're physicists and there's a chance they won't say no for fear of being wrong lol

Goose
27-08-08, 19:31
Its not nice getting people worked up over stuff like that in the media, not everyone bothers to check things out, imagine how they look at this?

If the machine was called 'the Large Hardon Collider' instead of 'Hadron' i doubt anyone would be scared, or definatly not scared in the same way.

That's the thing about physicists........ there's probably only a tiny minute chance that something cataclysmic will happen, but since they're physicists and there's a chance they won't say no for fear of being wrong lol

Lol, for people with so much brain power between then, they should realise that if in the minute chance that somthing goes wrong, they wont have anyone left to explain it to!

EmeraldFields
27-08-08, 21:43
It might not generate black holes, but I still wouldn't like to risk an entire universe just to find out. Some questions are better left unanswered.

I couldn't agree with you more!:tmb:

stereopathic
27-08-08, 21:53
i'm holding out for the pocket version.

Cochrane
27-08-08, 22:02
Looking forward to finding out what this thing finds out. To be honest, the current state of sub-atomic particles is not fun. Thousands of different mesons and quarks and everything with thousands of different attributes, that's just not an elegant system. I'm no physicist, so I guess we just have to live with that mess, but if LHC found some way to make this more simple, I'd be quite happy.

Drone
27-08-08, 22:04
I wonder will they find "dark energy" via that collider?

Cochrane
27-08-08, 22:06
That would be nice. However, I guess the result will be something like this:

http://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/large_hadron_collider.png

trXD
27-08-08, 22:11
Oh god, if this dosent kill us then in a few years time we will make something else that has a chance of killing us. Humanity has doomed itself.

Though i dont really think this experiment will destroy the world mind you.

Drone
27-08-08, 22:20
interesting how many total people are working there? that thing can't be good for their .... forthcoming children :whi:

EmeraldFields
27-08-08, 22:21
That would be nice. However, I guess the result will be something like this:
[comic]

LOL!:vlol: I'm sure that's exactly how it will go!:D

Dakaruch
28-08-08, 18:32
I find it funny how so many people is scared of this, when the odds of something cataclysmic happening is smaller than winning the lottery.
The LHC is a great way to try to learn more about the universe, how it began, and how it is constituted.
Besides it can be an opportunity to create lots of energy by using only some small particles.
Also there are lots of other kinds of particle accelerators all over the world, and yet there was any kind of accident with those.
Even the old televisions used particle accelerators on a very basic form. If making two or more particles collide is so dangerous, then why did your televisions never exploded and created black holes?

The media is making this as "the end of the world", when it is just a physics experience that has a tiny chance of something going wrong. And in the way, they are making almost everyone scared about it...

Paperdoll
28-08-08, 18:42

I'm with Rowanlim... I'm too terrified to be paranoid XD

It may not generate black holes but I bet it can open a portal to Xen http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xen_(Half-Life) ! :D (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xen_%28Half-Life%29)

I think we'll be fine as long as the person who handles the samples to be used in the experiment don't wear black rim glasses and and grow a goatee. :D

Anyway, starting from tonight, I'm sleeping with a crowbar by my side.... :D

You and me bud :/ you and me...

And people are worrying about camel spiders.... pfft.... headcrabs are where it's at :D

http://developer.valvesoftware.com/w/images/5/54/Headcrab.jpg

MiCkiZ88
28-08-08, 18:54
*suddenly gets a huge urge to see his boyfriend before it's turned on*

I'm a bit worried about the whole thing. I saw a documentary about it, and I honestly don't see the huge deal in it. Just scientist playing with something that could possibly revolutionize science, do nothing, or possibly do something funky stuff that could doom us all. Mehh.. big deal. Not.

IceColdLaraCroft
28-08-08, 19:20
People from the future will use it to come through a portal and start

takingourjobs

tkorjbs

Paperdoll
28-08-08, 19:33

takingourjobs

tkorjbs

OMG! He/she's been possessed by some alien from another dimension already!

HALP!

Oh wait... they haven't turned the thing on yet XD

TRhalloween
28-08-08, 21:00

I'm with Rowanlim... I'm too terrified to be paranoid XD

You and me bud :/ you and me...

And people are worrying about camel spiders.... pfft.... headcrabs are where it's at :D

I know! I heard Gordon Freeman had to get them out with shampoo and a special comb!

Drone
28-08-08, 21:02
if you ain't ready for the lhc then the lhc is ready for you

Natey168
28-08-08, 21:25

takingourjobs

tkorjbs
:O They tk er jabs!

I dunno if I want them to turn it on or not... On one hand.. knowledge, on the other, sucking. (as in black hole) =\

Forwen
28-08-08, 21:27

takingourjobs

I died.

Draco
29-08-08, 02:00
I find it funny how so many people is scared of this, when the odds of something cataclysmic happening is smaller than winning the lottery.

Our planet won the Has Life Lottery, there is no reason to think it can't win the Loses Life Lottery as well.

Feather Duster
29-08-08, 05:43
Oh yay :rolleyes:

Kinda like the dude who killed his wife and then himself because his house was going to be foreclosed.

" She would'uv been devastated "

Nausinous
29-08-08, 09:55
Space travel?

M.A.
01-09-08, 17:40
Sorry to resurrect this thread but all of you viewing this thread should watch this video

Large Hadron Collider Rap

j50ZssEojtM

It explains a lot in it's own funny way.. :D

tampi
02-09-08, 23:03
I had not seen this thread:cool:. For years I have been deeply concerned(?)about the outcome of that.

The photos are incredible, never before had seen in such detail. :tmb:
I wonder who have asked to do this. We are paying this. For what?

Yes, yes, the experiment is absolutely interesting, but ...

They, we, are like children playing with lego, again:o

Heckler
02-09-08, 23:07
Ahhh theres my one way ticket to the 1930's!!!

touchmyheart
02-09-08, 23:09
I get a horrible feeling just from looking at the thing, let alone from hearing about what it does :o Ugh...really, i'd love to have been a fly on the wall at that meeting :p

TRhalloween
02-09-08, 23:15
Sounds like an evil plan that Natla would come up with! :eek:

tampi
02-09-08, 23:22
The entire mass in the universe is therefore made of only 24 particles. 6 quarks, 6 leptons, 6 antiquarks, 6 antileptons. The rest is light which is massless, and a few other funky things that hold it all together like the higgs, the W+/W-, The Z, gluons, and perhaps many more things we have not seen yet.
From here http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2884322&userid=98756

If this: "The entire mass in the universe is therefore made of only 24 particles. 6 quarks, 6 leptons, 6 antiquarks, 6 antileptons" it's not banaced then there are nothing balanced in the world. :confused:

mmmmmm.....

Dakaruch
02-09-08, 23:41
Our planet won the Has Life Lottery, there is no reason to think it can't win the Loses Life Lottery as well.

Lmao!
Life on Earth was not lottery. There were conditions that made it possible.
Besides who tell you that we are the only planet with life?
In a Universe with billions of stars, with many of them having a planetary system orbiting around that star, i think that it is at least a bit arrogant to think that we are the only race to live in such a big place.
With this said, i don't believe that we got the lottery, instead we are just another planet full with life...

Draco
03-09-08, 00:07
Lmao!

You again :wve:

Life on Earth was not lottery.

What else would you call the one in a million, billion, or trillion chance of life happening here if it was random chance rather than artificial means?

There were conditions that made it possible.

Of course, you have to enter the lottery to win it.

Besides who tell you that we are the only planet with life?

I happen to know and know of several hundred lottery winners.

In a Universe with billions of stars, with many of them having a planetary system orbiting around that star, i think that it is at least a bit arrogant to think that we are the only race to live in such a big place.

What makes you think I ever would entertain such a ludicrous notion as the one that says we are alone out here? I for one think the human race came from somewhere else, whether we colonized Earth or were planted here is irrelevant.

With this said, i don't believe that we got the lottery, instead we are just another planet full with life...

Okay, take the ratio of lottery winners (real ones, not the partial ones) and compare them to lottery losers, then take the ratio of life containing planets compared to the likely dead planets.

WTF else would you call it? It's random chance...aka lottery.

Dakaruch
03-09-08, 00:35
Well, i was agreeing until you talked about those dead planets.
Yeah, they are dead... Now. But how do we know that those did not had the conditions that made life possible there, many millions of years ago, and now those life forms are extinct?
If such a thing happened, then it wouldn't be a lottery, but it would be more like a cycle.

Anyway, i'm just saying that it is highly unlikely that the end of the world, the Armageddon, etc. is going to happen due to a scientific experience as common as this one. Once more i say that the LHC is a more complex particle accelerator, and those particle accelerators were used on the older televisions. I never saw one of those creating a black hole.

tlr online
04-09-08, 08:37
LHC First Beam on 10 September 2008. Live broadcast available.

http://lhc-first-beam.web.cern.ch/lhc-first-beam/Welcome.html

Apofiss
04-09-08, 09:03
http://media.popularmechanics.com/images/hadron-map-0607.jpg

Drone
04-09-08, 09:18
LHC First Beam on 10 September 2008. Live broadcast available.

http://lhc-first-beam.web.cern.ch/lhc-first-beam/Welcome.html

cool, let the show begin

tlr online
04-09-08, 09:38
Any last minute thoughts before we're all compressed to the size of a pin-head?

tomblover
04-09-08, 09:42
Stop scaring the **** outta me. :eek:

tlr online
04-09-08, 09:42
Stop scaring the **** outta me. :eek:

Nothing to be scared about. It'll be over in a milli-second. :p

Drone
04-09-08, 09:43
if that thing reveals the dark energy I'm only happy. Scientists dreamt of that for ages.
It can explain the creation of time and space. It could shut many morons and their dull theories up once and for all :)

tomblover
04-09-08, 09:45
Nothing to be scared about. It'll be over in a milli-second. :p I guess so. :o :p

Orionvalentine
04-09-08, 09:55
The thing is, this piece of equipment scares the living poop out of me. There is nothing that anybody can say to make me less scared about this, and the idiots turning it on...

tlr online
04-09-08, 09:57
The thing is, this piece of equipment scares the living poop out of me. There is nothing that anybody can say to make me less scared about this, and the idiots turning it on...

You know what will happen? Absolutely nothing. It's just the media selling newspapers. :)

Heckler
04-09-08, 09:59
if that thing reveals the dark energy I'm only happy. Scientists dreamt of that for ages.
It can explain the creation of time and space. It could shut many morons and their dull theories up once and for all :)

Yes....by killing them.....:mis:

Orionvalentine
04-09-08, 10:03
You know what will happen? Absolutely nothing. It's just the media selling newspapers. :)

So it doesn't scare you at all? Not even a morsel of lingering doubt? Fear?

Heckler
04-09-08, 10:06
Howcome we havent seen a pic of the real big thing ey?
That thing in the pic is tiny....compared to 27 kilometers...
do the math....
Its April fools in September

MiCkiZ88
04-09-08, 10:15
Any last minute thoughts before we're all compressed to the size of a pin-head?
Gimme money.

St4r
04-09-08, 10:38
Got a black hole right with me, so nothing to be afraid of. :D

Archetype
04-09-08, 10:42
If they can do this then I want a giant slingshot in my back garden to fire people off into the sun..

Dakaruch
04-09-08, 10:43
So it doesn't scare you at all? Not even a morsel of lingering doubt? Fear?

The LHC is just a gigantic version of a particle accelerator (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Particle_accelerator)
Particle accelerators are a common thing. None of them have ever created the end of the world.

If you don't believe how big it is, then just check this picture where you can see it's height. It is the size of 4 floors.

http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x200/Dakaruch/CMS_nytimes.jpg

Drone
04-09-08, 13:09
Yes....by killing them.....:mis:

haha maybe. nobody knows. I just hope all that stuff ain't a waste of money and lives

ramos94
05-09-08, 16:27
i hate sience:mad:

Draco
05-09-08, 16:35
Well, i was agreeing until you talked about those dead planets.
Yeah, they are dead... Now. But how do we know that those did not had the conditions that made life possible there, many millions of years ago, and now those life forms are extinct?
If such a thing happened, then it wouldn't be a lottery, but it would be more like a cycle.

Anyway, i'm just saying that it is highly unlikely that the end of the world, the Armageddon, etc. is going to happen due to a scientific experience as common as this one. Once more i say that the LHC is a more complex particle accelerator, and those particle accelerators were used on the older televisions. I never saw one of those creating a black hole.

You seem to think the universe was engineered...which means you won't see it as random chance that life happened here...am I wrong?

kthnxbai
06-09-08, 13:09

BLASPHEMER!!!

j/k

Why so?

This thing is more or less completely safe....

As I said before....people who work at CERN are some of the world greatest minds

They probably won't destroy the whole world...

And if they do, you won't know any different

Tthe Spirit
06-09-08, 14:11
ok, i didnt understand much...
but i dont find it to be something that safe...

:confused::confused:

interstellardave
06-09-08, 14:19
This isn't anywhere near as scary to me as nanotechnology is. If any human-made thing ****s up the Earth, that will.

kthnxbai
06-09-08, 14:21
ok, i didnt understand much...
but i dont find it to be something that safe...

:confused::confused:

K, if something MAJOR goes wrong and its all cataclysmic, I'll give you all my worldy possessions k

jackali
06-09-08, 14:25
This isn't anywhere near as scary to me as nanotechnology is. If any human-made thing ****s up the Earth, that will.

Yeah... but since we still don't entirely know what this will actually do... there might not be an Earth left to ruin.

Spikey
06-09-08, 14:36
Woo, 4 days to go. :p

Hopefully though, it won't cause a wormhole into a parallel dimension, and at most just cause a tiny little black hole that sucks up a few pencils and then disappears. :D

(but in all seriousness, I'd rather they didn't do these tests at all :pi: )

interstellardave
06-09-08, 14:46
Like I said before at one point in this thread... I hope something unexpected does happen... not something cataclysmic, but something that scares the crap out of the scientists there.

It would have two benefits:

1. The scientists would probably learn a great deal from it, ultimately.
2. They'd be a little less sure of themselves. Science, at times, seems to be as rigid and arrogant as religion has ever been. The scientific method has always been sound, but Science, as an institution, is often as flawed as any human institutions are. It needs a good kick in the pants IMO.

Nannonxyay
06-09-08, 16:32
I hope it sucks up some smug scientist and shows them that things like this shouldn't be screwed with.

violentblossom
07-09-08, 14:32
I hope it sucks up some smug scientist and shows them that things like this shouldn't be screwed with.

and as he's going, hopefully he'll shriek "To infinity, and BEYOND!"

Lara Croft Fan Joe
07-09-08, 14:32
Yay, we are going to risk the earth in order to find out about some particle that only a few maniacs care about. I doubt anything will happen, but the fact that they are going ahead with this, considering the risk (however small, it is still there), is a little reckless and rather selfish. Why do we have to know everything anyway? Geez, some things are best kept a mystery.

remote91
07-09-08, 14:36
Yay, we are going to risk the earth in order to find out about some particle that only a few maniacs care about. I doubt anything will happen, but the fact that they are going ahead with this, considering the risk (however small, it is still there), is a little reckless and rather selfish. Why do we have to know everything anyway? Geez, some things are best kept a mystery.
I completely agree.

Some things just shouldnt be messed with.

dizzydoil
07-09-08, 14:36
I want something to happen now, tbh. :wve:

3Jane
07-09-08, 14:52
I completely agree.

Some things just shouldnt be messed with.

ROFLMAO, read some books kid.

Sharon_14
07-09-08, 14:55
We'll see, if the world will be destroyed I will post the last massage here, I promise! wait... NO!

violentblossom
07-09-08, 14:57

no need to be rude.

i agree with him. people should stop playing God already.. especially when it comes to things like this.

remote91
07-09-08, 14:57
Hmm..

**** you?

Kthxbi.

Tthe Spirit
07-09-08, 15:04
Crazy... :D:D:D

i just want to play TRU before the world ends...

Dark Lugia 2
07-09-08, 15:29
I just watched Alien: Resurrection now, it reminds me of this situation :p
What does this thing do anyway? No black holes please :o

MiCkiZ88
07-09-08, 15:34
Yay, we are going to risk the earth in order to find out about some particle that only a few maniacs care about. I doubt anything will happen, but the fact that they are going ahead with this, considering the risk (however small, it is still there), is a little reckless and rather selfish. Why do we have to know everything anyway? Geez, some things are best kept a mystery.My opinion exactly. Tbh I'm getting paranoid of the whole thing.. and as the launch day gets nearer, I feel the incredible urge to hop on the plane and see my bf before anything happens. Heh..

I hope nothing will happen, but if nothing (absolutely nothing.. a complete waste of hundreds of billions of €) happens, I wonder if they will try creating something even bigger and more dangerous? You know.. just cause they can. It's like kids experimenting something and not even knowing what will happen. Do they actually KNOW what will happen? Ah science is built on experiments anyways.

Cochrane
07-09-08, 15:42
What does this thing do anyway? No black holes please :o

Good question, the one that people always forget to ask. Like any particle accelerator, it takes sub-atomic particles of various forms, such as electrons, neutrons or the like (sometimes even entire atoms, but that takes a lot of energy) and, well, accelerates them, going around in a huge circle that lies on the border between Switzerland and France. Many experiments will be done there, but the basic idea of each and every one of them is to have two such particle streams, let them collide and see what happens. The idea is that under such high forces, the particles will dissolve into smaller particles, and those will then be received by huge detectors.

Experiments of this kind have been going on for decades, and have been going on at CERN long before this already. The difference is that the LHC is simply the largest of it's kind yet. It'll produce higher energy particle streams and has higher precision detectors, so you can create smaller particle fractions than ever before.

@Most of this thread: I don't think that there are things that should be left a mystery. I think thinking that is harmful to the development of the human race as a whole. What's the point in having brains that can understand the universe better than anyone else if we don't try to do so? What's the point in living if the world remains the same as it was before? Creating black holes (which doesn't happen here, damn it) is a little extreme, yes, but that's about methods, not about what we should know and what not.

pinklaralover
07-09-08, 15:45
Oh god. I am worried a bit, although i'm not with the whole 'the worlds gonna end in 2012' but this... A black whole... hmmm...

I don't know why you people are actually looking forward to it though?!

Dark Lugia 2
07-09-08, 15:52
Wow, thanks for the detail :D *does some research*
So this thing can create a black hole if someone wanted to, or is that what people think could happen when the streams collide?

Forwen
07-09-08, 16:01
Any idea if the startup's going to be broadcast somewhere? I know BBC Radio's doing it and it's gonna be broadcast here (http://webcast.cern.ch/) but that's about it.

dream raider
07-09-08, 16:03

My thoughts exactly! :tmb:

Titanium
07-09-08, 18:04
We should have enough time to call them *******s before we get sucked into the hole. :p

Elysia
07-09-08, 18:18
Oh, where's your sense of adventure and discovery, everyone?! :p

If we are indeed hurtling headlong towards the apocalypse (which I *seriously* doubt, and so would everyone here if they actually understood a fraction of the science going on behind this thing... there is more chance of you winning the Lottery jackpot every single day for a whole year than the LHC destroying life as we know it!), I'd rather go this way, in the spirit of discovery, than by blowing each other to smithereens in some war (which is much, much more likely at the end of the day).

Bring it on, I say! :D Let's push the boundaries and go get discovering! :D

toxicraider
07-09-08, 18:54
Hmm wouldn't there be more chance the whole thing exploding and destroying europe than causing a black hole?
I hope it's not instant so we can partay before we die :yah:

God Horus
07-09-08, 19:29
Hmm wouldn't there be more chance the whole thing exploding and destroying europe than causing a black hole?
I hope it's not instant so we can partay before we die :yah:

:vlol: Would you party of would you spend your last few minutes with your loved ones?

Cochrane
07-09-08, 19:43
Wow, thanks for the detail :D *does some research*
So this thing can create a black hole if someone wanted to, or is that what people think could happen when the streams collide?

The latter. The LHC doesn't have a "black hole creation" setting, but some scientists think that it is possible that it happens by accident. Most scientists think it's not reasonably possible, and those who do think that it is possible generally admit that the chances are very small. At the end of the day, of course things will happen that haven't been predicted. That's what the thing is meant to do. However, scientists have a general idea what will happen (that's how they were able to design it as precisely in the first place), and the scientific consensus is that black-hole creation is not going to happen.

Drone
07-09-08, 22:10

why? Science never hurt mankind. It helps understand the truth and answers the questions. It helps people be sensible and not worship every crap but it also helps people not be blind. In modern world religions support the science too.

People who abuse the science to achieve their dirty and ugly goals ain't scientists. They're hardly humans. Same as butchers who rip people on organs. They are not doctors

M.A.
09-09-08, 06:18
So everybody ready yet? Packed your rations? Gathered your survival kit? Got yourself a decent crowbar? :D

Because LHC will be used for the first first attempt to circulate a beam through the entire LHC tomorrow (10 September) at 0730 GMT (according to the paper I read today :whi:)!!

Yeah! Finally!!

Tho the first collision would not be taking place until 21 October 2008...

Damn.. what taking so long..? I want to see a black hole already..:D Or at least a portal to Xen..:D

Cheers!

JamesFKirk
09-09-08, 06:58
Large Hadron Collider

The media is correctly reporting that some physicists believe that the Large Hadron Collider might produce mini black holes in its collisions, and that black holes are in general so powerful that they can swallow up not just the Earth, but whole star systems. The media also correctly reported that physicists, when pressed, cannot completely dismiss the chance of being eaten alive by these mini black holes from the LHC.

This in turn has sparked some rather sensational headlines, leading up to a lawsuit filed in the US District Court in Hawaii in March, where seven people are asking for a court injunction to stop the experiments at the LHC, stating that the mini black holes it produces could grow by swallowing matter until they become large enough to swallow up the entire Earth. Although the equipment is based in Europe, and is hence outside the jurisdiction of US law, many of its large magnets and key components come from the US. The lawsuit could, theoretically, cripple the project.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/science/2008/jun/30/cern.particlephysics1

:hea:

Why does this even raise a concern? The Earth has been hit on daily basis by cosmic radiation with energies orders higher than what LHC will produce - and that went on for nearly 5 billion years. Unless this is a mass illusion of some sort, I can really tell the Earth is still here.

As for the black hole concern - like TLR said, there's immensly small chance that ANYTHING might happen, but that chance is applied to everything that happens - even a single hit by a bat during baseball game might produce a stable black hole, with just about the same probability as the LHC. Funny that nobody ever noticed that. Why don't we file a lawsuit against all the baseball clubs for endangering the humanity?

Goose
09-09-08, 08:22
:hea:

Why does this even raise a concern? The Earth has been hit on daily basis by cosmic radiation with energies orders higher than what LHC will produce - and that went on for nearly 5 billion years. Unless this is a mass illusion of some sort, I can really tell the Earth is still here.

As for the black hole concern - like TLR said, there's immensly small chance that ANYTHING might happen, but that chance is applied to everything that happens - even a single hit by a bat during baseball game might produce a stable black hole, with just about the same probability as the LHC. Funny that nobody ever noticed that. Why don't we file a lawsuit against all the baseball clubs for endangering the humanity?

Its all to sell papers or get views/hits. Half the stuff is so exadurated, i remember recently there was a documentry about these weather manipulating devices we now have, saying that the hurricanes america is having could have been casued by them. In reality, the hurricanes were dampened by them, but that doesnt sell well.

Dakaruch
09-09-08, 11:53

Exactly.
There is also a small chance that when you hit a wall you might pass through it, and yet i've never heard anyone saying that walked through a wall.
This whole thing is a media campaign to sell, and in the process creating unnecessary preoccupation to almost everyone.
They don't care about explaining to people what really is going to happen, and instead they twist most of this news in order to create sensationalistic news... This is getting ridiculous.

Legend of Lara
09-09-08, 13:15
Can't say I'm not worried, but I hope for the best.

violentblossom
09-09-08, 13:17
why? Science never hurt mankind.

haven't you seen Terminator? :ton:

DREWY
09-09-08, 13:39
. Black holes suck.

History was built on chance. This is just another example. And hey, if they're wrong, who cares? We'll all be 5mm high!

tranniversary119
09-09-08, 14:09
I don't want to get stretched to huge heights but I guess it's an easy way to die fast and maybe a bit painful :p So when is this thing starting any day now? *hides*

pinklaralover
09-09-08, 15:25
Today I felt like it was a load of crap, but now, I feel more insicure... Just the feeling of waking up getting ready to go to school, being at school and It happening terrifies me.

If its true, I'll miss you all, and I love you all, Tomorrow, here we come :(
:hug: :wve:

Rivendell
09-09-08, 15:28
It was shown on BBC before, it got me quite excited - even though I've next to no clue how it works and I'm never usually interested in such things.
But it's MASSIVE! And it sounds so cool!

TRhalloween
09-09-08, 15:29
i heard they've stopped it because of a law suit. :confused:

Draco
09-09-08, 15:36
i heard they've stopped it because of a law suit. :confused:

Which has long been thrown out of court.

M.A.
09-09-08, 15:38
Guys, you can all relax!

Tomorrow is the first time they gonna try to get the beam to run in a circle.

The first colision won't happen until 21st October.

So we have two weeks to fully prepare..... :D

Cheers..

TR93
09-09-08, 15:41
My school has been going crazy over this for weeks:p

I'm not so worried...yet:p

Cochrane
09-09-08, 15:55
Apparently it's all even worse: :D

Lt1Yo610lG0

Warning: If you take this guy seriously, you'll be put on my ignore list.

Seriously, unless he's joking, being that uninformed takes skill. At least he got right what a circle is...

James_Rutland
09-09-08, 16:33
What proof do we have that the world WONT end?

Legend of Lara
09-09-08, 16:38

None, but all the other LHC experiments weren't exactly successful. ;)

nickless
09-09-08, 16:40

well none.i seriously hope it doesn't end but i'm still interested what is a black hole like? :D

tomb raider 22
09-09-08, 16:41
the world wont end they wouldnt do it if they knew everyone was gunna die :p

Cochrane
09-09-08, 16:46

At all, because of the overpopulation of baseball bats, or because of the LHC? The answer is "none" for all of them.

Draco
09-09-08, 17:27
Of course the world will end. Just not today.

Atlantisfreak666
09-09-08, 17:29
Bring it on, *****.
:jmp:

b0bb13
09-09-08, 17:50
http://estb.msn.com/i/D8/96EDFA104A859D12C030DEB374D64C.jpg
I don't wanna die,y'all!http://www.unity.i8i.co.uk/forum/images/smiley_cry.gif

*hurries to find all teh flags in Assassin's Creed before the world ends*
http://www.wedoourownstunts.com/forum/images/smilies/runSmiley.gif

Nannonxyay
09-09-08, 17:52
I'm getting sick of all the kids as school talking about this. Some girl even cried, the silly cow. I mean, for god's sakes. It's not going to happen. Everything will be fine.

touchthesky
09-09-08, 17:59
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/science/article4715761.ece

If he says it won't happen..it won't happen!

“If the LHC were to produce little black holes, I don’t think there’s any doubt I would get a Nobel prize, if they showed the properties I predict,” Professor Hawking told the Today programme. “However, I think the probability that the LHC has enough energy to create black holes is less than one per cent, so I’m not holding my breath.

Forwen
09-09-08, 17:59
I'm loving this thread so goddamn much :D

The first colision won't happen until 21st October.

So we have two weeks to fully prepare..... :D

Cheers..

Dood, you're openly broadcasting to us from the future and you're worried about some puny particle accelerator?

What proof do you have that if I push this button (or this... or this) the dragons won't swallow Europe whole? What proof do you have that warrgargarbl?

Seriously people, keep them comin', only some 12 hours left! :D

TRhalloween
09-09-08, 18:39
I'm getting sick of all the kids as school talking about this. Some girl even cried, the silly cow. I mean, for god's sakes. It's not going to happen. Everything will be fine.

HAHA she's pathetic, tell her I hate her.

Everyone at my school was talking about it too. So annoying.

ajrich17901
09-09-08, 18:41
Honestly, i dont give a crap about this machine lmao, as long as it doesnt end the world then i realy dont care do what u will.

Cochrane
09-09-08, 18:54
Honestly, i dont give a crap about this machine lmao, as long as it doesnt end the world then i realy dont care do what u will.

Sad, really. I don't mean just you, but it seems that if people care at all, only because of sensationalist end-of-world crap. Nobody seems the slightest interested in the science that will be done there, the discoveries possible and what that means for our view of the world. Nearly no website even tries to explain what's happening. Humanity won't end because of this experiment, it will end because people stop caring.

tlr online
09-09-08, 18:58
Sad, really. I don't mean just you, but it seems that if people care at all, only because of sensationalist end-of-world crap. Nobody seems the slightest interested in the science that will be done there, the discoveries possible and what that means for our view of the world. Nearly no website even tries to explain what's happening. Humanity won't end because of this experiment, it will end because people stop caring.

I'm very interested in what we might discover from this experiment, and I'll be jacked into the live webcast tomorrow. Not that I expect we'll see any fruits for quite some time. But when you think about what's going to happen tomorrow.... just wow.

TombRaiderCool
09-09-08, 19:00
This experiment might do a lot of good.
I have heard in reports that supposedly by conducting this experiment they might find out what it was like during the beginning of planet Earth, recreate the Big Bang and time travel.

tlr online
09-09-08, 19:01
This experiment might do a lot of good.
I have heard in reports that supposedly by conducting this experiment they might find out what it was like during the beginning of planet Earth, recreate the Big Bang and time travel.

Well it's all hypothesis atm. I did wonder, however, if this 'end of the world' spin was something doctored by CERN to generate a bit of PR, you know? I mean, I have to say, CERN suck at PR. Seriously.

Drone
09-09-08, 19:01
always wondered will they eventually find a graviton. that'd be amazing to have a full control over the gravity field

scion05
09-09-08, 19:02
Can someone please tell me when this is due to start ? :)

touchthesky
09-09-08, 19:02
^8.30am gmt

They hope to have the thing at a higher thingy by the end of the year.

I will be walking to college when this thing gets turned on!

:D.

"If the apocalypse comes...beep me."

remote91
09-09-08, 19:04
^8.30am gmt

They hope to have the thing at a higher thingy by the end of the year.

I will be walking to college when this thing gets turned on!

:D.

"If the apocalypse comes...beep me."
Sixth form briefing will just be starting.

So if the world is gonna end, I hope it's instant.

tlr online
09-09-08, 19:04
Can someone please tell me when this is due to start ? :)

I'll get you the webcast links...

http://webcast.cern.ch/index.html

Here you go.

TombRaiderCool
09-09-08, 19:05
Well it's all hypothesis atm. I did wonder, however, if this 'end of the world' spin was something doctored by CERN to generate a bit of PR, you know? I mean, I have to say, CERN suck at PR. Seriously.

It could be. The media however, where I live anyway seemed to blame eco groups.

tlr online
09-09-08, 19:06
Basically, when you see the sky turn black and fold in on itself, they switched it on. :wve:

remote91
09-09-08, 19:08
Basically, when you see the sky turn black and fold in on itself, they switched it on. :wve:
With the weather being as it is, it's gonna be hard to tell where I live.

TombRaiderCool
09-09-08, 19:08

Out of curiosity, Justin, do you believe tomorrow is the end and all that black holes stuff?

tlr online
09-09-08, 19:09
Justin, do you believe tomorrow is the end and all that black holes stuff?

Nah. Of course not. I'm just being ironic. Tomorrow will be a great day for science. I'm really excited about it. :)

Legend of Lara
09-09-08, 19:09
Well, we'll have to wait and see. I wanna live to see another wondrous Friday! :D

remote91
09-09-08, 19:10
Nah. Of course not. I'm just being ironic. Tomorrow will be a great day for science. :)
But say it is the end of the world.. what colour shirt should I wear?

I wanna go out in style :cool:

tlr online
09-09-08, 19:11
But say it is the end of the world.. what colour shirt should I wear?

I wanna go out in style :cool:

See. This is the thing. Should I shower tomorrow when I get up? I mean, that's wasted minutes right? Why shower for the apocalypse. The flip side, however, is that I wanna be clean when I meet my maker.

I'll probably have a light breakfast tho. I mean, when I get sucked into the ethereal, I'd like a nice smooth transition to the next place. ;)

Drone
09-09-08, 19:12
that always made me laugh. got caught in a black hole doens't mean you're dead it's rather you were backwards born

remote91
09-09-08, 19:13
See. This is the thing. Should I shower tomorrow when I get up? I mean, that's wasted minutes right? Why shower for the apocalypse. The flip side, however, is that I wanna be clean when I meet my maker.

I'll probably have a light breakfast tho. I mean, when I get sucked into the ethereal, I'd like a nice smooth transition to the next place. ;)
I'd say make yourself nice and clean. Just so peoples last thoughts will be 'Wow, Justin looks good toda-OH ****!'

touchthesky
Sixth form briefing will just be starting.

So if the world is gonna end, I hope it's instant.

Lulz.

I hope so too...if I arrive at college tomorrow I'll have to have a wee dance.

TombRaiderCool
Nah. Of course not. I'm just being ironic. Tomorrow will be a great day for science. I'm really excited about it. :)

When I quoted you I did realise that, I meant on a whole. :D
But I am glad you see the positive side of this. :tmb:
I must admit when I first heard about this I was panicking a bit, but now I know much more info now and began to realise that this is a good thing. :)

remote91
09-09-08, 19:14
Lulz.

I hope so too...if I arrive at college tomorrow I'll have to have a wee dance.
Hell yeah, lets celebrate. Everyone is going at once :p

tlr online
09-09-08, 19:16
When I quoted you I did realise that, I meant on a whole. :D
But I am glad you see the positive side of this. :tmb:
I must admit when I first heard about this I was panicking a bit, but now I know much more info now and began to realise that this is a good thing. :)

Well one day, of course it will happen. Each year, the moon inches closer to Earth. If an asteroid doesn't wipe out life on Earth, then the moon will eventually. However by that time, we will have populated numerous planets.

jamieoliver22
09-09-08, 19:17
What time tomorrow is it happening (GMT)? So that way, I can get myself ready (ya know, have something to eat, put the dog out) and brace myself :p

tlr online
What time tomorrow is it happening (GMT)? So that way, I can get myself ready (ya know, have something to eat, put the dog out) and brace myself :p

8AM our time Jamie. It's 9AM CEST (+2 GMT) and we are British Summer Time, which is +1 GMT. So 8AM for us.

TombRaiderCool
Well one day, of course it will happen. Each year, the moon inches closer to Earth. If an asteroid doesn't wipe out life on Earth, then the moon will eventually. However by that time, we will have populated numerous planets.

Or perhaps science will one day be our destruction but hopefully just not tomorrow.

jamieoliver22
09-09-08, 19:19
8AM our time Jamie. It's 9AM CEST (+2 GMT) and we are British Summer Time, which is +1 GMT. So 8AM for us.

Cheers :wve: In less than 12 hours then. At least I shall be in bed by then.

remote91
09-09-08, 19:20
Oh so it isnt half 8?

I refuse to die on a bus full of school children.

touchthesky
09-09-08, 19:20

8? Oh I'll still be on the train then! Nice and pre-occupied.

I am excited.

This could be huge!

Imagine if dinosaurs DID come from it :P.

remote91
09-09-08, 19:21

I am excited.

This could be huge!

Well Lara taught us how to kill them, so no problems.

tlr online
09-09-08, 19:21

I am excited.

This could be huge!

Imagine if Half Life happened. W00t!

"Rise and shine, Mister Freeman, rise and... shine"

TombRaiderCool
09-09-08, 19:22
8am is just 10 minutes before I leave for morning classes, I will probably be walking to the train when it is turned on. Not quite the way I imagined to die. :(

jamieoliver22
09-09-08, 19:23

That would be so amazing :D

tranniversary119
09-09-08, 19:23
I'm not nervous just curious/excited. Interesting to see what this could bring.

Drone
09-09-08, 19:24
it wasn't collider in half-life it was different case

tlr online
it wasn't collider in half-life it was different case

:vlol:

I'm joking, Drone. :p

touchthesky
I'm not nervous just curious/excited. Interesting to see what this could bring.

I was really nervous a few days ago but since reading non-tabloid related stories about it I'm now EXTREMELY optimistic.

This glass is half full, baby!

God Horus
09-09-08, 19:25
I don't feel nervous either...but if it does cause the end of the world, I hope I can do some of the things I've always wanted to do before everyone dies!

b0bb13
09-09-08, 19:26

Oh noes!I'll be asleep at that time.:(

But on a TV show it said that even if something would go wrong,it would take more time for the whole world to be destroyed.They also mentioned 2012.:D

Drone
09-09-08, 19:26

I'm joking, Drone. :p

and I'm serious :D Quantum teleportation (just like in hl) is theoretically possible

Gregori
09-09-08, 19:32
Its actually possible... they do it with photons and electrons atm...

tlr online
09-09-08, 19:34

Oh? This is news to me.

TombRaiderCool
09-09-08, 19:35
Oh? This is news to me.

So Justin you hoping ELEN comes back online tonight just incase. :D ;)

Drone
09-09-08, 19:37

they do normal teleportation with photons. They teleported 10 photons from one Danube shore to another

but Quantum Teleportation is still only theory.

Cochrane
09-09-08, 20:01

Ah yes, reminds me of a picture I found on the web: http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc7/_D3MO_/1220699909412.jpg

(not by me)

God Horus
09-09-08, 20:06
Ah yes, reminds me of a picture I found on the web: http://i215.photobucket.com/albums/cc7/_D3MO_/1220699909412.jpg

(not by me)

-off topic- Does anyone know if Elen had her baby yet?

James_Rutland
09-09-08, 20:18
I'm quite worried about this thing?

Lara Croft Fan Joe
09-09-08, 20:18
At least seeing the universe implode will lighten up my wednesday morning walk up to school :vlol:

Cochrane
09-09-08, 20:21
I'm quite worried about this thing?

Short version: No reason to be.

Drone
09-09-08, 20:23
At least seeing the universe implode will lighten up my wednesday morning walk up to school :vlol:

don't wonder if you'll meet 4 armed cops on the street :D

God Horus
09-09-08, 20:25
Here's an interesting article I read:

On September 10, 2008, unless some legal action stops it, the Large Hadron Collider will be turned on and could be followed by the End of the World in October. Whatever the case, the most powerful atom-smasher ever built comes online Wednesday, eagerly anticipated by scientists worldwide who have awaited this moment for two decades.
The Large Hadron Collider, costing 9 billion dollars funded by many nations utilizing over 7,000 scientists, 20 years in the making, is the world’s largest and the highest-energy particle accelerator in the world and will come as close as we’ve ever come to recreating the big bang, the theory that a colossal explosion created the universe.
I don’t know what any of that means but the thing to be concerned about is that in about a month after the first beams of protons are fired, they will then be traveling in opposite directions and meet and collide and possibly create “micro black holes” and start the end of the world.
So in plain English, if things go on schedule, the end of the World could become reality sometime after October 10 and it looks like none of us can do anything about it. What’s going to happen to the Superbowl? I hope this blog turns up all wrong.

Forwen
09-09-08, 21:36
Waitwaitwaitwait!

I can has gravity gun?

tlr online
09-09-08, 21:45
I can has gravity gun?

b0bb13
09-09-08, 21:49
@God Horus
1)October?Yay!I can play Silent Hill 5!:D
2)9 bbb...bbbbb...billion dollars?!They could had done something useful with those money.Millions of people are starving and have no homes and they spend 9 billion dollars on the end of the world.:mad::rolleyes:
3)October 10th?!OMFG!LittleBigPlanet comes out on the 21st.0_o

(not by me)

Priceless!:D

-off topic- Does anyone know if Elen had her baby yet?

I have no idea.But if she has,I can't wait to see some pics.:hug:

Waitwaitwaitwait!

I can has gravity gun?

Lmao!:vlol:

Drone
09-09-08, 21:50
nope wait! gravity gun can has you!

Rivendell
09-09-08, 21:51
I can't wait for news of what they find out from doing this. :D When they do talk about their discoveries, I bet I won't understand what they talk about anyway! :whi:

Forwen
09-09-08, 21:54

What about a portal gun then! And from here, a cake joke is usually inevitable!

NightWish
09-09-08, 21:55
this is all so pointless...

Forwen
09-09-08, 21:58

Yeah, CRT is outdated anyway. Now we have LCD!

HolidayCroft
09-09-08, 21:58
are we going to die i dont want to die

tlr online
09-09-08, 21:59

Our forum exists because of the invention of the computer in 1948. CERN wants to prove the existance of the Higgs Boson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson) (God particle), and in the process will probably redefine our understanding of the Universe. How can this be a bad thing?

HolidayCroft
09-09-08, 22:00
that we could die

MrBear
09-09-08, 22:04
that we could die

You can die being squashed by a whale, but do you worry about that too? ;) lighten up, not many things are worth worrying about :)

HolidayCroft
09-09-08, 22:05
yeah but im young and want to live so what that im worried i just dont want to die or be sucked into a black hole why are they doing this

b0bb13
09-09-08, 22:10

What about a portal gun then! And from here, a cake joke is usually inevitable!

That would be so cool!:D
*stops himself*
:p

Our forum exists because of the invention of the computer in 1948. CERN wants to prove the existance of the Higgs Boson (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson) (God particle), and in the process will probably redefine our understanding of the Universe. How can this be a bad thing?

Ooooh,that sounds interesting.:)

HolidayCroft
09-09-08, 22:14
Is anyone nervous and scared about it and dose not want it to be done what if they mess up they just cant leave our lives at the stake

Rivendell
09-09-08, 22:15
yeah but im young and want to live so what that im worried i just dont want to die or be sucked into a black hole why are they doing this

Do you really think they've not done their research on this? That they've quickly whipped up this big project and said "Oh, by the way - it might kill everyone and destroy the universe, but we thought we'd try it anyway."

When the chance is so small, that - for example - there's more of a chance that you could randomly disintergrate whilst on the toilet at any given time, than the universe going kaput because of the LHC, there's no reason to worry.

The media pick up on things like 'End of the world' to sell stories, and generally pick at the fear of people who - for example - buy The Sun newspaper or the Daily Star.

Titties, and the End of the World. It's gonna sell.

Forwen
09-09-08, 22:18
When the chance is so small, that - for example - there's more of a chance that you could randomly disintergrate whilst on the toilet at any given time, than the universe going kaput because of the LHC, there's no reason to worry.

Shhhh, just don't mention spontaneous combustion ;)

Gregori
09-09-08, 22:19
According to the Theory, there is little chance of this happening. We'll know if the theory is wrong in a few days..

HolidayCroft
09-09-08, 22:20
when is it happening anyway

ivannnnn
09-09-08, 22:20
We 'apparently' like this thing. :D :whi:

b0bb13
09-09-08, 22:21
Is anyone nervous and scared about it and dose not want it to be done what if they mess up they just cant leave our lives at the stake

As MrBear said,you could die anytime,and not because of the collider thingy.;)

Do you really think they've not done their research on this? That they've quickly whipped up this big project and said "Oh, by the way - it might kill everyone and destroy the universe, but we thought we'd try it anyway."

The media pick up on things like 'End of the world' to sell stories, and generally pick at the fear of people who - for example - buy The Sun newspaper or the Daily Star.

They've spent more than 10 years building it.I bet they didn't just listen to Madonna while they built it.:p
Lol,titties.

HolidayCroft
09-09-08, 22:22
i dont lol nevermind ill just give up :hea::hea::hea::hea::hea::cen::cen:

Rivendell
09-09-08, 22:23
when is it happening anyway

They're testing it in about 8 hours I think, but not doing it properly until mid-October.

:wve:

Angelus
09-09-08, 22:28

Funniest thing I've read all day! :vlol:

HolidayCroft
09-09-08, 22:28
ok but im just worried because what if i dont get to live a good life im just :mad: gosh i hope they know what there doing

b0bb13
09-09-08, 22:40
ok but im just worried because what if i dont get to live a good life im just :mad: gosh i hope they know what there doing

You're gonna reincarnate into a hot blue alien chick named Bolognia in another universe,don't worry.:p

Cochrane
09-09-08, 22:40

Try to stay rational here. There are two choices, either

Scientists are willingly destroying the entire planet earth or
The mass media invents a doomsday story without any facts to back it up just to sell more.

Now, which of these is more likely? Which of these has happened more often? Whom do you trust more with doing highly advanced physics research, CERN (among many other things the inventors of the World Wide Web) or the collection of random newspapers of the world?

The Higgs bosone is a very, very interesting topic, but it takes at least a paragraph explaining in a newspaper or on a website. Black holes don't require the author of an article to have any knowledge of any physics at all, so of course that's what they will jump on. That does not tell us anything about physics, but a lot about the media business.

Forwen
09-09-08, 22:44
You're gonna reincarnate into a hot blue alien chick named Bolognia in another universe,don't worry.:p

Benezia, and she wasn't hot. I blame the goatee *shrug*

M.A.
09-09-08, 22:48
I'm loving this thread so goddamn much :D

Dood, you're openly broadcasting to us from the future and you're worried about some puny particle accelerator?

Dude, chill. I was just joking about the apocalypse part. Tho if it happens, I hope it will be fast so we won't suffer... :) :p

BTW 27 kilometer is NOT puny... :ohn:

But the fact is this (from LHC wikipedia):

The first attempt to circulate a beam through the entire LHC is scheduled for 10 September 2008, at 7:30 GMT and the first high-energy collisions are planned to take place after the LHC is officially unveiled, on 21 October 2008.

So, either they gonna do the first collision on 21 October or delay it after that, who knows??

What I do know, the night before they gonna collide some particle to answer the mysteries of the world is the night I'm gonna do an End Of The World parrtaaayyyy!!!! :D :yah: Who wants to join??!!! :mis:

And again I post this very informative video of the Large Hadron Collider Rap (God, I love this video.... :D)

j50ZssEojtM

Cheers!!

Forwen
09-09-08, 22:52
Heh, I was just pointing out a mistake in your post. Good to know you're on the sensible side here though (come to the sensible side... We have lukewarm tea and soggy cookies, but at the end of the day we'll be the ones with the GRAVITY GUN).

Natey168
09-09-08, 22:56
OMG we all goin die?

Cochrane
09-09-08, 22:57
OMG we all goin die?

Yes, sooner or later.

Except me, of course. I plan to live forever. But don't tell anyone.

Natey168
09-09-08, 22:59
Yes, sooner or later.

Except me, of course. I plan to live forever. But don't tell anyone.

Are you psychic or something? How do you know we're going to die? *gasp*

I can't wait until this whole thing's over with. Then scientists will know more things, and people will be all, "Yay, we didn't die smiley face!"

peeves
09-09-08, 23:04
OMG That thing is huge and it looks dangerous. It looks though as if i was it was to tell the future. :yik: And in the video it sounds like stephen hawkings in it and the video is educational for school.

b0bb13
09-09-08, 23:06
Benezia, and she wasn't hot. I blame the goatee *shrug*

I know,but Bolognia sounds funnier since it's a pasta sauce.xD

The first attempt to circulate a beam through the entire LHC is scheduled for 10 September 2008, at 7:30 GMT and the first high-energy collisions are planned to take place after the LHC is officially unveiled, on 21 October 2008.

****!So the world doesn't end before I starts school?:(

Heh, I was just pointing out a mistake in your post. Good to know you're on the sensible side here though (come to the sensible side... We have lukewarm tea and soggy cookies, but at the end of the day we'll be the ones with the GRAVITY GUN).

Cookies and Gravity Gun?!:eek:
*joins*

Gregori
09-09-08, 23:12
I don't know how comfortable I am occupying the exact same point of space-time with you guys and gals, esp some of the people on here I'm not so fond of :D

Lenochka
09-09-08, 23:23
I'm scared of that thing, lol
I would rather they just left stuff like that alone.

tombraider123
09-09-08, 23:43
Are we actually going to die lol? I thought that was the media just making up stuff, surely this would not be going ahead if it was dangerous?