PDA

View Full Version : Red Sonja remake

Tyrannosaurus
28-08-08, 04:31
http://images.rottentomatoes.com/images/spotlights/2008/redsonja2.JPG

There can be no question that the original Red Sonja was one of the worst Swords & Sorcery movies ever made. It's saying something when Arnold Schwarzenegger, in an extended supporting role (but nonetheless recieving top billing) is the best actor in the movie. It was dull, horridly mechanical, and tame on every level. Furthermore, it set a new standard for annoying sidekicks.

While Brigette Neilson couldn't act her way out of a paper bag, she at least physically inhabited her role well, and looked like a tall and powerful woman who could plausibly kill you. Rose McGowan, on the other hand, is lucky if she doesn't fly away in a 15mph breeze.

From the looks of this poster, it looks like the film will aim, not for realism, but for over-the-top preposterous comic book action/visuals, much like 300. This is a shame. There is a certain visceral power to a movie like Conan the Barbarian which simply cannot be reproduced well today, at least if we insist on going for intoxicating fantasy visuals instead of gritty realism. I want an armored, muscular woman who can kick ass, not an implausibly outfitted babe in bikini armor who looks like she's found her father's sword.

Like this lady here, who shows us all what would really happen to those who wear bikini chain mail:

http://images.elfwood.com/art/l/i/lissa/bikinis.jpg

Survival
28-08-08, 04:51
CanŽt say I care at all... original Red Sonja is a horrible movie. Conan was saved by music and direction imho, Sonja had neither. Thanks to that the remake is completely justified...

Ward Dragon
28-08-08, 06:43
I definitely got a "300" vibe from that movie poster, which is unfortunate considering how much of a disappointment 300 was for me (it had some really good one-liners but that was all it had). I really love that second picture, though :vlol: :D

Neteru
28-08-08, 06:57
Nooooooo!!!!!

I loves my ORIGINAL Red Sonja.

M.A.
28-08-08, 07:32
The first vibe I got is Heavenly Sword. Then I got 300.

Rose McGowan is in it and as a Charmed fan, I can't wait! :D

Edit: and judging by the comic book covers shown here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Sonja I guess she's wearing a pretty accurate outfit.

Fortune&Glory
28-08-08, 07:46
I wouldn't even sleep with Rose Mcgowan.

Drone
28-08-08, 08:21
I didn't even care about original

digitizedboy
28-08-08, 09:35
I wouldn't care much for a remake of it either. All I can say is that I like the cover art. :tmb:

Angelus
28-08-08, 09:46
Rose McGowan!? She isn't even a good actress!

This is coming from a Charmed fan, by the way.

digitizedboy
28-08-08, 09:47

I don't think anyone would need to be a good actress to be in this role. After all, brigette neilsen isn't. :D

Survival
28-08-08, 09:51

Maybe sheŽll strip-dance around a pole or something... (a spear? :vlol:)... hope her lips wonŽt cover half of the picture :D

Angelus
28-08-08, 09:54
Maybe sheŽll strip-dance around a pole or something... (a spear? :vlol:)... hope her lips wonŽt cover half of the picture :D

Lmao, they're huge aren't they? They got bigger in each season of Charmed. :p

Survival
28-08-08, 10:04
Lmao, they're huge aren't they? They got bigger in each season of Charmed. :p

Yeah.. but it was like in one scene they were normal and in the next one they were big like she was stung by a bee or something :vlol: I wonder how many botox and other **** she takes... and she was soo sweet in Scream :(

Fortune&Glory
28-08-08, 10:35
Yeah.. but it was like in one scene they were normal and in the next one they were big like she was stung by a bee or something :vlol: I wonder how many botox and other **** she takes... and she was soo sweet in Scream :(

I could run a car across her chest at 200+mph.

Paperdoll
28-08-08, 12:10
Rose Mcgowan isn't in this because she's a good actress or proper for the role.. it's because she's screwing the director y'all :D

Still curious to see how it turns up, though. The original was bad but hey... still enjoyable :p

thanatos
28-08-08, 13:02
Rose Mcgowan isn't in this because she's a good actress or proper for the role.. it's because she's screwing the director y'all :D

Still curious to see how it turns up, though. The original was bad but hey... still enjoyable :p

That is a horrible thing to say, she's not screwing the Director!

Robert Rodriguez is producing this film, not directing it, so she got the job because she's screwing the producer.

violentblossom
28-08-08, 13:11
meh.

Rose McGowen should have been in my fame thread.. she needs to go hide under a big rock or something and disappear.

I saw her in Planet Terror/Death Proof and she was horrible in both. I agree about the physicality part.. waifs don't make good or believable action heros.

Kerrigan
28-08-08, 13:30
Haven't seen the original but when I saw the poster (which looks interesting) I instantly thought of Nariko.

Paperdoll
28-08-08, 13:52
That is a horrible thing to say, she's not screwing the Director!

Robert Rodriguez is producing this film, not directing it, so she got the job because she's screwing the producer.

:eek:

How terrible of me :( my deepest apologies :/

:p

remote91
28-08-08, 13:56
I like Rose and Rob, so this should hopefully be just as good and tasteless as Planet Terror :D

violentblossom
28-08-08, 14:02
I like Rose and Rob, so this should hopefully be just as good and tasteless as Planet Terror :D

lol, i didn't like Planet Terror at all, but i loved Death Proof.

remote91
28-08-08, 14:16
lol, i didn't like Planet Terror at all, but i loved Death Proof.
I loved both! If anything, DP is a bit weaker than PT to me.

Why don't you like it? :p

Fortune&Glory
28-08-08, 14:18
:eek:

How terrible of me :( my deepest apologies :/

:p

Milla Jovovich does the same crap, screws the direction for a part. Luc Besson was boning her when she got the part in The Fifth Element. I wonder who took a ride of the Milla Roller Coaster for Ultraviolet.

violentblossom
28-08-08, 14:21
I loved both! If anything, DP is a bit weaker than PT to me.

Why don't you like it? :p

do i have to name just one thing? lol.

i don't know, i know it was meant to be shamelessly cornball, but it just wasn't any fun for me.

DP's end scene ass kicking really got points with me.. movie women who can throw a proper punch are few and far between.

IceColdLaraCroft
28-08-08, 14:50
The original is so bad it's fun to watch it's like a comedy or something out of Xena.

I think if robert is doing it it'll be more like Sin city or better.

remote91
28-08-08, 16:00
do i have to name just one thing? lol.

i don't know, i know it was meant to be shamelessly cornball, but it just wasn't any fun for me.

DP's end scene ass kicking really got points with me.. movie women who can throw a proper punch are few and far between.
The end of DP ruled! :D

But yeah, I guess PT is either a love or hate film.

domina
28-08-08, 16:15
LOL. That painting reminds me of this drawing (http://www.elfwood.com/art/n/d/ndkirkbright/ghengha_bhunie.jpg.html) I saw on Elfwood.

Speaking of Elfwood, that was the only reason I had ever heard of the Red Sonja; I've never seen the movie. I've never really had the desire to see it, and this thread sure isn't making me want to see it anymore.

I'm actually kind of intrigued by this version, though. I think the dramatic, comic-book look still has a couple more runs before it gets old and people thinking of every movie like that as a Sin City or 300 ripoff. Or maybe I'm just biased 'cause I love those films and that stylized look.

I always thought Rose McGowan was hot and had a smokin' body (and this is coming from someone that prefers "meatier" women) so I've got no qualms with seeing her prance about in nothing for two hours. What bothers me is her voice - It never changes. Everytime I hear her speak, I think she's Paige from Charmed.

Tombcool
28-08-08, 16:18
I've never heard of Red Sonja but that poster looks awesome!:D

violentblossom
28-08-08, 16:20
The end of DP ruled! :D

But yeah, I guess PT is either a love or hate film.

Yeah, very much so. The gun/leg thing really drove me nuts. :p

Speaking of Elfwood, that was the only reason I had ever heard of the Red Sonja; I've never seen the movie. I've never really had the desire to see it, and this thread sure isn't making me want to see it anymore.

Lol, yeah, me eiether.. in fact i heard about it through very funny and random means.

I heard about it on Flavor of Love: Season 1 when Brigette gave the girls lie detector tests, lol. She asked one girl if she'd see it.

I really wanna see a trailer.

Punaxe
28-08-08, 16:28
About the physique argument, that of course can be fixed in few weeks/months time...

Nemo_91
28-08-08, 18:04
Can't wait for this movie! That poster is soo hot.

Here's another poster:
http://www.impawards.com/2009/posters/red_sonja.jpg

Indiana Croft
28-08-08, 19:14
I think it will be good. Rose McGowam ALWAYS commits to her roles, and has proven her ass-kickery ability more than once. If the script is solid enough and the special effects are convincing, I'll gladly hop on this boat as long as Rose is onboard. :)

Punaxe
28-08-08, 19:45
(...) If (...) the special effects are convincing, I'll gladly hop on this boat (...)

Oh, movies these days... :rolleyes:

tampi
28-08-08, 20:21
mmmm we will see.

The hair is a bit , too much, red or my eyes are wrong??? :confused::o

:whi:I can't imagine that woman running years b.c. by the ways... :cln::cln::D

:vlol:

Angelus
28-08-08, 20:26
Rose isn't a waif, either. She's got a great body. :tmb:

violentblossom
28-08-08, 20:34
Rose isn't a waif, either. She's got a great body. :tmb:

she just doesn't seem toned enough to be a sword wielding head chopper-offer.

Briggitte Nielsen was someone who realistically was able to pull off the look, but she's not really sexy, lol.

Angelus
28-08-08, 20:37
Rose has got a gorgeous toned body, but she's not very muscular. If she was then she could maybe pull the look off a lot more.

violentblossom
28-08-08, 20:56
Rose has got a gorgeous toned body, but she's not very muscular. If she was then she could maybe pull the look off a lot more.

yeah, who knows though, she might be in the movie.

waif was probably the wrond word to use as she does have some definition.

Tombreaper
28-08-08, 22:21
Nooooooo!!!!!

I loves my ORIGINAL Red Sonja.

Yep, same here Neteru! I love my Red Sonja original too.

If there will be a remake, they should call it Red Sarah or something.

tampi
28-08-08, 23:49
http://i33.************/bhwrv9.jpg
http://i36.************/149bi4x.jpg
http://i33.************/15hj5ew.jpg
http://i37.************/2zf4go2.jpg

Encore
29-08-08, 00:02
Oh, movies these days... :rolleyes:

What do you mean with that?

If a movie is as action and visual oriented as this one seems to be (in the vein of 300), of course the special effects are fundamental. Just like a dramatic movie sucks if there's no good acting.

It's like Transformers. No one would give a crap about it except that the effects are absolutely phenomenal, which was the only reason it caught people's attentions.

calico25
29-08-08, 05:58
Robert rodriguez. Been to his Trouble Maker studio in Austin, TX and it was an experience to say the least.

*laralover*
29-08-08, 06:00
Hm this could be interesting.

Ada the Mental
29-08-08, 10:27
I saw the original movie so long ago that I barely remember any of it...Never read the comics.

Judging by the (pretty cool) poster it seems to have a 300 vibe going on. It will probably suck. I might rent it when it's out on DVD but I'll probably just skip it...

violentblossom
29-08-08, 12:52
btw, this is the other poster that's out:

http://i37.************/f27kup.jpg

ugh.

Nemo_91
29-08-08, 12:54
^ I also posted that in the previous page but it doesn't appear to me..It says "impawards.com".
Looks hot though :D

violentblossom
29-08-08, 12:56
ah, okay. ^^ was wondering why it wasn't put up, but of course it was, lol.

Angelus
29-08-08, 13:14
That's supposed to be Rose?

Yeah, okay. :vlol:

Nemo_91
29-08-08, 13:15
That's supposed to be Rose?

Yeah, okay. :vlol:

A photoshopped version :D

trXD
29-08-08, 14:52
This is less of a remake and more of another movie based on the same comic. Like all those Hulk movies.

I dont see why the last movie being so god damn awful would mean this one will be bad aswell?

Earthcane
29-08-08, 15:56
Rose McGowan as Red Sonja?

M'Kay.

Well, I don't think Rodriguez can screw this up somehow- he made Sin City, see?

:tmb:

violentblossom
29-08-08, 15:57
Rose McGowan as Red Sonja?

M'Kay.

Well, I don't think Rodriguez can screw this up somehow- he made Sin City, see?

:tmb:

i hated Sin City, and i don't know why.

i love that art style, though... ill determine if i wanna see this or not when a trailer comes out.

Earthcane
29-08-08, 15:59
Sin City was great IMO- Mickey Rourke as Marv? Perfect! :tmb:

Some cheaply scanned new Sonja pics:

http://i37.************/mmu594.jpg

http://i37.************/14bom5t.jpg

violentblossom
29-08-08, 16:00
Sin City was great IMO- Mickey Rourke as Marv? Perfect! :tmb:

Some cheaply scanned new Sonja pics:

http://i37.************/mmu594.jpg

eh.

was hoping she's be more toned.

>.>

Rose McGowen... boo.

Earthcane
29-08-08, 16:03
Well, I was expecting something more like this, but meh-
she's a fanboy's wet dream, I guess :p

http://i37.************/5xsqao.jpg

Not looking half as forward to this as Watchmen, The Spirit, Witchblade or Magdalena.

Especially Witchblade- Sara rocks :D

~~~~~~~~

Tyrannosaurus
30-08-08, 00:41
Red Sonja was more toned in the comic book even. I really don't think taking a 300/Sin City approach is the right way to go, at least not with an unconvincing actress in the lead.

Why do we always want to have our cake and eat it too when it comes to having tough action heroines? There's nothing wrong with a tough chick who actually has a bit of muscle. If being sexy requires that she still look like a supermodel, then something is seriously FUBARed about our use of the word.

Punaxe
30-08-08, 09:02
What do you mean with that?

If a movie is as action and visual oriented as this one seems to be (in the vein of 300), of course the special effects are fundamental. Just like a dramatic movie sucks if there's no good acting.

It's like Transformers. No one would give a crap about it except that the effects are absolutely phenomenal, which was the only reason it caught people's attentions.

Yeah, you're right. Sorry about that comment.