PDA

View Full Version : Converter for Blue-Ray? Fact or fiction?

Sifo-Dyas
29-08-08, 11:04
Hey,

Someone of the IT-department at my work just informed me that I needn't buying all of my DVD's at Blue-Ray (like I really was going to buy +500 DVD's all over again - yeah right!) because there is a new piece of equipment which is a Blue-Ray converter that you connect with your PC; provided that you have a High-Definition screen of course.

Is this a fact or pure fiction?
And if there's any truth to it - how lucrative would it be to buy a thing like that? Will the slightly lower definition of normal DVD indeed be upgraded to a higher definition when one has indeed a HD-screen?

Thanks!

Bye for now

St4r
29-08-08, 11:19
How do you think it's supposed to work?

It's just like this one here:
http://www.thinkgeek.com/stuff/41/betamaxhd.html

Be sure to watch the video. :D

jamieoliver22
29-08-08, 19:07
It would probably be possible to rip a DVD and re-encode it and re-burn it as a Blu-Ray disk, but you wouldn't be able to increase the quality to HD.

EscondeR
29-08-08, 19:44
Someone of the IT-department at my work just informed me that I needn't buying all of my DVD's at Blue-Ray (like I really was going to buy +500 DVD's all over again - yeah right!) because there is a new piece of equipment which is a Blue-Ray converter that you connect with your PC; provided that you have a High-Definition screen of course.

Total nonsense! Nothing will encrease the quality to HD level from not lossless encoded media. You can reburn DVDs to BR discs as Jamie said, but this provides more compact collection only, as several DVDs will fit on one BR.