PDA

View Full Version : Okay so I was on the internet...

Lew
30-08-08, 00:21
and I came across this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/lawandorder/2140278/Underage-drinking-in-Britain-'among-worst-in-the-world'.html

A study, by the World Health Organisation, will show that more young people in Britain have been drunk at a young age than in most other developed countries.
The figures, published every couple of years and to be released on Wednesday, look at the intake of alcohol and drugs, and the sexual behaviour, of young teenagers in 41 countries across the world.
They are expected to show that Britain has the fourth highest levels of underage drinking among 15-year-olds.
The ranking is a slight improvement on the last publication of the report, in 2001, when Britain's teens were placed second behind only Denmark as the heaviest consumers of beer, wine, or spirits.
That study compared the number of 15-year-olds who admitted that they had been drunk at or before the age of 13.
Last month ministers announced new plans to target the problem, with a multi-million pound advertising campaign highlighting the dangers of underage binge drinking.
Official figures show that there has been a 37 per cent increase in the number of children being admitted to hospital because of alcohol since 2001.
In 2006-7 there were 8,072 cases, up from 5,885 in 2000-1, the figures, obtained by the Liberal Democrats show.
The WHO report is also expected to show that young people in Britain have among the highest cannabis use in the world.
British teens are also using more condoms than in previous years, the study, which concentrates on the behaviours of 11, 13 and 15-year-olds, will show, possibly as a result of safe sex messages.
Frank Soodeen, from Alcohol Concern, said that a radical change was needed to tackle a culture of underage binge drinking among Britain's young people.
He said: "The new WHO figures confirm what earlier studies have already established. British teenagers are simply some of the heaviest drinkers in Europe.
"While the new youth alcohol action plan shows that government is acutely aware of the problem, there are widespread concerns that it doesn't go to the heart of why teenagers are drinking heavily.
"Not only do many of these children grow up in challenging social environments but they are bombarded with hundreds of millions of pounds worth of advertising telling them that drinking is a completely natural, and safe part of life."
Scotland's ruling Scottish National Party (SNP) is set to announce plans to raise the age at which young people can buy alcohol in off licences and supermarkets from 18 to 21.
Although under-21s will still be able to drinks in pubs and clubs, the SNP believes that the move will have help to curb problem drinking among young people.
The Association of Chief Police Officers warned earlier this year that 50 per cent of young drinkers were getting alcohol from their parents.
The WHO plans to draw up a global strategy to tackle binge drinking among young people and other forms of harmful drinking, which it blames for 2.3 million deaths across the globe every year.

Which has really annoyed me because I just dont understand how it can be that bad? It isn't.

thecentaur
30-08-08, 00:43
.... so should i give a round of applause for the UK? :p j/k

drinking is pointless IMO, the only thing that can make you tipsy and feel good is a 24 hour tomb raider fest

Feather Duster
30-08-08, 01:38
and I came across this http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/politics/lawandorder/2140278/Underage-drinking-in-Britain-'among-worst-in-the-world'.html

Which has really annoyed me because I just dont understand how it can be that bad? It isn't.

You think underage drinking is okay?

Whatever, I guess in the world, the only thing a parent will say when someone dies of a drunk driver is " Oops, oh well, little Billy had fun being drunk "

nothing personal

EmeraldFields
30-08-08, 02:00
What is considered underage in the UK? In the US it's 21. I live in an University town so we have major problems with underage drinking!

Tombcool
30-08-08, 02:25
I can't stand being with my friends when they are drunk. I don't drink, nor will I ever.

All the parties that happen in my town for some reason ALWAYS have to contain booze.

Drinking brings out the worst in people IMO.

Christi
30-08-08, 02:49
GAH! you guys need the perspective of a 17 year old American girl...:whi:
(Unfortunately Im a wolf, so SOWEY!!!)

tlr online
30-08-08, 02:53
Unfortunately, and certainly not indicative of anything endemic over here, the British get painted as a boozing nation thanks largely to small pockets of football hooligans and even smaller pockets of bored teenagers.

Christi
30-08-08, 02:59
I think it is out of boredom also Justin;):hug:

spikejones
30-08-08, 03:23
GAH! you guys need the perspective of a 17 year old American girl...:whi:
(Unfortunately Im a wolf, so SOWEY!!!)
you need the perspective of a 23 year old alcoholic who wrecked his life and put the plug in the jug before he was even legal to drink
I think it is out of boredom also Justin;):hug:
ever heard of having a hobby? playing games, sports, etc is more fun than getting drunk. have you ever hugged the toilet all night? I know I've done it plenty of times and told myself I'd not do it again, only to find myself right back doing it again. I said I enjoyed the effects produced by alcohol and that was why I did it. But what is fun about hugging a toilet all night?

Nothing

Honestly though, if it is not peer pressure that drives a teen to drink, it is something else repressed that they do not want to deal with and so they drink to keep it repressed even more. Eventually it becomes an addiction. Statistics show that they younger a person is when they begin drinking, the more likely they are to become an alcoholic, since the brain is not fully developed yet. The brain becomes engineered to depend upon the alcohol much quicker. And THAT is one of the main reasons why there are age limits set on drinking.

Cochrane
30-08-08, 08:36

A 3000 increase in children being admitted to hospitals because of alcohols? Yes, it is that bad. That's just what the numbers say.

Don't think you're special, though, Germany has lots of problems with underage* drinking as well.

*) Some alcoholic beverages, like beer and wine, are legal starting at 16, most things with higher percentages are legal only from 18. Of course, the problem does not magically disappear once people cross these lines.

Elysia
30-08-08, 09:01
True story: during PDL (Personal Development Learning - tutors teach it once a week) last Spring term, we were discussing, as a class, the dangers of drinking alcohol, mainly because I had been informed that morning that one of my pupils (who was the grand old age of 13) had had to have her stomach pumped the weekend before. We discussed the dangers of drinking, and they came up with doing things you would later regret, hangovers, choking on your own vomit etc... but when I told them that they could die from alcohol poisoning, I was met with sceptical looks and 'no, you can't, Miss...' comments.

I cannot even begin to say how much this worries me.

toxicraider
30-08-08, 09:13
I knew we had the worst teenage pregnancy rate in Europe but alcohol as well? That's pretty bad :(

rickybazire
30-08-08, 10:19
I can't stand being with my friends when they are drunk. I don't drink, nor will I ever.

All the parties that happen in my town for some reason ALWAYS have to contain booze.

Drinking brings out the worst in people IMO.

I agree tombcool. I only ever drink shandy, and because it's so weak, I can drink as much as I like and not even feel slightly tipsy, so that's cool. But I do hate it when parties always include drink.

My best friends and I had a sleepover each and didn't have any alcohol there. Then we went to another of our friend's for a sleepover, and he had some alcohol there. I only had about 5 shandies, my best friend didn't have any. But the friend whom house we were staying at and a girl that went had bout 8 Stellas/Fosters each. And at times it just got annoying.

I don't mind it when people drink a wee bit for like, fun, or simply to just try it once. But I don't like it when they drink too much.

It's like for example, it's a really good party, getting drunk just makes you forget it...

As for the condom thingy, we can't really tell whether underage people are having more sex. We only know that more condoms are in use with underage people.

Meh, welcome to Britain...lol.

EDIT: I knew we had the worst teenage pregnancy rate in Europe but alcohol as well? That's pretty bad :(

In the words of Bill Bailey...CHAMPIONS!! CHAMPIONS!!

toxicraider
30-08-08, 10:42
I agree tombcool. I only ever drink shandy, and because it's so weak, I can drink as much as I like and not even feel slightly tipsy, so that's cool. But I do hate it when parties always include drink.

My best friends and I had a sleepover each and didn't have any alcohol there. Then we went to another of our friend's for a sleepover, and he had some alcohol there. I only had about 5 shandies, my best friend didn't have any. But the friend whom house we were staying at and a girl that went had bout 8 Stellas/Fosters each. And at times it just got annoying.

I don't mind it when people drink a wee bit for like, fun, or simply to just try it once. But I don't like it when they drink too much.

It's like for example, it's a really good party, getting drunk just makes you forget it...

As for the condom thingy, we can't really tell whether underage people are having more sex. We only know that more condoms are in use with underage people.

Meh, welcome to Britain...lol.

EDIT:

In the words of Bill Bailey...CHAMPIONS!! CHAMPIONS!!

Lol well condoms are pretty easy to get if you're a teenager as they sell them everywhere but i guess if they didn't then there would be even more teen pregnancies :o
And yes alcohol does bring out the worst in people, either they get aggressive or plain daft, it's ok to have a little, and be aware of how much you should have, but there isn't much need for getting drunk, even if you are an adult, but maybe it is good to be aware of you're limits and know when to stop. Some people can't have so much, my sister found that out when she was about 14 and threw up at a party :o but yes too much can put you in a coma, we learnt that at school. Personally even a little alcohol makes me sleepy so i don't really see much fun in boozing.

Mad Tony
30-08-08, 10:47
In my area (and bear in mind I don't live in a bad area or anything), teenage drinking seems to be pretty rife. I know loads of people in my year who drink regularly and have been doing so for years. I don't know what it's like in the rest of the country, but that's what it's like down here.

Lew
30-08-08, 11:20
In my area (and bear in mind I don't live in a bad area or anything), teenage drinking seems to be pretty rife. I know loads of people in my year who drink regularly and have been doing so for years. I don't know what it's like in the rest of the country, but that's what it's like down here.

Yeah it's the same here. And I was talking about underage drinking overall (not excessive) as being a bad thing. I have personally been out quite alot and it really isnt that bad as people say. Also it is out of pure boredom because there is nothing for us to do! If they do raise the age up to 21 we will still drink underage, it'll be like omg you look 21 and can get served.

*laralover*
30-08-08, 12:39
Yeah i must be the only person in my town who dsnt need to go out on the town and get drunk :p I was on Bebo the other day and was looking up old friends from school and all of them have drunken pictures everywhere on there pages. Cant people go out for a nice drink with some friends and have a good time without needing to get so drunk :confused:

rickybazire
30-08-08, 15:35
Cant people go out for a nice drink with some friends and have a good time without needing to get so drunk :confused:

That's what I always thought. It's nicer to enjoy your drink and enjoy the evening by remembering it, than to get smashed.

Christi
30-08-08, 15:49
Alright I confess, I got drunk once, and I will admitt, it was out of complete boredom/curiosity.

Lew
30-08-08, 16:48
That's what I always thought. It's nicer to enjoy your drink and enjoy the evening by remembering it, than to get smashed.

Yeah but if you're in a nightclub and you have a few drinks you will feel more comfortable dancing than you would normally.