PDA

View Full Version : Introducing unknown but fantastic artists to the world ...

Sifo-Dyas
31-08-08, 16:53
Hey,

The music business is a funny thing. There are those who are very talented that aren't really very well-known and then you have stupid girls that can hardly dance and become the single greatest popact since Michael Jackson, Madonna or The Beatles.

This new thread is for anyone out there who knows and likes the lesser known artists that are simply stunning yet for reasons unknown remained mostly under the radar. I hope that I can discover new great artists this way. Please also say why you like them (great voice, great guitars, easy-listening and highly likeable poptunes, etc ...)

I will start and hopefully others will follow my lead:

Through the site last.fm I discovered a couple of new great artists, because this site lets you type in your favorite artist name and then you'll get a truckload of others that sound just like it (which is the perfect way to broaden your horizon.)

FANTASTIC MUSIC

Vanilla Ninja
This absolutely gorgeous all-female rockgroup is from Estonia and they sound like a heavier version of Roxette (which is perhaps why Per Gessle - songwriter of Roxette - has already written one song for them). It's amazing that a band this unknown can actually be so bloody good. I happen to have 3 cd's and no less than 40 songs of them on my i-POD and I like every single one of those. Now that Roxette has quit (Marie Fredriksson - female leadsinger of Roxette had cancer and is, as a result of this, too weak to continue) Vanilla Ninja serves as a more than stunning substitute for me. Some great songs are: "Liar", "Tough enough", "Insane in vain" and "Bad girls". As an extra bonus: all 3 of them are amazingly beautiful. ;)

Alana Grace
Having just released her debut album "Break the silence", this beautiful American rock-lady might prove to be the next big thing in female rock-music after Vanilla Ninja, Avril Lavigne and Ashlee Simpson. Unfortunately: I don't want to buy her album coz I don't like half of the songs on it, but it does contain a few gems. I already bought 4 songs from this album and who knows? - maybe I'll still buy the album as of yet. Best songs (I think): "Black roses red", "The other side", "Domino" and "Paranoid".

I have to agree - I have a terrible weakness for powerful rockgirls ... LOL! :D

Now ... do you know any fabulous artists worth mentioning?

toxicraider
31-08-08, 16:58
Within Temptation are still not well known, i love their singer Sharon Den Adel who is a fantastic singer and is very pretty :D

They are Dutch

MrBear
31-08-08, 17:12
It's difficult to introduce new music to people around here (personally I made a thread about Patrick Watson, a Canadian genius, but alas, it got 0 replies.. Compare it to any Britney/Slipknot/Crazy Frog/Miley Cyrus thread out there and their replies, and you've got a depressing result), so I can only admire your desire to let others inspire :) (tried a bit of funny wording there, sorry)

Hmmm, oh well.. Here goes nothing:

Patrick Watson
A Canadian band that I won't try and categorise, Patrick Watson recently released an album titled "Close to Paradise", which is very fitting for the overall experience you get from it.. With beautiful songs about life and love that vary between enthusiastically life-affirming (Luscious Life (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uc6xbXpMrLU&feature=related)) to quiet life-reaffirming melodies (The Great Escape (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YA2h9PrIUxs&feature=related) - edit: which is not about suicide, in my opinion.. Quite a lot of people seem to think so, but I guess it's open for interpretation), this album is a brilliant example of the power of the singer/song-writer business..

:)

Tomb-Surfer
31-08-08, 17:23
I love Patrick Watson's style, and what an amazing music video to
go with the 'great escape' song :tmb:

Biffy Clyro
A scottish band, most of you have probably heard of them but they deserve more credit
than they get. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGjDsVPV6VI

peffect
31-08-08, 17:35
Haggard. ;)

Tombcool
31-08-08, 18:05
Don't even make me begin on fantastic unknown artists. :hea:

But I will post one (random) band that I think is extremely underrated. I don't really have the energy to post all the ones in my library. I assume its accessible to everyone, its not metal, its ethereal, full of chilling middle-eastern instrumentation and vocals.

Vas
The lead singer of this band, Azam Ali, did the vocals in the music of the movie, "300". Their album, "In the Garden of Souls", is known by their fans (including me) as the album that was closest to the quality of the Dead Can Dance album, "Within the Realms of a Dying Sun". Here is their MySpace:
http://www.myspace.com/azamalivasmusic

Here is an extremely haunting song from the album:9fxrLIZpuvo

Dingaling
31-08-08, 23:22
Pamela Quinn

http://www.pamelaquinn.co.uk/

I know her so I have to get her into people's ears :p. She's absolutely brilliant though - great voice, catchy tunes and she's nice :D. She actually sounds far better live than she does on the songs that you can download on the website. Listen... and love :).

Sifo-Dyas
01-09-08, 11:13
Thanks - lots of names to listen to.

Here are a few older ones:

the first 2 albums of Alannah Myles are very good and the first 3 albums of Crash Test Dummies are also very, very good.

Good songs by Alannah Myles are: Black Velvet, Song instead of a kiss, Still got this thing, Love in the big town, Our world, our times, make me happy, Tumbleweed, ...

Good songs by Crash Test Dummies: Mmm mmm mmm mmm, Afternoons & coffeespoons, Androgynous, In the days of the caveman, The psychic, Here I stand before me, Swatting flies, a worm's life, ...

Bye for now

Nemo_91
01-09-08, 11:21
Whoa that's really good Tombcool :tmb: I love this music.

In that case, I'd like to recommend Loreena McKennitt

http://www.quinlanroad.com/

Her music is so beautiful!
dQNzICylbTE

She's not unknown, but i actually don't know anyone who like her xD

TR93
01-09-08, 11:22
I can think Of One I don't hear much about

Our Lady Peace....
Canadian Rock band, very good, but not very popular worldwide;)

Not As We
01-09-08, 16:09
Ohh,

Great Thread :tmb:

Sia
I honestly don't know how to describe Sia,
Her most recent music, the album I fell in love with
is called 'Some People Have REAL Problems' and it's amazing,
packed with soulful ballads and catchy pop songs,
Sia sings about domestic abuse, making love not war, leaving behind a family pet,
She really reaches out to you throughout the album,

So people should check her out

:D

xMyrax
02-09-08, 14:24
I can think Of One I don't hear much about

Our Lady Peace....
Canadian Rock band, very good, but not very popular worldwide;)

Oh maaaaan I love OLP <3 Are they really not that popular? D: And are they still together? I haven't listened to their stuff in a while....Superman is Dead ftw! :D

And I like too many underdog bands and artists to mention...I'm not even sure if they'd still be underdogs o_o

TR93
02-09-08, 14:32
Oh maaaaan I love OLP <3 Are they really not that popular? D: And are they still together? I haven't listened to their stuff in a while....Superman is Dead ftw! :D

And I like too many underdog bands and artists to mention...I'm not even sure if they'd still be underdogs o_o

I dunno if they're Not very popular, I went to a music store once they had no OLP CD's:o
I had to order my OLP cd's online, and it came from Canada:)
I think they are still together though;)
I love Innocent and Somewhere Out There mostly atm;)

george_croft
02-09-08, 14:46
The Pierces

Wiki info: The Pierces are a New York based music band. The principal members are sisters Catherine Pierce and Allison Pierce, who originally hail from Birmingham, Alabama.

Genre: Folk/rock Pop/rock

Favourite album: Thirteen Tales Of Love And Revenge
http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q9/george_ganno/ThePierces-ThirteenTalesOfLoveAndRe.jpg

The Pierces Official Myspace Page (http://www.myspace.com/thepierces)

Boring
GXbk3OL-t-s

Sticks and Stones
FAU2Pf78fXE

<3