PDA

View Full Version : Trix to make my computer last a lot longer ...

Sifo-Dyas
01-09-08, 08:27
Hey,

A small question:

I would like to use my PC as long as possible without having to make any changes at all.

Is it better for your PC to shut it down each evening and restart it again the following day?
Or is it better for your PC to keep it on at all times (you use more electricity that way, but perhaps by avoiding shutting down your computer it may last a lot longer).

Its a silly question I know but I would like to know, please.

Thanks!

Bye for now

EscondeR
01-09-08, 08:33
Regarding turning on and off: yup, it's better for the hardware to stay on (or in standby mode) than come through interstate processes, but the cooling system must be good and monitored constantly.

Regarding the software: ensure you

defragment
perform cleanups (HDDs, registry, etc)
perform antivirus checks

regularly. Ensure you install drivers and software and uninstall them properly. Make System Restore points.
This will help your OS to stay operational longer.

Sifo-Dyas
01-09-08, 11:01
Ok. Thanks. That was very useful. 2 question though: :)

1) Would you suggest then that I leave my computer on even when I'm at work? (that means 8 hours of active computer status that I cannot check whether something's wrong).

2) Are you saying it's much better to uninstall your video- and audo-driver first before installing the new one? Or can I just install the latest driver for my video- and audiocard over the previous one without having to do anything beforehand. :)

Many thanks again!

Bye for now

irjudd
01-09-08, 13:32
Regarding turning on and off: yup, it's better for the hardware to stay on (or in standby mode) than come through interstate processes, but the cooling system must be good and monitored constantly.

You know, come to think of it, I've actually seen numerous resources debate the other way around, that it ends up being better on your hardware to power down and back up in the morning than to run 24 hours a day. I'd love to see a nice in depth comparison on which is the most accurate. Any idea where we could find such a thing? Google has left me wanting.

EscondeR
01-09-08, 19:09
Let's say this way, if you leave your PC for several hours without any work (recieving e-mail, scans, etc) then power it off, BUT if you leave it for an hour or two, better leave it in stand-by mode rather than powered off completely.

2) Are you saying it's much better to uninstall your video- and audo-driver first before installing the new one? Or can I just install the latest driver for my video- and audiocard over the previous one without having to do anything beforehand. :)

Better do this way while updating ATI Radeon Catalyst drivers (video drivers generally), others can be updated over previous versions mostly.

Sifo-Dyas
01-09-08, 22:01
Better do this way while updating ATI Radeon Catalyst drivers (video drivers generally), others can be updated over previous versions mostly.

Well, I have an NVIDIA driver so I'll just stick with over-installing the latest one. ;)

But thanks anyway ... :)

Eddie Haskell
02-09-08, 01:21
Speaking from personal experience I can tell you that I am a firm believer in completely shutting down the computer at the end of the day (or when you will not be using it for a long while). I have 7 pc's up and running now, all of various ages and components. Having built and run many, many systems from the 80's until today, the only problems that I have ever had relating to hardware malfunctions or failure were from those that I ran non-stop (save a few hard drive burnouts and a couple of video card deaths). The only way I would run a pc without shutting down is with water cooling. Even with multiple, large, high velocity fans the heat in an enclosed case is troublesome. Should a fan fail when you are not around (the cpu fan in particular) it means death.

Heat is the killer, let there be no doubt about it. With my newest top two systems I use water cooling. It is fantastic to say the least.

spikejones
02-09-08, 02:21
You know, come to think of it, I've actually seen numerous resources debate the other way around, that it ends up being better on your hardware to power down and back up in the morning than to run 24 hours a day. I'd love to see a nice in depth comparison on which is the most accurate. Any idea where we could find such a thing? Google has left me wanting.

Speaking from personal experience I can tell you that I am a firm believer in completely shutting down the computer at the end of the day (or when you will not be using it for a long while). I have 7 pc's up and running now, all of various ages and components. Having built and run many, many systems from the 80's until today, the only problems that I have ever had relating to hardware malfunctions or failure were from those that I ran non-stop (save a few hard drive burnouts and a couple of video card deaths). The only way I would run a pc without shutting down is with water cooling. Even with multiple, large, high velocity fans the heat in an enclosed case is troublesome. Should a fan fail when you are not around (the cpu fan in particular) it means death.

Heat is the killer, let there be no doubt about it. With my newest top two systems I use water cooling. It is fantastic to say the least.

i run a dell dimension 2350 around the clock. I only ever shut it down when something buggs out and i need to reboot the machine to actually get it working again (ies4linux and skype for linux are the two culprits here). hardware wise, everything is in ship shape. parts of this machine have been out a second story balcony before and still run like a champ.:D

EscondeR
02-09-08, 06:29
Must I highlight? :D

Besides interstate processes may be more harmful than heat.

Sifo-Dyas
02-09-08, 12:03
Must I highlight? :D

Besides interstate processes may be more harmful than heat.

what do you mean by interstate? Do you mean: turning PC on and off several times shortly after each other? :)

EscondeR
02-09-08, 12:21
Every status change (on/off, power consumption, etc) involves temperature changes, dimensions changes, generally interstate processes. They can be harmful. The more often the state changes, the more harmful it is for your PC.
So several switch-on/off cycles within a short period of time are not good definitely.