PDA

View Full Version : PC Gamers Bill of Rights

Cochrane
01-09-08, 15:06
Source: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2008/09/01/gamers_bill_of_rights/

Gamers shall have the right to return games that don't work with their computers for a full refund.
Gamers shall have the right to demand that games be released in a finished state.
Gamers shall have the right to expect meaningful updates after a game's release.
Gamers shall have the right to demand that download managers and updaters not force themselves to run or be forced to load in order to play a game.
Gamers shall have the right to expect that the minimum requirements for a game will mean that the game will adequately play on that computer.
Gamers shall have the right to expect that games won't install hidden drivers or other potentially harmful software without their express consent.
Gamers shall have the right to re-download the latest versions of the games they own at any time.
Gamers shall have the right to not be treated as potential criminals by developers or publishers.
Gamers shall have the right to demand that a single-player game not force them to be connected to the internet every time they wish to play.
Gamers shall have the right that games which are installed to the hard drive shall not require a CD/DVD to remain in the drive to play.

--

Personal opinion: Not so sure about it. I'd love it if this was widely implemented, but it seems to me that those are wishes, not fundamental rights. For example, the "meaningful update" part, especially assuming that the game already comes out functional, is quite a burden on developers and there are many games, such as the Tomb Raider series (excluding 1 and 2 of course) that violate it and are still great. The right to re-download the latest version of the game only makes sense if the game has been sold via download only, otherwise it's another logistical nightmare.

On the other hand, there are things missing that I would certainly like to have, such as the right to modify a game (modulo cheat protection in online play and tech support).

What do you think?

Night Crawler
01-09-08, 15:28
Gamers shall have the right to demand that games be released in a finished state.

Maybe we should show this to Eidos and send them back our copies of AOD. ;)

irjudd
01-09-08, 16:11
Really the only things about PC gaming I think need addressing is the inability to buy used or trade in at most (all?) game stores and the over the top DRM implementations on some titles.

My experience with both the minimum requirements and with compatibility/performance on a range of hardware has always been pretty positive.

dizzydoil
01-09-08, 16:14
I like the rights alittle. :p

Legend of Lara
01-09-08, 19:40
I can think of one company that completely ignores everything on this list...

http://i155.photobucket.com/albums/s282/VGBASimpleNeeds/Dev%20logos/AnotherEAlogo.png

;)

moodydog
01-09-08, 19:57
the only ones i think we as customers are able to do anything about is

Gamers shall have the right to return games that don't work with their computers for a full refund.

the rest we can demand and expect, but we buy the games at our own risk .i.e you cannot can a refund or do anything about from from 2-10