PDA

View Full Version : Would you "Borg" or stay "Pure"?

silver_wolf
02-09-08, 23:41
Last night I saw a show on the Science channel called Next World. The episode was about the future of artificial intelligence. According to the "top minds" in the field, in the next 35 years machine AI will naturally evolve to become more intelligent than human intelligence and gain free will, and the "only" way to survive among them would be to merge with them; essentially becoming cyborgs who are all connected on one network by mechanical implants, and this would make normal humans inferior. So my question is, would you (or maybe it should be "will you") get the "upgrades" and become connected and more "advanced" (depending on your POV) or would you stay pure human and remain "inferior"? Do you think we would/will even have a choice? Personally, I'd rather remain 100% human. Maybe it's my paranoia, maybe I've seen too many movies, but this just doesn't sit right with me.

Edit: FYI, some of the possible "upgrades" mentioned included the ability to increase memory (like a computer), being connected on one huge network, more than 5 senses, etc.

Heckler
02-09-08, 23:42
I think those upgrades could be quite interresting....

Dingaling
02-09-08, 23:46
Not sure but all I can say is they aren't very good scientists (or "top minds") if they say we only have five senses.

silver_wolf
02-09-08, 23:47
well, the five basic senses is what they meant.

Natey168
02-09-08, 23:50
Sounds effing creepy to me. 0_o (That's a vote for "pure", by the way. :p)

ThatNorskChick
02-09-08, 23:53
To me, that just sounds very....wrong. I don't trust computers as it is so why would I want one in my body? :p

Perhaps our "top minds" need to think this over a bit more.

I'd like to stay inferior, thank you. :)

tranniversary119
02-09-08, 23:54
I'd rather remain Human, but it does sound cool.

Camera Obscura
02-09-08, 23:57
No thanks. I want to live in the body nature intended me to have. :wve:

Immortalis08
02-09-08, 23:57
It would give me a chance to become a male version of KOS-MOS... :D

But if i am not allowed to transform parts of my body like her than I choose to remain Human. :wve:

takamotosan
02-09-08, 23:58
i think this might be more useful to the people with disabilities...

Draco
03-09-08, 00:09
As long as I can be disconnected from the rest of them, I'll probably consider it.

hera7days
03-09-08, 00:12
I'd be first in line to be a borg! Heck, I wish I were one right now.

thecentaur
03-09-08, 00:12
i wanna be a human forever (well until i die and my body decays or something)

KIKO
03-09-08, 00:17
That seems interesting but no for me. I want to remain a human :D But well for those who want to pass on Math exams :whi:

Shrantellatessa
03-09-08, 00:26
Excuse me, but I like my spirit, my heart, my mind, and my body; so: NO thanks! :D I stay 100% human :)

IceColdLaraCroft
03-09-08, 00:29
I'd totally borg up and join the collective. "resistance is futile"

jackali
03-09-08, 00:31
I'd borg up... to a certain extent. I don't think I'd mind a few upgrades, as long as I was still essentially me. I mean, there's no point upgrading if I'll no longer be myself, they might as well just create an entirely artificial being in that case. But I can see how better memory, sight, strength etc. could be useful.

tombraider123
03-09-08, 00:42
I like being 100% human and hopefully I will stay that way, lol.

silver_wolf
03-09-08, 01:36
I don't understand why we need to create machines that are so intelligent that we would need to "upgrade" to survive.
Anyway, nice to know I won't be the last man on earth. Viva la resistance!

Nefertiti_89
03-09-08, 02:00
To me, that just sounds very....wrong. I don't trust computers as it is so why would I want one in my body? :p

Perhaps our "top minds" need to think this over a bit more.

I'd like to stay inferior, thank you. :)

Ditto :)

Me + computers = fail lol

dizzydoil
03-09-08, 02:11
I know where i'd get some borg inhancements. :mis:

Cept' from that... HUMAN!!:p

takamotosan
03-09-08, 02:30
I know where i'd get some borg inhancements. :mis:

Cept' from that... HUMAN!!:p

your eyes, of course ;)

all the better to see you with...

:mis:

spikejones
03-09-08, 02:52
theres no way i would ever consider getting a piece of machinery or computer attached to my body (except for a pace maker if i needed one).

I guess I would just be one of those rebels that would be on the move, killing off the hordes of iRobots that were attacking me if they found me.

odd... must be apple that makes those things. shame on them.

violentblossom
03-09-08, 03:08
Bioshock, anyone??

Death Mask
03-09-08, 03:14
Smells like Terminator around here, I don't see how I could ever do something like that to my body or/and mind, I'd like to remain what I was born until death, so thanks but no thanks.

n00b raider
03-09-08, 03:22
Smells like Terminator around here, I don't see how I could ever do something like that to my body or/and mind, I'd like to remain what I was born until death, so thanks but no thanks.

And not long after Terminators, the Matrix. The storylines would connect together quite well, no? Machines building better versions of themselves, humans barely surviving. I always seem to place the Matrix how-many-years-after Terminators "winning".
Hmm.

And that, my friends, is my Sci-Fi movie geek side.

Endow
03-09-08, 03:45
I'm all for nanotechnology that enables your blood stream to be more "efficient" and stuff like that. As long as I didn't feel like a machine and it provided a better quality of life I'd be ok. As far as being better than these AI individuals...I couldn't care less.

But sentient robots in 35 years time....I don't think so.

Bustus
03-09-08, 03:57
Only if it were to make up for something about my body that isn't the way it's supposed to be.

rowanlim
03-09-08, 04:18
No I'd rather not be a cyborg, unless it's really necessary, like to save my life or something similar :)

Death Mask
03-09-08, 04:23
I wish I was a clone of Solid Snake (without the rapid aging) :p, I would totally kick all those cyborg asses. :mis:

Goose
03-09-08, 06:26
I doubt computers will ever become more intelligent then human kind, more so then an average human, but not the species. They will always be able to think quicker but they cant think further. After all, AI may be artificial intelligence, but it was still created and programed by human minds.

Only an idiot would give a machine freewill. As long as computers run on electricity from mains we will always be able to decide what we want or not. If we dont like it, pull the plug out.

Drone
03-09-08, 07:41
sounds like a total control. nope thanks they can go and suck a .... lemon segment :wve:

chakotay1
03-09-08, 09:45
I think they have been watching to much Star Trek! whats next going around the galaxy assimilating species?

jackali
03-09-08, 11:04
I guess I would just be one of those rebels that would be on the move, killing off the hordes of iRobots

Internet Robots? Why would they be called internet robots? Then again... why is there an internet pod? And how does that relate to an MP3 player? Oh well, Apple has the worst marketing and branding department.

Night Crawler
03-09-08, 11:09
Borg me up.

interstellardave
03-09-08, 11:13
I saw the same show... some of their predictions are too wild even taking into account just how fast advancements are being made. Some things, even if they are possible, may not be practical, or even desired, by the population as a whole. Then again, the world is so incredibly different for those growing up now than it was for me... it could be that I'm a dinosaur, that's all...

Lew
03-09-08, 12:40
I'd stay pure :) Unless they could like give you the ability to emit electricity etc.

MiCkiZ88
03-09-08, 12:47
Depends. If I'm still free to do what I please, and wouldn't be connected in to some core AI *keeps thinking about MGS* that would control my needs, emotions, desires (sexual among them) - I would. But if it's a way for the goverment to control everyones needs and make them live the perfect life as they think - no.

So basically as long as I can remain myself, I'm for it.

Explorer
03-09-08, 13:13
Remain as a human thank you very much :wve: They believe in "free will" :eek:

Larapink
03-09-08, 13:19
The only AI, I will know is only in the games industry. :)

tomblover
03-09-08, 13:24
Meh, I'd say no thanks.