PDA

View Full Version : Don LaFontaine Dies

Mad Tony
03-09-08, 06:25
LOS ANGELES Don LaFontaine, the man who popularized the catch phrase "In a world where..." and lent his voice to thousands of movie trailers, has died. He was 68.

LaFontaine died Monday at Cedars-Sinai Medical Center from complications in the treatment of an ongoing illness, said Vanessa Gilbert, his agent.
LaFontaine made more than 5,000 trailers in his 33-year career while working for the top studios and television networks.
In a rare on-screen appearance in 2006, he parodied himself on a series of national television commercials for a car insurance company where he played himself telling a customer, "In a world where both of our cars were totally under water..."
In an interview last year, LaFontaine explained the strategy behind the phrase.

"We have to very rapidly establish the world we are transporting them to," he said of his viewers. "That's very easily done by saying, `In a world where ... violence rules.' `In a world where ... men are slaves and women are the conquerors.' You very rapidly set the scene."
LaFontaine insisted he never cared that no one knew his name or his face, though everyone knew his voice.
LaFontaine went on to work in the promo industry in the early 1960s. As an audio engineer, he produced radio spots for movies with producer Floyd Peterson.

When an announcer didn't show up for a recording session in 1965, LaFontaine voiced his first narration, a promo for the film, "Gunfighters of Casa Grande." The client, Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer, liked his performance.
LaFontaine remained active until recently, averaging seven to 10 voiceover sessions a day. He worked from a home studio his wife nicknamed "The Hole," where his fax machine delivered scripts.
LaFontaine is survived by his wife, the singer and actress Nita Whitaker, and three daughters.
His funeral arrangements were pending.

Source: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,414841,00.html
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

That's right, the voiceover guy is dead. :( R.I.P.

Feather Duster
03-09-08, 06:28
OMG I'm gonna miss him:(

Goose
03-09-08, 06:32
Films trailers wont be the same again.

Little-Lara
03-09-08, 06:35
I KNOWWWW! I was soo sad about it. I'm gonna miss him so much. :( :( :(

I thought he was one of the coolest guys in Hollywood. Everytime I saw him on tv, i got really excited. I was so heartbroken when I heard this.

He was just one of those few gifted people who touched a lot of hearts. He will be missed by thousands, no doubt. :(

R.I.P.

rowanlim
03-09-08, 06:49
That's so unfortunate :( RIP.

Goose
03-09-08, 07:16
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJMGS7l0wT8

Punaxe
03-09-08, 07:53
We can always ask Pablo Francesco to do the voices instead... :whi:

Requiescat in pace, good man.

Voni
03-09-08, 08:16
Oh man, what are we going to do for movie trailers now?!

RIP.

peffect
03-09-08, 09:15
Aw; May his soul rest in peace.

jaywalker
03-09-08, 09:16
Just read bout this :(

In a world where only silence remains.. :(

Mr.Burns
03-09-08, 10:01
:yik: I'm going to miss that guy. :(

thanatos
03-09-08, 10:04
Those old style trailers are so dated now, the MGS4 one he did was so bloody cheesy! Hopefully this means alltrailers will dispense with the voiceover now. Obviously I wish he'd retired rather than died though! Quite the legend in the film world and did a lot more than just voice overs!

R.I.P

Lew
03-09-08, 12:38
:( rip.

pizzabob18
03-09-08, 13:06
"in a world, affected by disasters and hopes"

"one man"

"who was the backbone of movie trailers"

"has left us"

"and will be missed"

RIP Don!

Legend Killer
03-09-08, 14:11
Sad news indeed. :(

The first time I actually saw the man behind that voice was in a Geico commercial. RIP Mr LaFontaine and thanks for the many memorable movie intros.

TombRaiderCool
03-09-08, 15:32
RIP, you will be missed. :(

Alive_and_Funky
03-09-08, 17:56
You know, I used to wonder whether the voice on all of those trailers I've seen was the same person or just a lot of different similar-sounding people, but I guess I've found my answer now.

R.I.P.

peeves
04-09-08, 01:54
Oh my Gosh that's so sad I even knew about him and his voice and he was the announcer for fox and he died WTN!:(

takamotosan
04-09-08, 02:13
nooooooo!!!

he was the backbone of the movie industry!

trailers really won't be the same without him.

RIP :(

interstellardave
04-09-08, 03:13
We can always ask Pablo Francesco to do the voices instead... :whi:

Requiescat in pace, good man.

Pablo could certainly do the job!