PDA

View Full Version : Problem!

Lara Lover
03-09-08, 15:19
Hi!

Huge problem, been at Ibiza for 2 weeks and just when ibget home the computer stopped working!

Tured it on it made a few beeps so I opened it up to have a look, cleaned up some dust and now it turns on.

Loading... Then blue screen something like page non (something) area? Ok so I decided to restore, restoring and then windows setup files cannot be moved?

Oh great, so now I hve no OS on my PC, and I can't restore!

Someone help!!

spikejones
03-09-08, 15:31
you tried system restore? or you tried a recovery installation?

did you get into the operating system?

its a bit vague what you are seeing w/o better explanation.

badboy70
03-09-08, 15:32
Can you see the loading screen ?

Try tapping F8 when your PC is booting and see if you can enter Safe Mode.
(turn the pc on, and immediately start tapping it - not button bashing tho )

Lara Lover
03-09-08, 16:12
I can't do that.

Bascically, I formated my HD to get the OS (XP) installed but it won't install assetup stops
Moving files over. Now, all I can do is turn the PC on and that's it.

But before I reformatted it gave me a blue screen of some PAGE Non ? AREA and I have no idea an I think that's the problem.

badboy70
03-09-08, 16:22
Did you get :

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

It seems the thing that most resembled your description.

Did you
- Add, remove or replace hardware
- Did you use a USB stick or any removable hardware the last time your PC worked

This is what Microsoft says :

Explanation:
This Stop message occurs when requested data is not found in memory. The system generates a fault, which normally indicates that the system looks for data in the paging file. In this circumstance, however, the missing data is identified as being located within an area of memory that cannot be paged out to disk. The system faults, but cannot find, the data and is unable to recover. Faulty hardware, a buggy system service, antivirus software, and a corrupted NTFS volume can all generate this type of error.

User Action:
This Stop message usually occurs after the installation of faulty hardware or in the event of failure of installed hardware (usually related to defective RAM, either main memory, L2 RAM cache, or video RAM). If hardware has been added to the system recently, remove it to see if the error recurs. If existing hardware has failed, remove or replace the faulty component. Run hardware diagnostics supplied by the system manufacturer. For details on these procedures, see the owners manual for your computer. Another cause of this Stop message is the installation of a buggy system service. Disable the service and determine if this resolves the error. If so, contact the manufacturer of the system service about a possible update. If the error occurs during system startup, restart your computer, and press F8 at the character-mode menu that displays the operating system choices. At the resulting Windows 2000 Advanced Options menu, choose the Last Known Good Configuration option. This option is most effective when only one driver or service is added at a time. Antivirus software can also trigger this Stop message. Disable the program and determine if this resolves the error. If it does, contact the manufacturer of the program about a possible update. A corrupted NTFS volume can also generate this Stop message. Run Chkdsk /f /r to detect and repair disk errors. Restart the system before the disk scan begins on a system partition. If the hard disk is SCSI, check for problems between the SCSI controller and the disk. Finally, check the System Log in Event Viewer for additional error messages that might help pinpoint the device or driver causing the error. Disabling memory caching of the BIOS might also resolve it. For more troubleshooting information about this Stop message, refer to the Microsoft Knowledge Base at http://support.microsoft.com/support.

Lara Lover
03-09-08, 17:13
Yes - that's the message. So, I have to chk disk?! And how do I do that on the
Main screen without XP?

badboy70
03-09-08, 17:43
Yeah, I'm looking it up how to get your PC to do it.

Do you have a floppy drive ?

Did you use any removable hardware ( e.g. USB stick ) last time you used the PC ?

spikejones
03-09-08, 17:45
try running that from the windows XP installation disk recovery console (command line stuff).

put in the disc
reboot comp
boot from disc instead of hard drive
hopefully the disc will boot and you can view the options on the disc to see what button you need to press to enter the recovery console

choose which installation to log into - usually the only one there - C drive
enter the admin name and password (if you did not create one when you first installed the OS, this stuff should be blank - so just press enter twice) if you did not set one or the info is not blank, you will need to refer to your OEM documentation (or talk to the person/store who installed the OS to get this info)

run the command listed at the first command prompt.

badboy70
03-09-08, 17:52
It could also be a BIOS or RAM problem. Did you change the RAM ?

Try using an earlier or newer BIOS.

Lara Lover
03-09-08, 18:56
Chkdsk does not work - it says "the volume appears to contain one or
More unrecoverable problems."

EscondeR
03-09-08, 19:17
1. Do you have any USB HDD or Flash drive still plugged to your PC?

2. What's the boot order in your BIOS setup?
Press DEL or F2 at boot, go to Boot section > Boot sequence and check, your system drive (HDD) must be first in the list.

3. You still can boot from Windows XP Installation CD, as Spikejones suggested, and run WinXP installation process, choose "Repair current installation" instead of "New installation" and proceed. Thus your WinXP will be repaired with current settings and user data.

Lara Lover
03-09-08, 19:31
Ok the HD wasn't first - then I moved it first and now I get to 46% setup like Windows Installation files and gives me a new message:

Irql_not_less_or_equal. help!!

EscondeR
03-09-08, 19:33
Did you install any new drivers recently or plug any new hardware? If yes, what exactly?

Lara Lover
03-09-08, 19:40
No, I don't think so. Not recently.

EscondeR
03-09-08, 19:47
1. What was the last new hardware installed?

2. Try the following, enter the BIOS setup (DEL or F2), and revert to BIOS default values (may be in Exit section, or as a separate section, depending on your BIOS), then Save and Exit. Then try WinXP installation again.

Lara Lover
03-09-08, 19:54
1. I don't remember?! I think it might have been a 1GB MP3 player.

I've tried restoring the BIOS tondefaults but the XP installation is the same.

EscondeR
03-09-08, 20:06
Bascically, I formated my HD to get the OS (XP) installed but it won't install assetup stops
Moving files over. Now, all I can do is turn the PC on and that's it.

But before I reformatted it gave me a blue screen of some PAGE Non ? AREA and I have no idea an I think that's the problem.

Well... As you have already formatted the system drive, it won't harm to do it again (after reverting to BIOS defaults) in process of Windows installation (Choose "Format this partition using NTFS file system").

Lara Lover
03-09-08, 20:24
I finally got it to restore but some
Files did not install and ofcourse XP wouldn't load up so I can do a chkdsk now and I did chkdsk /r but it's stuck on 50% for about a
Min is that ok?

EscondeR
04-09-08, 05:46
Reformat the system drive within WinXP installation process. It seems you have a logical "bad sector".

I can provide you software for drive remapping (will 95% sure restore your HDD working state), but it'll also kills info from the entire physical drive, so backup will be necessary.

Lara Lover
04-09-08, 15:41
Chkdsk done and XP wouldn't work so I decided to reinstall XP and now I get the Page Fault in Nonpaged area :(

Lara Lover
04-09-08, 16:09
I just done a hard drive diagonasics and it said failed: read code 7
:(

spikejones
04-09-08, 17:21
you may just need a new hard drive. but i was kinda wondering if your hard drive is properly connected?

Lara Lover
04-09-08, 17:49
yes it's connected

EscondeR
04-09-08, 19:00
What drive BTW IDE or SATA?

SATA has two small connectors. IDE - one long connector for data and one short 4 pin power connector.

Lara Lover
04-09-08, 20:43
Sata - so does that mean I gotta buy a new HD?!

EscondeR
05-09-08, 06:07
Check the cables, try connecting to another connector on motherboard.
If nothing works again, then your HDD is most likely faulty.

Lara Lover
05-09-08, 22:50
Ok, I'll try that tomorrow as it is late now.

Lara Lover
06-09-08, 09:18
Didn't work. :wve:

Going to grab a new harddrive today sometime so, I need your help. My HD model on my PC is ST3160023AS 160GB, it's SATA too. Would this HD be OK to replace?

http://www.pcworld.co.uk/martprd/store/pcw_page.jsp?BV_SessionID=@@@@1963604631.122069248 9@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccciadefdhmgjedcflgceggdhhmdfhm.0&page=Product&fm=null&sm=null&tm=null&sku=518720&category_oid=

:)

EscondeR
06-09-08, 16:43
Better buy Seagate one - THIS ONE (http://www.dabs.com/ProductView.aspx?Quicklinx=4TJH&CategorySelectedId=11154&PageMode=1&NavigationKey=11154,50410,42240000&InMerch=1) for example.