PDA

View Full Version : Soldier ban explanation demanded

Mad Tony
04-09-08, 15:39
The Armed Forces Minister has written to a hotel demanding it explains why it refused an injured soldier a room.

Corporal Tomos Stringer, 23, from Gwynedd, was visiting a wounded friend in Surrey when he was turned away and had to spend the night in his car.
He was on leave from Afghanistan after breaking his wrist.

The Metro Hotel, Woking today received abusive calls and apologised for a receptionist's "mistake" but minister Bob Ainsworth wants an explanation.
A Ministry of Defence spokesman said: "We are very surprised that any company would adopt a policy to exclude members of the armed forces who generally enjoy great respect and gratitude for their professionalism, courage and bravery. "Our service men and women make great sacrifices on behalf of us all, and they deserve our wholehearted support."

Military ID

Corp Stringer, of 23 Air Assault Support Regiment, the Royal Logistic Corps, was refused a room at the hotel under its "no military personnel" policy.
He was visiting a wounded colleague in the area in June and was home from Afghanistan on recovery leave after breaking his wrist jumping out of a wagon.

He has since returned to Afghanistan but his mother, Gaynor Stringer, said he was still angry at his treatment.
The hotel receptionist asked to see his identification and when he showed his military ID card, she told him military personnel were not welcome.
Mrs Stringer, who lives at Pentrefelin, near Criccieth, said: "That was at 10 o'clock on a Sunday night. He slept in the car that night. He just couldn't believe what had happened.

She added: "I can't believe this has happened to one of our soldiers in his own country. He just didn't know how to react.
"We've been to America and their military get treated like heroes over there.

"I think it's terrible they [UK service personnel] can't even wear their uniform with pride."
Defence Minister Derek Twigg said: "This case is especially egregious given that the individual concerned was on injury leave from Afghanistan and visiting an injured colleague.

Full story and source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/7598523.stm
----------------------------------------------------------------------

This is absolutely sickening. I completely agree with Mrs Stringer, it is absolutely disgusting that British military personnel can't wear their uniform with pride. Our military personnel should receive the utmost respect, especially those serving overseas. Yet they don't.

Goose
04-09-08, 15:44
I dont know whats worse, the fact he was turned away days after coming back from afghan, or that the place was allowed to have a 'no squaddie' stance in the first place!

Oddly enough, if i remember correctly there is no such regiment in the RLC, 23 Air Assault is a Royal Engineers regiment, theres a 13 RLC in the Para role though?

Naomichi
04-09-08, 15:49
Hmmm... Having been on a night out in Aldershot once when a group of squaddies kicked off, and considering I was later told it was a regular occurance, I can't honestly say it surprises me that some places do it.

That's not to say I agree, but I get an idea of where it comes from.

Mad Tony
04-09-08, 15:54
Hmmm... Having been on a night out in Aldershot once when a group of squaddies kicked off, and considering I was later told it was a regular occurance, I can't honestly say it surprises me that some places do it.

That's not to say I agree, but I get an idea of where it comes from.Most military personnel aren't as bad as people think. I know, because my big brother is serving in the Royal Navy right now. Yeah, some are bad but that's exactly the same with any profession. I don't see why military personnel are singled out. That's why the mere idea of this is utterly pathetic.

Goose
04-09-08, 15:55

That's not to say I agree, but I get an idea of where it comes from.

Depends when you went, back in the day it was Depot Para, and it would have been a hive of fighting, im not sure who's there now as a home unit but i know its mainly used for RLC trade training as there was a bunch of murders there not so long ago.

They claimed they were all suicides or somthing, even though some of the bodies had quite a few holes in them.

Naomichi
04-09-08, 15:58
Oh believe me I know, my godfather was in the army, and I've got a good friend in the airforce, but the problem is that in some areas they're very identifiable. As I said I don't like it, but I see to a degree why they chose to do it.

Mad Tony
04-09-08, 16:02
Oh believe me I know, my godfather was in the army, and I've got a good friend in the airforce, but the problem is that in some areas they're very identifiable. As I said I don't like it, but I see to a degree why they chose to do it.What do you mean by identifiable?

Goose
04-09-08, 16:05
Oh believe me I know, my godfather was in the army, and I've got a good friend in the airforce, but the problem is that in some areas they're very identifiable. As I said I don't like it, but I see to a degree why they chose to do it.

Catterick, Pirbright/Brookwood, Cholchester and Aldershot are to military personel what Brighton and Soho are to Homosexuals.

If a business saw what happens on the other side of the peer in brighton each night and banned gays, he'd be in serious trouble.

SamReeves
04-09-08, 16:07
Welcome to the snobby UK I suppose? Pretty bad.

tlr online
04-09-08, 16:10
Pretty disgraceful way to treat a solider. I hope that receptionist feels safe and secure, knowing that these guys are out there protecting her.

Goose
04-09-08, 16:12
Pretty disgraceful way to treat a solider. I hope that receptionist feels safe and secure, knowing that these guys are out there protecting her.

She's exercising the rights that my father, grandfather and great grandfather fought for and she doesnt even know it.

tlr online
04-09-08, 16:14
She's exercising the rights that my father, grandfather and great grandfather fought for and she doesnt even know it.

Can you expand on that Goose.

Forwen
04-09-08, 16:17
Mind-boggling. Regardless of politics that steer the wars, military personnel should be regarded as one of the most prestigious jobs in existence.

The fluffy pink bubble of security that surrounds Western Europe seems to have caused a lot of its citizens to lose touch with reality.

Goose
04-09-08, 16:17
Can you expand on that Goose.

My Great Grandfather fought the Germans in World War one after they moved in to Belgium, he was in the Engineers (was mentioned in dispatches for bravery), My grand father fought in world war two in the Cheshire Regiment as a Sergeant, my Father fought in Northern Ireland against the IRAs terror campaign in NI and main land Briton as a L/Sgt in the Grenadier Guards.

Service before self is part of the armies core values (its not part of the Cdrils but its ment by one of them).

interstellardave
04-09-08, 16:39

Accchhhh... I misunderstood something.

Goose
04-09-08, 16:42
Whether theres a war or not, they defend and have defended briton for centuries.

Naomichi
04-09-08, 17:29
What do you mean by identifiable?

Pretty much what I said, in area where they tend to hang out they're easy to spot. As Goose said in certain towns you know they're there and when they go out in groups they're easy to spot.

Goose
04-09-08, 17:33
Pretty much what I said, in area where they tend to hang out they're easy to spot. As Goose said in certain towns you know they're there and when they go out in groups they're easy to spot.

Thats the problem, groups, but for the most part they are harmless, and more trust worthy to have around then chav scum. If your in trouble you can always count on squaddies to help as others in there nice authoritive suits and brief cases shuffle by quickly.

But to say that not even a squddie on his own with no friend in sight, only one in pain in the hospital from serving his country, isnt allowed to stay the night in a vacant room, that is disgusting.

Angel666
04-09-08, 21:08
I'm confused. Why are soldiers treated like that in the UK? :confused:

Mad Tony
04-09-08, 21:14
I'm confused. Why are soldiers treated like that in the UK? :confused:Who knows. All I know is a lot ignorant people out there look down on our armed forces, and it disgusts me. Actually, WWII veterans are even treated badly, by our own government. They fought fought for us and our freedom, yet they get nothing.

Angel666
04-09-08, 21:31
That makes no sense. :( Ignorance will be the downfall of our civilization.

Draco
04-09-08, 22:26
Some people think that without soldiers, the world would be better off. So their way of expressing that is spurning the soldiers.

rowanlim
05-09-08, 01:32
That's a terrible attitude. I'm not sure what it's like there, but I think that's just inconsiderate & ungrateful of that clerk.

Gregori
05-09-08, 02:10
The fluffy pink bubble of security that surrounds Western Europe seems to have caused a lot of its citizens to lose touch with reality.

The reality is that people in western europe haven't been safer, so people act accordingly. they're actually quite in touch. The most realistic threat to european nations right now is terrorism and the solutions to that are pretty much non-millitary.

I've no idea why they refused this guy admission, but I assume they have some good reason for their policy- not just spite. Business is not one for turning down money afterall. I'm surprised you can have such a discriminatory policy though.