PDA

View Full Version : Guild Wars & WoW

pEhouse
07-09-08, 15:23
Okay, I've been playing WoW for a while, first time ever playing an online game like that. I heard people talkin about Guild Wars, but I never really paid attention until today. Are there people here who play/have played both? Are they really as similar as they look, and would a WoW-player like Guild Wars? Because I'm thinkin I should switch to Guild Wars (especially because there's no monthly fee), and I'd like some advice.

Thanks in advance :wve:

viper456
07-09-08, 15:48
Guild Wars is highly addictive as most other games in this genre. Its not a "proper" MMORPG simply because you can go through the whole thing without having to actually talk or party with another user, you can use computer controlled henchmen as party members. Also you can only level to 20 then you just improve on other stuff but do not level any higher. Like you already know there is the huge plus of no online fees and also there are quite a few expansions which give you more stories and classes etc.

It is a really good game with really nice graphics and I would be very surprised if you didn't enjoy it if you like this sort of game.

irjudd
07-09-08, 16:42
I actually have both WoW and Guild Wars. If you are a WoW player going into Guild Wars expecting it to feel similar, you will be severely disappointed. Its not better or worse, its just much much different.

Personally, I like WoW for the persistent world (I play on PVP realms) where I can attack the opposing faction any time. I like battlegrounds, I like crafting professions, I like the community. Guild Wars is completely instanced unless you are in a city.

Like the above post, its not really a MMORPG, so if thats what you want, look elsewhere.

Oh yeah and a couple other things that annoyed the hell out of me about GW compared to WoW.

1. There is no "jump" button.
2. The landscape forces you to follow only certain terrain paths. For example, you are on a ledge and see a mob below, you can't just jump or fall down, you have to find the path that leads to him even though he's only 10 feet away.
3. I never found any kind of auction house for new items. In fact, the "customize" items thing never made sense to me as it didn't let me craft anything new or useful.
4. Its a huge pain in the ass to find someone in a city. Even when they're in your group, they don't show up on the big map to find where the person is. Although this may have been changed in a patch since I last played.
5. You can only have a limited number of skills equipped at a time. I think its 8. And if you leave the city on a quest, you can't change what skills you have equipped until you go back to the city.
6. PuGs for the Arena are a total nightmare. In wow, if you jump into a battleground you can usually have a good time. But these 4 on 4 games are never coordinated, and you won't see any kind of rewards for playing them for a LONG time.

Olabelle
07-09-08, 18:51
I started playing Guild Wars not long after it came out, before I even thought of picking up WoW.

Really thought GW was unbelievably awesome, and at first, it is.

Beautiful graphics, lush enviroments, and an interesting storyline. And I absolutely loved how they handled the holidays on there.

The only main problem with it is, once you've beaten the game, you've beaten it. And that's it. Even if you start another class of character and begin again, you're doing the same missions all over again, with no change. Just a differant pretty person to look at.

As for the pvp aspect...... I think I did it maybe a dozen times max in two years. Abysmal.

I used to be all anti - WoW, but once I started playing that, I couldn't get back into GW. It felt far too limited.

In WoW, you know you've got almost a limitless world to explore. You can swim in the ocean for hours, meander around the desert, trek through a rain forest, and there's ALWAYS new stuff being added, ya know?

Unless they come out with another expansion, or it's a holiday on GW, you're going to be doing the same thing, over, and over, and over.

Get a trial of it first, definately.

Archetype
07-09-08, 19:33
WoW ftw

irjudd
07-09-08, 19:59
If you're really really really set on finding a "free" MMO, I'd recommend trying out Perfect World. I installed it today and have been testing out how it stacks up. So far so good. A few silly design choices, but overall, impressive for something I didn't have to purchase.

Domino
07-09-08, 20:05
If you're really really really set on finding a "free" MMO, I'd recommend trying out Perfect World. I installed it today and have been testing out how it stacks up. So far so good. A few silly design choices, but overall, impressive for something I didn't have to purchase.

Downloading now.

I've never touched WoW, I hate paying for something I've already paid for, so it's GW all the way for me. Okay, it does suck in places but hopefully it's flaws will be gone come Guild Wars 2, next year!

irjudd
07-09-08, 21:52
Downloading now.

I've never touched WoW, I hate paying for something I've already paid for, so it's GW all the way for me. Okay, it does suck in places but hopefully it's flaws will be gone come Guild Wars 2, next year!I'm excited for GW2!! Let me know how you like Perfect World. I'm on the PVP realm. I think theres only 2 servers to choose from right now.

Domino
08-09-08, 20:25
I've been playing the PVE realm, and it's quite good. GW should take hint of certain things - jumps, hills. Hope it stays free!

Gotta say though, playing GW for however many years means I'm used to playing MMO's like that, not like other MMORPG's. Dunno, guess I'll always love GW!

pEhouse
11-09-08, 09:30

I've tried to download and install this game for 3 days now, at first the downloads always stopped and then when I finally had all 4 parts on my computer, there was an error message that some files are corrupted and I have to download again. The game looks nice, but no thanks :wve:
I guess I'll be staying with WoW. ;)

Squiffy
11-09-08, 22:06
I'm a WoW player and I've tried GW. I found the interface extremely unintuitive and difficult to use. Things like party chat and questlines were very confusing for me in that game, but the graphics were nice. I quit after about a week because I just couldn't take it.
I don't recommend GW to anyone, mostly because the terrain thing where you can't run up a hill is really annoying.

irjudd
11-09-08, 22:29
I really think Guild Wars would be a great game as long as you come into it without any previous MMO experience, or at least try to drop all of your MMO expectations first.

Isaac
11-09-08, 22:48
I'm a WoW player and I've tried GW. I found the interface extremely unintuitive and difficult to use. Things like party chat and questlines were very confusing for me in that game, but the graphics were nice. I quit after about a week because I just couldn't take it.
I don't recommend GW to anyone, mostly because the terrain thing where you can't run up a hill is really annoying.

It's not the game's fault if you couldn't get used to the Interface ;).

"Game experience", ever heard of that?

You got used, as a WoW player, to WoW's interface, gameplay, buttons... And then, you jumped in a completely different game, with other buttons, a new gameplay, a new style. It's obvious that it will be difficult at first...

It's like if I was playing Tomb Raider and then a Role Playing game and say "The gameplay is unintuitive!!!!". :rolleyes:

Weird enough, I played many MMORPG, each of them with a new gameplay engine, new buttons...WoW included... and I have never find GW's gameplay unintuitive.

It's a matter of opinion. You find it difficult, that doesn't mean it is.