PDA

View Full Version : Top 100 PS games of all time (tr1 and 2)

touchthesky
08-09-08, 13:55
Posted this here because it seems to fit more.

In Play magazine this month there is a free wee book of the 100 best ps games of all time.

Here is what it says about both TR and TR2.

13. Tomb Raider II
Format: PSONE.

With her massive baps and blatant disregard for animal protection laws, Ms Crofts second adventure was undoubtedly her best. Less sedate than the first game and much prettier, Tomb Raider II was more of a ***** with precision jumps than ever, but adopted a balance between action and puzzles that served the series well. Suddenly, gun play was just as important as ridiculously difficult jumps and key collecting, as lara had to face off against a number of various opponents-this time she was actually shooting people! Bad girl, Lady Croft. Still, Tomb Raider II is well worth celebrating, if only because the series slid slowly downhill from here, before becoming the post-awful wash-up that it is today.

What we said: "Tomb Raider II is an enthralling giant of a game, packed with countless delights asnd a mammoth challenge to keep you playing for endless weeks."

36. Tomb Raider.
Format:PSone.

Touted as a female Indiana Jones (the bra size gave it away), Lara Croft was introduced to the world through the PSones most inventive puzzle game, which went to be a critical darling and monster seller. The story, armed by Lara's competing quest for artifacts, played second fiddle to the revolutionary way in which she interacted with each environment, sometimes with frightening precision. Core Design was a savvy, intelligent developer-it almost always rewarded players appropriately, for their efforts with the games tough puzzles (a T-Rex battle, anyone?). Although built upon sensibly in the second title, Tomb Raider remains a cornerstone in the adventure genre, starting the series-long trend of running synonymously with the Playstation brand.

What we said: "A superb Indiana Jones-style adventure, the combination of perfect herione and premise produces some revolutionary results."

There is also a small 2 page article on Underworld, so if you want that typed up ask and I'll type it up in the Underworld bitty :)!

Crisl
08-09-08, 14:17
Wow, 13th place is great :tmb: But Im quite surprised that TR2 is on a better position than TR1. But theyre both on pretty good positions :)
And btw - can you tell me what was on the 1st place? :cln: (I love reading through these lists of best games).

touchthesky
08-09-08, 14:39
GTA: San Andreas is number 1.

If anyone wants the full list I can give that, too :)!

Assassino
08-09-08, 14:46
Yeah please:)
[Though I thought Vice City was better]

TombRaiderLover
08-09-08, 14:46
San Andreas is overrated.

Great to see the two games so high on the list. But where's the other Core TR games?! :mad: :p

Crisl
08-09-08, 14:52

Thank you :wve:
And the full list would be great! :jmp: But 100 games is too much, isnt it? :) Top ten would be fine for me, pleeeaaaseee :D

touchthesky
08-09-08, 15:19
100. Spyro the dragon
99. Silent bomber
98. Micro machines V4
97. Colony wars
96. Scyphon filter
95. Doom
94. Air Combat
93. We love Katamari
92. Anna Kornakova smash court tennis
91. Broken Sword
90. Time crisis
89. Vagrant story
88. God hand
87. Ape escape
86. Cool boarders
85. Dinasty warriors 3
84. Everybodys golf two
83. die hard trilogy
82. final fantasy x
81. project zero
80. twisted metal:black
79. ridge racer
78. r-type delta
77. bishi bashi special
76. GTA
75. Rollcage
74. super puzzle fighter II turbo
73. wipeout pure
72. silent hill
71. amplitude
70. dead or alive 2
69. Onimusha 2 samurais destiny
68. parasyte eve
67. street fighter alpa 2
66. motor storm
65. disgaea:hour of darkness
64. medal of honor front line
63. hitman 2: silent assasin
62. singstar
61. bushido blade
60. viewtiful joe
59. ssx
58. crash bandicoot
57. driver
56. patapon
55. dino crisis
54. alien ressurection
53. star wars battle front
52. parappa the rapper
51. jack and daxter: the precurser legacy
50. soul blade
49. ridge racer (ps1; the other was psp)
48. beyond good & evil
47. worms
46. wwe: smack down: here comes the pain
45. castlevania symphony of the night
44. colin mckray rally
43. rez
42. virtua fighter 4
41. kingdom hearts
40. okkami
39. frequancy
38. silent hill 2
37. Soul calibar 3
36. Tomb raider
35. tony hawks pro skater 2
34. prince of persia sands of time
33. pixel junk monsters
32. toca 2: touring cars
31. locorocco
30. rage racer
29. ico
28. uncharted: drakes fortune
27. oddworld: abes oddysee
26. call of duty 4 modern warfare
25. devil may cry 3: dantes awakening special edition
24. god of war
23. burnout 2: point of impact
22. time splitters 2
21. metal gear solid 3: snake eater
20. resident evil 2
19. gran turismo 4
18. resident evil
17. wipeout 2097
16. shadow of the colossus
15. the elder scrolls IV oblivion
14. devil may cry
13. tomb raider II
12. tekken 2
11. gran turismo 2
10. god of war 2
9. guitar hero 2
8. final fantasy VII
7. grand theft auto III
6. GTA: VICE CITY
5. gta IV
4. metal gear solid
3. pro evolution soccer 6
2. resident evil 4
1. gta: san andreas

I apologise if there is a ton of mistakes, my boyfriend was reading them out and I was typing :)

lara_rocks
08-09-08, 15:21

Why's that number 1, it isn't amazing.

Good to see tomb raider 2 so high up in the list :)

Assassino
08-09-08, 15:22
Spyro 100th!!!!! *dies*

I actually haven't played the majority of those games so I can't comment on the list as a whole, though it's looking good to me:)
Cheers!

Crisl
08-09-08, 15:23
OMG, you really typed it all :yik: Thanks sooo much :hug: Now Im gonna read and compare it with my games ;)

Immortalis08
08-09-08, 16:42
Oh wow. Thank you for posting all of that! :tmb:

Its great and rewarding to see Tomb Raider and one of my other favs, Parasite Eve on the top 100 list. In my opinion, compared to other games on that list, I really don't feel that GTA: San Andreas earned that spot.

pneboy
08-09-08, 17:17
wasnt this in gamesmaster a couple months ago in issue 200 free booklet because the last lot sound familiar, i cant check till around 9,10 im stuck at work

TR freak
08-09-08, 18:13
Agree 100% with the top two. San Andreas is easily my favourite game of all time by a mile and RE4 is definitely my second fav game of all time. However I am confused as to how the hell Tekken 2 gets no.12 yet Tekken 3 isn't even on the list. Most of the list I disagree with actually, but this is probably the only list of its kind I've seen that I actually agree with anything at all.

Lara Croft!
08-09-08, 18:19
Βoth are good places, especially for TR2.... Wooohooo!!!!!!!!:jmp:

Nemo_91
08-09-08, 18:37
Thanks for the list, Vicky :tmb: TR1 & TR2 totally deserved their places :D

touchthesky
08-09-08, 18:48
No problem guys.

The list certainly brought back a lot of memories for me!

Soul Blade..(I still play that game!)
Rage Racer...
Abe...

Awh I wish I could buy all the games on the list.

Tombreaper
08-09-08, 19:24
GTA San Andreas #1? yeah right, the game s**k.

Tomb Raider II is a zillions times better.

Death Mask
08-09-08, 19:37
GTA: San Andres seriously does not deserve the number 1 spot.

Imo Metal Gear Solid should be number 1, because it is a classic, it was the first game ever to give players a truly great cinematic experience mixed with a superb story through out the game, even today many players rank it as the best game ever made.

Aphrodite22
08-09-08, 21:14

:yah:

thank u :)

GTA: San Andres seriously does not deserve the number 1 spot.

i totally agree with u in that!

Lara's home
08-09-08, 21:16
I disagree with the list.
Good to see TR there, but GTA (none of them) is not the worlds best game. Subjective, of course.

ivannnnn
08-09-08, 21:52
GTA deserves it. :jmp:

Oh TR never get a first place...

MadCroy101
08-09-08, 21:54
Why's that number 1, it isn't amazing.

Good to see tomb raider 2 so high up in the list :)

I agree, way to overrated for a game.

Agent 47
08-09-08, 22:08
I agree, way to overrated for a game.

but it's the best game evah and totalee deefined gaming!!! kleenex tissues sold out becuz of eet

Note: i'm taking the mick, i agree GTA SA is way overrated and unworthy of no'1 spot, good game but nothing special :D bit like IV really

peeves
08-09-08, 22:13
100. Spyro the dragon
99. Silent bomber
98. Micro machines V4
97. Colony wars
96. Scyphon filter
95. Doom
94. Air Combat
93. We love Katamari
92. Anna Kornakova smash court tennis
91. Broken Sword
90. Time crisis
89. Vagrant story
88. God hand
87. Ape escape
86. Cool boarders
85. Dinasty warriors 3
84. Everybodys golf two
83. die hard trilogy
82. final fantasy x
81. project zero
80. twisted metal:black
79. ridge racer
78. r-type delta
77. bishi bashi special
76. GTA
75. Rollcage
74. super puzzle fighter II turbo
73. wipeout pure
72. silent hill
71. amplitude
70. dead or alive 2
69. Onimusha 2 samurais destiny
68. parasyte eve
67. street fighter alpa 2
66. motor storm
65. disgaea:hour of darkness
64. medal of honor front line
63. hitman 2: silent assasin
62. singstar
61. bushido blade
60. viewtiful joe
59. ssx
58. crash bandicoot
57. driver
56. patapon
55. dino crisis
54. alien ressurection
53. star wars battle front
52. parappa the rapper
51. jack and daxter: the precurser legacy
50. soul blade
49. ridge racer (ps1; the other was psp)
48. beyond good & evil
47. worms
46. wwe: smack down: here comes the pain
45. castlevania symphony of the night
44. colin mckray rally
43. rez
42. virtua fighter 4
41. kingdom hearts
40. okkami
39. frequancy
38. silent hill 2
37. Soul calibar 3
36. Tomb raider
35. tony hawks pro skater 2
34. prince of persia sands of time
33. pixel junk monsters
32. toca 2: touring cars
31. locorocco
30. rage racer
29. ico
28. uncharted: drakes fortune
27. oddworld: abes oddysee
26. call of duty 4 modern warfare
24. god of war
23. burnout 2: point of impact
22. time splitters 2
21. metal gear solid 3: snake eater
20. resident evil 2
19. gran turismo 4
18. resident evil
17. wipeout 2097
16. shadow of the colossus
15. the elder scrolls IV oblivion
14. devil may cry
13. tomb raider II
12. tekken 2
11. gran turismo 2
10. god of war 2
9. guitar hero 2
8. final fantasy VII
7. grand theft auto III
5. gta IV
4. metal gear solid
2. resident evil 4

I apologise if there is a ton of mistakes, my boyfriend was reading them out and I was typing :)
I'm surprised Gex ain't in the list. What a shock and syphon filter at 96 :yik:

TripOpt55
08-09-08, 22:46
Well, thanks for putting this up touchthesky, it was a lot to type. I love to see lists like this. Having said that, I think this list is pretty bad. I realize it is very difficult to make these lists especially order them, but I just don't know what they were thinking with some of the rankings and selections/ommisions. I guess it's all subjective, so, whatever. Also, am I mistaken or is there no Ratchet & Clank game on that list. Sometimes it's easy to overlook stuff in long lists like this, but I didn't see it. I can't believe it wouldn't get a game on there (I would say Up Your Arsenal myself, but Going Commando would work, too).

peeves
08-09-08, 22:49
Also whatever happened to TR's 3-6 on the list? It didn't make it what a shock and pity. :yik: :(

Mad Tony
09-09-08, 06:11
Pro Evolution 6 ahead of Metal Gear Solid?
Who did this list? And Metal Gear Solid 2 isn't even on the list at all.

iamlaracroft
09-09-08, 06:21
10. god of war 2
9. guitar hero 2
8. final fantasy VII
7. grand theft auto III
5. gta IV
4. metal gear solid
2. resident evil 4

gee, was someone bias much or what?
four GTA titles in the top ten??
and TR1 is further down on the list than Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey????
Don't get me wrong, I friggin love Odyssey and Exodus but wtf--those two don't compare to Tomb Raider!

strange priority list.
:whi:

TR freak
09-09-08, 11:06
gee, was someone bias much or what?
four GTA titles in the top ten??
and TR1 is further down on the list than Oddworld: Abe's Odyssey????
Don't get me wrong, I friggin love Odyssey and Exodus but wtf--those two don't compare to Tomb Raider!

strange priority list.
:whi:

Maybe they think the GTA series is the best series of all time and think the GTA games should be that high in the list? I certainly do, though I wouldn't have put GTA3 that high. Was good back then but it hasn't aged all that well when compared to the others in the series imo.

Palace Midas
10-09-08, 21:02
It's very difficult to make a list with al of my favorite games on all the systems. I can only say that Tomb Raider is one of the best games i ever played next to games like GoldenEye, Super Mario 64, Timesplitters 2 & 3, Twilight Princess, Super Mario Galaxy...etc. For a PS1 game i think TR is the best game on that system. Other great PS1 titles are Driver, Crash Team Racing, Ace Combat 2 and of course TRII and TRIII.

But my all-time favorite is: Ocarina of Time!

peeves
10-09-08, 21:24
What about Fighting Force how come that didn't make the list? It was another great game. I don't get it.:confused: Fighting force should be on there.

KIKO
10-09-08, 21:33
Spyro 2 and crash bandicoot 2 should have been in that list, they were two good games :)

Mad Tony
10-09-08, 21:45
Personally I think the bias towards GTA in this particular list is a nice change. Yeah, bias isn't good but most lists such as this have them. Normally these lists are biased towards Final Fantasy or Mario. Still, no bias would've been better though.

TRhalloween
10-09-08, 21:55
Personally I think the bias towards GTA in this particular list is a nice change. Yeah, bias isn't good but most lists such as this have them. Normally these lists are biased towards Final Fantasy or Mario. Still, no bias would've been better though.

That's biased.

I don't understand why they would put so many GTAs on that list

Mad Tony
10-09-08, 22:04
That's biased.

I don't understand why they would put so many GTAs on that listYes, I know it is, and I admitted that. I'm not denying that the list is biased, it is, and it's a bad thing. I was just saying that, compared to other lists I've seen, it's a nice change because normally these sorts of lists are biased towards Final Fantasy and Mario. As I said, no bias at all would be best.

Palace Midas
11-09-08, 15:30
Not a PS game but still worth to discuss this epic title:

Does any one played a game called 'Ocarina of Time'? You know..that masterpiece that came out in 1998. Epic, Huge overworld (for the time), briljant designed dungeons and temples, atmospheric soundtrack...etc...and for the first time in 3D! The only game i prefer above Tomb Raider.

TR freak
11-09-08, 20:59
Not a PS game but still worth to discuss this epic title:

Does any one played a game called 'Ocarina of Time'? You know..that masterpiece that came out in 1998. Epic, Huge overworld (for the time), briljant designed dungeons and temples, atmospheric soundtrack...etc...and for the first time in 3D! The only game i prefer above Tomb Raider.

Most overrated game of all time imo. It's ok to decent at best but most of the game is just boring as hell. The Zelda series isn't bad in general, but OOT is definitely one of the weaker games in the series. Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are so much better. In fact Twilight Princess is one of my favourite games of all time. Going from TP to OOT is like going from GTA San Andreas to GTA3. Unfortunately thats exactly what I did for both those series.

Palace Midas
12-09-08, 16:46
Most overrated game of all time imo. It's ok to decent at best but most of the game is just boring as hell. The Zelda series isn't bad in general, but OOT is definitely one of the weaker games in the series. Wind Waker and Twilight Princess are so much better. In fact Twilight Princess is one of my favourite games of all time. Going from TP to OOT is like going from GTA San Andreas to GTA3. Unfortunately thats exactly what I did for both those series.

What do you mean with 'most overrated game of all time':confused: And boring...You mean Wind Waker right? Huge ocean with only a couple of islands (some of them are smaller then my backyard) and then the triforce quest at the end of the game (talking about boring stuff). And Twilight Princess did the same job as Ocarina of Time (only better graphics and bigger worlds). The story was different but in terms of location's and dungeons it's the same as OOT (Death Mountain, Kakariko Village, Lake Hylia, Zora's Domain..etc). The only difference between these games is that OOT was the first 3D Zelda, a masterpiece and truly a milestone in videogame-world. Overrated means that almost everyone say that a game is a masterpiece and it get the highest scores on sites..but the game is not a milestone. Whem people played OOT for the first time..it was a special moment. Like playing Tomb Raider or Mario 64 for the first time. And maybe you played OOT in a later period between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. And because of that you don't think that OOT is that special as everybody say.

Just as i did with GTA3: I played it later then Vice City and San Andreas. And that's why i did not like this game that much like the other GTA's. And i think it's a little different with Zelda games because there isn't changing much in terms of gameplay or style. Twilight is just a big brother of Ocarina while San Andreas is more then just a graphical update and a different storyline. It's a different city, different objectives, different people around you and the vibe is different too. Zelda is mostly the same type of game. Only Wind Waker had a cell-shaded style and Majora's Mask did something different with the gameplay. But in the core: Zelda is allways about exploring the overworld (which van be boring..in Wind Waker), walking around in dungeons (water, fire, forest...etc) and more of this stuff. The only boring stuff you can find in a Zelda game is a place where is not much too do. And Hyrule Field is the only place which can be a little boring maybe because there ar not much sidequests and enemies to be found. But then gain, Wind Waker was far more boring if you look at the huge and empty sea.

interstellardave
12-09-08, 16:52
That list is biased towards PS2 games IMO. Bad idea to combine PS1 and PS2 games together--of course these days we'll look more fondly on the PS2 titles!

da tomb raider!
12-09-08, 17:24
San Andreas is number 1? :yik: NO WAY!

TR freak
12-09-08, 18:58
What do you mean with 'most overrated game of all time':confused: And boring...You mean Wind Waker right? Huge ocean with only a couple of islands (some of them are smaller then my backyard) and then the triforce quest at the end of the game (talking about boring stuff). And Twilight Princess did the same job as Ocarina of Time (only better graphics and bigger worlds). The story was different but in terms of location's and dungeons it's the same as OOT (Death Mountain, Kakariko Village, Lake Hylia, Zora's Domain..etc). The only difference between these games is that OOT was the first 3D Zelda, a masterpiece and truly a milestone in videogame-world. Overrated means that almost everyone say that a game is a masterpiece and it get the highest scores on sites..but the game is not a milestone. Whem people played OOT for the first time..it was a special moment. Like playing Tomb Raider or Mario 64 for the first time. And maybe you played OOT in a later period between Wind Waker and Twilight Princess. And because of that you don't think that OOT is that special as everybody say.

Just as i did with GTA3: I played it later then Vice City and San Andreas. And that's why i did not like this game that much like the other GTA's. And i think it's a little different with Zelda games because there isn't changing much in terms of gameplay or style. Twilight is just a big brother of Ocarina while San Andreas is more then just a graphical update and a different storyline. It's a different city, different objectives, different people around you and the vibe is different too. Zelda is mostly the same type of game. Only Wind Waker had a cell-shaded style and Majora's Mask did something different with the gameplay. But in the core: Zelda is allways about exploring the overworld (which van be boring..in Wind Waker), walking around in dungeons (water, fire, forest...etc) and more of this stuff. The only boring stuff you can find in a Zelda game is a place where is not much too do. And Hyrule Field is the only place which can be a little boring maybe because there ar not much sidequests and enemies to be found. But then gain, Wind Waker was far more boring if you look at the huge and empty sea.

OOT is the most overrated game of all time imo because I didn't enjoy the game and it's hailed by many as the greatest game of all time. Overrated means I dont like it but lots of others seem to. I also think the Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid series are overrated. I played TP then OOT then WW btw. OOT just seems like a much, much worse version of Twilight Princess. Large sections of the game were boring. The dungeons weren't bad for the most part, but large sections outside of the dungeons were boring as hell. OOT started off well, then got boring, then got good again, then got boring. The whole game just wasn't as consistantly brilliant as Twilight Princess. It had its brilliant parts but too many long boring sections. It kind of reminds me of Okami actually. Okami also has moments of brilliance but there's too many long boring sections of the game to keep me constantly entertained. As for Wind Waker, it was actually fun for the most part. It was significantly shorter and easier but at least I had fun with it. My only real problem with it is the sailing. Sailing bits were too long and boring. As for Twilight Princess, it absolutely blew me away when I played it. Like I said, going from TP to OOT is like going from San Andreas to GTA3. Out of curiosity, why do you get so annoyed just because someone said something negative about a game you like?

Agent 47
12-09-08, 19:25
going by your definition of overrated you've probably described every major franchise in gaming. :D MGS is indeed overrated, but damn it's good IMO

b0bb13
12-09-08, 19:42
Wow....erm....that list is a piece of crap.You can tell that by only looking at the top 3.The things that bothered me the most are:
1)Silent Hill is on the 72nd place?Right!SH1,2&3 should be on that list in the top 20,imo.
2)Motorstorm on 66th....I love this game,but seriously!
3)Crash only on 58th,was one of the best games I've ever played,even though I only remember that it was a lot of fun!:D
4)Beyond Good & Evil is probably the best game of the last generation and it's only on 48th
5)Uncharted: Drake's Fortune....WTF is this doing here?!:p
6)GTA III,GTA:Vice City,GTA IV and GTA: San Andreas are all in the top 10?Why did they pick such horrible games?I haven't played 4,but the other 3 are absolute overhyped crap.http://www.tombraiderforums.com/images/icons/icon13.gif
7)Resident Evil 4 is 2nd,yay!This game can't even be compared to the old RE games,since it's not even scary anymore.I did jump a few times,but that was it.It's more of an action game now,and RE5 will probably be the same since now it's even sunny.:rolleyes:

And is it me,or MGS4 isn't even on that list,but Pixel Junk Monsters are.:p

Imho,such lists should never ever be made,especially not like this.They chose games from all PS consoles,and I don't think that it's fair to compare them since they're from very different generations.;)

TR freak
12-09-08, 20:06
going by your definition of overrated you've probably described every major franchise in gaming. :D MGS is indeed overrated, but damn it's good IMO

Any and every major franchise can be seen as overrated by anyone. You and many others may see the GTA series as overrated but I dont. I see Ocarina of time as overrated but there's lots of people who dont. It's all about personal preference.

AmericanAssassin
12-09-08, 20:09
I actually dislike San Andreas, to be honest, so this list upsets me. Plus, what the hell is God of War doing ahead of Tomb Raider II? :rolleyes:

Agent 47
12-09-08, 20:21
Any and every major franchise can be seen as overrated by anyone. You and many others may see the GTA series as overrated but I dont. I see Ocarina of time as overrated but there's lots of people who dont. It's all about personal preference.

my post wasn't meant negatively :confused: even stand alone games can fall foul of being labelled overrated :D coughTRLcough

TR freak
12-09-08, 21:39
my post wasn't meant negatively :confused: even stand alone games can fall foul of being labelled overrated :D coughTRLcough

My apologies. I thought you were saying my definition of overrated was wrong or something.

Agent 47
12-09-08, 21:51
My apologies. I thought you were saying my definition of overrated was wrong or something.

nope :D i actually agree with it

TR freak
12-09-08, 22:24
nope :D i actually agree with it

We actually agree on something! Strange, hell doesn't seem to have frozen over :D

Agent 47
12-09-08, 22:29
We actually agree on something! Strange, hell doesn't seem to have frozen over :D

strange isn't it :vlol: i blame that particle beam atom device :pi:

Palace Midas
13-09-08, 14:55
OOT is the most overrated game of all time imo because I didn't enjoy the game and it's hailed by many as the greatest game of all time. Overrated means I dont like it but lots of others seem to. I also think the Final Fantasy and Metal Gear Solid series are overrated. I played TP then OOT then WW btw. OOT just seems like a much, much worse version of Twilight Princess. Large sections of the game were boring. The dungeons weren't bad for the most part, but large sections outside of the dungeons were boring as hell. OOT started off well, then got boring, then got good again, then got boring. The whole game just wasn't as consistantly brilliant as Twilight Princess. It had its brilliant parts but too many long boring sections. It kind of reminds me of Okami actually. Okami also has moments of brilliance but there's too many long boring sections of the game to keep me constantly entertained. As for Wind Waker, it was actually fun for the most part. It was significantly shorter and easier but at least I had fun with it. My only real problem with it is the sailing. Sailing bits were too long and boring. As for Twilight Princess, it absolutely blew me away when I played it. Like I said, going from TP to OOT is like going from San Andreas to GTA3. Out of curiosity, why do you get so annoyed just because someone said something negative about a game you like?

I just discuss with you why you like TP/WW more then OOT...and why you think OOT is overrated in the first place.:). Then Super Mario 64 is overrated too...and Tomb Raider, Halo (allright..maybe that one), GoldenEye, Half Life..etc. If the game is groundbraking and is truly a milestone in general (like OOT) then i don't think it's overrated at all.

Question: Why did you played Twilight Princess before Ocarina of Time? Because i can't see what Ocarina did wrong back in 1998. It's like playing Tomb Raider III, then the first one and finally the the second one. The only difference between these two franchises is the fact that Tomb Raider II and III did not do any wrong. While Wind Waker has canceled stuff and boring gameplay (and of course the cell-shaded style)...and that make OOT a more solid game and less boring. And if you say that OOT just seems like a much, much worse version of Twilight Princess....well..that's the same as saying that Tomb Raider is a much worse version of Tomb Raider III (or any other TR game).

If you look at Twilight Princess, it has the same amound of Dungeons as Ocarina but is stretched out. Even the enormes Hyrule Fields is very bland and has a lot of empty spaces. Ocarina is a far more solid game then Wind Waker if you look at the canceled dungeon and the boring stuff that came instead of that. Wind Waker is still a great game but overall it has more ups and downs then Ocarina had. The only thing that got very boring is the Water Temple but next to that i can't complain about this great game. Even if you played WW before OOT you will find that WW is far from perfect (the things i say before).

And then this quote:

The whole game just wasn't as consistantly brilliant as Twilight Princess.

Remember: Ocarina is older then Twilight Princess. OOT was briljant back in 1998...then came TP that used a lot of stuff from OOT because the fans asked for a OOT like game. No Termina Field...no time-jumping...no huge empty sea and cell-shaded graphics.....just Link, Epona, Hyrule Field, Ganondorf, Water Temple, Fire Temple, Forest Temple..etc.

Twilight Princess used almost the same themes, dungeons and sections as Ocarina did. But Ocarina was far more briliant back then: the rotating corridor in the Forest Temple and the sections where you walk on the ceiling, the Lost Woods with that catchy tune which get louder if you walked in the right direction, the changing world when you became adult Link..and more of this stuff. It was briljant back in 1998 and i still remembered it that way. Maybe it's just nostalgia..but is'nt that with every 'first' game? For the first time Tomb Raider, Super Mario 64...en then Ocarina of Time. And even when you played this one later then TP i can't understand why OOT is a 'boring' game in the first place.

It's a little sad that you played OOT after TP...and then i can understand why you did not look at OOT as a briljant game. But is was in 1998..and is still a briljant game. There is no such thing as Twilight Princess (2006) and Ocarina of Time (2007). It's a older game..from the PS1/N64 era. And there is nothing that can changed that i'm a fraid.

petujaymz
13-09-08, 15:01
Star Wars Battlefront (the first instalment) should be in there somewhere.

You wouldn't believe how many gameplay hours I got out of this one.

:wve:

kryptonite23
13-09-08, 15:47
Being on the top 50 is already great :D

TRhalloween
13-09-08, 16:31
Overrated.Overrated.Overrated.

This game is overrated because everyone likes it and I don't, therefore it sucks and everyone is wrong except me.

SteveBob
13-09-08, 23:48
Crap list. TR should be number 1 easily.

Crayons
14-09-08, 03:52
That list is utter rubbish.

TR freak
14-09-08, 13:08
Overrated.Overrated.Overrated.

This game is overrated because everyone likes it and I don't, therefore it sucks and everyone is wrong except me.

LMAO when did I ever say anything like that? Notice how when I said I think OOT is overrated put imo at the end. That means IN MY OPINION.

I dont think the game is as good as others say it is. Did I say everyone else was wrong? No. It's just what I think. Funny how you dont say anything to all the people in this thread thats saying San Andreas is overrated and shouldn't be no.1 in the list.

petujaymz
15-09-08, 16:44
Star Wars Battlefront (the first instalment) should be in there somewhere.

You wouldn't believe how many gameplay hours I got out of this one.

Oh... Star Wars Battlefront is at number fifty three. DUH!

What the **** is Street Fighter Alpha 2 doing there?

Street Fighter Alpha 3 is vastly superior; on every level and in every respect.

Palace Midas
20-09-08, 17:31
OOT just seems like a much, much worse version of Twilight Princess.

Why did you play TP before OOT in the first place? And you talk about OOT if it is a game from 2007. Games getting older and nothing can stop that i'm a fraid. TP is indeed bigger and looks better...but this game is from 2006. And you are the first person who says that OOT is boring while most of the people say that about Wind Waker.

And TP does nothing special as MM and WW did with the gameplay and overall style. TP is a big tribute to OOT in terms of locations, dungeon themes and other stuff. And of course it's a game on it's own but it reminds me and a lot people how good OOT was when it came out in 1998. For the first time in 3D..the huge overworld...the great moments. You missed all that stuff from the moment you decided to play this game after Twilight.

Sam The Man
20-09-08, 19:11
Everyone here needs to understand something. When you are picking a list of the greatest games ever you always have to judge them on how good they were AT THE TIME! It is the only correct way of sorting a great game list out otherwise games like TR1, Mario World, Sonic The Hedgehog, FFVII E.T.C would be considered crap.

Take for example my 2nd fave game ever Ocarina Of Time. When it first came out in 1998 it was a revalation. Edge magazine gave it a 10/10 (back when Edge only gave out a 10 for special games) and CVG Magazine said it was the greatest game ever along with all other magazines. Playing it for the first time was something very special. It was caked with class, the graphics were some of the best id ever seen, the atmospheric music sent chills down my spine and PALACE MIDAS listed some of the stand out moments that were a class apart

.THE ROTATING CORRIDOR IN THE FOREST TEMPLE

.THE LOST WOODS WITH THE MUSIC THAT GETS LOUDER AS YOU GET CLOSER TO YOUR DESTINATION

.SEEING THE WATERFALL IN ZORA'S DOMAIN FOR THE FIRST TIME

.SEEING DANTE THE GRAVEKEEPER
AS A KID AND THEN RACING HIS GHOST AS AN ADULT IN AN UNDERGROUND MAZE BENEATH THE GRAVEYARD

.FEEDING A FISH TO JABU JABU AND ITS MOUTH OPENING UP TO REVEAL THAT THE NEXT DUNGEON WAS HIS BELLY!

.THE AMAZING MUSIC IN THE TEMPLE OF TIME HEARD FOR THE FIRST TIME

.SEEING INFERNAL DINOSAUR KING DODONGO FOR THE FIRST TIME

It was all magic that hadnt been seen before in a game or at least a 3d game anyway.

Fast forward to TWILIGHT PRINCESS and you got none of that feeling. Yes it was GRAPHICALLY SUPERIOR but was TP hailed by EVERYONE as THE BEST GAME EVER when it first came out 2yrs ago? No it was just hailed as a great game.

Its like TR1 VS ANNIVERSARY. TR1 was hailed as a revolutionary game when it came out and one of the best games ever and made Lara Croft an ICON. Fast forward 10yrs And anniversary comes out and is called a good game and nothing more. Lets compare shall we:

Graphics: Anniversary takes the **** out of TR1'S 10yr old (at the time) graphics - ANNIVERSARY WINS

Gameplay: Anniversary allows lara to run across walls, become NEO of The Matrix to dodge enemies, can climb poles and swing from bar to bar whilst the levels allow far greater interaction than TR1'S - ANNIVERSARY WINS

But on top of all this it wasn't a better game because
A - it wasn't as enjoyable to play
B - the level design wasn't as good
C - it had been done 10yrs earlier in a game that had had many more special moments.

You can say the same thing with Nights Into Dreams VS Nights Journey Of Dreams.

So you see the 2 ingredients needed are that it must of been something VERY special back in the day & it must stand the test of time. And the only fair way to judge that is if you had played the game back in the day.

Another Example. Take the Pyramids Of Egypt, they are recognised as one of mans finest achievements not only because of how amazing they were AT THE TIME but because of how they have STOOD THE TEST OF TIME which is what makes them great.

Twilight Princess just copied the formala that was Ocarina and made the graphics better and the world bigger only 8yrs later and on a console 2 times as powerful. And im willing to bet that in the year 2016 (Twilight Princess will be 10) people wont be talking about it as the best game ever like they are with Ocarina (10yrs old in 2 months time)

Tombreaper
20-09-08, 19:57
Everyone here needs to understand something. When you are picking a list of the greatest games ever you always have to judge them on how good they were AT THE TIME! It is the only correct way of sorting a great game list out otherwise games like TR1, Mario World, Sonic The Hedgehog, FFVII E.T.C would be considered crap.

Take for example my 2nd fave game ever Ocarina Of Time. When it first came out in 1998 it was a revalation. Edge magazine gave it a 10/10 (back when Edge only gave out a 10 for special games) and CVG Magazine said it was the greatest game ever along with all other magazines. Playing it for the first time was something very special. It was caked with class, the graphics were some of the best id ever seen, the atmospheric music sent chills down my spine and PALACE MIDAS listed some of the stand out moments that were a class apart

.THE ROTATING CORRIDOR IN THE FOREST TEMPLE

.THE LOST WOODS WITH THE MUSIC THAT GETS LOUDER AS YOU GET CLOSER TO YOUR DESTINATION

.SEEING THE WATERFALL IN ZORA'S DOMAIN FOR THE FIRST TIME

.SEEING DANTE THE GRAVEKEEPER
AS A KID AND THEN RACING HIS GHOST AS AN ADULT IN AN UNDERGROUND MAZE BENEATH THE GRAVEYARD

.FEEDING A FISH TO JABU JABU AND ITS MOUTH OPENING UP TO REVEAL THAT THE NEXT DUNGEON WAS HIS BELLY!

.THE AMAZING MUSIC IN THE TEMPLE OF TIME HEARD FOR THE FIRST TIME

.SEEING INFERNAL DINOSAUR KING DODONGO FOR THE FIRST TIME

It was all magic that hadnt been seen before in a game or at least a 3d game anyway.

Fast forward to TWILIGHT PRINCESS and you got none of that feeling. Yes it was GRAPHICALLY SUPERIOR but was TP hailed by EVERYONE as THE BEST GAME EVER when it first came out 2yrs ago? No it was just hailed as a great game.

Its like TR1 VS ANNIVERSARY. TR1 was hailed as a revolutionary game when it came out and one of the best games ever and made Lara Croft an ICON. Fast forward 10yrs And anniversary comes out and is called a good game and nothing more. Lets compare shall we:

Graphics: Anniversary takes the **** out of TR1'S 10yr old (at the time) graphics - ANNIVERSARY WINS

Gameplay: Anniversary allows lara to run across walls, become NEO of The Matrix to dodge enemies, can climb poles and swing from bar to bar whilst the levels allow far greater interaction than TR1'S - ANNIVERSARY WINS

But on top of all this it wasn't a better game because
A - it wasn't as enjoyable to play
B - the level design wasn't as good
C - it had been done 10yrs earlier in a game that had had many more special moments.

You can say the same thing with Nights Into Dreams VS Nights Journey Of Dreams.

So you see the 2 ingredients needed are that it must of been something VERY special back in the day & it must stand the test of time. And the only fair way to judge that is if you had played the game back in the day.

Another Example. Take the Pyramids Of Egypt, they are recognised as one of mans finest achievements not only because of how amazing they were AT THE TIME but because of how they have STOOD THE TEST OF TIME which is what makes them great.

Twilight Princess just copied the formala that was Ocarina and made the graphics better and the world bigger only 8yrs later and on a console 2 times as powerful. And im willing to bet that in the year 2016 (Twilight Princess will be 10) people wont be talking about it as the best game ever like they are with Ocarina (10yrs old in 2 months time)

Okay, of course it's best to judge games on how good they were at the time, but the thread here says: ''Top 100 PS games of all time'', Zelda has nothing to do with PlayStation.

Sam The Man
21-09-08, 00:45
Okay, of course it's best to judge games on how good they were at the time, but the thread here says: ''Top 100 PS games of all time'', Zelda has nothing to do with PlayStation.

True but i was referring to games in general and was just using Ocarina as an example