PDA

View Full Version : Spore

Samsdad
08-09-08, 17:10
Just got Spore yestrerday. It is a lot of fun to play.

At first it appears to be a relatively easy game but I can see as the game progresses that the formation of strategic alliances could play a very important role and the number of decisions you can make inceases almost exponentially.

So far I have only been able to play the very beginning levels (Cell and then when you first come on land). But even this early you can chose a variety of paths to follow. Do you want to be a carnivore or a herbivore or an omnivor? Do you want to befriend a group or attack it. And the customization of your avatar is almost mind boggling at time. Just about every body part can be modified, based on the materials you have collected in your various encounters.

fanoflaracroft
08-09-08, 17:20
Yes this game is interesting. You can even create vehicles, buildings, spaceships and even planets. It gets more interesting after tribal stage.

Rivendell
08-09-08, 17:25
I picked it up this morning - got a copy for myself and a copy for my bro.
I picked a carnivore, and he picked a herbivore.

I loved the first couple of stages - the cell stage and the on land stage, but now I'm up to the tribal stage, and it's just not a very fun section for me.
:\

Lara's home
08-09-08, 17:26
Fun game, but all the stages except space stage (which is really, really boring, imo) are really short.

tranniversary119
08-09-08, 20:51
I picked it up this morning - got a copy for myself and a copy for my bro.
I picked a carnivore, and he picked a herbivore.

I loved the first couple of stages - the cell stage and the on land stage, but now I'm up to the tribal stage, and it's just not a very fun section for me.
:\

I agree I'm afraid to say I'm dissapointed. I heard the space stage is pretty much sanbox because you can control nearly everything. Isn't this a multiplayer also? Sharing online..like visit each others worlds..?

Rivendell
08-09-08, 21:22
^ It doesn't seem to be that sort of multiplayer, which is a shame - and the main reason I got two copies, so both characters could interact. But as far as I can see, it's more like a 'share your creations with other users' sort of online function. It's still fun, but could've been more.

I sussed the tribal stage and enjoyed it eventually. Now I'm on the Civilization stage, and I've just built my first war vehicle, the Altai'r. :cln:

If anyone wants to (try to) check it out, my character name is Qualopec. :tmb:

Lara's home
08-09-08, 21:25
^ It doesn't seem to be that sort of multiplayer, which is a shame - and the main reason I got two copies, so both characters could interact. But as far as I can see, it's more like a 'share your creations with other users' sort of online function. It's still fun, but could've been more.

I sussed the tribal stage and enjoyed it eventually. Now I'm on the Civilization stage, and I've just built my first war vehicle, the Altai'r. :cln:

Original names you've got. :p

MadCroy101
08-09-08, 21:52
I played the demo for Spore. At first, I thought it was going to be kind of boring, same old sims stuff, but it was actually really fun and interesting.:)

tranniversary119
09-09-08, 00:25

That's a shame, I remember reading about visiting other players worlds in fact I know I either read/heard. My computer barely runs it so it constantly lags I'm still stuck on the tribe thing I've died numerous times :p

Not As We
09-09-08, 10:47
I was really enjoying it
I even quite enjoyed the tribal stage,
playing the little instruments was fun :D
yeah I choose to be nice to everyone

but once I got to the civilization stage it bored me,
I hate strategy games, so it completely turned me off

=/

Rivendell
09-09-08, 15:21
Well I'm stuck, again.
On the Space stage.

"Return to your homeplanet to complete the mission!" it says. So I do. Nothing happens. I can't open the com link, so I can't heal or get more missions. :\

oocladableeblah
09-09-08, 19:57
So is this game worth the price of $50? I am thinking of getting it, but idk.

HolidayCroft
09-09-08, 22:18
i want that game im a few dollars short can anybody post their creature in all of the you got so so far that would be cool

tranniversary119
10-09-08, 01:35
So is this game worth the price of $50? I am thinking of getting it, but idk.

I'm going to be honest with you It's NOT worth the 50$. I'd say this was one of those big overhyped games where it looks and sounds good but until you play it you just don't like it. I'm at the civilization stage bored and have no choice but to uninstall it because i downloaded it via the site. But I'd wait til it gets a bit cheaper because the creature creator is quite fun and you can create a bunch of other stuff.

My Review of spore-
A game that looked and sounded to be the game of the year. Me and my cousins were exited after playing the creature creator
and hearing about how you could visit each others worlds. But getting the game now I really only found the Cell+Creature
stage to be really fun then once you seem to get control of everything you lose that fun type of feel from the first 2 stages.
The Tribal+Civilization+[haven't played space stage yet] could have been better. Anywho the creature creator is free of charge and included
with the game. My final score is about a 7/10. Not worth the 50$ I think anywhere between 20-30$ is good enough.

oocladableeblah
10-09-08, 02:06
Ok thanks tranni guess I will wait for it to drop in price.

Olabelle
10-09-08, 06:19
I think the $50 may have been a bit steep for this game to be honest.

Don't get me wrong, I'm having a blast (ya know, when I can get time to play it because my boyfriend's hogging it.), but I'm up to the space stages, and frankly, it's getting confusing as hell.

You've got a huge cosmos to explore, but.... it is such a pain in the rear to find where each star is. >.< Started to go cross eyed going back and forth.

My favorite stage has to be when you start off as a cell, and when you crawl out of the ocean and have your little 'nests'. I really just prefer having control of my character directly, instead of the tribes or piloting the space ship around. That starts to lose my interest.

It's neat to be wandering around the worlds and running across packs of the creatures you've made though. >.> Still waiting to see if I run across my Wolpertingers I made.

jackali
10-09-08, 12:31
Okay, I've read a few reviews of this. They're conflicting.

If someone on here could please post a comprehensive review of the game, the pros and the cons, I'd be very, very grateful.

I want to know if it's worth buying or not. :p

thanatos
10-09-08, 14:55
An anti-Spore website to let Electronic Arts know that its "biggest attack on Christian values to date will not be tolerated."

Antispore.com condemns Spore's teaching of the very un-Christian theory of evolution, which it says is an attempt on the games industry's part to "invade our homes and poison the minds of our children."

It says"Yesterday I found out about a new game called Spore when my son asked me to buy it for him. It looked innocent enough at first and has E for Everyone ESRB rating. But don't be mislead, apparently 'everyone' means everyone they want to teach evolution to.

"This entire game is propaganda aimed directly at our children to teach them evolution instead of creationism, or 'intelligent design' if you go for stupid PC terms.

"The object of the game is to evolve from a 'spore' into demon-like intelligent space creatures that violently take over the galaxy," continues the site.

The site goes on to attack EA and it's 8,500 employees, "not a single one with enough Jesus to stand up and say what they are doing is wrong," it says.

"I used to like Will Wright," continues Anti-Spore.com. "He created Sim City, a fantastic game that celebrated the earth that God created for us and allowed you to use all your God given abilities to make an ideal society. But if you ever felt like you had too much power, God would come in with a tornado or an earthquake and put you back in place.

"You would think that as a member of the Episcopal Church, a smart man like Will Wright would not be capable of creating Spore. However, we must be reminded that the Episcopal Church is the only church in america that ordains homosexuals on a regular basis.

"It makes sense that a perverted church would cause a man to make the creations he has in this game. It just may be that evolution is not the only thing to fear this game teaching your children.

"[EA's] billions in revenue and all the advertising in the world are no match for the power of God

Brilliant, what a rationale, well informed individual.

Rivendell
10-09-08, 16:20
Wow.

Ybbob
10-09-08, 20:21
Does that man know that in America we're actually not allowed to shove religion down the throats of children and society?

Personally, I don't condemn or praise any religion, but it's people like the ones at antispore.com that just **** me off. Stick to your own damn religion if that's what you choose, but leave other people the hell alone. If he doesn't like it then he doesn't have to buy it or even acknowledge it.

tranniversary119
10-09-08, 20:26
:vlol: Weird I was totally thinking, "Now where are the Christians to protest the game?"

HolidayCroft
10-09-08, 20:50
WOW its a game people i'm a Christian and they should teach there kids not to believe in it cause there Christian and just let them play the game and remind the kids its only a game don't believe it or something like that and don't think of it as "there trying to teach everyone that evolution is real" or something its not as bad as you think ITS A GAME

Lara Lover
10-09-08, 20:54
Haven't got around on purchasing a copy yet.. going to do that on Saturday maybe :D

Samsdad
10-09-08, 20:57
I am not too sure what the radical Christian beef is. They argue for intelligent design, a guiding hand in controling the evolutionary progess of the world that led to man. Well, that is pretty much what Spore is, except the player gets to play the role of God. If anything the game is a primer for the intelligent design argument.

Explorer
10-09-08, 21:55
^^That's it. Sure the game is about evolution, but it is a directed (player input) evolution. A game about evolution of the Darwinian kind would be...well no game at all.
Not all Christians would view the Intelligent design theory as being Christian however.

moodydog
10-09-08, 22:34
An anti-Spore website to let Electronic Arts know that its "biggest attack on Christian values to date will not be tolerated."

Antispore.com condemns Spore's teaching of the very un-Christian theory of evolution, which it says is an attempt on the games industry's part to "invade our homes and poison the minds of our children."

It says

Quote:
"Yesterday I found out about a new game called Spore when my son asked me to buy it for him. It looked innocent enough at first and has E for Everyone ESRB rating. But don't be mislead, apparently 'everyone' means everyone they want to teach evolution to.

"This entire game is propaganda aimed directly at our children to teach them evolution instead of creationism, or 'intelligent design' if you go for stupid PC terms.

"The object of the game is to evolve from a 'spore' into demon-like intelligent space creatures that violently take over the galaxy," continues the site.

The site goes on to attack EA and it's 8,500 employees, "not a single one with enough Jesus to stand up and say what they are doing is wrong," it says.

"I used to like Will Wright," continues Anti-Spore.com. "He created Sim City, a fantastic game that celebrated the earth that God created for us and allowed you to use all your God given abilities to make an ideal society. But if you ever felt like you had too much power, God would come in with a tornado or an earthquake and put you back in place.

"You would think that as a member of the Episcopal Church, a smart man like Will Wright would not be capable of creating Spore. However, we must be reminded that the Episcopal Church is the only church in america that ordains homosexuals on a regular basis.

"It makes sense that a perverted church would cause a man to make the creations he has in this game. It just may be that evolution is not the only thing to fear this game teaching your children.

"[EA's] billions in revenue and all the advertising in the world are no match for the power of God

HOLY **** :yik:

the game is more of a game version of an Allegory so the above cant prove anything

HolidayCroft
10-09-08, 22:56
ive been saving up for a while to get tru or spore witch one should i get

Olabelle
11-09-08, 00:33
Ya know, it's the religious nutjobs like those on that site that made me turn my back on Christianity.

It is a game, it is not real. I think they're just running out of things to complain about and go all 'Ra Ra Jesus Yay!'

Makes me wonder..... did they ever try to boycott Tamagotchi? O.o Pretty much the same thing, cept it fit in your pocket. Yay! Evolution Theory on the go kids!

Tihocan9
11-09-08, 00:38
Oh my, I hate it when Christians jump to conclusions without even taking two sections to think about it or play the game. I am Catholic and I don't beleive in the Darwin idea of evolution but this is just a game and really whats the big deal, I mean it shows nothing really about reality do you see any of those creatures walking around outside evolving...no...so whats the problem, if parents reinforce what they want their child to know it shouldn't be a problem...if this is wrong then so is Pokemon and how many kids watch pokemon and start beleiving in Evolution...Its a game...not a teacher.

tranniversary119
11-09-08, 01:00
ive been saving up for a while to get tru or spore witch one should i get

Tomb Raider Underworld :wve: I'd say wait for Spore it's fun just not worth the money. Wait til the price goes down..but hey if you want spore badly go ahead.

Admles
11-09-08, 01:25
Wait for TRU.

You'll finish Spore, from beginning to end, in a matter of hours.

I can't WAIT for some big, god-botherer, bible-basher game to be released. Then I'll be able to make a website against it, saying how it teaches our children not to believe in Evolution and make a big stink about it, just because I can :D

HolidayCroft
13-09-08, 17:00
i think i might save for both then i will have both :D

Heckler
14-09-08, 17:54
Wait for TRU.

You'll finish Spore, from beginning to end, in a matter of hours.

I can't WAIT for some big, god-botherer, bible-basher game to be released. Then I'll be able to make a website against it, saying how it teaches our children not to believe in Evolution and make a big stink about it, just because I can :D

Hahahahahahaha

dream raider
14-09-08, 18:19

It says: (quote)

How very narrow-minded of them. Absolutely absurd assumption they have made.

Some people don't hesitate to speak their minds because they have nothing to lose.

amiro1989
14-09-08, 18:23

It says

That just shows how pathetic religions are.... I mean, a game??? How is it "poisoning" the mind of children? That's a theory, that's all. And I rather believe that we come from evolution, than popping from nowhere, just like that.

I'm sorry if I offended someone with my post, just wanted to say my point.

Rivendell
27-12-08, 18:00
Is anyone still playing this? :whi:

I popped on it again earlier, and now I'm in space-age how the heck to I control my ground troops.. or can I?

There's a giant monster stalking around killing other creatures. I want it gone, and it destroys my ufo whenever I'm near it, so I figured a mass assault from the ground and air was in order.

... Help!
:D

irjudd
27-12-08, 18:09
I am considering purchasing Spore. I'm curious if its a worthy purchase. Is it really painfully short, and is it the kind of game you'd keep playing?

Rivendell
27-12-08, 18:12
If you can get it cheap, get it. It's fun for a while, but I'm finding the later stages (which took about 3 or 4 days for me to get to) quite tiresome and complicated.

irjudd
27-12-08, 18:14
I can get it off eBay brand new for $30. Sound worth it to you?

Rivendell
27-12-08, 18:15
Honestly I'd try not to go over $25. :)

irjudd
27-12-08, 18:17
Unfortunately only used copies go $25 and lower and I don't trust the whole EA Authorization Securom thing on used purchases. :pi:

adventurerLara
15-03-09, 14:03
I'm thinking of buying spore but can somebody tell me what is the difference between spore and spore creator, do I have to buy them both?

Sir Croft
15-03-09, 15:49
I'm thinking of buying spore but can somebody tell me what is the difference between spore and spore creator, do I have to buy them both?

Do you mean Spore Creature Creator? It's part of spore, you don't need to get it (and it's free as far I remember).

adventurerLara
15-03-09, 18:39
ok thanks:)

tampi
17-03-09, 16:52
I have managed to destroy almost 2/3 GROX civilization :mis:. It is impossible to achieve without mods or cheats :o:cln::D

Infinite and very quick FANATICAL FRENZY option :tmb:

Sir Croft
17-03-09, 17:02
Meh, I stopped playing Spore after some time in the space era, it's boring. Playing as little cells is a lot fun, though! :D