PDA

View Full Version : Last original concept in gaming?

Admles
11-09-08, 01:27
I was just thinking today, "When was the last time we saw a TRULY original concept in gaming?"

It's really been a long time since something truly original came out.

Someone tried to tell me "The Wii is pretty original" but like, um, hello, NINTENDO POWERGLOVE!

Does anyone have any thoughts? Maybe something I've missed?

amiro1989
11-09-08, 01:33
The Sims was a pretty original game, I think.

Forwen
11-09-08, 01:48
Mirror's Edge?

KC Mraz
11-09-08, 01:48
Portal? (or Narbacular Drop (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narbacular_Drop) if you are picky)

Admles
11-09-08, 02:05
Portal and Mirrors edge are still just 3D Shooters.

The Sims...... hmmm........ might be

dizzydoil
11-09-08, 02:06
Is anything really an actual original concept?
Everything is built from something esle, which is built from something esle..

Forwen
11-09-08, 02:07
Portal Gun is one of the most innovative action elements I've seen in quite a while.

I honestly don't know what you're looking for then. Most history happens through evolution anyway, not revolution *shrug*

The Sims is basically a simplified strategy game.

Admles
11-09-08, 02:08
Everything is built from something esle, which is build from something esle..
Ooooooh thats philosophical! :D

But it is true....... 3D shooters started with what, Ken's Labyrinth?

Most games are just better-looking versions of older games, with a different story line.

Of course, maybe I'm just old and have played too many games in my day...... ;)

Admles
11-09-08, 02:11
Portal Gun is one of the most innovative action elements I've seen in quite a while.

I honestly don't know what you're looking for then. Most history happens through evolution anyway, not revolution *shrug*

The Sims is basically a simplified strategy game.

It's just a curiousity, when was the last TRULY original gaming concept. Just curious to hear peoples opinions.

oocladableeblah
11-09-08, 04:13
Loco Roco, Patapon, Super Rub O Dub, and Pixeljunk Eden.

KC Mraz
11-09-08, 05:46
Patapon has quite similar gameplay to Bust a Groove or PaRappa the Rapper, so no (but that doesn't mean is not fun =D).

Ward Dragon
11-09-08, 06:53
The sanity meter and insanity effects in Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem seemed pretty original to me :) Possessions in Geist are also unlike anything I've done in a game before. Going a little further back, the Spectral Realm mechanics in Soul Reaver seem very original. Also, the game Sacrifice is a very unique combination of RPG and RTS (the closest game I can think of is Populous: the Beginning, which is very different in certain respects and also quite original). I'll add Dungeon Keeper to the list because of the way the minions have to be trained and kept happy (I haven't seen that in any other game besides the sequel).

That's all I can think of at the moment, especially since the Portal gun has already been mentioned :D

thanatos
11-09-08, 07:39

If that's how you think you will never open your mind to innovation! Portal was indeed a truely original puzzle style game (for the sake of simplicity I'm going to ignore their Narbacular drop), it merely used the first person perspective (every game has to use some sort of camera angle, no matter how inventive.)

Braid was the last innovative game I played (but no one else on this forum seems to have even bothered downloading the demo, despite how it's one of the best games of the year), but I assume you just think that is "still just a 2D platformer."

Voni
11-09-08, 09:39
I have to go with Portal, I really haven't seen anything like it. Yes, it's an FPS, but there's no enemies (apart from maybe GLaDOS) and c'mon, where have you seen these kinds of puzzles before?!

Survival
11-09-08, 10:10
Gabriel Knight series... no game before and after has blended realism and fiction in a way GK did :tmb:

TR freak
11-09-08, 10:37
Just because something's not original doesn't mean its not fantastic. I'm sure in recent years there probably has been something original, but original doesn't automatically mean good. Often it's the games that use and refine an already proven formula that truly shine.

interstellardave
11-09-08, 10:49
Viva Pinata...

Alex Fly
11-09-08, 11:00
Fahrenheit, and more recently Mirror's Edge. :)

EDIT : I forgot to include Spore to my list.

thanatos
11-09-08, 11:24
Fahrenheit, and more recently Mirror's Edge. :)

Fahrenheit is little more than a collection of mini games tied together with an extremely basic point and click style mechanic. It did try something a bit different and was enjoyable though.

Forwen
11-09-08, 11:56
Braid was the last innovative game I played (but no one else on this forum seems to have even bothered downloading the demo, despite how it's one of the best games of the year), but I assume you just think that is "still just a 2D platformer."

Oh I would've gotten it long ago if it was available anywhere else rather than Live.

...or is it? I've heard it's for PC as well but I can't find any DL.

thanatos
11-09-08, 12:03
Oh I would've gotten it long ago if it was available anywhere else rather than Live.

...or is it? I've heard it's for PC as well but I can't find any DL.

No just live at the moment I'm afraid. Do you not have a 360?

Legend of Lara
11-09-08, 13:05
Super Rub O Dub

Um, no. :p It's a mishmash of Lemmings and Super Monkey Ball ideas. ;)

Forwen
11-09-08, 13:12
thanatos - I've got 360, but no proper connection for it atm (even through ICS). I'll have to wait a (probably longer) while to fix it. It's pretty annoying really, as I only recently found Dreamfall for Xbox and can't download an update to actually get it going.

thanatos
11-09-08, 13:29
thanatos - I've got 360, but no proper connection for it atm (even through ICS). I'll have to wait a (probably longer) while to fix it. It's pretty annoying really, as I only recently found Dreamfall for Xbox and can't download an update to actually get it going.

Gutted, hope you get it sorted soon. If you go here though you can download the update to get Dreamfall to play on your 360, just burn it to disc and stick it in the console to update the backwards compatibility: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardscompatibility.htm#disc

MadCroy101
11-09-08, 21:04
The Sims, Dare I say, Guitar Hero:p

Hmm, Maybe Harvest moon, I used to love that game as a kid

domina
11-09-08, 21:23
Guitar Hero or Rock Band... Maybe. The actual use of instruments as controllers seems new to me.

But the basics of the games, the emphasis on getting the right rhythm/beat through hitting the right button has been done before. Dance Dance Revolution and Frequency both had a similiar concept way before Guitar Hero. There are probably games that even came before those two.

TRhalloween
11-09-08, 21:26
Uncharted!lol :vlol:

LegenDarY
11-09-08, 21:31
Little Big Planet of course!

Forwen
11-09-08, 21:32
Gutted, hope you get it sorted soon. If you go here though you can download the update to get Dreamfall to play on your 360, just burn it to disc and stick it in the console to update the backwards compatibility: http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/backwardscompatibility.htm#disc

Sorry, I missed your edit.

Wah!

It worked!

Heheh, looking back I remember the console telling me to go to xbox.com, but the advice of going to official sources for help is something I ignore automatically so I didn't bother. Serves me right duh! Looks like I'll have to scrap Persona 3 I started only yesterday, oh dear.

The Longest Journey is some 8 years old already... That's gonna be one hell of a nostalgic trip. Here I come April :hug:

Many thanks :D

stranger1992
11-09-08, 21:46
Spore is pretty unique to me ^_^

domina
11-09-08, 21:48
Spore is pretty unique to me ^_^

Ever play Evo: Seach for Eden on the SNES? :D

Tihocan9
11-09-08, 23:37
LittleBigPlanet seems really unique and new so I think originality is still out there.

crux2
12-09-08, 18:50
on the evolution > revolution front, I think the cover system in gears as well as the active reloads were pretty good additions to the gaming world at large, I can't say I remember anything like them prior to gears. Havent played every game though, anyone know of any?

Ward Dragon
12-09-08, 22:07
on the evolution > revolution front, I think the cover system in gears as well as the active reloads were pretty good additions to the gaming world at large, I can't say I remember anything like them prior to gears. Havent played every game though, anyone know of any?

I haven't actually played Gears (I've only seen my brother playing it) so I might be wrong about how the cover system works, but the first time I saw a good cover system was in Second Sight (maybe the Gears one was different though).

Tombreaper
12-09-08, 22:54
LocoRoco and Patapon

Anajrob
12-09-08, 23:00
TRU!? :vlol: I had to say it :pi:

Anyway, for me... hmmm... maybe Sims :p

Admles
13-09-08, 08:59
Sims is actually based on an old C64 game called "Little Computer People". This game is from 1985. Sims designer Will Wright confirmed it during an interview once.

LaraCablara
13-09-08, 14:30
Well in terms of graphics its probably Okami :)

the morningstar
14-09-08, 16:59
Shadow Of The Colossus, Loco Roco, Killer7, Black And White? maybe?

dizzydoil
14-09-08, 17:22
Everything is built from something esle, which is built from something esle..

I still think this is the case tbh. :p

I mean.. If I ever do come accross something totally original I'll scream. :D (and buy straight away. :pi:)

Titanium
14-09-08, 18:08
Okami. Come on, how many games do you know where you can alter the enviroment with a paint brush?

Yunas Wish
14-09-08, 18:20
Im surprised nobody mentioned "Katamari", a PS2 (and XBOX360 I think) game that is clearly original (and fun):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv8g_fhXC-Y

The idea is rolling a Katamari (the ball) to make it bigger and bigger by absorbing things. You may start absorbing bugs, then pencils, then shoes, then chairs, tables, children, adults, trees, fountains, benches, cars, houses, building, clouds, whales, elephants, lands, etc. :p Its a very crazy game.

da tomb raider!
14-09-08, 20:12
Space Invaders.

Eddie Haskell
14-09-08, 20:20
The last? Possibly it's Descent (1995). The first truly 3D game, one was able to move in all directions (the aptly named "six degrees of freedom") and see and play the game from any vantage point. I don't believe that it's the last per-se, but it's one of them.

Admles
14-09-08, 21:44
Shadow Of The Colossus, Loco Roco, Killer7, Black And White? maybe?

Black & White?

A cross between a Tamagotchi and Populous?

KC Mraz
15-09-08, 03:36
Guitar Hero or Rock Band... Maybe. The actual use of instruments as controllers seems new to me.

But the basics of the games, the emphasis on getting the right rhythm/beat through hitting the right button has been done before. Dance Dance Revolution and Frequency both had a similiar concept way before Guitar Hero. There are probably games that even came before those two.

Konami is the king of music games; they've released guitar games (GUITARFREAKS), drum games (DrumMania), keyboard games (Keyboardmania), dj-ing games (beatmania) and dance games (DDR, ParaParaParadise, Dance Maniax) since late 90s :D

But they are quite unknown because they were arcade games, japanese arcade games :pi:

Dark Lugia 2
15-09-08, 07:13
Okami. Come on, how many games do you know where you can alter the enviroment with a paint brush?

Kirby power paintbrush :p

Dingaling
15-09-08, 15:54
Eye of Judgement?

While the card trading concept has existed before it hasn't existed physically as a video game idea with it's own sets of cards and board, has it?

Tombreaper
15-09-08, 16:25
ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Haunting Ground.

I haven't seen nothing original on then nex-gen PS3 & 360, shame!

Wii? Mario part 666, very original.

thanatos
15-09-08, 16:45
ICO, Shadow of the Colossus, Haunting Ground.

I haven't seen nothing original on then nex-gen PS3 & 360, shame!

Wii? Mario part 666, very original.

Braid and Portal, both a lot more genuinly innovative than either Ico or Shadow (regardless of how fantastic those games are.) Mirror's edge also looks like an inventive spin on an old genre. Seriously, do you own a next gen console or even read through this thread?

Eddie Haskell
15-09-08, 17:48
Most of you do not name any specific "innovation" or concept, only games. What is it specifically in these games that is "original"? Because most of the so-called original ideas, innovations and concepts were done a long time ago.

Endow
15-09-08, 17:53

Eddie Haskell
15-09-08, 17:57
I don't get this topic's question. Is this supposed to be about the game's concept in a general sense? The controls? The gameplay? Everything else?

There is a lot of innovation out there. I don't know what could be considered truly original. Take Space Invaders, Breakout, Arkanoid etc....all inspired by Pong. Even Pong was inspired by another game I can't quite recall the name right now...

It's called tennis...:ton:

Endow
15-09-08, 18:01

Twiin
15-09-08, 18:15
Originality is only the ability to conceal one's sources ;) <--Which I haven't very well with this cliched statement! ha.

So basically, everything draws inspiration; whether deliberate or not, obvious or subtle.
But, there have been certain games in the market I've thought of with original elements - games such as Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. But they're not entirely original at all. Still brilliant though!

ivannnnn
15-09-08, 23:02
GTA series which invent something new and knowledge to other games.

matrix54
15-09-08, 23:39
Katamari:confused:

Titanium
16-09-08, 01:04
Kirby power paintbrush :p

Oh I completely forgot that epic game. :p

Ward Dragon
16-09-08, 01:38
Most of you do not name any specific "innovation" or concept, only games. What is it specifically in these games that is "original"? Because most of the so-called original ideas, innovations and concepts were done a long time ago.

I tried to explain my reasoning back on page 2, but I don't know if I was specific enough for it to make sense to someone who hasn't already played the game :o

I don't get this topic's question. Is this supposed to be about the game's concept in a general sense? The controls? The gameplay? Everything else?

There is a lot of innovation out there. I don't know what could be considered truly original. Take Space Invaders, Breakout, Arkanoid etc....all inspired by Pong. Even Pong was inspired by another game I can't quite recall the name right now...

I just put whatever came to mind when I thought back over what seemed really new, surprising, I'd never seen it before, etc. Looking back over my list, my picks were based upon gameplay originality (or some aspect of gameplay which is unique even if the rest of the game is fairly basic).

Tihocan9
16-09-08, 02:04
Katamari:confused:

lol, I can honestly say nothing is like that game that i know of :p but its a rather silly concept :D

jungle raider
16-09-08, 13:14

I dont know about portal but i dissagre with mirrors edge.Its not just a 3d shooter but you are doing parkour movements in a wonderfull city.Have you seen anything like that before in a game?

Nefertiti_89
16-09-08, 14:14
I think the whole portable gaming thing with gameboys and such was huge, and while its gotten better graphics over the years and every man and his dog has bought out some kind of portable gaming system so it seems, there really isnt much else other than size and graphics setting them apart from the originals. They were the hip thing at the time!

And now this may sound strange but I think one of the more original gaming concepts in the last 10 years or so has been the concept of playing over a network, against other real people in real time. Xbox live and WoW for example, and they way they are providing people not only with a game to play, but a social outlet as well. Its not as big a concept as the Wii, or as big a draw card, but I think it is still really quite original.

Admles
17-09-08, 07:26
I dont know about portal but i dissagre with mirrors edge.Its not just a 3d shooter but you are doing parkour movements in a wonderfull city.Have you seen anything like that before in a game?

Parkour type movements in a game......

Hmmmmm......... never seen that before...

Unless Assassins Creed......

You could probably even claim that in Tomb Raider and Prince of Persia if you wanted.....

Trent92
17-09-08, 11:07
Pain

:)

Encore
17-09-08, 12:24
What about Spore? :D

Admles
17-09-08, 13:17
Spore reminds me of Impossible Creatures.

Cochrane
17-09-08, 13:48
I'll go ahead and say Tetris.

All other games are only logical conclusions or new takes on old ideas. As an example, I'm interested in Mirror's Edge precisely because it looks like Tomb Raider (minus the tombs) in first person nice, but hardly original. Space-warping portals are an old idea, too (in fact, the original Tomb Raider games had the ability to use them, though I don't think they are used like that anywhere since the level editor doesn't allow that), the ability to position them yourself is more or less a logical conclusion. The idea to have the defeated boss sing over the end credits, now that's something else altogether, but let's just ignore that for the moment. Spore is five or six games, I think, in one box, all of which have been done before. The only original idea in that is to combine them.

I don't think this is such a big deal, though. Doing something first is nowhere near as interesting as doing something the best possible way, and as we know from real life, steady evolution can bring out really cool things.

Admles
17-09-08, 13:50
Bingo!

Tetris is one I can agree with.

I did not say it was a big deal; it's just a curiousity.

interstellardave
17-09-08, 14:10
I don't think this is such a big deal, though. Doing something first is nowhere near as interesting as doing something the best possible way, and as we know from real life, steady evolution can bring out really cool things.

This is the best post I've read in a while. :tmb:

I've played a lot of fantastic games that can't lay claim to being truly original in any way--but they are still near the top of the class in terms of being great games.

Eddie Haskell
17-09-08, 15:50
This is the best post I've read in a while. :tmb:

I've played a lot of fantastic games that can't lay claim to being truly original in any way--but they are still near the top of the class in terms of being great games.

But still, give credit where credit is due. The first is generally not the best, it takes many refinements before an innovation or concept is taken to it's highest plateau. The trail blazers deserve much credit.

domina
17-09-08, 23:12
What about Spore? :D

Someone else mentioned it.

I still say it's got a lot of influence/inspiration/whatever from Evo: The Search for Eden, though. Not exactly the same, but the idea of having a creature and evolving into something more to reach new lands/areas is pretty similar.

Nefertiti_89
18-09-08, 02:27
Someone else mentioned it.

I still say it's got a lot of influence/inspiration/whatever from Evo: The Search for Eden, though. Not exactly the same, but the idea of having a creature and evolving into something more to reach new lands/areas is pretty similar.

Can anyone say, tamagotchi? Digimon? Pokemon? :D Not gaming really but the whole evolving thing has been around for a good while now :)

Gregori
18-09-08, 02:48
There are plenty of original little innovations happening all the time in games - I can't believe people are even complaining about it! Plenty of examples cited in this thread already, so I won't burn your ears with them.

Some of them are clever combinations of old ideas. Games are generally developing and evolving in more complex routes - sometimes to their detriment. Originality doesn't always sell very well!! Originality is useless if its badly executed! I think its the correct combination of ideas and concepts that make a game awesome.

I've a good few new ideas stored in my head - but I'm not telling :D

Admles
18-09-08, 03:31
We aren't complaining, it was a curiousity.

Plus, EVERYONE says they have a new idea for a game - trust me, it's been thought of before.

Gregori
18-09-08, 03:39
We aren't complaining, it was a curiousity.

Plus, EVERYONE says they have a new idea for a game - trust me, it's been thought of before.

Trust me - It hasn't. I always do my research after I come up with ideas.

Jeez, people these days have such incredibly negative attitudes....

Admles
18-09-08, 03:44
Trust me - It hasn't. I always do my research after I come up with ideas.

Jeez, people these days have such incredibly negative attitudes....
No, its just experience.

I've been hearing for years and years from people claiming to have a new idea for gaming, and it's always been found out to be wrong.

Gregori
18-09-08, 03:48
If you supposedly always right, it begs the question why you even made a thread about it.

Admles
18-09-08, 03:51
I didn't say I was always right.

I made a thread to see if someone could show me the last original concept in gaming. It was a curiousity.

Seeing as you're just going to keep being difficult, making insinuations, I'll just ignore you until you have something worthwhile to add :)

Gregori
18-09-08, 03:56
I've said more positive and worthwhile here things rather than whinge :Oh no, everything has been thought of, there is no originality - look this think was vaguely used in this other older game... etc etc etc

You know, those cliched trite old things have been said before and have been wrong :D

Nefertiti_89
18-09-08, 04:50
I've said more positive and worthwhile here things rather than whinge :Oh no, everything has been thought of, there is no originality - look this think was vaguely used in this other older game... etc etc etc

You know, those cliched trite old things have been said before and have been wrong :D

People arent whinging.

We are just saying what we think the last original concept is, and disproving some that are not so original, but rather a mish mash of previous ideas. It is sad that new concepts are hard to come by, the same way as its sad that pretty much everyone making music these days sounds like someone else. I wouldnt call it whinging, I'd say that its reminissing (sorry if I spelt that wrong), and making observations.

As for having ideas for new concepts in gaming, chances are they have been thought of before, but not necessarily taken outside a boardroom. The brain also subconciously draws from things it has seen in the past, making it very difficult to be sure that an idea is actually an original recipe. Even Pong was inspired by sports like tennis and probably volleyball.

tampi
18-09-08, 12:27
De Blob (http://www.deblob.com/)
It's a pity that its system control fazes/dizzies a little.

Gregori
18-09-08, 15:22
People arent whinging.

We are just saying what we think the last original concept is, and disproving some that are not so original, but rather a mish mash of previous ideas. It is sad that new concepts are hard to come by, the same way as its sad that pretty much everyone making music these days sounds like someone else. I wouldnt call it whinging, I'd say that its reminiscing (sorry if I spelled that wrong), and making observations.

The thread by its very nature is prone to the complaining side of things. I was making a general observation of people complaining about originality in games - not particularly aimed at anybody in the thread. Its a common topic in discussion of games in nearly any journalism or messageboard I've ever read. I frankly disagree with this trend on complaining about "originality" in games. There is plenty of little flourishes of innovation in most games which make games today completely different to games one decade or two decades ago.

Not everyone making music these days sounds the same - If you care to listen, there is far more experimentation and variety in music than there has ever been. You just have to assume that what plays on the mainstream radio and stations doesn't represent everything thats happening musically.

As for having ideas for new concepts in gaming, chances are they have been thought of before, but not necessarily taken outside a boardroom. The brain also subconciously draws from things it has seen in the past, making it very difficult to be sure that an idea is actually an original recipe. Even Pong was inspired by sports like tennis and probably volleyball. Ideas that haven't left people's head or the "boardroom" don't count as being done before! You and I aren't telepathic and can't tell what they discussed in there amongst themselves. Until it has been in a finished product - It doesn't count.

Pong wasn't trying to be original at all - purposely ripped off table tennis!!

Ward Dragon
18-09-08, 19:50
I frankly disagree with this trend on complaining about "originality" in games. There is plenty of little flourishes of innovation in most games which make games today completely different to games one decade or two decades ago.

Very true. If a game is well-done and I really enjoy it, then I won't care if it has any completely "original" concepts in it. On the other hand, if a game just feels boring like I've done it a thousand times before, then it will lose my interest whereas if it has something really strange but well-implemented then the novelty will likely make me enjoy the game much more than I would have without that aspect.

But anyhow, I'm not looking for a major leap in innovation for TRU. I want the damned camera and controls to be sorted out, I want tons of exploration, I want challenging puzzles, and I want an interesting story which doesn't get in the way of the gameplay (ex> no headset, no excessive cutscenes, and Lara doesn't do anything totally outrageous which makes me feel disgusted to play as her (I REALLY hate the circumstances under which she murdered Larson in TRA...)).

domina
18-09-08, 20:58
I frankly disagree with this trend on complaining about "originality" in games. There is plenty of little flourishes of innovation in most games which make games today completely different to games one decade or two decades ago.

I'm with you on that. Hell, there's a part of me that's sick of the obsession with originality in all forms. I guess I get that a lot since I like drawing, and I like drawing things that already exist (like, you know, from photographs and whatnot). My entire artistic life, I have been hounded with "That's not original. That means it's not good." But I think Eddie also has a point in that people who are able to come up with innovative ideas do deserve recognition for that talent. I just wish originality wasn't considered the end-all, be-all definition of good.

But I don't think anyone is really complaining here. :p I actually think it's kind of an interesting discussion because there are things that I would have thought as being a completely new idea in gaming that do have precursors and influences elsewhere. I find it very revealing, not argumentative.