PDA

View Full Version : Adding a new Harddrive

Lenochka
11-09-08, 22:17
Alright, so my cousin brought over his old PC that he bought a year before I bought mine (both emachines). So we spent the afternoon figuring out what was worth taking out and keeping and all that, we ended up grabbing the RAM (500mb or so) and the harddrive (160GB) since my PC only has 256mb or ram and 70gb or harddrive space... we got the ram in successfully, and I have already slaved the HDD and formatted it (just in case the virus that took his motherboard out was still on it in the files or whatever) so my questions are... Is the HDD safe to use now that its formatted and everything is now off it? and then also...

http://i34.************/r729zd.jpg

On my PC it shows up as only having around 30GB... but its a 160GB harddrive so I was just wondering If its damaged or If its just showing up like that due to the fact that its slaved and not the master or whatever (I'm new to all this lingo, so bare with me xD). and Last... is there any way to transfer all the info on my current HDD onto the larger one?

LaraCroft90
12-09-08, 03:00
Alright, so my cousin brought over his old PC that he bought a year before I bought mine (both emachines). So we spent the afternoon figuring out what was worth taking out and keeping and all that, we ended up grabbing the RAM (500mb or so) and the harddrive (160GB) since my PC only has 256mb or ram and 70gb or harddrive space... we got the ram in successfully, and I have already slaved the HDD and formatted it (just in case the virus that took his motherboard out was still on it in the files or whatever) so my questions are... Is the HDD safe to use now that its formatted and everything is now off it? and then also...

http://i34.************/r729zd.jpg

On my PC it shows up as only having around 30GB... but its a 160GB harddrive so I was just wondering If its damaged or If its just showing up like that due to the fact that its slaved and not the master or whatever (I'm new to all this lingo, so bare with me xD). and Last... is there any way to transfer all the info on my current HDD onto the larger one?

Delete the 160 GB Hard disk partition and create another.

spikejones
12-09-08, 04:58
you will probably need to reset the jumper(s) to the slave postion w/no cap limit in order to get the full 160 GB to appear. As it is, it's most likely still set to master drive position and thus is not behaving properly.

if you don't know what the jumper positions are, they are sometimes listed on the drive itself, other wise you can look it up online by referring to the manufacturers web site.

EscondeR
12-09-08, 05:39
Follow Spikejones' advice first, then delete the existing partition on 160Gb drive, then create new NTFS partition of the whole drive.

@ LaraCroft90: Don't quote the post right above your's, please (especially with pics). It's of no use.

LaraCroft90
12-09-08, 06:15
Oh, sorry.

Lenochka
12-09-08, 15:04
Alright, I will try it out :)
Thanks for the help all :tmb:

laralives
21-09-08, 02:56
I have a similar issue, When I click delete partion it says everything on it will be deleted. :/

irjudd
21-09-08, 03:14
I have a similar issue, When I click delete partion it says everything on it will be deleted. :/
Yeah thats how it works. Deleting partitions will indeed delete everything on it. :/

laralives
21-09-08, 03:20
So I delete it and then what? Re-detect it and it will work?
Ahhh okay. So how can i make it so that it thinks it's one whole drive like...combining the two.

spikejones
21-09-08, 15:45
do you mean that you want the TWO PHYSICAL drives to act as ONE LOGICAL drive?

This is not something that is really possible to do seemlessly through Windows, you would have to get a third party application to do this if it is possible. The closest thing that can be done through the windows drive management is to create a partition (more than one is possible) on the 160GB drive, then mount that partition under a currently EMPTY folder on the first drive (system drive)... = you are creating a shortcut to the new partition in the form of a folder.

Deleting a partition - deleting the partition and everything in it
Formatting partition = creating new partition w/certain filesystem structure according to your needs (this will also erase things currently stored on the drive).

laralives
21-09-08, 17:13
Okay I sorta did what you told me to but it didn't quite become what I wanted it to be because it's just like as if I had it in "Computer" but hmmm...Thank you though for explaining the deletion and formatting :)