PDA

View Full Version : Psu

wadej88
13-09-08, 02:35
Hey once again lol,

My Power suplpy unit's fan was slowing when i added network cards etc,
i removed them to have the fan running normally, with my XFX geforce 2 graphics card installed.

the power supply is 300w, my question is that if i add my new geforce FX 5550 will that take up more power to slow the fan down? i dont want my power suply unit dying on me :p.

requirements for the graphics card say it needs a 250 psu, though ive got a 300w. would it matter if my psu fasn sloweD?

Sir Croft
13-09-08, 04:44
1. What's the manufacturer and the model of the PSU?
2. How long have you been using it?

It looks silly, but it's important :p

wadej88
13-09-08, 04:47
Its a "bliss" power supply,

i purchased the computer from a school so oviusly its been running constantly for a year or two:ton:.

I had another look today and found the fan wasnt spinning at all even after removing graphics cards and other fans,

going to try and scab a second hand one from someone, or purchase a new one off ebay:hea:

spikejones
13-09-08, 05:04
i went and got myself an Antec Basiq 350 watt PSU to power what I have in my machine (see the other thread you made for info on that). To be honest though if the GPU wants 250, I'd get at LEAST a 350.

does your mobo have a fan blowing on IT?

considering the state of your machine after going between this thread and the other, I think you might as well just get a new machine. you can get a barebones kit for a decent deal at places like tiger direct. You'll come off better in the long run to put the money into one of those kits rather than to spend money on parts for this one.

with that barebones kit, you'll get a better mobo that can handle more up to date programs and games (better upgradeability), more RAM off the get go, a better CPU, A better PSU, possibly even better graphics than what you have already purchase on top of that.

All you would need to do is to transfer your current devices over to it. considering the thing is from a school, its most likely got IDE drives in it. So you will want to get a kit where the mobo has TWO IDE headers (one for your hard drive(s) and the other for your Optical Drive(s) (cd/dvd drives)

whatever course you decide to go though, keep us informed and we'll find you a pretty good deal.

wadej88
13-09-08, 05:21
yeah i think its all building up now n ill have to bite the bullet lol.

We have about 50 computer/I.T places here and i know a guy who gives you new motherboard, 2gb ram , 3gh proccessor and custom case for around $450. i can probably lend that money off my beloved mother :hug:

will keep you informed on what i get

spikejones
13-09-08, 07:14
yeah i think its all building up now n ill have to bite the bullet lol.

We have about 50 computer/I.T places here and i know a guy who gives you new motherboard, 2gb ram , 3gh proccessor and custom case for around $450. i can probably lend that money off my beloved mother :hug:

will keep you informed on what i get

if you are looking to spend that much, you can get this bit here for less:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3901231&sku=I69-2156%20E

its got same amount of RAM, most likely a better mobo, way better CPU (quad core 0_o) 800 Watt PSU, and case included. Only 1 IDE header though, but it supports SATA drives so you could get SATA devices instead.

Or this one for 339 before rebate: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4016612&Sku=P450-9110%20A

comes with the motherboard, case, 2 GB RAM, Intel Pentium Dual Core E2200 2.20GHz OEM, 450 Watt PSU, 160 GB Western Digital HDD, and an XFX GeForce 8600 GT XXX 256MB PCIe.

I'd personally go with the second one i posted as it has better upgrade support.

Drone
13-09-08, 08:29
it shouldn't be a problem. theoretically machine needs about 250-300 Watts

EscondeR
13-09-08, 10:59
PSUs are not that expensive. So I advise you to get a good Zalman or Chieftech 600W PSU - thus you can forget about it even after your PC gets upgraded hardwarewise :tmb:

wadej88
13-09-08, 12:27
To "spikejones",

im in australia and i think thats a US site?
anyhoo my friend said that opening my PSU carefully and replacing the fan wouldnt be very hard, as the capacitors are coated in plastic and if i dont touch anything.

though im not too sure lol ill purchase a new one, though i will stick one of my case fans to the psu holes so that should do for the time being.

spikejones
13-09-08, 19:24
i seriously wonder why you bother to ask for our suggestions and advice if you just come back and reply "i am going to do this". but esconder is correct in that you should get a more powerful PSU at the very least, especially with that new video card that you are getting.

in terms of RAM for your current motherboard, you should still post a report of diagnose.exe (as linked 2x in the other thread). that way we could consult on what would be best to get for your machine. I will mention that depending on the age of your machine, you may not be able to place a 1 GB memory card in the only slot that you have. My Machine for example will support only up to 1 GB total with 512 MB in each slot. So, if you want to be sure that you are getting the right thing it is best to know the full details about what your motherboard supports.

wadej88
14-09-08, 06:01
Huh? lol you guys suggested i get a new one so i am lol. Ive got it running with an external fan exausting the hot air for the time being . Ill post a diagnose thing after work tonight (Y):)

thnx 4 ur replies

EscondeR
15-09-08, 05:52
[B]Huh? lol you guys suggested i get a new one so i am lol. Ive got it running with an external fan exausting the hot air for the time being .

The thing is - it solves the low power output issue not. We can say more after the report.

BTW, I see no sense (xcept increasing the postcount :mis: ) in asking for help when the only reply is "Huh?" or "lol" :p

wadej88
16-09-08, 07:33
Something strange happened today , i heard a crunching noise, then it would stop. Then it would start up again faster, it kept going till it sounded like an old hyundai XD, Had a look and it was the fan going!. after a while the crunching sound stopped, and the fan was still running normally!

Perhaps something was jamming it?:p

EscondeR
16-09-08, 08:00
^ Perhaps, it's really time to:

change the PSU
OR open it (powered off of course) and clean the fan if you dare :)

wadej88
18-09-08, 07:36
Hey guys,

took a fan out of an old PSU and its running fine.

my psu power is 300 w and was wondering if it would handle ontop of my mobo and cd etc :

NVIDIA (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=220276776809&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=012)
COMP BLOWER (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320291820456&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=011)

An average sound blaster card,

and this strange mouse (http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=320291820456&ssPageName=STRK:MEWN:IT&ih=011)

thnx guys XD

EscondeR
18-09-08, 08:28
^ It will (on the edge of it's abilities), so if you plan to upgrade later, then include new PSU (at least 600W) in your plans :)