PDA

View Full Version : Vista problem!

Lara Croft!
16-09-08, 19:07
Hi guys! I wanted to ask something...
My boyfriend has Vista and is the administrator of his pc. He shares it with his younger brother and had created an account for him. He had a password, so his younger brother couldn't see his files or mess with any settings.

Yesterday though, his brother managed to get to a file with movies from his account, supposedly protected and the next day when we were on the main account, those movie files along with some pictures were corrupted. They wouldn't play or anything.
His brother says he did nothing wrong, that he was surprised there wasn't a password requested, he kept pressing "Continue" buttons (you know how Vista can be over-protected:D) and he remembers seeing somewhere the words "security tab".

We managed to restore the files, but we have no idea what caused all of this. Does anyone have any ideas so that we can be more careful in the future?

spikejones
16-09-08, 20:41
make sure that the brother does not have full access role. basically speaking the brother's account should be limited account only if you don't want him to see/have access to your b/f folders.

beyond that, always be sure that the stuff is not shortcutted in any way and that the files are stored in your BF profile and not under ALL USERS/shared Documents/videos etc...

edit...
also imagine the possibility of someone being able to boot in safe mode or use alternate means to get to the TRUE administrator account. even if someones "account" is limited, they would still be able to boot in as administrator... this is reason why windows is not very secure as far as accounts go.

EscondeR
17-09-08, 05:31
^ All fair.

1. Bro must be of Users or Advanced users group (the last is not recommended though). Delete him from all other groups.

2. To enforce protection of personal data right click all the folders with your b/f files, select Properties, go to Security tab and allow Full Access to your b/f account, delete all other permissions except SYSTEM ones.

3. Read THIS (http://www.tombraiderwiki.com/index.php/Administrator) :)

spikejones
17-09-08, 05:42
in regards to {link}THIS{/link} (being silly i know)..

this is good to use to lock down the administrator account from unwanted access by little bro.. (not sure if you caught on to that or not).

BUT... make 100% sure that it is something you/your b/f will remember in the event that you need administrator access for repair process. would be bad to forget the password that you need to do a simple reparation and end up having to reinstall the whole operating system.

EscondeR
17-09-08, 05:53
^ :D
A good way is to write down this password and store it at Lora's place ;) or in mobile - annagrammed...

Lara Croft!
18-09-08, 14:27
Οk! Thank you both for the advice...

What's troubling me though, is how he managed to corrupt data, just by tryiing to open them? It's like Vista has a security self-destruction protection....:D

EscondeR
18-09-08, 19:41
What's troubling me though, is how he managed to corrupt data, just by tryiing to open them? It's like Vista has a security self-destruction protection....:D

Well... You know that from his words only :pi: