PDA

View Full Version : Fallout 3

Pages : [1] 2

jjbennett
17-09-08, 21:20
Anyone else as excited about this as i am?!

Just ordered the tin off game and my God it looks cool;
http://www.game.co.uk/PS3/RolePlaying/~r335448/Fallout-3-Collectors-Edition/?s=fallout+3

Heehee!

irjudd
17-09-08, 21:34
Since I really know nothing about the first two games, I'm not as excited as I could be, but since it looks like a great game done by a great developer, I'm excited enough about it!

jjbennett
17-09-08, 21:43
I've not played the first two either!

Forwen
17-09-08, 22:19
I played the first two and even though I'm no Fallout purist (or, as I saw someone refer to them, "little shiny gems of hatred") I kind of understand where they come from with their reservations. So I'm cautious.

Oblivion wasn't as monumental as either of Fallouts.

jjbennett
17-09-08, 22:42
I really want a demo just to see how the controls will fare on the ps3 as all the demonstrations online are from the xbox at the mo.

Kento
15-10-08, 01:55
I am interested in trying the demo before buying it, because I didn't play the previous two games . Does anybody know if there will be a demo for PS3 ?
Edit:
Humm, there's no demo :(

jjbennett
03-11-08, 09:22
Im using this thread as i think the title is more appropriate than the reviews one.

So far i have a play time of about 11 hours, nearly level 7 and i haven't talked to Moriarty in megaton yet!

I'm currently doing Moira's side quests but trying to level up so i can put my science up to 50 - then i can hack the terminal in RobCo as im hoping i can then control the robots there...

Cog
03-11-08, 09:46
Haven't seen any Monty Python references so far, but i'm liking the game.

Rivendell
03-11-08, 10:24
I'm about 6 hours into it, and I'm looking for some sat' dish in a museum. Or I'm on the way there anyway, blowing off SuperMutant's heads with my rather spiffing new shotgun. :cool:

jjbennett
03-11-08, 10:35
Haven't seen any Monty Python references so far, but i'm liking the game.
Eh? Are there supposed to be some in the game then?

I have read some really funny things and some of the dialogue options are just classic!

@ Riv - is that a Moira quest or part of the main quest?

Cog
03-11-08, 11:28
Eh? Are there supposed to be some in the game then?

Eh, i don't know, but it would've been a nice nod to the classics.

Sifo-Dyas
03-11-08, 11:41
Does anyone know if it's possible to play this game on the PC in Third-Person-Shooter mode? Originally it's meant to be first-person-shooter but apparantly one can scroll until it becomes TPS.

Does anyone know anything about this and does it still look good in TPS, please?

Thanks!

Bye for now

Cog
03-11-08, 11:46
Does anyone know if it's possible to play this game on the PC in Third-Person-Shooter mode? Originally it's meant to be first-person-shooter but apparantly one can scroll until it becomes TPS.

Does anyone know anything about this and does it still look good in TPS, please?

Thanks!

Bye for now
You can and it looks fine, but other than peeking around corners and melee fights, i don't see any good use for it, even though the camera is of a "over the shoulder" kind.

Rivendell
03-11-08, 11:48
@ Riv - is that a Moira quest or part of the main quest?

Part of the main quest with ThreeDog, or whatever his name is. :tmb:

jjbennett
03-11-08, 11:54
Ah i see, i'm doing side quests then at the moment.

You can play in 3rd person, you can make the camera go out so your character is about 2 inches tall on the screen or zoom right in for an over the shoulder view with anywhere in between. Only slight gripe is in 3rd person your character appears to "skate" over the floor, but that's a tiny niggle.

Cog
03-11-08, 12:36
Oh, great. I've skipped GNR building and went straight to Rivet City, as part of Moira's quest. Which made a certain quest become completed without doing a part of it.

jjbennett
03-11-08, 13:24
I just went to Rivet City to find Vera which would complete the "Those" quest - find a home for that little Wilks kid. When i got there it completed the quest to find info on Dad from Moriarty in Megaton as some scientist woman suggested he is in the purifying plant.

Finally leveled up so im going back to the robot factory now after i retrospectively ask Moriarty whats going on...(oh and sleep in a bed with that nice hooker :p)

crux2
03-11-08, 14:34
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y34/crux2/IMG_0530.jpg?t=1225726324

I have a cola-machine, a snooty robot butler and a ton of computer terminals. Geek FTW.

Sifo-Dyas
04-11-08, 19:32
You see? The way the character is portrayed in TPS on this screen is very good for me. It reminds me of Max Payne, Sam Fisher or Lara Croft being beautifully portrayed as well. Fact is: I personally don't see the beauty of FPS. The only thing you see are your arms and hands and the weapon you're holding. With TPS you get to see your entire character and ANY movements he/she/it makes such as facial expressions or very, very cool movements plus the fact that I personally find it easier to let myself slip into this fantasy world in TPS rather than FPS ... but that's just me talking. Is there anybody else out there who thinks the same as I do or am I all alone in this? LOL! :D

oocladableeblah
04-11-08, 21:30
Do you have a pet dog in fallout 3 that helps you?

Cog
04-11-08, 21:33
Do you have a pet dog in fallout 3 that helps you?

Yeah, you can find and "recruit" Dogmeat.

oocladableeblah
04-11-08, 21:42
Dogmeat? Is that the name of the dog? Does the dog attack the monsters too or what exactly does he do?

Nausinous
04-11-08, 21:49
Totally getting fallout 3 on my next shift at work :yah:

Cog
04-11-08, 23:11
Dogmeat? Is that the name of the dog? Does the dog attack the monsters too or what exactly does he do?
Well, Dogmeat's been around since the first Fallout (a recurring "character", if you wish), and yes, that's his name.
I haven't found the canine myself (not a huge fan of dogs, and sideckicks in general), but from what i know he will also bring you ammo from corpses...or something along those lines.

Kento
05-11-08, 01:48
Does someone know where to find the dog? :o I have no amno and no money to buy it :hea: I need help :D I found out you can "easily " kill mutants with the knife, but it takes the half of your life or even more depending on the weapong the monster has , so I need bullets :p

Another question:

What is the use of the meat and food? And drinks?

Cog
05-11-08, 05:57
People sure are creative with their characters...
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/4413/f3freemangn6.jpg

What is the use of the meat and food? And drinks?
I hate to ask, but what do you usually do with food and drinks in real life?

Greven
05-11-08, 06:36
Fallout 3 is rocking my world at the moment. I have the Vault Boy bobblehead sitting on my desk.

People sure are creative with their characters...
http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/4413/f3freemangn6.jpg

Ooh, I might have to make a Gordon Freeman character next time 'round.
My character looks disturbingly like me and it wasn't even deliberate.

I'm loving the combat shotgun -- very handy in close combat.

jjbennett
05-11-08, 13:36
Currently level 14, still haven't bothered to advance the main plot yet, I'm finishing Crowleys keys missions (two more to get) and then I'm going to carry on. Everytime i clear my subquests another one appears, it's cool but annoying as well!

I also have a Ghoul working for me :)

Dia2blo
05-11-08, 17:03
Fallout 3 is rocking my world at the moment. I have the Vault Boy bobblehead sitting on my desk.

t.

Me too! Just thought i'd mention... Does anyone HATE the map system as much as i do?? I got the game on launch, and the map just seems so much more useless than oblivion (which is odd as it is practically the same)!!! The little arrow even points you into walls and nothing!! I swear it tries to annoy me!

crux2
05-11-08, 17:49
Generally I think the map is pretty handy, I just wish there was a way to track certain NPCs who have a habit of vanishing.

The water mechanic in Megaton is gone, I told dogmeat to stay in my megaton house, and now he's gone - I followed Elder Lyons through a doorway, then lost the bugger and spent 20 mins searching the citadel to find the old git again...

oh, and the DC ruins/map could do with overhauling. It's one thing to mark a damn building, its quite another to get through the maze of rubble and tube stations... I don't mind the maze in theory, just wish they had made a more convincing obstacle than a pile of rubble that I could easily climb over in real life. :confused:

Dakaruch
06-11-08, 01:27
Just got it today, and i'm really enjoying it.
Megaton is incredible, the concept of building it with a nuclear bomb armed(and my first thought was "what the hell is that?" and then laughed like mad seeing that thing was a nuclear bomb... :D ) is different and interesting. I just hope that the main quest is deep and demanding, since the concept of pursuing your father can turn out to be soapy...
A really good game, and a great RPG from Bethesda. :tmb:

jjbennett
06-11-08, 15:00
since the concept of pursuing your father can turn out to be soapy...

Ha well that doesn't last long mate ;)

SPOILER
***He dies about halfway through the main quest***
/SPOILER

Dakaruch
06-11-08, 17:55
Ha well that doesn't last long mate ;)

That's a shame then! :p
Anyway, i'm enjoying the game a lot. And now that finally i get some though opponents it is becoming more demanding to do the quests.
Btw, where do i have to go to get an authorization to use power armor? :D

Samsdad
06-11-08, 18:02
One thing that i have heard that i will just throw out is that once you finish the main story line you can not go back and complete further side quests. So it is best to do everything you want to before finishing the main story line.

Greven
07-11-08, 00:24
Oh regarding disappearing Dogmeat: you'll probably get a pop-up message saying "Dogmeat is waiting at Vault 101" a couple of days from now. You can't seem to just leave him anywhere as the only place he'll stay for good is just outside 101.

I found the world map handy enough but the local map was just odd.

I'm on level 20 and completed the main quest by accident :(. I had to reload from an earlier save to continue exploring.

Kento
07-11-08, 03:35
I hate to ask, but what do you usually do with food and drinks in real life?

:)

I finally found the dog .

jjbennett
07-11-08, 11:35
Is he in the scrap yard?

interstellardave
07-11-08, 11:42
I started playing last night and I got into Megaton... talked to a lot of people there and all of a sudden it's like I have 4-5 missions to do! Did this happen to anyone else? I don't know what to do first, now!

Also, since I'm a female character and picked the "black widow" skill, I got a 3rd option when talking to the guy who wants Megaton "taken care of"... I wonder how that's going to work out?!

Anyway, I'm loving it so far but I feel a little overwhelmed by having to remember all the characters and what they've told me... is that information "logged" anywhere in the game or do I have to write stuff down on paper... or just suck it up and try to remember it all?

jjbennett
07-11-08, 11:57
It was like that for me, as long as you don't do the main quest (ie Dad related stuff) then you'll be ok. I wrote some things down such as going to places that people mentioned so i could warp later.

What was the third option then mate?

interstellardave
07-11-08, 12:14
It was like that for me, as long as you don't do the main quest (ie Dad related stuff) then you'll be ok. I wrote some things down such as going to places that people mentioned so i could warp later.

What was the third option then mate?

Well, I guess there might be 3 regular options, come to think of it; "yes, I'll do it", "no way", or "I'll defend this place" (that one is a little different from "no way").

It was interesting that he reacted to me like he liked me a lot right from the start, which maybe he wouldn't do with a male character--or one who didn't have the "Black Widow" attribute. Once we started talking I got past the first options without committing to anything, and then:

What I got, with Black Widow was: A flirtatious sounding phrase like "but I live here now, sweetie... surely you wouldn't want to hurt me would you?" which flustered him a bit and he said "well, no, of course I wouldn't want that... I don't know how this will go over back at Tenpenny tower but I'll see what I can do." He then said it wouldn't be long before he'd be back to tell me how it goes, and he left right away.

I'm curious now to see what happens when/if he comes back!

Kento
07-11-08, 12:50
hummm hehehe. I am black widow too but I am not going to tell you what happens :ton:

You can read on your pipboy all the misions you have started, and you can read notes or hear audio you've found on your way whenever you want . Some of them have interesting information .

I found the dog in the scrapyard, I arrived there going south from Minefield. Then , after some walking , an empty triangle appears in your screen compass, ( which points a place you haven't discovered yet) ,so you have to go east and you'll find the scrapyard . Sorry bad english :o

Cog
07-11-08, 15:29
Railway Rifle - Does Things Right.
http://i37.************/25i6fdz.jpg

interstellardave
07-11-08, 16:23
I can't wait to get some good weapons! Right now all I have is a VERY used Laser Pistol... I haven't used it yet myself, but it's already been worn out pretty good, apparently, so I got it really cheap. Oh, and also the 10mm pistol I got in the vault. Now that I've gotten my feet wet in the game I have to finish some of these early quests to get more experience and caps...

I've been dying to play all day; can't wait to get home and play over the weekend.

hummm hehehe. I am black widow too but I am not going to tell you what happens :ton:

Okay, be that way, then! :p Just so long as he doesn't come back and start following me around begging me to marry him! :cln:

Greven
08-11-08, 08:24
Railway Rifle - Does Things Right.
http://i37.************/25i6fdz.jpg

Yeah I had three pinned to the wall in a row once. Was like having an insect collection but with human heads.

Speaking of Mr Burke, I killed him and stole his clothes:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/Elfster/th_burke6.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/Elfster/burke6.jpg) http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/Elfster/th_burke.jpg (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v15/Elfster/burke.jpg)

Cog
08-11-08, 12:34
Yeah I had three pinned to the wall in a row once. Was like having an insect collection but with human heads.
There was actually a third pinned head, but it's off-screen in that shot.

Truly great RR is. Though i prefer plasma rifle for my daily extermination needs.

Cog
08-11-08, 18:12
Well. Main story and ending is indeed bo***cks.
On to side quests then.

jjbennett
10-11-08, 14:47
There's four endings though mate, surely one is good :p

Cog
10-11-08, 15:29
There's four endings though mate, surely one is good :p
Well, I've finished the game while being the "Last, Best Hope of Humanity" and it sucked - so i've reloaded, applied a couple of mods and now continue the wasteland exploration.

interstellardave
11-11-08, 03:10
I haven't been able to play since the first night! I'm a victim of my wifes' love of Rock Band, LOL... the free time I've had to play games this past weekend--and tonight was limited and my wife really wanted to play the new Rock Band AC/DC pack with me. Okay, I love playing it too and I can't argue about playing video games with my wife, either. It's really nice to play together. :)

So Fallout 3 will have to wait. I see some people are getting endings already... it may be a long time before I get my first ending!

Kento
11-11-08, 08:56
If you finish the main quest then the game ends and you can't explore or do the other quests . That is why I am exploring the map and doing first the other quests . I have being playing 40 hours and haven't discovered yet a sixth part of the map .
If you want to know the locations look at this map :

http://www.maplib.net/map.php?id=4038&l#1

I only looked to see how many locations there are, and there a a lot :jmp:

Survival
11-11-08, 10:36
A good game but it´s no match to Fallout 1 and 2. The atmosphere is nonexistent but the first 30 minutes of gameplay are brilliantly made and designed.

jjbennett
11-11-08, 21:53
Just finished it and i agree with the rumours that the main quest and endings are utter crap. You spend a long time exploring the wasteland, finding information and gaining insight into this alternative future and the ending is basically altered by different lines of dialogue. There's no FMV or anything cool, just pictures and a voice over.

I shall be trading in for CoD:WaW this friday - good game, about 50 hours for me with proabably most side quests done (a lot of places yet to explore but they can't be too interesting, 2nd hand guide to look at pictures maybe) but let down at the end.

Cog
11-11-08, 22:10
Just finished it and i agree with the rumours that the main quest and endings are utter crap. You spend a long time exploring the wasteland, finding information and gaining insight into this alternative future and the ending is basically altered by different lines of dialogue. There's no FMV or anything cool, just pictures and a voice over.

I shall be trading in for CoD:WaW this friday - good game, about 50 hours for me with proabably most side quests done (a lot of places yet to explore but they can't be too interesting, 2nd hand guide to look at pictures maybe) but let down at the end.
Sh*te endings aside, game has a high replay value by itself, and mods are already adding to it.

jjbennett
11-11-08, 22:16
Well being a PS3 user i did get quite a few glitches and stutters that although not detracting from the scale of it, got a bit annoying. Also mods can't be used again as I'm on the PS3.

Besides, it was worth the £14 i payed for it!

Spikey
12-11-08, 09:55
Well, I finally bit the bullet and bought the game. :p

I've only had one minor issue so far (aka: Mr. Burke suddenly vanishing into thin air...a quick reload sorted that out) but other than that it's a great game, and I'm having lots of fun so far. :D

VATS is so bloody and gruesome...I love it. :mis:

erosan
13-11-08, 21:05
The ending is so bad....wth were they thinking, they could at least let us continue on with the side quests.

Geck-o-Lizard
13-11-08, 22:43
Ohhhh man. I was playing for hours today, but when I got to the Iron Paladins' hideout in the radio station, I triggered some glitch that set them all on me. Then it auto-saved when I tried to run away with like 2 points of health left, and I had to waste about four fat-man nukes just so I didn't have to start back from the Vault 101 exit. FAIL.

Also, I'm getting a fair amount of graphical problems in the piles of broken buildings. Fun, though.

Greven
14-11-08, 12:16
I was having minor graphical problems (screen would go all weird randomly) but then I updated my video card driver. Seems fine now.

Kento
15-11-08, 01:50
I am totally hooked to this game . :jmp:

Lavinder
21-11-08, 06:37
:p Played it yesterday, and these guys that I was helping turned on my after I finished helping them - I think it was because I looted from one of their dead soldiers, but it's a pain in the ass! I keep dying repeatedly while trying to talk to that Dog guy :p.

Archetype
21-11-08, 06:55
found vault 106.. crazy **** down there.

Rivendell
21-11-08, 09:25
My bro's carried on playing it, but I've layed off it. I figured I was playing hours on it for no particular reason, as I didn't give a crap about the story or characters.

I noticed yesterday though that he'd found some woodland realm - very pretty and oblivionesque.

crux2
22-11-08, 08:24
Anyone still playing this game at a leisurely pace should be warned - save often and on multiple files!

Just encountered a camera bug that won't let me look using the right stick. :hea:

Spikey
22-11-08, 09:01
Nope, never encountered that bug. I did have one yesterday though where a Giant Radscorpion emitted a sharp static noise and then crashed my game. :p

I still love the game though, about 30 hours in and I've still got a ton of unfinished quests to do.

Lavinder
23-11-08, 15:59
Ohhhh man. I was playing for hours today, but when I got to the Iron Paladins' hideout in the radio station, I triggered some glitch that set them all on me. Then it auto-saved when I tried to run away with like 2 points of health left, and I had to waste about four fat-man nukes just so I didn't have to start back from the Vault 101 exit. FAIL.

Exact same thing happened to me, but I save a lot so I could go back a save. :rolleyes:

Cog
26-11-08, 22:28
BTW, G.E.C.K. Construction Set and DLC were finally announced.
http://www.actiontrip.com/rei/comments_news.phtml?id=112508_4

Mad hype!

Archetype
27-11-08, 07:24
gonna buy the PC version just for G.E.C.K

Cog
11-12-08, 16:00
Operation Anchorage DLC info and screens: http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/937/937202p1.html
Looks and sounds damn promising, if you ask me.

Based on a lot of feedback, we're going to allow the player to continue on after the main quest ends in the Broken Steel DLC. While a lot of details still have to be sorted, this will allow the player to continue on and play in the Wasteland enjoying the side and freeform quests, along with any new downloadable content we have planned in the future.
Nice. Although i'm already using a mod that slows down the XP gain and has a 25 level cap.

MrBear
11-12-08, 17:32
(...) you're probably already looking forward to the downloadable add-ons coming to Xbox 360 and PC early next year. (...)

Cog (or anyone), you wouldn't happen to know if this will favour us PS3 players as well, would you? :)

Jacen
11-12-08, 17:36
Cog (or anyone), you wouldn't happen to know if this will favour us PS3 players as well, would you? :)

Nope, according to the bethesda site:
Three downloadable content packs will be coming to Xbox 360 and Games for Windows Live starting in January that will add new quests, items, and content to Fallout 3.link (http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/home/pr-112508.php)

MrBear
11-12-08, 17:50
Aww, bugger... :o

Thanks, Mr. Rabbit :)

Jacen
11-12-08, 17:51
Sure thing Mr. Bear :p

Cog
12-12-08, 05:50
The GECK is out.
http://geck.bethsoft.com/index.php/Main_Page

robm_2007
12-12-08, 15:22
Fallout 3 takes place in Washington D.C.

where do Fallout and Fallout 2 take place?

larson n natla
12-12-08, 15:26
Just bought my 3 xmas games Fallout 3 (HALF PRICE £19.99:D), TR underworld and mirrors edge (5£ off :D) Gotta love gamestation, I checked in game straight after and every thing was normal price :p

Cog
12-12-08, 15:49
Fallout 3 takes place in Washington D.C.

where do Fallout and Fallout 2 take place?
West Coast. Southern California in F1 and Northern California/Nevada in F2.

nicola1986
12-12-08, 21:21
My bro's carried on playing it, but I've layed off it. I figured I was playing hours on it for no particular reason, as I didn't give a crap about the story or characters.

I noticed yesterday though that he'd found some woodland realm - very pretty and oblivionesque.

Yeah that is the Oasis, it's pretty cool in there, I heard Threedog talking about it on the radio so I went searching, has it's own quest line in there too. It's the only place in the game that does look like wasteland I think.

I love Fallout, I'm doing my Bobblehead search at the moment, only found 4 without help though haha :D

Forwen
15-12-08, 16:19
How hard is it to loot corpses after they explode into a thousand bloody bits thanks to the Bloody Mess perk? I'm considering picking it up but can't be bothered to sniff around the area for a chunk of meat to loot after a battle.

nicola1986
20-12-08, 11:49
LOL yeah it is, I think it's funny you can get all the weapons and stuff they are carrying from a splodge of flesh :D

Anyone know if there's anyway to stop all the Supermutants in the DC area? I heard the Brotherhood talking about it, saying they don't know what's attracting them to the area, so I wondered if there was a way of finding out?

Goose
20-12-08, 11:56
I just spend 73.99 pounds on a new graphics card so i could play it, i love it!

Iv been playing fallout since around 1998 with Fallout 1/2. I doubt fallout 3 will beat fallout 2, but the graphics make the whole experience awesome.

If you havn't played the originals, i beg that you do!

Spikey
20-12-08, 12:24
Fallout 3 Trophies are out now for the PS3, if anybody here was looking for another reason to replay it. :D

DragonSlayer
21-12-08, 19:58
saw this on gamepolitics

Bethesda's Fallout 3 Holiday Card

http://www.gamepolitics.com/2008/12/20/bethesda039s-fallout-3-holiday-card

if someone finds it in wallpaper size could they please post it?

has anyone got the collectors edition?

currently on my second playthrough doing all the sidequests

what's everyone's least favourite enemies mine is the mirelurks and radscorpions

Cog
21-12-08, 20:13
Oh my...
Jowfxw-f_EE

DragonSlayer
22-12-08, 14:33
just curious has anyone encountered any glitches.

i've only encountered one i came out of an underground train station and was
confronted by talon company mercs i killed them and fast travelled somewhere when i got there the same 3 mercs respawned when i killed them again i checked the bodies and they all had the same items including the info about the bounty on my head

Cog
22-12-08, 16:36
Glitches? What glitches? (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_bugs)

Spikey
22-12-08, 17:12
Glitches? What glitches? (http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Fallout_3_bugs)

So, not many at all then?

... :p

Cog
22-12-08, 19:59
Well, mostly dead NPCs in Megaton and game freezing in empty interiors.
I also have Paladin Hoss randomly spawning in fron of me when an exterior is loaded. He then proceeds running towards the DC. Pretty surreal.

Big E
14-01-09, 14:36
I just picked up this game on Sunday and, man, is it fun.

At first I played for about five hours and, when I was unable to get through one of Moira's early quests (the mindfield one, I believe) due to low health, no stimpacks to help me and just a couple of weapons, I started a new game, but took another, more careful attitude in playing. Now, I've played about the same amount of hours, but have some serious equipment and am having a blast.

Funny thing, is that, when I played the first time before I restarted, I was griping about how few weapons, ammunition, stimpacks, etc. I could find. When I restarted and hit the Super Duper Mart quest I almost (and not in a bad way) got bored with all of the pilfering I did in the room where the medicine was found. Really, I was liked a kid in a candy store - there's some ammo, there's some buffo, there's some jet. I swear, I must have spent five to ten minutes just clearing out that one room of supplies.

And, it's the small touches that really make this game work. Transitions from day to night and back to day again, all during one quest. The way you will slow down if you carry too many items. I could go on and on at this point but, all I have to say is, wow.

irjudd
14-01-09, 14:37
I just picked up this game on Sunday and, man, is it fun.

At first I played for about five hours and, when I was unable to get through one of Moira's early quests (the mindfield one, I believe) due to low health, no stimpacks to help me and just a couple of weapons, I started a new game, but took another, more careful attitude in playing. Now, I've played about the same amount of hours, but have some serious equipment and am having a blast.

Funny thing, is that, when I played the first time before I restarted, I was griping about how few weapons, ammunition, stimpacks, etc. I could find. When I restarted and hit the Super Duper Mart quest I almost (and not in a bad way) got bored with all of the pilfering I did in the room where the medicine was found. Really, I was liked a kid in a candy store - there's some ammo, there's some buffo, there's some jet. I swear, I must have spent five to ten minutes just clearing out that one room of supplies.

And, it's the small touches that really make this game work. Transitions from day to night and back to day again, all during one quest. The way you will slow down if you carry too many items. I could go on and on at this point but, all I have to say is, wow.
I agree :tmb: I'm probably only a little bit further than you are now and it keeps getting better and better.

Eddie Haskell
14-01-09, 14:44
I agree :tmb: I'm probably only a little bit further than you are now and it keeps getting better and better.

I truly enjoyed the game, save how it ended for me. And I guess I should point out that this is spoiler time. When that asshole President Eden wouldn't let me out without taking that toxic chemical to sabotage my old man's experiment, I figured "so what, I just won't use it when I get there". But I am confused, when I did get there, and went into the room, the messages I received indicated that I had indeed poisoned the water supply. I was a saint in that game, no way i would have ever even thought of doing that. Of course I was dead from the radiation, but what a terrible way for the game to end. And so abruptly as well, not like Bethesda to do something like that.

But overall the game was (and still is, I started another character) fantastic for the most part.

Spikey
14-01-09, 14:57
^ You can actually *spoilers*give the FEV Virus to Elder Lyons (at least, I think it's him) just before you begin the final quest. I haven't actually completed the game myself yet (since I want to finish up more quests before I do so) but I'm guessing that giving away the Virus will eliminate any chance of using it whatsoever when you do reach Project Purity.

interstellardave
14-01-09, 15:22
I've put about 70 hours into my first playthrough, LOL! I'm not done yet, either. I'm going everywhere I can possibly go--exploring every major or minor area--and have ignored the Main Quests for the most part... I've just revisted the Main Quest again after doing many side-missions. I'm already looking forward to a second playthrough.

This is the first game in a long time that I can play for several hours at a time day after day and not get bored at all. In fact I'm always stoked to play it!

Eddie Haskell
14-01-09, 15:23
I've put about 70 hours into my first playthrough, LOL! I'm not done yet, either. I'm going everywhere I can possibly go--exploring every major or minor area--and have ignored the Main Quests for the most part... I've just revisted the Main Quest again after doing many side-missions. I'm already looking forward to a second playthrough.

This is the first game in a long time that I can play for several hours at a time day after day and not get bored at all. In fact I'm always stoked to play it!

Have you faced off with a super mutant behemoth yet?

interstellardave
14-01-09, 15:28
Have you faced off with a super mutant behemoth yet?

Yeah... I don't think this will spoil it, for those who haven't...

It was the one that comes after the Teddy Bear (I'm sure you remember what I mean). Near one of the Metro Stations. He killed me about three times so I didn't provoke him again until I got the Fat Man... then I went back there with a brash, cocky, kick-ass attitude and took him down hard. :p

Kiss-Bite
14-01-09, 18:15
I thought Fallout 3 was a FPS!:yik: So I didn't play much attention to it but I've been investigating & it looks quite good after watching the Gametrailers review.:D I had know idea it was developed by the creators of the very brilliant Oblivion. Is the world as large as the Oblivion world?:) Think I'll buy it tomorrow, does anybody know if it support trophies?

da tomb raider!
14-01-09, 18:23
I rather enjoyed Fallout 3 while I had it. Too bad it kept crashing every other hour and I had to return it. That's next generation gaming for you, I guess...

I thought Fallout 3 was a FPS!:yik: So I didn't play much attention to it but I've been investigating & it looks quite good after watching the Gametrailers review.:D I had know idea it was developed by the creators of the very brilliant Oblivion. Is the world as large as the Oblivion world?:) Think I'll buy it tomorrow, does anybody know if it support trophies?

As far as I know, the retail version doesn't support trophies, but you can download a patch that adds them.

robm_2007
14-01-09, 18:24
He killed me about three times so I didn't provoke him again until I got the Fat Man... then I went back there with a brash, cocky, kick-ass attitude and took him down hard. :p

the first time i saw one, i had a Fat man. it was the behemoth by the GNR radio station HQ. so, he was about 30 feet away, and i shot the Mini Nuke at him, only to be killed by the explosion's blast radius. :) it was actually pretty cool. ive only found(and killed) 3. i think that theres 5-6.

Julija
14-01-09, 18:38
hm I now play fallout3.its my dads fav game su I tryed too.and I cinda love it:D

Eddie Haskell
14-01-09, 18:42
I first met one trapped at the railroad yard. Because I had light stepping, I mined a trail leading away form the entrance, along with the raider placed mines as well. I released him, and he chased me through bottle cap mines, frag mines and plasma ones until he got smart and ran back to his old cage. I finished him off with the railway rifle from atop the tin shacks as he came in and out trying to get me.

But a funny (and at the time scary) thing happened as I left that place. At the other end of this rail line, there were a couple of super mutants. I crept in and took them out, only to be horrified to see another behemoth come streaming down from the overpass after me. I ran, whipped out the fat man and turned and fired, only to experience the same thing that happened to robm_2007...:(

interstellardave
14-01-09, 18:43

I've heard it's not quite as large as Oblivion... but it's very large anyway... and the locations are much more unique. I heard Oblivion had a lot of generic dungeons. The Fallout world feels like a real world to me, like every location has a unique history.

A new patch has just been released to fix some glitches and it adds tropies to the PS3 version.

robm_2007
15-01-09, 13:49
I ran, whipped out the fat man and turned and fired, only to experience the same thing that happened to robm_2007...:(

lol.

interstellardave
15-01-09, 14:28
lol.

I finally made it to Little Lamplight last night... now I can see where some people wish you could kill kids in this game! :p Damn they are (most of them) awful brats!

Eddie Haskell
15-01-09, 14:33
I finally made it to Little Lamplight last night... now I can see where some people wish you could kill kids in this game! :p Damn they are (most of them) awful brats!

Yeah, the "Mayor" is a piece of work. Bold little punks aren't they?

But I advise you not to rush into the main quest to quickly. The ending is very abrupt. I must say though, seeing and fighting along with Liberty Prime is awesome to say the least. :tmb:

interstellardave
15-01-09, 14:47
Yeah, the "Mayor" is a piece of work. Bold little punks aren't they?

But I advise you not to rush into the main quest to quickly. The ending is very abrupt. I must say though, seeing and fighting along with Liberty Prime is awesome to say the least. :tmb:

I just got into Vault 87, from Little Lamplight. That's where I stopped. Do you think now is the time to go back into Little Lamplight (if I can) and do any other quests? Can I do this next portion and get out of this Main storyline afterwards? I didn't think I was that close to the end...

Eddie Haskell
15-01-09, 15:08
I just got into Vault 87, from Little Lamplight. That's where I stopped. Do you think now is the time to go back into Little Lamplight (if I can) and do any other quests? Can I do this next portion and get out of this Main storyline afterwards? I didn't think I was that close to the end...

Travel, see the sights so-to-speak. Check out the map in all directions before you go any further in the main quest.

interstellardave
15-01-09, 15:17
Travel, see the sights so-to-speak. Check out the map in all directions before you go any further in the main quest.

Okay... I've done a lot of that 'cause I've played for 70 hours so far... but there is still unfinished business out there. There's so much to see and do!

Eddie Haskell
15-01-09, 15:30
For those who wish to see, or for those who are never going to play the game, look at this youtube video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QU_EsoMsfbM&feature=PlayList&p=2EC7292EDB22994B&playnext=1&index=63) of Liberty Prime in action. I'm glad he's on the side of good...:D

Geck-o-Lizard
15-01-09, 15:57
Liberty Prime has hit a glitch for me and won't take a single step forwards after blasting down that first Enclave transport ship. I can't finish the game. :mad:

Eddie Haskell
15-01-09, 16:11
Liberty Prime has hit a glitch for me and won't take a single step forwards after blasting down that first Enclave transport ship. I can't finish the game. :mad:

Are you playing it on the PC? I never experienced a single problem on the PC, but it may be that I am on a top-notch system.

interstellardave
15-01-09, 16:18

Can't you go back to a previous save and try again?

Save often... keep many saves... that's my motto (and I haven't even had to go back because of any glitches (knock on wood)!

Lavinder
15-01-09, 16:27
I save every 5 minutes, just because I'm a chicken :p.

I'm stuck trying to deactivate the slave collars because I don't have high enough skills and I don't want to go on a tangent to get my levels up lol.. I might just kill everyone :mis:...

Geck-o-Lizard
15-01-09, 16:45
Loooool I didn't deactivate them. I've enslaved three of the four people the slavers asked me to, plus about eight random raiders. Paradise Falls is a goldmine. :D

Can't you go back to a previous save and try again?

Save often... keep many saves... that's my motto (and I haven't even had to go back because of any glitches (knock on wood)!

Already tried that a dozen times but it never works. :( I have over 100 saves to go back to any point in the game, lol. I've also tried running back and forth between him and the first forcefield, but he ignores me. I've tried quick-waiting, and all he does is shuffle his feet. I've searched the water all around the bridge in case an enemy fell down there that Liberty spotted and I didn't, but there's no one there. I'm baffled why this glitch has occurred. The game's been nearly flawless up til now, except for one minor bloody incident with the Brotherhood in Galaxy Radio ages ago...

Eddie - yep I'm on PC.

interstellardave
15-01-09, 16:46
I save every 5 minutes, just because I'm a chicken :p.

I'm stuck trying to deactivate the slave collars because I don't have high enough skills and I don't want to go on a tangent to get my levels up lol.. I might just kill everyone :mis:...

I couldn't get that quest... no-one in Little Lamplight brought it up, either. I did go to Paradise Falls once but didn't do anything because I wanted to officially have the quest; I wonder if I can just go there, kill all those rotten slavers, and then return the kids to LL... if that will give me the quest achievement?

Already tried that a dozen times but it never works. :( I have over 100 saves to go back to any point in the game, lol. I've also tried running back and forth between him and the first forcefield, but he ignores me. I've tried quick-waiting, and all he does is shuffle his feet. I've searched the water all around the bridge in case an enemy fell down there that Liberty spotted and I didn't, but there's no one there. I'm baffled why this glitch has occurred. The game's been nearly flawless up til now.

I don't know what system you're playing on but did you download the recent patch? They say it fixes certain glitches...

ALSO: I just did some looking on Gamefaqs... one guy said that happened to him and he went back and realized that some friendlies weren't following along... once he rounded them up and got them to proceed, the robot started moving again. Another guy said to save the game right there (while the robot can't/won't move) and restart from that save--and it will move. Sounds weird but you can try it.

Kiss-Bite
15-01-09, 17:01
Well I just bought Fallout 3 for £19.oo at GAME in a sale, so bargin! The nice Mr that served me said it was an excellent game so look forward to playing it later.:D

Geck-o-Lizard
15-01-09, 17:59
I don't know what system you're playing on but did you download the recent patch? They say it fixes certain glitches...

ALSO: I just did some looking on Gamefaqs... one guy said that happened to him and he went back and realized that some friendlies weren't following along... once he rounded them up and got them to proceed, the robot started moving again. Another guy said to save the game right there (while the robot can't/won't move) and restart from that save--and it will move. Sounds weird but you can try it.

Ooh thanks I'll try that.

Haven't patched the game yet, no.

irjudd
27-01-09, 21:50
Anybody gotten the DLC (http://www.gamesforwindows.com/en-US/Live/Pages/f3operationanchorage.aspx) yet?

illuminati30
29-01-09, 00:40
Well I just bought Fallout 3 for £19.oo at GAME in a sale, so bargin! The nice Mr that served me said it was an excellent game so look forward to playing it later.:D

Just bought it today, not played yet! Any good?

Natey168
29-01-09, 00:48
Just bought it today, not played yet! Any good?

Hells yes it's good! I played it for 10 hours straight the other day. >.<

Anybody else think that Vault 112 is the best thing ever?

illuminati30
02-02-09, 14:30
Been playing this recently. Mixed feelings!

I was quite excited to actually have a new game, so of course I played the game without reading the instruction booklet (with full intention of going back to read it later) thinking maybe I will be able to get by, having played Oblivion, maybe the inventory is similar. Hmm Wrong! So I had a read of the instruction booklet, and all was well, but when it came to playing the game, i forgot almost everything, but at the same time i am keen to play the game, rather than read the booklet. It's going to have to be done though, as i have no idea how to trade, and i seem to have only 9 caps, I'm unsure of how to kill enemies, and I don't really appreciate the concept of action points. Gonna have to get some tips, as I am being slaughtered in the waste land, and i refuse to set the game to easy.

EDIT: Perhaps one day video games with particularly complex inventories could come with an instruction video, rather than booklet, as it's not that i am unwilling to read it, it can be hard to apply it to the on screen visualisation, and sometimes excitment to play the game can over take the need to read the booklet. How many people buy a new game, then sit down and read the instruction booklet for 30 mins - 1 hour before putting it in?

As for the mood, it really feels authentic, and you can really really tell it's from the same makers of Oblivion, it feels like it, yet it does not. I do actually feel quite scared out on the waste lands, and it really is quite tough out there. It's a very dark game though, and the world is totally totally wrecked and miserable, and there doesn't seem to be any part of the land which has gone even slightly untouched, the entire place is obliterated. Another sad thing is that the people are acting and behaving exactly how people would act and behave in the situation. I spent the whole night tossing in turning in my sleep, and i was actually dreaming about this game, and I had a whole lot of moral objectives to wrestle with. I just hope the mood of the game does not become unbearable.

irjudd
02-02-09, 16:54
Been playing this recently. Mixed feelings!

I was quite excited to actually have a new game, so of course I played the game without reading the instruction booklet (with full intention of going back to read it later) thinking maybe I will be able to get by, having played Oblivion, maybe the inventory is similar. Hmm Wrong! So I had a read of the instruction booklet, and all was well, but when it came to playing the game, i forgot almost everything, but at the same time i am keen to play the game, rather than read the booklet. It's going to have to be done though, as i have no idea how to trade, and i seem to have only 9 caps, I'm unsure of how to kill enemies, and I don't really appreciate the concept of action points. Gonna have to get some tips, as I am being slaughtered in the waste land, and i refuse to set the game to easy.

EDIT: Perhaps one day video games with particularly complex inventories could come with an instruction video, rather than booklet, as it's not that i am unwilling to read it, it can be hard to apply it to the on screen visualisation, and sometimes excitment to play the game can over take the need to read the booklet. How many people buy a new game, then sit down and read the instruction booklet for 30 mins - 1 hour before putting it in?

As for the mood, it really feels authentic, and you can really really tell it's from the same makers of Oblivion, it feels like it, yet it does not. I do actually feel quite scared out on the waste lands, and it really is quite tough out there. It's a very dark game though, and the world is totally totally wrecked and miserable, and there doesn't seem to be any part of the land which has gone even slightly untouched, the entire place is obliterated. Another sad thing is that the people are acting and behaving exactly how people would act and behave in the situation. I spent the whole night tossing in turning in my sleep, and i was actually dreaming about this game, and I had a whole lot of moral objectives to wrestle with. I just hope the mood of the game does not become unbearable.
In general, I get my instruction booklet reading all wrapped up while the game is installing. And I generally always read it first.

As far as inventory confusion goes, in the beginning you really only need focus on things like food or health packs, and ammunition. The little piddly things you find in the wastes, like old cans, plates, forks blah blah aren't useful until you find schematics that might need them. You'll know when you find such schematics. They'll list what items you need. They'll be listed in the Data section of your Pip-Boy.

If you're having a hard time with combat, you need to make use of VATS. You hit the VATS button and you see your enemy's body parts sectioned off, with a percentage. This percentage is how good the chance of hitting that part. So if you have a 94% on the head, you'll obviously want to click the head a few times and it'll queue up your shots. Accept your selections and watch their head get shot off.
Seriously, USE VATS. It makes combat so much easier in the beginning.

Keep your weapons in good condition. In order to repair items, you will see that you can select "Repair" in the weapon selection, but it only works if you have another weapon just like it. For example, if you have 2 Hunter's Rifles, you can destroy one of them to repair the other.

If you're the slightest bit squeamish, this isn't the game for you. It is dark, and it does not get any lighter toned. This is a depressing, gruesome wasteland.

illuminati30
02-02-09, 17:04
In general, I get my instruction booklet reading all wrapped up while the game is installing. And I generally always read it first.

As far as inventory confusion goes, in the beginning you really only need focus on things like food or health packs, and ammunition. The little piddly things you find in the wastes, like old cans, plates, forks blah blah aren't useful until you find schematics that might need them. You'll know when you find such schematics. They'll list what items you need. They'll be listed in the Data section of your Pip-Boy.

If you're having a hard time with combat, you need to make use of VATS. You hit the VATS button and you see your enemy's body parts sectioned off, with a percentage. This percentage is how good the chance of hitting that part. So if you have a 94% on the head, you'll obviously want to click the head a few times and it'll queue up your shots. Accept your selections and watch their head get shot off.
Seriously, USE VATS. It makes combat so much easier in the beginning.

Keep your weapons in good condition. In order to repair items, you will see that you can select "Repair" in the weapon selection, but it only works if you have another weapon just like it. For example, if you have 2 Hunter's Rifles, you can destroy one of them to repair the other.

If you're the slightest bit squeamish, this isn't the game for you. It is dark, and it does not get any lighter toned. This is a depressing, gruesome wasteland.

OK thanks, Any tips on how to make money to buy better weapons?

Eddie Haskell
02-02-09, 17:14

Don't buy, kill an enemy with the weapon you want. The Super Mutants carry a lot of hunting rifles and miniguns, the Raiders carry combat shotguns, rifles, 10mm weapons, etc...just kill the bad guys and take their weapons. And irjudd is right, use V.A.T.S.. But just remember that it takes a while for it to "recharge", so be ready to take some abuse if you don't get a good kill in V.A.T.S. I recommend that anyone use as much stealth or cover as possible to get close enough for a good, quick kill. My favorite weapon is the railway rifle. That thing is devastating. But the most valuable weapons in my opinion are the combat shotgun and Lincolns Repeater. In close quarters use the shotgun, and for a bit of distance Lincolns gun.

Are you planning on being a good guy or a bad guy?

irjudd
02-02-09, 17:33
And for sneaking around killing wimpy things, I'd suggest you use the Hunter's Rifle since it and it's ammo are all over the place. As Eddie Haskell says, Railway Rifle is a must. Get its schematics as soon as you are able.
Lincolns Repeater is by far the best .44 you'll find.

illuminati30
02-02-09, 17:42
Don't buy, kill an enemy with the weapon you want.

LOL good advice thanks. But it's ok as long as i can kill them with my puny pistol!

And irjudd is right, use V.A.T.S.. But just remember that it takes a while for it to "recharge", so be ready to take some abuse if you don't get a good kill in V.A.T.S.

Yeah it's this aspect i find unusual. Maybe not unusual in games, but different for me. It's a case of 'oh crap, what do i do now? Other than avoid being hit!'

Are you planning on being a good guy or a bad guy?

Well i had good Karma until i met the bar owner, he is such a mean dick, and trying to get you to pay for info on where your father is is pretty low, so i sneaked in the back door, stole his things and hacked his computer to find out where my dad is. I intended to be bad at the start for a laugh, but i changed my mind when i started playing. I'm gonna try and do whatever I would do as a person, to see how the experience is, although i don't always have the same perception of good and bad as most people, if i can justify something, (like hacking into bar owners computer for example) then i might do it. I am also considering blowing up Megaton, just for a laugh. Well it is just a game after all :p

Eddie Haskell
02-02-09, 18:00
Well i had good Karma until i met the bar owner, he is such a mean dick, and trying to get you to pay for info on where your father is is pretty low, so i sneaked in the back door, stole his things and hacked his computer to find out where my dad is. I intended to be bad at the start for a laugh, but i changed my mind when i started playing. I'm gonna try and do whatever I would do as a person, to see how the experience is, although i don't always have the same perception of good and bad as most people, if i can justify something, (like hacking into bar owners computer for example) then i might do it. I am also considering blowing up Megaton, just for a laugh. Well it is just a game after all :p

I can never play a bad guy in any game. Or I should say that I refuse to do it. In this game they always call me "that saint from the vault" everywhere I go. But I always get the last laugh...;)

illuminati30
02-02-09, 18:08
I can never play a bad guy in any game. Or I should say that I refuse to do it. In this game they always call me "that saint from the vault" everywhere I go. But I always get the last laugh...;)

You mean you didn't join the dark brother hood in Oblivion!? :mis: Riv persuaded me to do that, glad he did, as it's fun. It is just a game after all, and a great way to make mega bucks. Where are the murder missions in this game? :mis:

Eddie Haskell
02-02-09, 18:14
You mean you didn't join the dark brother hood in Oblivion!? :mis: Riv persuaded me to do that, glad he did, as it's fun. It is just a game after all, and a great way to make mega bucks. Where are the murder missions in this game? :mis:

No, that I did. I explained it here (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=3412005&postcount=106).

illuminati30
02-02-09, 18:17
No, that I did. I explained it here (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=3412005&postcount=106).

I needed talked into it also, but i am glad i did. It is after all just a game.

Eddie Haskell
02-02-09, 18:24
I needed talked into it also, but i am glad i did. It is after all just a game.

I have always believed that "You are what you eat". And it follows that "You are what you do" as well...;)

illuminati30
02-02-09, 18:36
I have always believed that "You are what you eat". And it follows that "You are what you do" as well...;)

Well in that case, we are both paid assassins as we did the dark brotherhood missions, and cold blooded killers at all the mercs we have murdered in Tomb Raider :p

interstellardave
02-02-09, 18:44

They've given you good advice... also remember that the "best" weapons are sometimes only best depending on your skills. I put a lot into energy weapons (for that futuristic feel) and I'm pretty mean with the Wazer Wifle (that's a special version Laser Rifle you can get during one particular quest). Of course nothing beats the Fatman w/mini nukes, regardless of your skill... :p

I felt like I couldn't "get ahead" until I reached about level 8 or so. Then it seemed like I was finally getting tons of ammo, tons of stimpaks, etc. I had plenty of surplus to sell and I was soon swimming in caps too.

Just explore as much as possible and collect as much as you can along the way... keep repairing the weapons you want, as well as the ones you intend to sell. I've made tons of caps selling cigarettes too (and you don't even take a Karma hit for it, LOL!).

Oh, and if you DON'T blow up Megaton but disarm the bomb instead, you'll get your own place there--I hardly think that's a spoiler 'cause it's general knowledge--and that will enable you to start stockpiling stuff. Until then you're truly living out of pocket, and carrying weapons and armor you may not want to use at the time... or maybe can't sell yet.

irjudd
02-02-09, 19:05
Oh, and if you DON'T blow up Megaton but disarm the bomb instead, you'll get your own place there--I hardly think that's a spoiler 'cause it's general knowledge--and that will enable you to start stockpiling stuff. Until then you're truly living out of pocket, and carrying weapons and armor you may not want to use at the time... or maybe can't sell yet.
That was news to me. But a spoiler I'm glad I just read as I'd been ignoring the bomb in Megaton.

interstellardave
02-02-09, 19:11
That was news to me. But a spoiler I'm glad I just read as I'd been ignoring the bomb in Megaton.

NOTE: You can get a place elsewhere if you blow up Megaton, by the way... but it's less convenient to get into and out of, so many prefer the Megaton house.

I'm a level 20 ultra-good-girl in my playthrough now, but I do plan on being evil on my next playthrough... so I'll follow a different path. It's easier to do all the quests and get most of the achievements on a good playthrough though.

Ward Dragon
02-02-09, 19:20
Over 100 posts and no one has brought up Charon yet? :( Anyway, what was everyone's favorite buddy? :D

Eddie Haskell
02-02-09, 19:22
They've given you good advice... also remember that the "best" weapons are sometimes only best depending on your skills. I put a lot into energy weapons (for that futuristic feel) and I'm pretty mean with the Wazer Wifle (that's a special version Laser Rifle you can get during one particular quest). Of course nothing beats the Fatman w/mini nukes, regardless of your skill... :p

I felt like I couldn't "get ahead" until I reached about level 8 or so. Then it seemed like I was finally getting tons of ammo, tons of stimpaks, etc. I had plenty of surplus to sell and I was soon swimming in caps too.

Just explore as much as possible and collect as much as you can along the way... keep repairing the weapons you want, as well as the ones you intend to sell. I've made tons of caps selling cigarettes too (and you don't even take a Karma hit for it, LOL!).

As soon as I was able to I disarmed the bomb. My place in Megaton is decorated in the Pre-War style, complete with my very own Nuka-Cola machine...:)

You can also get a place in Tennyson Tower (or so my nephew tells me), but I worked my ass off to get those ghouls to be able to live there with those upper crust snobs. It's so funny going in there now...:D

illuminati30
02-02-09, 19:27
Good advice all round, thanks people!

Ward Dragon
02-02-09, 19:27
As soon as I was able to I disarmed the bomb. My place in Megaton is decorated in the Pre-War style, complete with my very own Nuka-Cola machine...:)

Mine too :D I ended up having such a surplus of caps that I bought everything I could for the house even though I didn't really need it. I started using the Nuka Cola machine as a fridge storing all my food there (not just Nuka Cola) :p

You can also get a place in Tennyson Tower (or so my nephew tells me), but I worked my ass off to get those ghouls to be able to live there with those upper crust snobs. It's so funny going in there now...:D

Shoot, I totally missed that area! I'll have to go look for it :D

Eddie Haskell
02-02-09, 19:29
Over 100 posts and no one has brought up Charon yet? :( Anyway, what was everyone's favorite buddy? :D

Dogmeat. I made sure that nothing was going to happen to him, I make him stay in my house all day and all night.

Ward Dragon
02-02-09, 19:31
Dogmeat. I made sure that nothing was going to happen to him, I make him stay in my house all day and all night.

I found out about him after I already won the game. I can't believe I missed that area. What happened was I kind of focused on the main quest and now it looks like I have to load a save to get a lot of the side quests since I couldn't keep playing after the game was over :hea:

But anyway, Charon is so awesome. I am still laughing at what he did when I first got him to join me :vlol: :D I'm not going to spoil it though in case anyone hasn't gotten that yet.

Eddie Haskell
02-02-09, 19:38
I found out about him after I already won the game. I can't believe I missed that area. What happened was I kind of focused on the main quest and now it looks like I have to load a save to get a lot of the side quests since I couldn't keep playing after the game was over :hea:

But anyway, Charon is so awesome. I am still laughing at what he did when I first got him to join me :vlol: :D I'm not going to spoil it though in case anyone hasn't gotten that yet.

I learned a long time ago and from many games to ignore the main quest for as long as possible for two reasons. One is to see as much as possible and experience and learn the game well before it ends prematurely, and the other is to get as tough, as powerful and loaded with the most firepower you can get to crush the opposition (who and whatever that may be).

I really don't like having to defend someone else while I am fighting. I spend more time worrying about a partner than I do looking after my own health. So, I would rather fight alone and protect the others (preferably by keeping them in a safe place).

illuminati30
02-02-09, 19:40
I really don't like having to defend someone else while I am fighting. I spend more time worrying about a partner than I do looking after my own health. So, I would rather fight alone and protect the others (preferably by keeping them in a safe place).

I agree with this, there is nothing more annoying!

Eddie Haskell
02-02-09, 19:48
I agree with this, there is nothing more annoying!

That's for sure. But I did try and get that guy Jericho to be my "buddy". He always refused my friendship, calling me a goody two-shoes or something. All I wanted to do was take him out in the wasteland to see if he was as tough as he likes to sound...:mis:

Edit:
I did have Fawkes come with me at the end of my first play through. That guy seemed indestructible.

interstellardave
02-02-09, 20:32
Charon hardly needs defending, just give him a good set of armor and he's good to go (my Charon has Tesla Armor). Fawkes is even better, so I hear, but I've only had Charon with me... I keep Dogmeat at my house 'cause I can't bear to have him die, which kinda makes Dogmeat a sad addition to the game. He stands in my house like a piece of furniture, really, no "personality" when he doesn't have specific in-the-field-tasks to perform. :(

My Megaton house is fully decked out with all the extras--except the theme; I didn't know which one to choose and there's no preview option! I looked at them online the other night, though, and pre-war might be the best option for me.

I've been at level 20 for a long time now and still have several Main Storyline quests to go... I stopped that completely and am now just trying to visit every location in the game; see it all, as it were! I want to do it now so my next playthrough can be "just for kicks"--in that one I won't worry about going everywhere, I'll just try out different ways of talking to people (not always nice), perhaps killing some of the people who you shouldn't kill but are jerks so you really want to, etc. :cln:

illuminati30
02-02-09, 21:54
I'm doing better already, just taking my time now. It seems there is quite a lot of money can be made in the waste lands.

Ward Dragon
02-02-09, 23:43
I learned a long time ago and from many games to ignore the main quest for as long as possible for two reasons. One is to see as much as possible and experience and learn the game well before it ends prematurely, and the other is to get as tough, as powerful and loaded with the most firepower you can get to crush the opposition (who and whatever that may be).

Ah, that explains the differences. I focused mostly on the main quest so I was always a little weak compared to the enemies and it was Charon who was defending me, definitely not the other way around :vlol:

That's for sure. But I did try and get that guy Jericho to be my "buddy". He always refused my friendship, calling me a goody two-shoes or something. All I wanted to do was take him out in the wasteland to see if he was as tough as he likes to sound...:mis:

Edit:
I did have Fawkes come with me at the end of my first play through. That guy seemed indestructible.

Jericho only goes with you if you have bad karma. Fawkes is freaking awesome :jmp: I was so angry at the game when I found out it only let me have one buddy at a time. I wanted both Charon and Fawkes but I wasn't allowed :(

Charon hardly needs defending, just give him a good set of armor and he's good to go (my Charon has Tesla Armor). Fawkes is even better, so I hear, but I've only had Charon with me...

Exactly :D We were both wearing Enclave power armor for awhile, but then I found other stuff. I gave Charon the experimental medical armor and a motorcycle helmet since the armor didn't come with one :p And I wore the armor I got from Reilly.

Also, as far as Fawkes is concerned, you get him near the end of the main quest so don't worry about him for now :)

My Megaton house is fully decked out with all the extras--except the theme; I didn't know which one to choose and there's no preview option! I looked at them online the other night, though, and pre-war might be the best option for me.

I think pre-war is the best too. It's the only one that actually looks like a semi-decent place to live. What I did is I saved in Moira's shop, bought one of the themes, ran back to my house to see how it looked, and then loaded. I checked all of them that way and then eventually decided to buy the pre-war one.

illuminati30
03-02-09, 00:44
Doing better now, on level 4 and have about 700 caps, plus my own place in Megaton. :D Working through Moria's research missions. She is so annoying!

interstellardave
03-02-09, 01:29
Doing better now, on level 4 and have about 700 caps, plus my own place in Megaton. :D Working through Moria's research missions. She is so annoying!

A little hint... try to accomplish all the optional parts of her missions, too... the ultimate payment will be better that way. ;)

Eddie Haskell
03-02-09, 02:37
A little hint... try to accomplish all the optional parts of her missions, too... the ultimate payment will be better that way. ;)

Another hint...don't exterminate (render extinct) nearly all the mole rats in the game before she gives that quest. I did, and spent hour after hour searching for a few living mole rats.

Ward Dragon
03-02-09, 03:12
While we're at it, this is totally unrelated to Moira, but save up all of the Nuka Cola Quantums that you find. They don't do much if you drink them anyway, and you can collect them for a quest later on.

interstellardave
03-02-09, 10:39
While we're at it, this is totally unrelated to Moira, but save up all of the Nuka Cola Quantums that you find. They don't do much if you drink them anyway, and you can collect them for a quest later on.

VERY TRUE! (also, after that quest is over the Quantums can be used to make an awesome weapon).

Also, I don't drink any regular Nuka Colas either... it doesn't mean anything in game terms but it's just been a hobby of mine collecting them all. I don't know the exact count right now but my Nuka Cola machine probably has around 300 in it!

illuminati30
03-02-09, 12:10

In one instant i thought I had. In the raid the supermarket mission, i took out all the raiders, nicked food, and opened the door to the pharmacy, found some radaway, used it. Then i heard someone break in. Not exactly up for another shoot out so soon, i scampered, back to Megaton, only to discover, i had not not completed the 'find medicine' part of the mission Grrr!

irjudd
03-02-09, 14:06
Good advice. I made that mistake and now that I have that damn quest, the 3 locations I'm to go to have already been long since looted :vlol:

Poke Warrior
03-02-09, 14:13
I have completed this game fully now woohoo :)

Eddie Haskell
03-02-09, 14:53
Good advice. I made that mistake and now that I have that damn quest, the 3 locations I'm to go to have already been long since looted :vlol:

If you're talking about the goofy broad 's Nuka-Cola quest, you can get the schematic a couple of other ways (and much easier). I bought it from Doc Hoff (the merchant who hangs around outside Megaton). And just yesterday I found another in a cave.

On another note, yesterday I managed to lead the Super Mutant Behemoth who is caged by the Raiders all the way to battle the Talon maniacs in Fort Bannister. It took a long time (and I took a lot of damage) to get him to follow me all the way there. That was so much fun to watch, and included in this melee were several Super Mutants, a couple scorpions, a couple dogs, a Robobrain and a Protectron. Guess who won? ;)

irjudd
03-02-09, 14:54
You did.

Eddie Haskell
03-02-09, 15:03
You did.

Eventually...:)

interstellardave
03-02-09, 15:04
Giving her the 30 Quantums gives you the achievement, though, and a nice experience boost. Of course what you can do is give them to her, get the achievement, then reload to a previous save and keep them for yourself. I was going to do that but I wound up keeping the quest completed. I don't like leaving things undone.

In one instant i thought I had. In the raid the supermarket mission, i took out all the raiders, nicked food, and opened the door to the pharmacy, found some radaway, used it. Then i heard someone break in. Not exactly up for another shoot out so soon, i scampered, back to Megaton, only to discover, i had not not completed the 'find medicine' part of the mission Grrr!

You never have to tell her you're done until you're done, though. You either didn't have to talk to her, or just pick a dialogue option that lets her know you haven't been there yet. Then go back and get the medicine. Or you could try to lie to her about what happened there; although at low levels you'd probably get caught lying!

Dingaling
03-02-09, 16:47
I just started playing the game yesterday again (the last time I played it was when I talked to Eddie about it on the day of the Eurogamer Top 50 list) from just after exiting the Vault and I can't get into it. Maybe it's a case of I'll get back into again but I kept switching it off and on last night. Then I felt like I needed some direction and linearity. That would be the main quest but I wanted to explore. So I was stuck between following the quest and going off and doing my own thing.

I did my own thing which proceeded to annoy me. I raided some school and then some supermarket, found some granny person, some annoying little boy annoyed me about his pappa and then I got killed by a Fire Ant.

Was not in the mood for the game and shoved it off again :/.

Plus, when I started the game up for the first time yesterday, my VATS system didn't work. I contemplated coming on here to ask if anyone could figure out why but I decided not to so I went through a large part of what I did without VATS losing a substantial number of stimpaks.

I eventually found out (from my own doing) that because my controller was charging while playing the VATS was useless. But, I also found out that if I start the game without the charging it still renders the VAT useless. So I have to in case a, take the lead out to stop it charging or in case b, charge it.

I also think the VATS thing put me off because one of the game's mechanics wasn't working - one which I knew how to use properly - and also one that is essential to the game.

Oh well, hopefully today the game'll be enjoyable for me. I was really enjoying it when I first started it.

Eddie Haskell
03-02-09, 17:29
I just started playing the game yesterday again (the last time I played it was when I talked to Eddie about it on the day of the Eurogamer Top 50 list) from just after exiting the Vault and I can't get into it. Maybe it's a case of I'll get back into again but I kept switching it off and on last night. Then I felt like I needed some direction and linearity. That would be the main quest but I wanted to explore. So I was stuck between following the quest and going off and doing my own thing.

I did my own thing which proceeded to annoy me. I raided some school and then some supermarket, found some granny person, some annoying little boy annoyed me about his pappa and then I got killed by a Fire Ant.

Was not in the mood for the game and shoved it off again :/.

Plus, when I started the game up for the first time yesterday, my VATS system didn't work. I contemplated coming on here to ask if anyone could figure out why but I decided not to so I went through a large part of what I did without VATS losing a substantial number of stimpaks.

I eventually found out (from my own doing) that because my controller was charging while playing the VATS was useless. But, I also found out that if I start the game without the charging it still renders the VAT useless. So I have to in case a, take the lead out to stop it charging or in case b, charge it.

I also think the VATS thing put me off because one of the game's mechanics wasn't working - one which I knew how to use properly - and also one that is essential to the game.

Oh well, hopefully today the game'll be enjoyable for me. I was really enjoying it when I first started it.

You are positive I take it that you are using V.A.T.S. correctly? You're hitting the "V" key, and then this screen comes up (http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images/thumb/b/b7/VATS.jpg/800px-VATS.jpg). Then you use the mouse to select the area(s) to attack as many times as the weapon and your skill allow. You then hit the "E" key to execute it.

I don't know anything about controllers, the game plays wonderfully with the keyboard and mouse.

And by the way that quest with the ants and the kid is pretty good. But I won't spoil it, I hope the kid is still alive...:confused:

irjudd
03-02-09, 17:31
You are positive I take it that you are using V.A.T.S. correctly? You're hitting the "V" key, and then this screen comes up (http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/fallout/images/thumb/b/b7/VATS.jpg/800px-VATS.jpg). Then you use the mouse to select the area(s) to attack as many times as the weapon and your skill allow. You then hit the "E" key to execute it.

I don't know anything about controllers, the game plays wonderfully with the keyboard and mouse.
Psst!

*whispers judgingly*

I think he's using... a console...

Eddie Haskell
03-02-09, 17:32
Psst!

*whispers judgingly*

I think he's using... a console...

That would make sense, but I am hearing more and more every day about PC gamers and their "controllers"... :(

And Dingaling, "direction" can be found anywhere in the game. Simply wandering and talking to people, or simply when they run up to you can result in a quest. I love the game for this, it allows me to wander around in any direction that I choose and at my own pace and still find something worthwhile to do. Wait until you meet the AntAgonizer and the Mechanist. I nearly laughed myself to death, I'm not kidding. The quests involved with those two (and simply speaking to and looking at them) are hilarious.

irjudd
03-02-09, 17:34
That would make sense, but I am hearing more and more every day about PC gamers and their "controllers"... :(
Well, to be honest, I find some games are just nicer with a controller. Fallout 3 is definitely not one of them. Nor Oblivion.

Primarily third person games, and racing games (not a fan of racing wheels) are more comfortably played with analog sticks.

interstellardave
03-02-09, 17:35
I play on the 360 and I've never had a problem with VATS. If you don't have action points it won't work, but just shoot normally several times and you should again get the use of VATS back.

On the 360 you should be able to play any game, without problems, until the controller is truly out of power... then the game will pause and it will say "reconnect controller".

Eddie Haskell
03-02-09, 17:41
Well, to be honest, I find some games are just nicer with a controller. Fallout 3 is definitely not one of them. Nor Oblivion.

Primarily third person games, and racing games (not a fan of racing wheels) are more comfortably played with analog sticks.

Before I die I may try one. Just for a last laugh before I bite the big one...

Ward Dragon
03-02-09, 20:23
Wait until you meet the AntAgonizer and the Mechanist. I nearly laughed myself to death, I'm not kidding. The quests involved with those two (and simply speaking to and looking at them) are hilarious.

Yeah, that was awesome :vlol: I was so taken aback with laughter that I stood there in the middle getting shot while I tried to comprehend what the hell was going on :vlol:

Eddie Haskell
03-02-09, 22:00
Yeah, that was awesome :vlol: I was so taken aback with laughter that I stood there in the middle getting shot while I tried to comprehend what the hell was going on :vlol:

As I was trying to solve the towns problem with these two idiots, I kept thinking that if this forum's members were the Fallout3 residents, than for sure I know who the AntAgonizer and the Mechanist would be... :vlol:

illuminati30
05-02-09, 11:47
Can anyone tell me, with Moria's task, bring her a land mine from that village, am i wasting my time actually looking for them, or do i need a high explosive skill to deactivate it? I am currently sitting at 30.

interstellardave
05-02-09, 12:00
Can anyone tell me, with Moria's task, bring her a land mine from that village, am i wasting my time actually looking for them, or do i need a high explosive skill to deactivate it? I am currently sitting at 30.

They are all over the town of Minefield (aptly named) and you should be able to deactivate at least one to take back to her. Go into 1st person view and look down--not straight down, but out in front you a bit and when you see one (they're pretty easily seen) move until your cursor is over it and quickly press "A" to disarm it. It will probably start beeping when you get close but will stop if you press "A" at the right time. I'd save before you try this and reload if you get blown up!

illuminati30
05-02-09, 12:45
They are all over the town of Minefield (aptly named) and you should be able to deactivate at least one to take back to her. Go into 1st person view and look down--not straight down, but out in front you a bit and when you see one (they're pretty easily seen) move until your cursor is over it and quickly press "A" to disarm it. It will probably start beeping when you get close but will stop if you press "A" at the right time. I'd save before you try this and reload if you get blown up!

LOL ok thanks, i will try now!

EDIT:

Got it. You gotta be quick. I dunno if i would have worked that out, i presumed that as soon as it started ticking, that was it, and it was a case of get out of there! The mistake i made was i went to Minefield when it was dark, and it's bloody hard to see them! I had to hunt on my return visit to find one i had not detonated lol

My PS3 has frozen twice today while playing this game :( I hope it's not a sign of things to come! I have also noticed the game no longer points on the map where to go for some quests i have not yet finished, such as 'blood ties' (although i do know where to go), instead it points to that impossible to find radio station, which is i presume, the main quest.

Eddie Haskell
05-02-09, 13:48
LOL ok thanks, i will try now!

EDIT:

Got it. You gotta be quick. I dunno if i would have worked that out, i presumed that as soon as it started ticking, that was it, and it was a case of get out of there! The mistake i made was i went to Minefield when it was dark, and it's bloody hard to see them! I had to hunt on my return visit to find one i had not detonated lol

My PS3 has frozen twice today while playing this game :( I hope it's not a sign of things to come! I have also noticed the game no longer points on the map where to go for some quests i have not yet finished, such as 'blood ties' (although i do know where to go), instead it points to that impossible to find radio station, which is i presume, the main quest.

I think that's the town with that sniper nut in it (Oklahoma, Alabama, or whatever his name was). I was collecting all of the mines when he started shooting, not at me but at the wrecked vehicles trying to blow them up (and of course yours truly with them). So I ran back and took him out with my own sniper rifle. By the way, you can get a pretty sizable amount of mines from there. I use them all the time utilizing the stealth boy to hide me as I plant them all around the enemy.

interstellardave
05-02-09, 13:49
After you disarm the mine be sure to press A again to pick it up, LOL! I'm guessing you figured that out, but I'd be remiss not to mention it.

The game points to where you need to go for your active quests. Just go to quests on your pipboy and you can choose which one you want to be active.

illuminati30
05-02-09, 13:55
I think that's the town with that sniper nut in it (Oklahoma, Alabama, or whatever his name was). I was collecting all of the mines when he started shooting, not at me but at the wrecked vehicles trying to blow them up (and of course yours truly with them). So I ran back and took him out with my own sniper rifle. By the way, you can get a pretty sizable amount of mines from there. I use them all the time utilizing the stealth boy to hide me as I plant them all around the enemy.

I sneaked up behind him, and shot him lol I let off most of the mines, it was dark when i got there! Lost a leg a many! :vlol:

The game points to where you need to go for your active quests. Just go to quests on your pipboy and you can choose which one you want to be active.

Yeah, I know, but having not finished 'blood ties' it no longer points on the map as to where to go, but it's ok, I remember, i am just curious as to why not.

I'm doing a lot better now, up at level five, my own place, rifles, grenades, flame rounds, even bought new armour, and just over 1000 caps to play with :jmp:

irjudd
05-02-09, 14:14
I like Moira, she sounds like she's from Wisconsin :D

Eddie Haskell
05-02-09, 14:21

More like Minnesota. Or somewhat like Sara Palin...:D

illuminati30
05-02-09, 14:24

I really can't stand her, her voice is so annoying, and she is that deranged kind of happy way, it's like she is talking to you as if you are a kid.

irjudd
05-02-09, 14:32
Or maybe Upper Peninsula of Michigan.

Dingaling
15-02-09, 17:54
Completed this a couple of days ago (with all the trophies, woo!). My VATs problem is indeed a controller problem but I have no idea why it does it.

I have a few gripes - one major and the others little.

My major gripe is the number of times this game froze on me. I think it froze on me roughly 20 or so times (excluding 'mini-freezes'). It's a problem that I had with Oblivion (on the 360). Maybe it was just the disc but it seems the two Bethesda console games have a huge problem with being on a console resulting in them freezing. It's just plain unacceptable. 20 times? And I think that's lower than the real number!

The ending, the pop-in of the textures and those god-awful Metro tunnels all annoyed me as well. I can't stand those Metro tunnels. Thank Xena for the Fast travel once you've discovered the location but having to crawl through them when needing to go to a place is mind-numbling dull and enraging - especially if, according to the map, the place you've to be is a couple of metres to the bloody left or right! No, you have to crawl through another bloody tunnel to get to your enxt destination.

Actually, upgrade those Metro tunnels to a major gripe. I really do hate them.

Uch, stupid tunnels. Die.

AnyHOO... great game overall though :). It took me 70-odd hours so it wasn't lacking in the length department like a lot of games nowadays.

illuminati30
15-02-09, 20:18
My major gripe is the number of times this game froze on me. I think it froze on me roughly 20 or so times (excluding 'mini-freezes'). It's a problem that I had with Oblivion (on the 360). Maybe it was just the disc but it seems the two Bethesda console games have a huge problem with being on a console resulting in them freezing. It's just plain unacceptable. 20 times? And I think that's lower than the real number!

On which platform? It has frozen twice on me with PS3. Oblivion froze many many times for me on 360.

Well done finishing the game with all trophies!

irjudd
15-02-09, 21:30
How odd. I remember the day that you got a console so that you wouldn't have to worry about bad framerates and game freezes. What happened? :vlol:

Cog
20-02-09, 14:28
First screenshots from The Pitt.
http://fallout.bethsoft.com/eng/art/fallout3-screenshots1.html

That AutoAxe is one sexy beast. DO WANT.

interstellardave
20-02-09, 14:33

Bethesda is equal opportunity, though... their games freeze a lot of times on both systems... you're the proof! I personally haven't had a big problem with Fallout freezing on the 360... twice in about 140 hours playing!

irjudd
20-02-09, 14:36
I've yet to have a freeze yet, but I've had a few crashes to desktop for unknown reasons.

Ward Dragon
20-02-09, 14:53
I've yet to have a freeze yet, but I've had a few crashes to desktop for unknown reasons.

Me too. I'm not 100% sure on this, but my paranoid suspicion is that the crashes happened if I hit the mouse wheel while the Pipboy was coming up on the screen. I was able to scroll though the menus with the wheel, but I think that using the wheel before the Pipboy is fully awake caused crashes for me (the mouse wheel was extremely sensitive on my mouse and I kept accidentally hitting it during normal gameplay which kept causing the view to switch to 3rd person. Took me a good few hours to figure out what was happening :o)

irjudd
20-02-09, 15:04
Me too. I'm not 100% sure on this, but my paranoid suspicion is that the crashes happened if I hit the mouse wheel while the Pipboy was coming up on the screen. I was able to scroll though the menus with the wheel, but I think that using the wheel before the Pipboy is fully awake caused crashes for me (the mouse wheel was extremely sensitive on my mouse and I kept accidentally hitting it during normal gameplay which kept causing the view to switch to 3rd person. Took me a good few hours to figure out what was happening :o)
Well I can be sure that those circumstances aren't the culprit behind my crashes. Mine always happened when loading cells.

Ward Dragon
20-02-09, 15:09
Well I can be sure that those circumstances aren't the culprit behind my crashes. Mine always happened when loading cells.

Hmm, it could still be the mouse wheel thing :pi: Do you keep your hand on the mouse while it's loading? I usually let go and stretch my arms or something (therefore no chance I hit the mouse wheel) and I've never had it crash during a loading screen. I'm probably just grasping at straws, though :p

irjudd
20-02-09, 15:16
Hmm, it could still be the mouse wheel thing :pi: Do you keep your hand on the mouse while it's loading? I usually let go and stretch my arms or something (therefore no chance I hit the mouse wheel) and I've never had it crash during a loading screen. I'm probably just grasping at straws, though :p
I generally rest my hands on my arm wrests while loading too, so I'm skeptical about your mousewheel theory :pi:

But when I say loading cells, I mean both loading screens and loading regions while running around.

Ward Dragon
20-02-09, 15:27
I generally rest my hands on my arm wrests while loading too, so I'm skeptical about your mousewheel theory :pi:

But when I say loading cells, I mean both loading screens and loading regions while running around.

Ah, I guess my theory is wrong (or maybe our crashes are caused by different things). I don't remember it crashing during any loading times, although the VATS mode froze for several seconds nearly every time (it came back to life if I just sat there, though, so it was annoying but not game-breaking).

irjudd
20-02-09, 15:29
It's such a complex game engine that is loading and processing so many things at one time, I'm sure there are lots of things that could potentially go wrong. Oblivion is the same way.

Ward Dragon
20-02-09, 15:33
It's such a complex game engine that is loading and processing so many things at one time, I'm sure there are lots of things that could potentially go wrong. Oblivion is the same way.

That's true. At least it let us save anywhere so I never lost too much time / effort due to crashes since I save frequently. I haven't played Oblivion yet, so I'm slightly disappointed that I have more crashes to look forward to :p

irjudd
20-02-09, 15:34
That's true. At least it let us save anywhere so I never lost too much time / effort due to crashes since I save frequently. I haven't played Oblivion yet, so I'm slightly disappointed that I have more crashes to look forward to :p
At least you're not like me who will wander around for an hour and forget to save :hea:

And it's not too bad in Oblivion. I'd rate the crashiness about equal between the two.

Ward Dragon
20-02-09, 15:35
At least you're not like me who will wander around for an hour and forget to save :hea:

I did forget to save a few times, but luckily the autosaves weren't too far back. Sorry to hear it didn't work out like that for you :(

And it's not too bad in Oblivion. I'd rate the crashiness about equal between the two.

I guess I can live with that as long as Oblivion lets me save anywhere too.

irjudd
20-02-09, 15:39
I did forget to save a few times, but luckily the autosaves weren't too far back. Sorry to hear it didn't work out like that for you :(
I guess I can live with that as long as Oblivion lets me save anywhere too.
I try to remember to quicksave often.

And Oblivion has quicksave just like Fallout 3. The control scheme is pretty close between the two. You'll feel instantly comfortable with it.

Ward Dragon
20-02-09, 15:46
I try to remember to quicksave often.

And Oblivion has quicksave just like Fallout 3. The control scheme is pretty close between the two. You'll feel instantly comfortable with it.

Excellent :D I found the control scheme to be acceptable in Fallout 3 (at least in 1st person mode; 3rd person sucked). Plus I love my quicksave ^_^

irjudd
20-02-09, 15:49
Excellent :D I found the control scheme to be acceptable in Fallout 3 (at least in 1st person mode; 3rd person sucked). Plus I love my quicksave ^_^
Oh yeah, 3rd person is even worse in Oblivion :pi:

To be honest, it's quite clear that Bethesda designed the games in 1st person and just threw in 3rd person as an afterthought.

I read somewhere once that they hadn't even included it in Oblivion until a few months before ship because beta testers kept requesting a 3rd person view. Which is why it's put together kind of shoddily.

illuminati30
20-02-09, 18:35
Curious at to whether anyone has played Fallout 1 or 2. Was it good? How did Bethesda end up with it, if it was made by interplay previously?

irjudd
24-02-09, 15:23
I never played the first two, but here is how it went down with Bethesda and Interplay:

Posted Apr 15, 2004 2:57 pm PT

CEO Herve Caen says his company will publish the postnuclear RPG, hints it is farming out development.
Following yesterday's conference call with investors, Interplay CEO Herve Caen casually dropped a bombshell. "We're planning to publish Fallout 3," he bluntly told an analyst who was inquiring about the PC role-playing game sequel.
The news came as a shock, given that the game community had all but dug Fallout 3's plot in the game graveyard. The bad news started last year when a series of prominent persons, including Feargus Urquhart (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6086046.html) and JE Sawyer (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6081708.html), left Fallout 3's developer, Black Isle Studios.
The departures sparked rumors of problems behind the scenes at Black Isle, Interplay's internal role-playing game studio. One of its premier projects, Baldur's Gate 3 (code-named "Jefferson") was put on indefinite hold following Interplay's loss of the Dungeons & Dragons license to Atari.
That left Fallout 3, the next chapter in one of the most widely admired RPG series of all time, as Black Isle's sole project. However, in November, Interplay shut down (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6085243.html) Black Isle, and sent its entire staff packing. With nobody working on Fallout 3--and its dismissed developers spitting venom--the industry assumed that the game was dead in the water. That is, until today.
Though Caen was uncharacteristically direct about Fallout 3's publishing plans, he was less so about its development. "Fallout 3 is not actively being developed right now," he said, "but we will have an announcement on that front soon, regarding that project."
Later in the session, Caen gave a hint about when that announcement may be. When an analyst asked if it was most likely that Fallout 3 would be developed by an external studio, Caen answered, "Correct."

Posted Jul 12, 2004 2:08 pm PT

Elder Scrolls developer licenses the beloved sci-fi RPG series from Interplay and is already hinting at sequels.
Role-playing gamers everywhere got a jolt of adrenaline today when Bethesda Softworks announced that it has licensed the Fallout franchise. Under the terms of the deal, Bethesda acquired exclusive international rights to publish Fallout games on PCs, consoles, handhelds, and other media from its current holder, troubled publisher Interplay. Interplay will still retain ownership of the Fallout intellectual property.
"We’re extremely excited about this opportunity and what it means both for Bethesda and for Fallout fans around the world,” said Vlatko Andonov, president of Bethesda Softworks. "Fallout is one of the great RPG franchises. Millions of Fallout games have been sold worldwide, and fans have been eagerly awaiting the release of a Fallout 3 title."
Although Bethesda's first Fallout game will be called Fallout 3, it is unlikely it will be the same game--code-named "Van Buren"--that was being developed (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6085620.html) by Interplay's internal Black Isle Studios. Black Isle was all but shut down (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6085243.html) last fall as part of Interplay's cost-cutting measures, which saw both work on the game stop and the departure of virtually all of its developers.
Though its financial terms were not disclosed, the Fallout license deal will give a much-needed injection of cash to Interplay, which is facing severe financial difficulty (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6101470.html). The company's controversial CEO, Herve Caen, only had good things to say about the transaction. "This is a good agreement for both companies and for gamers," he said in a statement. "Although several parties had a high level of interest in licensing Fallout, we are most impressed by Bethesda’s execution of role-playing titles. Bethesda is an ideal steward of the Fallout franchise."
Indeed, the Fallout series is being taken over by one of the more well-respected role-playing game developers in business today. Bethesda's Elder Scrolls series has won numerous awards, most recently for Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind, its sprawling third installment for the PC and Xbox. The first Elder Scrolls game was released in 1994, three years before the still-celebrated Fallout hit PCs.
According to Bethesda, Fallout 3 will be developed alongside the next Elder Scrolls and under the direction of executive producer Todd Howard. Also, since Bethesda is currently hiring developers (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6100799.html) for "future-generation consoles," a GameCube, PlayStation 2, or Xbox version of Fallout 3 is highly unlikely.
No release date for Fallout 3 has been set, but Bethesda has already hinted that it intends to "publish additional sequels." However, none of these sequels will be the Fallout MMORPG Caen mentioned last month. In a separate press release, Interplay announced that it is retaining "all online gaming rights for the Fallout franchise." It is unclear how this would affect any online component of a Bethesda-developed Fallout game.

Posted Apr 13, 2007 6:45 am PT

Three years after landing the rights to the futuristic RPG series, Oblivion developer now owns the property itself; Interplay to continue with Fallout-branded MMOG.
It's been long known (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6102349.html) that Bethesda Softworks is working on the post-apocalyptic sci-fi role-playing game Fallout 3--which is rumoured to be coming to the Xbox 360 (http://uk.gamespot.com/news/show_blog_entry.php?topic_id=25330416)--some might have forgotten that Interplay is also planning a Fallout massively multiplayer online game (http://www.gamespot.com/news/6163235.html), due in 2010.
According to a Securities and Exchange Commission ruling (http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/1057232/000117091807000324/0001170918-07-000324.txt) this week uncovered by fan site No Mutants Allowed (http://www.nma-fallout.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=35621), Bethesda has bought the exclusive rights to the Fallout brand, for a sum of $5.75 million. Previously, the company had only licensed the rights to make a game, while Interplay retained ownership of the Fallout IP.
Under the terms of the agreement, Interplay will still be allowed to go ahead with its MMOG game, although "all the rights, titles, and interest" to Fallout are now the sole property of Bethesda. So, in essence, now Interplay is licensing the Fallout MMOG rights from Bethesda.
Under the terms of the deal, the Fallout MMOG will be not playable in a single-player mode or offline in any way--it will require some kind of monthly subscription, and a minimum of 10,000 subscribers. On top of that, the license specifically states that the game must only be for non-console platforms like the PC or Mac, and not use any console online services such as Xbox Live.
The Fallout MMOG might not be out until around 2013, however. The contract states that the project must be commercially launched within four years of the development commencement date, which could start any time within the next two years.
The original game, Fallout, was released in 1997 for the PC as an unofficial sequel to the 1987 game Wasteland. It was set after a series of nuclear explosions had devastated the world and people survived by living in huge underground vaults. A sequel, Fallout 2, followed in 1998, along with various spin-offs, including Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel for the Xbox and PlayStation 2 in 2004.

Lavinder
15-03-09, 12:48
LOL

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y227/lavinder/thumb.jpg

irjudd
15-03-09, 12:49
Good job :tmb:

Ward Dragon
15-03-09, 17:28
Is that from the DLC?

illuminati30
13-05-09, 23:23
I am sorry to necro post, but after having not played the game since February, I went back to it, and finished it tonight. Anyone else a bit disappointed that the main quest is not longer?

Ward Dragon
13-05-09, 23:29
I am sorry to necro post, but after having not played the game since February, I went back to it, and finished it tonight. Anyone else a bit disappointed that the main quest is not longer?

Yeah, totally. The ending majorly sucked :hea: The Broken Steel DLC supposedly erases the ending that you saw and extends the main campaign a bit longer. I haven't played it myself yet because I don't have the energy to get back into the game.

illuminati30
13-05-09, 23:32
Yeah, totally. The ending majorly sucked :hea: The Broken Steel DLC supposedly erases the ending that you saw and extends the main campaign a bit longer. I haven't played it myself yet because I don't have the energy to get back into the game.

I did quite a lot of side missions and leveled up to about level 14, then i got a bit fed up. Been into it again recently, and thought I would tackle the main mission, but i was expecting it to be much longer than this :confused:

SamuelCroft
13-05-09, 23:38

Defo. :)

I was reading OPSM UK last week, and there seemed to be news on it? about Fallout: New Vages. It supposed to run alongside Fallout 3, and so not be a sequel. It was in the 'could be a contender' section, and the developer etc were named. Sound exciting?

illuminati30
13-05-09, 23:41
Defo. :)

I was reading OPSM UK last week, and there seemed to be news on it? about Fallout: New Vages. It supposed to run alongside Fallout 3, and so not be a sequel. It was in the 'could be a contender' section, and the developer etc were named. Sound exciting?

Cool. i would like some kind of haven incorporated into the next installment. An area, and maybe just a small area, untouched by radiation and nuclear fallout. The wastelands can become a bit depressing.

> Would like to be able to go back to the game and do other side missions after the main story is over, but it seems i can't!

Ward Dragon
13-05-09, 23:44
Cool. i would like some kind of haven incorporated into the next installment. An area, and maybe just a small area, untouched by radiation and nuclear fallout. The wastelands can become a bit depressing.

You haven't fully explored the north end of the map yet, have you? ;)

> Would like to be able to go back to the game and do other side missions after the main story is over, but it seems i can't!

You can load a save from before the Liberty Prime section and don't complete the main quest.

illuminati30
13-05-09, 23:46
You haven't fully explored the north end of the map yet, have you? ;)

I presume you don't mean the simulation lol

You can load a save from before the Liberty Prime section and don't complete the main quest.

Yeah, already done that to find out the alternative ending. Shouldn't need to do that though!

Ward Dragon
13-05-09, 23:49
I presume you don't mean the simulation lol

Nope. There's an oasis in the mountains. I heard about it and went looking for it. It was a real pain in the ass to find, even after I looked at a walkthrough to get the exact location.

Yeah, already done that to find out the alternative ending. Shouldn't need to do that though!

I agree that you shouldn't have to do that. I think the Broken Steel DLC fixes this, but I don't know for sure.

SamuelCroft
14-05-09, 00:03

Yea. You have to load previous saves. I messed up 2 coinciding missions, failed one, and the other didn't register that i had completed it. But I have all of the rest of them done, so I might start again if I'm bothered!

PS, ill take a photo of the mag tomorrow and upload it for yall to read. :)

illuminati30
14-05-09, 00:06
PS, ill take a photo of the mag tomorrow and upload it for yall to read. :)

:D Cool.

Eddie Haskell
14-05-09, 00:25
Nope. There's an oasis in the mountains. I heard about it and went looking for it. It was a real pain in the ass to find, even after I looked at a walkthrough to get the exact location.

I agree that you shouldn't have to do that. I think the Broken Steel DLC fixes this, but I don't know for sure.

Walkthrough..................... :(

I found that oasis using a systematic search technique. Using this methodology I do not miss anything in a given area.

That tree/man is something else... :eek:

Ward Dragon
14-05-09, 00:35
Walkthrough..................... :(

I found that oasis using a systematic search technique. Using this methodology I do not miss anything in a given area.

That tree/man is something else... :eek:

I tried finding it for nearly an hour and then I decided that I didn't care enough to waste time finding it myself. I didn't really like wandering around the wasteland because the controls sucked and everything looked the same anyway so it was really boring and frustrating to me. I had more fun doing the actual quests.

Eddie Haskell
14-05-09, 00:43
I tried finding it for nearly an hour and then I decided that I didn't care enough to waste time finding it myself. I didn't really like wandering around the wasteland because the controls sucked and everything looked the same anyway so it was really boring and frustrating to me. I had more fun doing the actual quests.

Heh heh, hit a sore spot did I? Sorry. :o

Since I have never used a walkthrough (really, I never have), I am very curious about this issue: Does using a walkthrough make it easier to use it again and again when one gets stymied? My brother and nephews say that it is a curse that so much information is at ones fingertips these days.

Ward Dragon
14-05-09, 00:51
Heh heh, hit a sore spot did I? Sorry. :o

Not really a sore spot :) I just wanted to explain that I wouldn't have used a walkthrough if I was enjoying the search :p Although I did find it really irritating how my character couldn't jump very high or grab ledges, and there seemed to be invisible walls whenever I tried jumping in certain areas.

Since I have never used a walkthrough (really, I never have), I am very curious about this issue: Does using a walkthrough make it easier to use it again and again when one gets stymied? My brother and nephews say that it is a curse that so much information is at ones fingertips these days.

If I look at a walkthrough once then it does get more tempting to look at it more frequently, but I resist unless I've been stuck for so long that it's not fun anymore (or else I think I've encountered a bug, in which case I do a search to see what bugs are recorded for the game).

SamuelCroft
14-05-09, 12:55
I agree with Ward Dragon. I play through a game then use a guide to make sure I've seen everything, but the Fallot3 guide, to me, was very difficult to follow. Mainly because there are so many routes in which you could take them.

And, as promised... Fallout: New Vagas!
http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj406/SamuelCroft/DSC00444.jpg
http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj406/SamuelCroft/DSC00445.jpg
http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj406/SamuelCroft/DSC00446.jpg
http://i554.photobucket.com/albums/jj406/SamuelCroft/DSC00447.jpg

illuminati30
14-05-09, 16:14

Just out of interest, what is the method?

Thanks for the scan Samuel Croft :D

Eddie Haskell
14-05-09, 18:14
Just out of interest, what is the method?

Thanks for the scan Samuel Croft :D

It's not really earth-shaking or difficult. You must use the map, and you must further break it down into a "grid" (using distance estimates, landmarks and access). This grid is made up of varying sized squares (because topography and access can sometimes prevent you from reaching certain areas). Then you systematically move through the "grid", covering every area thoroughly in a up and back fashion. After completely covering an area, move on to another adjouning area in which you established a grid.

It is simple and foolproof. :)

irjudd
16-05-09, 21:06
Anybody tried Broken Steel yet? I am curious but don't feel like spending $10 on DLC.

Ward Dragon
16-05-09, 22:00
Anybody tried Broken Steel yet? I am curious but don't feel like spending $10 on DLC.

I'm curious too. I don't have the energy to get back into Fallout 3 right now, plus I'm not 100% sure how the DLC works on PC, so I have not bought it yet.

larafan25
16-05-09, 22:23
I have totally lost ionterest in fallout 3....I don't know what happened,but I cannot run anymore,which means I cannot jump to higher places,this means it takes sooooo long for me to get around....I have tried rest and water and health stuff....but nothing works:)

so is the next fallout being developed by someone else apparently??:)

Ward Dragon
16-05-09, 22:32
I have totally lost ionterest in fallout 3....I don't know what happened,but I cannot run anymore,which means I cannot jump to higher places,this means it takes sooooo long for me to get around....I have tried rest and water and health stuff....but nothing works:)

so is the next fallout being developed by someone else apparently??:)

You're carrying too much and/or you have been irradiated and need to get cured to restore your strength :)

irjudd
16-05-09, 23:03
So rather than figure out why your character is over encumbered ... you just gave up?

Ward Dragon
16-05-09, 23:08
So rather than figure out why your character is over encumbered ... you just gave up?

To be fair, the radiation thing confused the hell out of me at first so I can see how it would be frustrating. I just stood there for several minutes trying to figure out why I was suddenly encumbered even though I hadn't picked anything up, then I realized my strength stat was lower then it should be, and finally I figured out that it was due to being irradiated :p

irjudd
16-05-09, 23:12
This is why you're supposed to RTFM while the game installs :ton:

:D

Ward Dragon
16-05-09, 23:15
This is why you're supposed to RTFM while the game installs :ton:

:D

But my brother's PC is so fast that the game installed in seconds :ton: Seriously though, I did read through the manual but I must have forgotten by the time I got irradiated :p I didn't get irradiated until several hours into the game when I did it on purpose for Moira's book.

Eddie Haskell
16-05-09, 23:19
But my brother's PC is so fast that the game installed in seconds :ton: Seriously though, I did read through the manual but I must have forgotten by the time I got irradiated :p I didn't get irradiated until several hours into the game when I did it on purpose for Moira's book.

I always read the entire manual carefully before playing any game. They make good "loo reading room" material.

Ward Dragon
16-05-09, 23:22
I always read the entire manual carefully before playing any game. They make good "loo reading room" material.

I don't remember things from manuals until it comes up in the game anyway. Same thing with textbooks, for that matter. I can't retain the information until I've actually had to use it :o

Dingaling
19-05-09, 16:57
The Fallout 3 DLC is coming to PS3 in June. Can't link cos on PS3 but checkout PS3 Fanboy for the news =). Plus there's two more DLC Packs coming to all three platforms but the PS3 will get them after they've both ben released on the PC and Xbox 360.

Can link now cos I'm on PC: Source (http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/19/fallout-3-dlc-coming-to-ps3-beginning-late-june-two-new-multipl/)

irjudd
19-05-09, 17:53
Good for you guys :tmb: It's rude to be left out.

illuminati30
21-05-09, 22:44
The Fallout 3 DLC is coming to PS3 in June. Can't link cos on PS3 but checkout PS3 Fanboy for the news =). Plus there's two more DLC Packs coming to all three platforms but the PS3 will get them after they've both ben released on the PC and Xbox 360.

Can link now cos I'm on PC: Source (http://www.joystiq.com/2009/05/19/fallout-3-dlc-coming-to-ps3-beginning-late-june-two-new-multipl/)

Any idea on price? Or is it free considering the ending was such a let down?

Dingaling
21-05-09, 22:49
Any idea on price? Or is it free considering the ending was such a let down?

Uh, $10 in US so probably about £7 or £8 or 800MSP.

irjudd
27-05-09, 17:06
I just stumbled across this and wanted to point it out to the rest of us who aren't keen on downloading the stuff:

http://www.gamestop.com/common/images/lbox/647595b.jpg
http://www.gamestop.com/Catalog/ProductDetails.aspx?product_id=74632

Apparently two of the DLC are available in disc format now :)

Ward Dragon
27-05-09, 20:43
Apparently two of the DLC are available in disc format now :)

Cool, although Broken Steel is the one I really wanted. Are you sure that's a disc with the material on it and not just a card with a code to download the games from Live?

irjudd
27-05-09, 20:53
I'm just going by the fact that they are selling a case with "PC DVD" stamped on it.

Ward Dragon
27-05-09, 21:00
I'm just going by the fact that they are selling a case with "PC DVD" stamped on it.

Okay. I looked up the TRU expansion token pack and it explicitly says no disc included, so I guess we can conclude that there is a disc in the Fallout 3 expansion pack since it doesn't say there isn't. Oh well, I'm sure if we actually see it in a store it will be obvious whether it's a game case or just a card :p

irjudd
27-05-09, 22:37
Yes, we'll conclude that :)

I also am really only interested in the Broken Steel expansion. But I suppose if I'm totally out of other gaming options some day I'll pick up this Anchorage/Pitt set.

DragonSlayer
08-06-09, 14:39
Does anyone know what the code for the ammo box in the statesman hotel is? reilly never gave me the code when i went to the ranger compound and i can't seem to find it on the fallout wiki.

Carbonek_0051
08-06-09, 14:41
I am glad I waited for this game, now I can get the Game of the Year edition with all 5 expansions.:D

I just need to get a 120GB HDD for my 360 now so I can put them all on there.:p

Minty Mouth
08-06-09, 15:53
Just discovered this game, and I cant believe Ive been missing out for so long! Its a great RPG :tmb:

stereopathic
08-06-09, 15:56
Does anyone know what the code for the ammo box in the statesman hotel is? reilly never gave me the code when i went to the ranger compound and i can't seem to find it on the fallout wiki.

it's not a code you enter so she has to give it to you. i guess you can try to explore some more of her dialog tree to see if you can get her to give it to you. unfortunately that's the best advice i have for you. maybe someone else here knows more.

tranniversary119
08-06-09, 16:06
Just discovered this game, and I cant believe Ive been missing out for so long! Its a great RPG :tmb:

Totally agree :tmb:

Minty Mouth
08-06-09, 16:13
Dont know if this is the best place to ask, but are there any other towns in the game where you can get a house besides Megaton?

interstellardave
08-06-09, 16:41
Dont know if this is the best place to ask, but are there any other towns in the game where you can get a house besides Megaton?

Tenpenny Tower... if you choose to blow up Megaton rather than save it. It's easier to get in and out of the Megaton house though.

Minty Mouth
08-06-09, 16:42
Tenpenny Tower... if you choose to blow up Megaton rather than save it. It's easier to get in and out of the Megaton house though.

Tenpenny tower, I have a quest there, but Have no idea where it is. Its not on my map yet :o

interstellardave
08-06-09, 16:44
Tenpenny tower, I have a quest there, but Have no idea where it is. Its not on my map yet :o

What's the quest? No matter what it is if you make it the active quest the onscreen indicator should point you in the direction you need to go... then you just need to go there (often more difficult to do than say!).

tranniversary119
08-06-09, 16:44

Maybe you didn't activate the quest yet?

Minty Mouth
08-06-09, 16:47
What's the quest? No matter what it is if you make it the active quest the onscreen indicator should point you in the direction you need to go... then you just need to go there (often more difficult to do than say!).

Maybe you didn't activate the quest yet?

Its the slave one Strictly business. Its not the only place where I can get a slave, so its not got a marker.

Samsdad
08-06-09, 16:51
Slowly making my way through this game. (Can only play about 2-3 hours a week). Fascinating how you can stumble into a path you did not want to follow. It was only when I started to pick up stuff from the "family" and my Karma started to drop that I realized that there might have been another way to handle the situation, but by that time it was too late. (I generally have a rule that going back to a previous save to correct a bad decision is a nono. I try to live with my mistakes)

Minty Mouth
08-06-09, 16:58
Slowly making my way through this game. (Can only play about 2-3 hours a week). Fascinating how you can stumble into a path you did not want to follow. It was only when I started to pick up stuff from the "family" and my Karma started to drop that I realized that there might have been another way to handle the situation, but by that time it was too late. (I generally have a rule that going back to a previous save to correct a bad decision is a nono. I try to live with my mistakes)

What do you mean by "pick up stuff"? :confused:

stereopathic
08-06-09, 17:08

if you travel west, near the southern border of the map, you'll see it on the horizon before too long. it's a VERY tall tower. :)

Samsdad
08-06-09, 17:43
What do you mean by "pick up stuff"? :confused:

Well I was trying to gain access to the "Families" location and I ended up killing this guard and when I went to pick up some of the goodies lying aroung I got the message that my Karma went down. I ended up having to kill all of the members of the Family, since the remaining members automatically attacked on sight. (How they knew I bumped off the guard is beyond me)