PDA

View Full Version : CPU always at >50% speed

Punaxe
17-09-08, 22:37
Hey guys, hopefully you can help me out with this...

http://files.noctifer.net/laptopslow.jpg

My laptop, which should be running at 1,86GHz when needed, never goes above 798MHz as far as I've seen. Now I realize this isn't really required when I'm just playing Solitaire all the time, but even today when my computer was slowing down horribly because one application was doing some video, I still found my CPU taking no effort at all to make up for this and still fairing its jolly old 798MHz way. It was not running on batteries.

That's not how it's supposed to be, is it?

EDIT: Whoops, can't change the subject anymore. Meant <50%, obviously.

spikejones
17-09-08, 22:55
and here i thought you were referring to you CPU was constantly running at 50% of its maximum stress. as per this issue I guess you should look into any over/under-clocking software that might be installed on it. Also check in your BIOS to see if perhaps it has been manually set to a lower rate than what it is supposed to be doing.

EscondeR
18-09-08, 04:49
Things to look on:

1. Speed/performance/cooling settings in BIOS Setup (press Del or F2 at boot). Especially so called "smart" ones.

2. Power profile - if you're mostly on stationary outlet, set it to Always On.

3. Underclocking/power saving/tweaking software as SJ suggested.

Punaxe
20-09-08, 00:17
Hmm I always thought that those different power profiles were no more than individual settings concerning when to switch off monitor/harddisk and when to go into standby mode. Anyways, I switched to Always On and checked the BIOS, but couldn't find anything. It still seems to be running as slow as before. I know of no software that I've installed that could be influencing the CPU like this... How can I make sure?

Any other possibly causes?

aktrekker
20-09-08, 07:10
NM. Forgot laptops actually change their clock speed.

Try running something intensive, like a game. See if the CPU speeds up.

aussie500
20-09-08, 09:05
Not that l am a technical expert, but maybe your laptop was slowing down horribly Punaxe because it was running low on available RAM rather than processing power? If you were editing or encoding video it usually takes a fair bit of RAM, if you have some reserved for something else and were obviously running other programs to notice the slowdown, you should expect your PC to slow a bit.

Admles
20-09-08, 11:48
I think this is part of the Intel Speedstep technology, which adjusts voltage and bus speed etc in relation to power consumption.

I understand that the speed will fluctuate based on what you are doing; it will drop back when power needs to be conserved.

You could try changing the power properties - there should be an icon in the bottom, right-hand corner of the screen that will allow you to change the power scheme. Give it a try and see how you go.

Punaxe
21-09-08, 01:09
Thanks for the comments guys, but so far, no improvement yet... :(

NM. Forgot laptops actually change their clock speed.

Try running something intensive, like a game. See if the CPU speeds up.

Well I did already which made me notice the problem in the first place, but just in case I fired up some things once more:

http://files.noctifer.net/stresstest.jpg

I'd think it might want to switch to more than Pentium 3's average...

Not that l am a technical expert, but maybe your laptop was slowing down horribly Punaxe because it was running low on available RAM rather than processing power? If you were editing or encoding video it usually takes a fair bit of RAM, if you have some reserved for something else and were obviously running other programs to notice the slowdown, you should expect your PC to slow a bit.

I was camming, actually :p My girlfriend's cam had quite a good resolution and high frequency, but nothing my PC shouldn't be able to handle...

I think this is part of the Intel Speedstep technology, which adjusts voltage and bus speed etc in relation to power consumption.

I understand that the speed will fluctuate based on what you are doing; it will drop back when power needs to be conserved.

You could try changing the power properties - there should be an icon in the bottom, right-hand corner of the screen that will allow you to change the power scheme. Give it a try and see how you go.

Yeah, I did that... See previous post (http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showpost.php?p=3057080&postcount=4). Could I perhaps adjust the speedstepper's configuration somehow?