PDA

View Full Version : LOTR Online - Skype

Lavinder
22-09-08, 20:17
When playing on LOTR Online I seem to suffer with terrible lag while using Skype at the same time. I do not understand this because Jamie uses Skype at the same time as playing and he suffers no lag whereas we have nearly the same connection speed.

Does anyone know what the problem could be ?

Thanks.

spikejones
22-09-08, 20:43
could be related to other applications running on your computer as well as firewall and NAT configuration. check the ports being used by Skype as well as LOTR online and adjust them if need be. Just be sure to update the Router and Firewall settings accordingly.

Lavinder
22-09-08, 20:55
Have done so, changed the port for Skype to the same one as Jamie's because I read that Skype literally rapes loads of ports. This obviously did not work, knowing my luck.

I've tried setting my firewall up accordingly, and I even turned it off and ended all processes to do with it and still I'm getting severe lag. LOTR Online has its ports forwarded in my router as well. The port I am using for Skype is 64473 if that's any help?

Also, I'm not on a direct connection - I'm using a wireless adapter, will this affect anything? That's the only difference I can see between mine an Jamie's setup seeing as his is direct.

Cheers.

spikejones
22-09-08, 22:36
try connecting straight to modem and see if it improves (other network traffic can cause lags).

EscondeR
22-09-08, 22:37
1. Wireless connection is the root of your issue most likely.

2. Also the hardware can affect (RAM amount, CPU speed). Is your system as powerful as Jamie's?

Lavinder
23-09-08, 16:26
1. Wireless connection is the root of your issue most likely.

2. Also the hardware can affect (RAM amount, CPU speed). Is your system as powerful as Jamie's?

1. It may be, but I've never had any other problems with it slowing down games while on Skype. The root of my problem seems to be Skype it is the only thing that triggers the lag.

2. Our computers are nearly identical, seeing as he helped me build it - the only difference is that his graphics card a slightly more memory than mine, although mine is a 512MB :).

Also I cannot connect directly to the router, I would to wire it all the way downstairs and my parents won't allow me.

spikejones
23-09-08, 16:52
1. It may be, but I've never had any other problems with it slowing down games while on Skype. The root of my problem seems to be Skype it is the only thing that triggers the lag.

2. Our computers are nearly identical, seeing as he helped me build it - the only difference is that his graphics card a slightly more memory than mine, although mine is a 512MB :).

Also I cannot connect directly to the router, I would to wire it all the way downstairs and my parents won't allow me.

use a different PC then?
try when no one else is on the network?

Lavinder
23-09-08, 17:04
use a different PC then?
try when no one else is on the network?

I cannot use another PC, the only PC powerful enough is my dads private passworded one which he never lets me touch ;). And I would not like to play it on another pc, so that's that suggestion cut dead.

No one ever is usually on the network :).

EscondeR
23-09-08, 19:10
Can you make a temporary wired connection to the router (without drilling) and look if the speed changes significantly enough to convince your parents you need a wired connection?

spikejones
23-09-08, 19:19
or... if possible (assuming there is connection for the ISP outlet in your room)

move modem and router to your room, connect with wired connection, leave other devices as wireless.

I personally see no reason to have a desktop machine as wireless except in the case that one desires strongly to have no cables running along the floor. however with properly installed cable runs w/outlets this is not a messy thing and IMO increases the value of the property.

Lavinder
23-09-08, 19:50
Can you make a temporary wired connection to the router (without drilling) and look if the speed changes significantly enough to convince your parents you need a wired connection?

I've asked my dad about this before, we do not have a long enough cable I do not think :).

or... if possible (assuming there is connection for the ISP outlet in your room)

move modem and router to your room, connect with wired connection, leave other devices as wireless.

I personally see no reason to have a desktop machine as wireless except in the case that one desires strongly to have no cables running along the floor. however with properly installed cable runs w/outlets this is not a messy thing and IMO increases the value of the property.

Nope there is not one in my room unfortunately. Trust me, my parents will not let me have a wired connection. He bought a wireless router just to get rid of the wires ;).

Apofiss
23-09-08, 20:17
I had the same problem, if everything fails try MSN messenger instead.. it causes no lags :}

Lavinder
23-09-08, 20:22
I had the same problem, if everything fails try MSN messenger instead.. it causes no lags :}

Oh god no, can't stand it. I like Skype, clear voice quality and I'm use to using it with Jamie all the time.

EscondeR
24-09-08, 20:01
Laura, do you use an USB wireless adapter?

If yes, get a laptop for a day, plug the dongle in and check the connection quality in your room, downstairs, near the router. Most likely some building constructions or wiring cause interference in your room.

Lavinder
24-09-08, 20:24
Laura, do you use an USB wireless adapter?

If yes, get a laptop for a day, plug the dongle in and check the connection quality in your room, downstairs, near the router. Most likely some building constructions or wiring cause interference in your room.

The signal in my room is always low, and when near to the router it's high - but even so I never get hindered speeds, I get speeds up to 800k a second while downloading.

EDIT : I'd hate to jinx it but I forwarded the ports for Skype in to my router settings and ever since then it seems to have stopped the lag. =/